Matchday #19: United-Earthquakes

Greetings again from the Bay Area -- another gorgeous, cloudless day on the campus of the Santa Clara University Broncos.

Let me say this: D.C. United needs a new stadium. The San Jose Earthquakes really need a new stadium. Think high school football: mostly metal bleachers, choppy field, brick concessions behind the goals, locker rooms in a separate building. Compared to Buck Shaw Stadium, Kansas City's vertigo-inducing CommunityAmerica Ballpark is Wembley.

There are plans in place, however, for a new facility near the San Jose airport. It can't come soon enough.

Okay, enough whining. It's gametime. A tie on the road is usually sufficient. For United, given the dismal state of the 'Quakes (4-10-3 overall, 1-3-2 in the past six), a victory is essential and move the club into a tie for first with Columbus in the Eastern Conference.

TV: Fox Soccer Channel, 10:30 p.m. ET.

Old-school line of the day: As the team passed through the Santa Clara gymnasium to the locker room, Ben Olsen looked up at the basketball banners and said, "Did you know Kurt Rambis played here?"

DCU's lineup soon.....

DCU: Wicks; Namoff, Jakovic, Burch; Fred, Olsen, Jacobson, Gomez, Wallace; Pontius, Emilio. Subs: Kocic, John, Janicki, McTavish, DiRaimondo, Szetela, Moreno.

As usual, you've come to the ultimate destination for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion.

By Steve Goff  |  July 25, 2009; 8:50 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday Kickaround
Next: United Rewind

Comments

Looking forward to seeing what Soehn does with the lineup. Vamos!

Posted by: dcbird | July 25, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Goff, you haven't been to a Texas high school football game lately, have you? The Lone Star state pointy ball players would be embarrassed at such Mickey Mouse accommodations!

Posted by: PregamePint | July 25, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Goff: In the previous thread I said that I wasn't crazy about the KC ballpark being used to showcase MLS to a national audience. Your remarks make it sound as if a national broadcast from Buck Shaw may be even worse. Then again, I suspect that FSC garners fewer eyeballs on average than BSPN2. Further, the people who do watch FSC are more likely to be dedicated footy fans who wouldn't be soured on the league or the sport by seeing an occasional match played under less than flattering conditions.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 25, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else just see Hercules Gomez chip Ricketts from exactly midfield? Ricketts sent his back right into the pole diving and spinning for it, and took a big shot. And man, what a shot from Gomez.

After a few minutes on the turf, Saunders has to come in for LA in the 29th.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

From the DCU site, apologies for crude formatting:

Wicks

Namoff-Jakovic-Burch

Fred-Olsen-Jacobsen-Wallace

Gomez

Pontius-Emilio

Posted by: Section117 | July 25, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see Lopez' goal against Hartman? It was from midfield just under the bar and over a diving Ricketts. Nice.

Posted by: delantero | July 25, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

No N'Silu? Interesting...

Posted by: jason1551 | July 25, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Has Alexi Lalas replaced Harkes or is this just temporary?

Posted by: spikeman | July 25, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, Claudio Lopez (KC) against Ricketts (LAG), from midfield.

Jacob and I are just trying to confuse you.

Posted by: delantero | July 25, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I like DC's lineup. Jaime's a super sub. Would prefer Szetz at DMid, but can understand his lack of fitness being an issue.

Posted by: delantero | July 25, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

"Kurt Rambis played here"

HA HA! The man's got his own website. Nice pose, but click on the left link saying "ANTI-McHALE."

Posted by: delantero | July 25, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

off-topic: very nice saves from Indios GK Cesar Lozano in the FMF game that just ended on FSE.

Posted by: Pedalada | July 25, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Ben is the man

Re: Lalas/Harkes - the commentary teams are shuffled due to all the pre-season friendlies covered by ESPN.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 25, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Has Alexi Lalas replaced Harkes or is this just temporary?

Posted by: spikeman | July 25, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I think they're holding him for tomorrow's matches (AC-Inter, Chelsea-CA).

Along those same lines, has Lalas seemed more sedated than usual, or is it me?

Posted by: Section117 | July 25, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

If everything goes right, Moreno, Szetela, and McTavish will come in to close out the game in the second half.

If everything goes wrong, Moreno and ??? will come in in the second half.

Have I not been paying attention - what happened to N'Silu? Why do we have 5 defenders / defensive midfielders on the bench? If N'Silu is injured - or out - then please disregard my comment because everyone else is out.

Posted by: diego_r | July 25, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Lalas is headed to Dallas for the Chelsea-CA game after this match

Posted by: emanon13 | July 25, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

re: Lalas

I blame myself (and the curse of Dave O'Brien). I argued for years about Lalas being fired from the LA Galaxy and wherever else he has been employed. I also argued for Dave O'Brien being fired. So now we end up with Lalas on ESPN. Just awful.

This is America and almost everyone seems to get a second chance at some point (even Michael Vick could), maybe it's time we bring back Eric Wynalda - even if it just to kick Alexi Lalas somewhere uncomfortable

Posted by: diego_r | July 25, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Lalas isn't himself because he knows full well that the Galaxy team he's watching is so much better with him out if the picture. He's just eating a little humble pie.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 25, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

hmmm...emilio not giving gomez props after he scores? not cool...

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 25, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

did anyone see emilio arguing with gomez about the PK?

since when has emilio taken PKS?

Posted by: Norteno4life | July 25, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Dodgy call on the PK. Emilio got up to chase theh loose ball and wasn't asking for the PK.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 25, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow..I agree that pk for us is very controversial. And it's not pretty Gomez and Emilio fighting over who takes pk.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 25, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Sadly that stadium is not even full.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 25, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

beckham just had words with another Fan

Posted by: Norteno4life | July 25, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Ah...Wallace never learn to shoot low. Always sky rocketed.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 25, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Plastic fan? Simon Fuller at work?

Posted by: B_A_ | July 25, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Come on Norteno, that wasn't nearly as bad as you made it sound.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

what i just said words? lol

Posted by: Norteno4life | July 25, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

yes gomito...

Posted by: Norteno4life | July 25, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Why are these idiot commentators and video people not looking at the wider shot? There is no way to tell if a man was on or offside if you don't show video of BOTH the ball being struck and the player in question.

Gah!!

Posted by: mason08 | July 25, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

why do they call it a Brace?

Posted by: Sec131 | July 25, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

why do they call it a Brace?

Posted by: Sec131 | July 25, 2009 11:02 PM

Excellent question.

Chest!?!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

two easy ones for Gomez. He looked just onside when the initial shot was hit. Very close though.
Brace, like braces in punctuation [], a pair, bookends so to speak. does that make sense?

Posted by: jjfooty | July 25, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

the red donkeys are losing 4-0 with 20 minutes left.

Posted by: Norteno4life | July 25, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

It makes sense, but unless you score early and late, it doesn't seem like a fitting term.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

i dont know if its the soccer origins of it, but in cricket two wickets in two consecutive deliveries is occasionally known as a brace according to wiki.

good question, and i was thinking the same thing. anyone with more of an answer would be great.

Posted by: aubartolomei | July 25, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Bretos can't even say USA-Mexico, instead elected to go with "Eh-eh-Eww-Eww Mehico"

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

This is the most recent San Jose stadium news I could find (May 5): http://www.mercurynews.com/sportsheadlines/ci_12302152?nclick_check=1
Anyone have anything better/more current?

Posted by: Pedalada | July 25, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Fred needs to pick up his play. He is drifting in from the wing a little too much and giving the ball away too easily.

That was a heckuva goal.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 25, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

When I first started following soccer a few years ago, especially EPL, I had a fun time figuring out the terminology, etc. Like "tie" I could never understand it how the headlines could mention a tie b/t such and such teams when the game had not even started.

Crap. I know what goal means....Come on United. Let's keep the lead.

Posted by: Sec131 | July 25, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

anyone else think espn is doing a disservice to MLS by showing a match 1 night with attendance of 71k with Chelsea vs AC Milan then the very next night showing a match at CommunityAmerica Ballpark Wizards vs Galaxy? just showing what a "mickey mouse league" it really is?

Posted by: DER27 | July 25, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

on the one hand, yes, the kc stadium wasnt impressive, but it was a sellout (granted, thats like 10,000) the atmosphere was good, it kinda reminded me of a college stadium, and i kinda liked it. and it got me excited for marylands season. and i really enjoyed the fans chanting "we have more" when they tried to clean up the streamers.

Posted by: aubartolomei | July 25, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

They call it a brace because they are Anglosnobs.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 25, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

DER27, not really. They're showing the team with the league's two biggest stars, it just happens to be there according to the schedule. Not only that, but it was the second game of the day they'd shown, with the first being a matchup of two high ranking teams in front of 32,000.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

also - in between those two matches ESPN showed the Chicago-Seattle match

Posted by: emanon13 | July 25, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

@ DER27. I will take the Pollyanna view: At least they are showing soccer. @ aubartolomel: missed that part "we have more" classic. LOL

Posted by: Sec131 | July 25, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't think ESPN is doing a disservice by broadcasting soccer.

Fred not impressive at all tonight.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 25, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I think it is Moreno time. Probably Moreno for Fred and put Pontius in the midfield.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 25, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Moreno for Fred, sliding into the middle and pushing Pontius wide?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 25, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

I-270, I was wondering where you and you wit were.

Oh and aubartolomei thanks for the cricket reference. That is one game I will never get. When Sky or BBC are reporting on results they may as well be speaking in Greek.

Posted by: Sec131 | July 25, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

fedssocr: I like how you think :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 25, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

bring in danny szcetela

Posted by: Norteno4life | July 25, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

i was just wondering what the thought was, to me its showing "look at how these 2 premier world class sides draw in a preseason friendly" vs "this team is so pathetic it plays in a minor league baseball stadium".

Posted by: DER27 | July 25, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PregamePint | July 25, 2009 9:08 P

Hey, don't hate on us down here!! We've got our fair share of 10k'ers down here, most of which have atmospheres much more imposing than that of the one we're watching.

Take Lowndes County, or use the facilities tab up top on this page:

Or the school I spent my first two years at, Grayson High School: http://www.graysonramsfootball.com/index.php?page=stadium

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Brace is an old hunting term: you might come home from hunt with a 'brace of pheasant' which is of course, two pheasant (s?). Oddly, it only applies to birds. This is perhaps somehow derived from a 'bracer' which was an early firearm. But it also might come from the braces that archers wore on each arm (a full set is also a 'brace' and that's two, so perhaps two ducks is one for each arm?)

Hey, you asked.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 25, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the HS Stadium tanget, just wanted my state to get the rep it deserves.

I think a straight Szetela for Fred swap would suit me fine.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

We need to make some kind of change on the right. Either shift Pontius back and bring in Moreno up front, or a straight swap of McTavish for Fred. Every chance that San Jose has had all night has come on a cross from their left side.

Posted by: DCUMD | July 25, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Word on the Moreno-for-Fred-Pontius_shift talk. But we need Danny in for theinvisible man otherwise mentioned in the starting line up as Jacobson. You know Emilio needs to show me something soon too.

Posted by: Kosh2 | July 25, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

@joshuaostevens
Thank you. I have totally not been using the proper terminology in my pheasant hunting. Next time I bag two birds, i will know what to call it.

Posted by: Sec131 | July 25, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

I hope Johnson is OK and while I never wish for an injury to an athlete, we got lucky there because he had just started to make Burch his "companion" in the first half.

Posted by: Kosh2 | July 25, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Sec131: bagging two birds is a whole different thing entirely! Happy hunting.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 25, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'm the only one miffed that Szetela didn't get a chance to start.

Also scared that Moreno is the only forward we have on the bench.

I'm glad San Jose can score, but I'm mad we had to let them do it.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 25, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Joshuaostevens as soon as I hit the submit button, I was like, not what I meant...LOL

Posted by: Sec131 | July 25, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Well, that's one way to earn a souvenir.

If I hear Christopher Sullivan say "Gattuso-type player" or "Gattuso-mold", I'm gonna personally fly to LA and start showing him videos and pictures of other defensive mids who do their jobs very well, just to pound variety into his head.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

That's it, I'm tired of these morons yammering on about how the second goal was offside. Do you even know the rules?

The offside is determined when the ball is kicked, not when it is deflected.

READ THE BOOK!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 25, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

TXTNG FRM SN JOSE! GOT A BALL!!! STILL RUNNG, SECRTY COMNG! HOPE 2 GET IT HOME ON PLNE!

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 25, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

apparently, moreno is "enjoying" to watch.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 25, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

I think most DC united fans were wanting Fred off....

Posted by: Sec131 | July 25, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Do you think Max was just waiting to use South American Sizzle....

Posted by: Sec131 | July 25, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Joedoc, I cannot use the adjective to describe just how genius that was.

I'm going to giggle every time I see it or think of it for 4 days.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

did he really just do that?!?!

Posted by: VTUnited | July 25, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

rodney rodney rodney. what were you thinking?

Posted by: aubartolomei | July 25, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

How is that only a yellow?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

OH CRP! DONT TAZE ME BRO!

AHHHHHHH!

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 25, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Szetela for Fred? N'Silu for Fred? Boyzzz for Fred? Joe Doc for Fred?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 25, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

I knew when Max said in the 27th minute that United were well on their way to a road victory, he jinxed us...

Yes I am blaming everything on the announcers.....

Posted by: Sec131 | July 25, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Can you even call that a rookie mistake? Did he here a whistle? Was there some sort of body snatchers thing where Josh Wicks' brain was controlling his body?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

can we sub the commentators?

Posted by: Pedalada | July 26, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

@joedoc: lol, but would have been better as a tweet! (only cause I'm working and following along on the twitter machine, needs a #dcu tag too!)

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 26, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

I was laughing so hard at Joe Doc's txt that I forgot to get angry about the goal.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 26, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

im done with Fred. id be done with him if he was paid 1/3 of what he actually is paid.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 26, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

this team gave up a lead?? really? i would have NEVER guessed that!

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 26, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

To be fair, that celebration was something fun, with all the clear passion, from both the fans and the players, but, still.

And Fred...

Wellllll, I don't have words for Fred. I'd like to have some with him, but I don't have any for him. This is just depressing.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

How is that only a yellow?

===

It wasn't an obvious goal-scoring opportunity. It was only deliberate handling to prevent an opponent from gaining possession.

Posted by: mason08 | July 26, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Good point. I should have known that, but, out of my disbelief of it happening, I clearly wasn't thinking straight.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

oh, anthony peters

Posted by: VTUnited | July 26, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

That ruling is kinda funny. The phrasing in the discussion is "deliberate and blatant". Basically, it's a card for being stupid.

Posted by: mason08 | July 26, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 25, 2009 10:44 PM
-----------------------------------------------

Dodgy call, yes. Emilio was refusing to give Gomez the ba;. He wanted the kick. Too bad he did not get the goal later, when he was wrongly called offside. For those first 20 minutes DCU looked better than they have all year. Of course, they cannot sustain it.

If it is possible, Fred gets worse every week. He makes mental mistakes, and his touch has deserted him. I am really not sure what he brings to the team right now. Certainly, he is terrible on the wing. We need Tino back.

Posted by: fischy | July 26, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

DCU being made to luck foolish by a guy named QUINCY. yikes.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 26, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Wallace should be fined.

I don't care if we win this game, this is still the second most pathetic performance of the year.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 26, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

To me, this just looks like a situation where one team is clearly better than the other, but the inferior team is just playing outside and above themselves, and it causes panic in the better team, and throws the result into "flip a coin" mode. Worrisome.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Have these guys met before, because they don't look like it?

Posted by: mason08 | July 26, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

...let's face it, this team is mentally weak. columbus and chicago are just better.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 26, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Another fine effort by Fred....

Posted by: fischy | July 26, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

DON"T TAKE OFF THE STRIKER!!! FRED HAS SUCKED!!!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 26, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Look -- Demon and I agree on something...

Fred blows.

Posted by: fischy | July 26, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

"Fred has been a liablility defensively late in this match"

And an offensive liability in the rest of it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

HND CUFFS HURT. STILL TWTCHNG. SCRTY CANT FIND BALL, STUFFD IT IN DMPSTR.

NEED BOND GUY ASAP!! PLZ HELP!

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 26, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

...boo....boooooooooooo.....weak.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 26, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

I stayed up late for this? Wonder if the latest Burn Notice is on demand.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 26, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

I do appreciate FSC's pre and post game shows.

Posted by: Pedalada | July 26, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Those linesmen sucked tonight. They called us offsides so many times when we were actually onsides.

This game feels like a loss. We should have made it 3-0 and really put the game away. But the way we played the second half, I'll take the point I guess.

Other than the handball, I thought Wallace was fabulous today.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 26, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

The massive gaping hole infront of a snail-paced three-man back line, a throw back from yester-year. Ah the memories.

Good luck rating this hot mess, Goff. This wishy-washy team showed us their really ugly side tonight. If I don't see a negative rating then you did not watch this game, Goff.

Fred played like an expensive joke. Using the word pathetic to describe his touch is merciful.

Emilio is a desperate DP. Fighting with thedesignated PK taker so that you can chalk one up. Sad.

The whole team sucked. Now that they have rubbed that one out, here's hoping they remember who they are on Tuesday.

Good freakin' night!

Posted by: Kosh2 | July 26, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Wow! The ref was watching a completely different game than the one he was officiating in the second half. Wallace sucked! Jamie sucked! Emelio sucked! Fred does not deserve to play soccer ever again. I don't care if Jesus loves him! Soehn is an idiot and does not know how to use his subs.
My ratings:
Wicks: 5
Namoff: 4
Jakovic: 4
Burch: 3
Olsen: 5
Jacobson: 4 (was he even on the field)
Wallace: 1
Fred: 2
Gomez: 5
Pontius: 4
Emelio:3
Soehn: 1
McT: NR
Szetela: 3
Moreno: 3

Thanks DCU you played thirty minutes of soccer tonight and packed it in. Good job! Lets hope you were saving something for Firpo. Olsen is the only player on this team with heart. To think I was actually starting to like Soehn. He was out coached tonight.

Posted by: no_recess | July 26, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Fire Ton Soehn.

Bring in a coach who knows how to win, not knows how to tie.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | July 26, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

That was one of the most frustrating games i've seen this season.

Posted by: spikeman | July 26, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

we should have won

Posted by: diego_r | July 26, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Ok back to my homework/project. FYI. Named my fake middle school: Benjamin Olsen Middle School. Moreno and Burch teach social studies, and Namoff is the school librarian. Why am I telling you all this...trying to justify being way behind on the class work cos I had to watch this match as research....

Hope JoeDoc gets bailed out.

Posted by: Sec131 | July 26, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Someone suggested pooling funds for a stadium. Should those be diverted towards Joedoc's bail fund?

I mean, I reeeeeeally want a stadium.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Good GAWD did Fred suck tonight. Now I know why the rest of the team kept the ball away from the left side so much. It's almost as if they didn't trust him, either.

Posted by: Juan-John | July 26, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

we should have won

Posted by: diego_r | July 26, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Actually, we should have lost.

And the tiresome "Fire Soehn" cries are awakened from their slumber...

Posted by: GoUnited | July 26, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Joe-Doc is being supposedly being arrested for trying to get away with a ball....This world just gets weirder...Still, he had a better night than DCU.

Posted by: fischy | July 26, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully no one got hurt and we can play a pretty strong lineup in less than 72 hours against Firpo at RFK. I don't like our chances in El Salvador if we don't have a couple goal lead to take down to Cuscatlan.

At least we finally got to see Anthony Peters get some gametime.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 26, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Aaargh! Not another tie!

Posted by: ricky_b | July 26, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

With Quaranta coming back, Fred shouldn't see the field.

Also, didn't see any reason to hate on Szetela. His passing was solid when he came in, can't ask much more from him. I think we should have seen him from the starting whistle, Jacobson has nothing to keep him on the bench.

As for Luci, we all know that if you give him service, he will score. We had NONE today after the opening 20.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 26, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Goff, I've never seen you give a 2. Maybe this is the time.

Posted by: redskinsux | July 26, 2009 1:28 AM | Report abuse

I'd also like to add the following points:

Gomez and Emilio fighting for the PK in the first half.
Olsen wailing at the ref (for a good call) to then receive a yellow.
Burch forcing the balls to make unnecessary turnovers.
Wallace playing like a 15 year old to have SJ equalize.

On the top of that, everyone else played very average. Nothing outstanding.

Posted by: redskinsux | July 26, 2009 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Thank Gawd we get Tino back next week.

And on a slightly-related note, ESPN2 is doing a pre-game show at 2pm before the Gold Cup?!? When was the last time they did that for a soccer game that WASN'T being shown on their network?

Posted by: Juan-John | July 26, 2009 2:44 AM | Report abuse