Matchday #18: United-Rapids

Greetings from the banks of the mighty Anacostia.

The Freedom is wrapping up its match with St. Louis -- I understand the marketing reasons for doubleheaders, but there is ZERO atmosphere for WPS at RFK and most United supporters are tailgating. Whatever.

United had an afternoon result go its way today when Toronto settled for a tie at home with Houston. TFC moved a point ahead of Chicago, which hosts San Jose tonight, and just two in front of DCU and Columbus. The Crew hosts Real Salt Lake this evening.

TV: Comcast SportsNet, 8 p.m.

Best news of all: "The Real World D.C." cast is scheduled to be here!

Back soon with DCU's lineup.....

DCU: Wicks; Namoff, Janicki, Burch; Khumalo, Olsen, Simms, Gomez, Fred; Pontius, Emilio. Subs: Kocic, John, McTavish, Jacobson, Wallace, N'Silu, Moreno.

As usual, you've come to the right place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion. I will create a separate USA-Panama thread momentarily.

By Steve Goff  |  July 18, 2009; 6:48 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: WPS Matchday: Athletica at Freedom
Next: Matchnight: Gold Cup

Comments

Ha...just google for the Real World and you'll know everything they are doing. Technology isn't their friend. But that's a Heidi/Spencer-worthy tip, Goff!

Posted by: Reignking | July 18, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Goff, ya scare me with your knowledge of pop tv stars . . . I bet you even read People Magazine and follow TMZ religiously . . .

Re: the game, It's nice to see a full DC bench (minus Szetz . .) and no injuries.

I like Wallace and Moreno off the bench in the second half to both bring some energy and some added skill.

Posted by: delantero | July 18, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Yay, celebrities.

...

...I better stop talking.

Posted by: B_A_ | July 18, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United!

Posted by: B_A_ | July 18, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Is the cast at the game? Cuz, it'd be some pretty sweet Barra/SE/La Norte Publicity to get someone in on that house!

Anyways, how bout lil Cav almost pushing THOR into the barriers?

Oh, Go UNITED! Da le Da le Dale OH!

Posted by: delantero | July 18, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

The cast is making the rounds in lot 8 - wonder where their tickets are

Posted by: emanon13 | July 18, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey, when did MLS Matchcenter get graphics? Or is it cause I'm on the wife's computer which is newer?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 18, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

woulda been a nice goal if it went the other way.

Posted by: Konoha7 | July 18, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

the easy miss by BoyZZZ was killer and Bryan Namoff - you're supposed to be our good defender.

UGGGHHHH as the VW Navigator says: Oh Boyzzz!

Posted by: diego_r | July 18, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

USA Panama 0-0 in 23rd min.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 18, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

moreno needs to come on for boyzzz

Posted by: Konoha7 | July 18, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the rw folks are in the back of 235 all wearing dcu jerseys.

Sit fred and boyzzzz already.

Posted by: M__N | July 18, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

super-sub.

Posted by: stairs | July 18, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Beckerman scores for US as Morino scores.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 18, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

what a header....

Posted by: stairs | July 18, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, Columbus is up 3-0

Posted by: addick | July 18, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

probably the DCU goal of the year

Posted by: diego_r | July 18, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

gomez, fred, emilio!

Posted by: stairs | July 18, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

the turning point of this game, maybe even more so than the insertion of Moreno, was Fred not receiving that second yellow early in the second half

Posted by: diego_r | July 18, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Boy is RSL having a rough night. Not only are they being stomped by Columbus but according to the MLS website, we're beating them too! ; )

Posted by: JoeW1 | July 18, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

USA 1 Panama 1 75th min

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 18, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

USA Going OT. Watch here if you wish.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 18, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Was it just me or did the ref let the game get a little chippy?

Ratings:
Wicks: 5
Namoff: 6
Janicki: 4
Burch: 4.5
Fred: 6
Pontius: 4.5
Fred: 6
Olsen: 6.5
Simms: 5
Emelio: 6
Khumalo: 4.5 (what a bum! How do you blow that golden opportunity)
Wallace: 5
Moreno: 7

Posted by: no_recess | July 18, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

No rating for Gomez??? He was key tonight: 7.5
Moreno didnt really do much besides the PK and PK setup.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 18, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I honestly don't get this double header thing. It's not like most United supporters who come to the game are not likely to go to Freedom game and it's look like a waste of time and money for Freedom. Sometime these organizers have no clue what so ever.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 18, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Moreno, Gomez, Olsen, Emilio all on the field at the same time -- I savor the moment. Although Emilio didn't impress me much apart from his goal. Maybe he needs another raise.

I thought Conor Casey was lame last time I saw him at RFK -- maybe a little better this time but still it's sad if he gets caps.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 18, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

match report, with incongruous basketball reference near the end.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 18, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Solid game by United. Namoff disappoints a big fan who was calling out Bradley for his failure to include him in the Panama game, but recovers even stronger with a great goal.

Moreno, Wallace? Great additions. And McTBone shows some solid play late to shut down an inept Colorado team.

People talk about the altitude of Colorado, I say the July humidity and fans of RFK are 10 times harder.

Posted by: delantero | July 19, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Real World DC?
anyone who gave those pseudo-celebrities the time of day :cough: La Barra Brava :cough:
should be ashamed.

They are the lamest bunch of people to be followed by cameras.
Real World Dupont...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 19, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Re: the Mastroeni penalty. Gomez drew that foul by letting his following leg drift. It hit Mastro at the same time the Mastro's arm touched Gomez and he fell. I don't think the Mastro tug had anything to do with it, but the ref saw something, either way.

Posted by: delantero | July 19, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but Gomez sold that one. It happened right under my seats. I had a clear view and didn't think the ref would make the call as I watched it happen. He didn't have to go down, but it wasn't an outright dive, either. Pablo was defending well. Don't get me wrong, it put us back in the game. Then Namoff gets a taste of sweet redemption. That goal was sweet. So glad we got three points tonight. It would not have been good to lose to the Rapids at home.

Posted by: spata2 | July 19, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Mastro pulled on Gomez. He had no business pulling on Gomez in the box, once Gomez was clearly past him. Gomez went down easy, to be sure -- but Mastro made it an easy call.

I was interested in the call on the third goal. The replays did not seem to show it, but from my seat it appeared that Gomez did not keep the ball in bounds. Wondering if anyone else w=saw it that way...

Jamie coming in was so crucial. In the first half Gomez was very frustrated by Khumalo and Pontius because they were not delivering the ball to him, despite great runs by Gomito. I was desperate for the team to get the ball to people who knew what to do with it. Moreno came in and fixed that within 30 seconds.

It was great to see United go with the full-on Latino lineup. Shows what they can do when they are all in there together. Has not happened much this year. Very happy for Gomez. Big things are in the works for this team....I really did not expect that this year.

Posted by: fischy | July 19, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

It was great to see them click on offense, but there were a couple of worry points. Janicki was starting to remind me of Peralta -- very shaky when the ball was passed back to him. Also, he struggled with Casey. I suspect Janicki is better suited to a four man defense. Not sure what to say about Burch. I am wondering how much a good left back costs.

Posted by: fischy | July 19, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Damn I forgot Gomez and McT. McT=6 Gomez=7

Oh and even though I don't like Soehn I give him an 8. He must really laid into the team at the half and his subs were excellent.

Posted by: no_recess | July 19, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse