Freedom's Wambach and Whitehill Called Up

Abby Wambach and Cat Whitehill will likely miss the Freedom's game at RFK Stadium on July 18 against St. Louis Athletica because of call-ups to the U.S. national team. The United States is preparing for games against Canada on July 19 in Rochester, N.Y., and July 22 in Charleston, S.C.

Whitehill has not played for the United States since May 2008, and Wambach has played just once since injuring her knee during preparations for the 2008 Olympics. Wambach is in search of her 100th goal in international play and will have the chance to score it in her home town of Rochester.

St. Louis also will be short-handed for the Freedom match because of national team duty. Athletica will be without defender Lori Chalupny and goalkeeper Hope Solo. The game is the last of three doubleheaders with D.C. United, which will play the Colorado Rapids.

By Greg Manifold  |  July 6, 2009; 4:48 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Notes from RFK...x2
Next: Onyewu to Milan *Updated*

Comments

freedom/united doubleheader is 7/18 not 19, and it is the last of the 3 RFK double headers

Posted by: OWNTF | July 6, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Whitehill's shot last not was incredible -- hit the post from about 38 yards.

If I wrote the headline:

"Cat Nips Post in Freedom Loss"

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 6, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

too bad ali krieger didn't get called up

Posted by: KG118 | July 6, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Or Sauerbrunn. That bicycle clearance off the line last night was tip top.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 6, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

St. Louis players breathe a sign of relief, but the Canadians place their orders for steel shin guards.

No call-up for McLeod? How far down the depth chart is she?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 6, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

maybe canada hasn't announced their roster yet. mcleod and leblanc deserve to be called up.

and yeah sauerbrunn's clearance was sick. i really thought the ball was going to go in.

Posted by: KG118 | July 6, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I could watch Cat Whitehill kick the ball for an hour. And get out of the way of it in a miniscule fraction of that.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 6, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

The full roster's pretty conservative - not a lot of new names there. I'd like to see a little more experimentation, like including a certain young Freedom central defender. I mean, if Sauerbrunn didn't earn a call-up with last night's performance, I don't know what she has to do (and Sundhage and Riise were there in person to witness it).

Posted by: kevinwparker | July 6, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I am pretty sure Pia decided on the players she was going to call up on the Friday before the game (if not before). When I asked Cox and Whitehill after the game they already knew they were going. I do think that the performance that Sauerbrunn gave last night might have guarenteed her a spot for the residency camp that is scheduled to start after the WPS season, which includes a few games over in Europe.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | July 6, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I hope D.C. avenges that dismal effort two weeks ago against Colorado with a win!

Posted by: redskinsux | July 6, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

The low altitude should work in our favor. Right? If not, we should subject the Parids' players to hematocrits and accuse them of epo doping.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 6, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Are the European teams recalling too? Thought I heard Bompastor was going back over sometime this month. Sure hope it was just a rumor.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | July 6, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

bompastor, along w/ other european players in wps, will be called up in early august. unfortunately the europeans will be out during the playoffs and all-star game. that includes bomp, kelly smith, alex scott, eniola aluko, camille abily.

Posted by: KG118 | July 6, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Break a leg, Abby!

Oops, too soon?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | July 6, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Sonia and probably Sawa will be gone at the beginning of August because Japan and France are playing a friendly against each other.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | July 6, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | July 6, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

BTW I did Join The ARGY BARGY fantasy Tour De France Group!
Maybe some others would like to join on Versus.com?
Looks like the first 4 stages won't even count so get in while the gettin's good I guess. We're going to get dropped by the Peloton but it still should be some fun, No?;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 6, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Someone suggesting Ali Krieger should be called up? Please.

Posted by: beachvbman | July 7, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

How did MLS miss this guy?

Everton to sign American Anton Peterlin

American midfielder Anton Peterlin is poised to move from the top level of amateur soccer in the United States to the Premier League.

The 22-year-old Peterlin impressed on a 10-day trial last season at Everton, which is set to sign him to a one-year deal.

"Anton really impressed myself and the coaching staff with his attitude and undoubted ability," Everton manager David Moyes said Monday.

Peterlin would join from the Ventura County Fusion in California, a team in the fourth-tier Premier Development League, for a nominal fee.

"I am not sure how often miracles happen, but I will not squander this opportunity," Peterlin said. "The trial period I was there was great. To play alongside some great names like Phil Neville, Tim Cahill and Tim Howard was an experience.

"Their poise on the ball was terrific and they demand the highest level out of your play every time out."

Peterlin previously played in college at Cal Poly and UC-Santa Cruz.

Posted by: JP-10 | July 7, 2009 1:57 AM | Report abuse

From the BBC:

AC Milan have signed United States defender Oguchi Onyewu from Standard Liege. About 300 fans protested outside the club's Milanello base on the first day of pre-season training on Monday, complaining at the lack of big name signings.

Posted by: addick | July 7, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

GOOCH WITH MILAN!!!!

This is a great move. I assume he will take the place of Maldini in the backline, who is, what, 42? He's a cheap, amazing defender capable of taming just about any target striker. YESSSSSSS!

I wanted this move for years.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 7, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I nearly caused an accident while in a backup when I heard Dave Johnson say Gooch to AC Milan on WTOP.

Posted by: sitruc | July 7, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

wow, that's incredible. congratulations to him.

Posted by: stairs | July 7, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

See you in Atlanta in a few weeks, Gooch.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

ha! How does the entire team wipe out like that on a team trial? Lemmings.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised that more people haven't been complaining about the fact that these friendlies are taking place at all, especially the one on the 19th. For the second time, a Freedom appearance at Estadio RFK has been nobbled. Given that these are merely friendlies, presumably the clubs and the players themselves can decline the invitation, and perhaps they should.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 7, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to Gooch. Hopefully he can earn some playing time and avoid the temptations of hanging out with "Party Boy" Berlusconi!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 7, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

beat me to it Joel...but here it is in english:

Posted by: bigbadbri | July 7, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Someone suggesting Ali Krieger should be called up? Please.

Posted by: beachvbman | July 7, 2009 1:31 AM
_________________________________________

Krieger was an Olympic alternate (i.e., one of the first 22, but not the first 18), but she has been injured a lot in the interim, and is probably not back to that kind of form yet. Maybe some other time.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 7, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Lack of the team time trial for the last few years, mixed with what looks like a rough course is probably the culprit. Very curious to see how solid the last four teams are.

Gooch to Milan eh? Nice. Now I'd buy that jersey!:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 7, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Other transfers:

Charlie Davies may go to Sochaux (Framce)

Movsisyan signed with Randers (Denmark)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Team trial is a bit boring...

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I don't know much about Serie A, but it's a big team in a big league and he's a big guy. So this is a big deal. And, I second the above who says that Gucci (new nickname?) should stay away from Berlusconi's dinner parties.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm taking a group of yutes to the 7/18 Freedom game, bummer. I had mentioned that these players would be there. Well, maybe without Solo, DC will be able to score more goals -- I hear that she can make a lot of saves.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 7, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

It'll get more interesting when the last 4 teams roll out RK. These other scrub teams aren't really contending, and who roots for Cadel Evans anyway?:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 7, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

From my own, er, parochial interest, I'm very sorry Hope Solo won't be at RFK on the 18th. As a Freedom fan, though, I'm hoping we pepper the backup keeper. We'll miss Whitehill on the back line, but sad to say I'm thinking we may be better off without Wambach. Bompastor and deVanna (along with Long, who I'm guessing gets the start up top) could do some damage against a backup keeper.

Posted by: JamesDougan | July 7, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't start drooling too much over the opportunity to challenge St. Louis's backup keeper. The last time Jillian Loyden played, she made six saves, kept a clean sheet, and was named the WPS Player of the Week.

Posted by: kevinwparker | July 7, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

and if McLeod gets called up, that's not so good for us

Posted by: OWNTF | July 7, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

ali krieger is 1 of 3 wnt players allocated to freedom (since each team gets 3). and she's also in the wnt player pool. so yes she is a candidate to be called up even though she hasn't been playing her best.

look at carli lloyd and amy rodriguez, both haven't been playing to their potential (the latter has been improving though) but they still got called up.

Posted by: KG118 | July 7, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

ah crap, if mcleod gets called up, we're in trouble. athletica may not have chalupny but they still got aluko. and yeah jillian lloyden was phenomenal at that one game she played.

Posted by: KG118 | July 7, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Freedom coulda picked Loyden but picked Scurry instead.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 7, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Another Freedon-Sol match report.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Damn, excuse my ignorance about Loyden. Ah well - a guy can hope, right? Really hope McLeod doesn't get called up, but I don't know how that doesn't happen.

And yeah, the scheduling for these friendlies could really be a lot better.

Posted by: JamesDougan | July 7, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Too bad Solo isn't going to be there. We'd have the "Warm Up The Bus" chant going.

Posted by: bs2004 | July 7, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

is that you daddy?

>> too bad ali krieger didn't get called up

Posted by: rghtmid | July 7, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse