Freedom Updates

Besides the 2-1 loss at Chicago last night, the Washington Freedom has been busy on the personnel front.

Midfielder Joanna Lohman was waived, but if none of the other six clubs claims her, the Freedom plans to re-sign her to a developmental contract. Washington needed an opening on the 18-player senior roster to activate midfielder Sarah Huffman, who has made steady progress rehabbing from a preseason knee injury and might return in a few weeks. Coach Jim Gabarra said Huffman's possible availability was necessitated by French star Sonia Bompastor's departure in early August. What? Bompastor's leaving?

The European Championship begins Aug. 23 in Finland and, as a result, several WPS players will have to report to their national teams early that month and miss the league's postseason.

Meantime, Gabarra said midfielder Allie Long, who has been sidelined with a sprained toe, should be available in two weeks. Washington (4-5-4) hosts league-leading Los Angeles (10-1-4) this Sunday at 6 p.m. at Maryland SoccerPlex.

By Steve Goff  |  July 2, 2009; 1:48 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Gold Cup Additions
Next: South African Safety

Comments

The European Championship will hit the WPS playoffs. Damn.

Posted by: KG118 | July 2, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Bompy is leaving!?! My reaction is just like yours Goff. I am a HUGE fan. I freakinf LOVE the player. For my money, she is the most effective and best or second best (Wambach)player on the team.

How can she be splitting?!?! What is going on? Was she only here on loan?

She is one of the best players in the league.

SICK player.

Posted by: yankiboy | July 2, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I think Gabarra just means she'll be playing in the Euros during August, right?

Posted by: loosek | July 2, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I agree yankiboy, she IS a sick player. Always fun to watch.

Posted by: loosek | July 2, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Another sick Freedom player is Erin McLeod. She was phenomenal last night, making insane saves. It's like she did all the work. Defense really needs to step up on Sunday. And whaddaya know, they'll be playing against Team Marta.

Posted by: KG118 | July 2, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Who has the US broadcast rights to the Women's Euro tournament? Setanta? :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 2, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

WPS couldn't schedule around it?

I think they need to go to a fall-spring schedule.

Posted by: Reignking | July 2, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

... and a single table, Reignking.

I'll be there Sunday -- anybody heading to the Biergarten at halftime?

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 2, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"Who has the US broadcast rights to the Women's Euro tournament? Setanta? :-)"

In all seriousness, FSC showed every game 4 years ago and I thought they were very entertaining overall. Germany dominated the tourney, and Italy was out of their depth. Every other game was close and hard fought. Germany probably won't be so dominating this time (I guess) so it should be fun.

Posted by: richcadieux1 | July 2, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Damn.

"The European Championships begin the day after the (WPS) final, and because it's a protected tournament date, FIFA rules say players have to be released to their national teams 14 days before the start of the tournament. Every player asked has indicated they will be leaving after their team's final regular-season game on Aug. 8 or 9."

Posted by: KG118 | July 2, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

-- anybody heading to the Biergarten at halftime?

I'll already be there...

Posted by: seahawkdad | July 2, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks guys. I was sleepin' on the UEFA tournament...

Posted by: yankiboy | July 2, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@jd: I'm trying to go on Sunday but I won't be headed to the Beergarten...

Posted by: yankiboy | July 2, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Anorthosis 5-0 Käerjéng

You can't stop Anorthosis.

Posted by: Reignking | July 2, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

You can't stop Anorthosis.

Posted by: Reignking | July 2, 2009 2:54 PM
----------------------------------------------

Especially true, now that they're limiting the dosage for Tylenol.

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there Sunday -- anybody heading to the Biergarten at halftime?
Posted by: joedoc1
=================

I'll try . Check your e-mail for more information.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 2, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I met Joanna Lohman in person at a club...she's a party animal i can tell you that : ) can't say much about her playing though.

Posted by: ttn703 | July 2, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Trivia: Who was the "Golden Player" of the 1st ever womens Euros (1984)?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 2, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Margaret Thatcher. No, no. Pia Sundhage. (I haven't looked, I swear)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 2, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

My Slumdog Millionaire moment. The only 50-ish European women's player I can name.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 2, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Good going WPS, your playoffs will be a joke with the Euro players gone. Why not just give LA the trophy now.

Posted by: griffin1108 | July 2, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

270 don't forget about this Euro woman who also was hot in 1984 . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | July 2, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Aren't we due for another Women's Gold Cup - next year at playoff time?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 2, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Freedom-Bompastor = early exit from the playoffs (assuming we make them, which I think we will). She is head and shoulders the best player on the team, and one of the best in the league.

Posted by: JamesDougan | July 2, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF: shoot me an email, if you don't mind:

joedoc2112@gmail.com

Gotta question for you.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 2, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Just about every WPS team's best player is going to be called up for the Euros (Boston - Kelly Smith, LA - Camille Abily, and so on), so they're all going to be hurting. It's unfortunate that WPS didn't try harder to schedule around it since it makes such a mockery of their playoffs.

Posted by: kevinwparker | July 2, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Where did Bomp play on the field last night?

Posted by: sitruc | July 2, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Bomp played at LB for most of the game until the 70th minute when Sarah Senty came in. Bomp than moved up to midfield.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | July 2, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I suppose you could say she was bomped up to midfield.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 2, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Ladies championships in Euro have come a long way since 1984. Kenilworth Road (Luton) is a dump of a stadium. But atmosphere it has.

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | July 3, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse