Gold Cup Quarterfinals Set

Following Panama's 4-0 victory over Nicaragua and Mexico's 2-0 triumph against Guadeloupe, the Gold Cup knockout stages have taken shape:

SATURDAY
Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia
Canada (A1) vs. Honduras (B2), 5 p.m. ET (Univision)
USA (B1) vs. Panama (C3), 8 p.m. (Fox Soccer Channel, Telefutura)
Winners will meet July 23 in Chicago
SUNDAY
Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, Tex.
Guadeloupe (C2) vs. Costa Rica (A2), 4 p.m. ET (Telefutura)
Mexico (C1) vs. Haiti (B3), 7 p.m. (Univision)
Winners will meet July 23 in Chicago

The championship will be settled July 26 at Giants Stadium.

Based on what you've witnessed through the group stage.....

By Steve Goff  |  July 12, 2009; 9:13 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , Gold Cup , Mexico , Poll , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Aguirre Suspended 3 Matches
Next: Monday Kickaround

Comments

Does anyone know how previous editions of this competition were run? Specifically, has it been the usual practice to build in a weeklong hiatus between the group stage and the quarters? It seems to stretch out the time that players are away from their clubs (e.g., Tino) more than is really necessary.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 12, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

"Does anyone know how previous editions of
this competition were run?"

This is a typical one, if I recall. It does seem strange to take a week off, and I can't explain the rationale.

As far as the champ . . it will be either U.S., Mexico, Canada or Costa Rica. No other CONCACAF team has ever won this tourney, and I don't see it starting this year.

Posted by: delantero | July 12, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Goff, any chances of DC United trying to sign Pavel Nedved?

Posted by: Konoha7 | July 12, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Off Topic: Not sure why there is an ad for University of Maryland football tickets on this page...now if it was a banner ad for soccer season tickets, that would make sense.

Posted by: Pedalada | July 12, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Fudgin' homers...;-)
USA! USA! USA!

Sir Goff! I'm guessing Tino's staying with the group right?

@sitruc: I think that both Chase and UoP stadiums are just being described as having cooling systems large enough to cool "X" homes. I don't think anything but the stadiums are cooled by their systems.
Doesn't change the fact that the Phoenix stadium is till pretty incredible. Dallas can suck the big one. They still play on Grass in Arizona you Cowgirls!!!
This link was pretty fact filled:

Posted by: DadRyan | July 12, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Pavel Nedved? Has someone gotten into the crack?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 12, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan: Pavel Nedved recently said, or skysports has him saying, that he would consider a short stint in the MLS. Naturally every fan in the MLS is probably freaking out and hoping that he lands with their team.

I doubt we get him, or anyone. Toronto may try but I doubt he likes turf.

The link to his skysports thing is in an earlier post, and it is still on skysports on their Seire A section -I am not inclined to go find it right now.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 12, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

If you already knew this and were using sarcasm, I guess the joke is on me then.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 12, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

One of those desert stadia had a Discovery Channel or similar show about the cooling system and how it's used for some of the city as well. There's a building next to the stadium that houses the cooling stuff. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who saw that segment of whatever show I watched a while ago on whatever channel that was.

Posted by: sitruc | July 12, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how much Mexico paid that ref today. I've seen some bad refereeing in my time, but never in such a one-sided fashion.

Posted by: Kenobi | July 12, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Chase stadium sitruc. Don't have the time or patience to... you know, chase it down. But I think I remember reading in something about the D-Backs stadium using a system used to previously cool other stuff around town. You know what would be awesome?

@grubbbl: I went on a nice sized bike ride today and didn't pay much attention to the links, etc. today. I was still being a little bit sarcastic, but I think a great deal of the league has tempered their interest in DP's especially DC United.

I'd really hope they learned A LOT last year and wouldn't even bother getting into such trivialities at this point in the season. I haven't read KP's chat, or as I said been scouring the depths for DCU news, maybe I should?
Nedved is pretty rad, but I don't think DCU is the place for him.
Toronto keeps saying they are committed to putting in their grass though, so that little thing about that isn't that big of a deal. I'm sure a huge DP signing could probably help the push for the grass eh?:-) Surprised the Swede didn't have the gumption or the leverage to get that handled in Seattle, as they've promise grass there as well.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 12, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I saw something the thing UoP stadium on Discovery too. Apparently, when we're not watching soccer, we're watching Burn Notice, Whale Wars, and Big Ass Construction.

If the QFs were midweek, the SFs would be on the weekend and we'd still have to wait a week for the final. A mid-week final wouldn;t draw as many fans.

Has anyone complained that we've have the easiest path so far?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 13, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Off topic:

2 Salvadoran papers are confirming that Firpo will replace Chalatenango as our opponents in the CCL. Wikipedia has a note about how Chalatenango failed to file a "required participation agreement", and thus was disqualified and replaced by Firpo.

Not that any of this is a surprise, but now it's official...or as official as the Salvadoran press and Wikipedia can be.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 13, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Those crewmembers of the Sea Sheperd/Steve Iriwin are borderline insane.

They do make for some good 'ol tv watching though.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | July 13, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Maybe you've been away all weekend Chest?
Does it get anymore official than this:
I was just coming back here before turning in, to bring up the game that Comcast "owes" DCU for the Caps Playoff preemption.... I'm guessing the CCL will get picked up by Telefutura 2 days before the tournament starts, but it might be nice for Comcast to give us the Firpo game? Haven't checked for conflicts yet, but it'd be nice to get a little local coverage of that game. Unless of course they'd be down to show some Open Cup action if we get through the next round?
I would really like to go to the game regardless, but, the scrilla is a little tight these days, and with no special deals... Any special deals to give DCU a chance of rivaling the visitors support wise?
Firpo is going to draw huge aren't they?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 13, 2009 1:30 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan- I'm thinking maybe Aug 9 vs. Real Madrid could be the makeup game for Comcast. Although the last match of the season @KC really needs to get picked up by somebody also.

Posted by: DCUMD | July 13, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Isn't the game vs. Real Madrid already slated for ESPN or something?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 13, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Do we really want Nedved? Look what happened to LA when they got Beckham. Beckham hasent really done much. Its good watching him play, but not if it throws off the morale of the rest of the team. I would rather have top draft picks than picking up Nedved. I would take Nedved as trainer/coach rather than a player. Lets face it, these guys come here to relax and get paid as they retire. Playing in the USA to them is a pick-up game once a week.

Posted by: g3impreza | July 13, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm a big fan of MLS and I can assure you that I am not freaking out about it. I want younger stars, not guys who are retired.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | July 13, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 13, 2009 12:49 AM
------------------------------------------

Not so. You simply start group play three days later, so that it would end at midweek.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 13, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

For some of us it's Mythbusters.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 13, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse