Matchday: Honduras-USA (UPDATED)

Greetings from Estadio RFK, where I've settled into an empty press box that soon will be packed, with not one spot without a name tag. They obviously are all here to see the star-studded US roster that downed the world's top-ranked team...wait, you mean very few of those players are here today?

Okay, so this might not be the same U.S. team that garnered so much attention last month in South Africa, but this team brings plenty of stories to be excited about and players that deserve attention. Not the least of which is that of D.C. United's Santino Quaranta, who has taken yet another inspiring step in his recovery from addiction. Several other players with local ties also are expected to see time.

I don't know if Quaranta will be in the starting lineup or how much he will be considered as a substitute if he is not. But I have heard that former D.C. United players Troy Perkins and Freddy Adu are going to be in the first XI. I'll confirm that and get you the official lineup as soon as I hear it.

I also heard whispers that AC Milan's newest signing, Oguchi Onyewu, will be in the house tonight. We'll see if the rumor is true. If he is, obviously I'll try to snag him for comment...as I'm sure every name tag in this joint will. UPDATE: I'm told in fact that Onyewu is NOT in attendance tonight...

U.S. Starting Lineup: Perkins; Cherundolo, Marshall, Parkhurst, Pearce; Quaranta, Pause, Beckerman, Rogers; Adu, Ching
SUBS: Robles, Heaps, Feilhaber, Holden, Evans, Davies, Cooper

Honduras Lineup: Escober; Chavez, Norales, Acevedo, Medina, Palacios; Espinoza, Valladares; Costly, Martinez, Chaves.
SUBS: Canales, Molina, Palacios, Ramos, Padilla, Lalin, Welcome

Haiti-Grenada will play first at 7 PM, with the Honduras-US match to follow. Match officials are expecting between 20-25,000 in attendance tonight.

Honduras-US
Kickoff: 9 PM
TV: Fox Soccer Channel, Telefutura

As usual, this is your place for pregame, in-game and postgame banter.

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 8, 2009; 5:59 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , Gold Cup , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Morning Kickaround
Next: U.S. Soccer Rewind

Comments

This is how they do it on the Nationals Journal when a commenter gets "new posted" -- just repost your comment. Normally, I wouldn't indulge such silly narcissism, but I've got real news here:

"Hey Hey Hey -- Another title for the DC United trophy case!!

The DC United Academy U-17 beat the FC Dallas team to win the SUM U-17 title.

The win earns the DCU junior squad a trip trip to Spain to participate in the 2010 Trofeo Quixote, the world U-17 youth soccer championships.

Now, it's on to Carson, CA for the U.S. Soccer Development Academy (July 10-17)...."

Posted by: fischy | July 8, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Now -- while I'm feeling miserable because I can't go go to Estadio RFK and suffering through a double-whammy of diverticulitis and a very painful flare-up in my knee -- here's what I'm hoping for tonight...a tour de force from Freddy Adu, like the one he turned in in 2007 against Poland at the U-20 championships:

If you've got 8:00 to watch this highlight clip, it's very impressive:

Posted by: fischy | July 8, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

fischy: You might want to check the first item on the previous thread. I empathize, though, having been the second to post the Birchall to LA "news."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Dude! Duuuude! I know this is a mostly anonymous blog, but TMI - MTMI (much too much information).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

@I-270 -- I apologize for the TMI. On the other point -- read that item a bit more carefully. Tenorio was reporting yesterday's result, which put the DCU Academy team in today's final against the FCD juniors. Outside of the FC Dallas blog, I think I'm the first to post the news about today's DCU win.

Posted by: fischy | July 8, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Hmm. only 25000 max? that is awful, RFK used to fill up for team usa. Perhaps wed. is the problem. Middle of the week games for dcu also draw less crowds. Hopefully the hodurans didnt make the trip from south east, which is actually right up the street ha.

Posted by: g3impreza | July 8, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I stand corrected. I read "Cartegena" in both items and assumed it was the same report. If this kid can score in back to back games, we need to sign him to a contract and cap him!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

is haiti-grenada on TV?

Posted by: jezz | July 8, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

@ jezz

Galavision

Posted by: carnack | July 8, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

It's also just two B-squads in a year where the game/tournament just don't matter much.

"Banter"? Well done, Mr. Tenorio.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff,

How come when mentioning players with local ties in your article for today's game you didn't mention Troy Perkins? Seems a bit strange since he was our starting keeper for almost 3 seasons ... won Keep of the Year AND some silverware?

Confused in Rockville

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | July 8, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

You are confused, Mr. Goff didn't write the piece.

And I bet it's because he did not spend any of his youth in the area.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Somewhere, Skip Caray is looking at this Haiti-Grenada game (1-0 Haiti in the 15th), and saying "Plenty of good seat still available"

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Tenorio (or anyone else inside Estadio RFK): How many people have come out to see Haiti-Grenada?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 8, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Based on what I see on tv, upwards of 509

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

@I-270 -- the FC Dallas report calls him Luis Cartagera, not Cartagena. I wonder which is accurate, since we might be hearing more from this kid....

Haiti-Grenada on Galavision -- Verizon 274 -- yes, indeedy...you can count the folks in the stands.

Earlier, I heard some of the funniest shi'ite ever on radio. I was listening to the 1050 WFED feed of the Nationals' game -- I had tuned there for last night's DC United match, and fortuitously turned it on just in time to hear the Nats game. After the game, there was a post-game show, I guess..I had kinda tuned it out by then. Then there was a bunch of dead air, followed by several very entertaining minutes because someone didn't know the mike was "open".

The guy who does the pre-game/post-game stuff -- Ed Cole -- was trying to record a recap of the game, and he was cursing up a storm. Trying to say "Torrealba" and "Tulowitzki" -- He kept screwing up and stopping and re-starting. Multiple uses of "sh!t" and a few f-bombs, too. I sure hope the FCC wasn't tuned in....

If you haven't seen the movie "Winnebago Man" -- it's as if Cole was trying to re-create the infamous clip of the meltdown of this Winnebago commercial actor.

Posted by: fischy | July 8, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Our favorite Panamanian referee, Roberto Moreno, is handling the Haiti-Grenada match. Does that mean he won't be poorly officiating the US-Honduras match, or he is doing the doubleheader?

Posted by: fischy | July 8, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I actually like that guy. He did the T&T game in Nashville, and I liked him then, and I've watched that game almost a dozen times.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

@Jacob -- That was the only time I didn't get the uneasy feeling that Moreno wasn't deliberately trying to screw over the American side. He's done a number on DC United more than once.

Posted by: fischy | July 8, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough. Here's another eight minutes to waste/of what I'd kill to see:

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

curious if any political demonstrations are going on outside the stadium..? anyway, should be a good match. Interested to see Adu...and for Honduras Marvin Chavez

Posted by: nico78 | July 8, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Too many double negatives in there.

the only time I didn't get the uneasy feeling that Moreno WAS deliberately trying to screw over the American side. He's done a number on DC United more than once.

Posted by: fischy | July 8, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Wow, it is a gorgeous night for soccer. The Spice Boyz are down a goal at the half, but I sense the Nutmeggers are going to score three in the second half!!!

Seriously, this might be the nicest evening I have ever seen at RFK.

Posted by: kevinx | July 8, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Adu has 102 family/friends coming in. That's a lot.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Haiti, sponsored by Bad Idea Jeans.

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Santino gets the nod!

#USMNT lineup for tonight: Perkins; Cherunudolo (c), Marshall, Parkhurst, Pearce; Quaranta, Pause, Beckerman, Rogers; Adu, Ching

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Tino gets the nod!

Posted by: jpeace121 | July 8, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Santinoooooooooo!!!

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 8, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

So, does every time Quaranta's name gets brought up in a story, do they have to mention his battle with addiction. Gets a little trite.

That being said, I hope he kicks ass!

Posted by: EssEff | July 8, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

haha Ives...couldn't have been more wrong about Feilhaber and Adu

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Copa Libertadores final on FSE. Some shows going on there.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 8, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

@EssEff: It's the personal struggle side that is supposed to make the article more interesting. Maybe it is for those who don't haven't read about it.

[rant on] It's also our media's need to fill space, primarily with recycled material. E.g. my wife watches whatever missing child/dead caucasian woman story Nancy Grace is talking about and there is never any new information. Just recaps and recaps of recaps with the same two-minute video loop. [rant off]

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow amazing show. who wants to watch Haiti-Grenada when libertadores final game is being played?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 8, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

It'd be nice to see Torres and Orozco get some minutes in this Cup.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 8, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I want that to be displayed at rfk

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 8, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

i thought the flag waiving is only in germany, italy and england but no estudiante fans are more than that and now i can't even see the field with smoke

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 8, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I love the flag waiving!!!!!

Back in high school me a some buddies made like 5 out of cheap fabric from walmart and even cheaper paint, and some PVC pipe for poles, for a volleyball tournament, and they've spent the last 3 years getting past down from class to class.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Ching with Adu is wrong. Davies is working pretty good but hey

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 8, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I really need to make it to one big United match and a big USA match before RFK gets imbloded. My heart pumps faster every time I see those bleachers bouncing.

STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

imploded*

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Dolo is a great guy and all, but he is not match fit and I hate wasting a sub on a right back.

102 folks might be there that Adu personally knows, but I'd like to think the whole RFK audience would be "friends of Freddy" the way everyone used to be a friend of Bill. Knock 'em dead, Freddy.

Have a good time at RFK, folks. Out-shout the blue and white clad fans.

Posted by: troy6 | July 8, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

relieved Suazo isn't in the Honduran line-up. that guy is scary good.

Posted by: troy6 | July 8, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if I missed this or not, but why in the world are there football lines on the RFK turf?

Posted by: rss317 | July 8, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Nice cross by Tino. He needs more touches.

BTW, why are there yard markers on the field? Where the Redskins holding workouts at RFK?

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 8, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

It looks like they cut it a little too short to try to protect it from getting too ripped up with a double header and all the practices.

That was a good build up and a nice diving effort from Tino.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Were*

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 8, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Argh...tough angle for Q...

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Tino with the first real chance of the game. Nice work in the box.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 8, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Pretty disjointed start. Not sure who's supposed to be running the show there in the middle. Feilhaber would be a good sub along with Davies perhaps.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 8, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Ching's not going to do much for us receiving the ball on the wrong side of the center circle before taking a slow-motion tumble to the ground.

Honduras is looking dangerous over the top...

Posted by: MK27 | July 8, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

MONSTER effort by Beckerman! Ching just a bit off...

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Ug, an indecisive Adu.

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Freddy is trying to hard for his 102 friends/family.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 8, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh fantastic by Q!

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

US team looking sllllllooooowwwwww. beckerman looking good however.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 8, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Beckerman stepping up nicely now.

I know this isn't news, but how annoying is Max Bretos? Ay caramba.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 8, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

hahahahhahaha

Breakaway Honduras, hits its wide...

Rogers in again, forces a corner.

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Poor finish on the Honduran part but once again we're flopping and counting on a call. We need to play with confidence but we cant keep playing to expect everything to fall where we want it.

Posted by: MK27 | July 8, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

how was that not offsides? rogers owning the left.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 8, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, we aren't very sure-footed right now.

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Wake up Freddy!!

Posted by: MK27 | July 8, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

mmmmm Adu weak header right to the keeper...might've been surprised that Ching didn't reach it

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Pearce has been running his butt off tonight...

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

crap Q got decked in the head

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm very quickly developing a bit of a non-gay man-crush on Robbie Rogers. Seriously, he's gonna end up in a top 5 Euro league next summer at this rate.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Great cross from Santino. I yelled out of worry when Santino was down...

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 8, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Rogers isn't stupid -- he is auditioning for quite a few coaches right now.

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

No rhythm or space this half and the defense has looked shaky at times. Definitely need a change of plan and/or personnel.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 8, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

My halftime reinforcements: Irish whiskey and an ice cream sandwich.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 8, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

That was not a very entertaining half of soccer to watch. I'm going to bed.

Posted by: glfrazier | July 8, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Glad I didn't get the guys together for this one... hopefully we'll have a few grown-up chances in the second half.

Posted by: MK27 | July 8, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

if you guys bored there is a much entertaining game on fox sport espenooouullll. copa libertadores final. i find it more enjoying

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 8, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

but they are nil nil too.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 8, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Quaranta has looked sharp except for two miscues. One of the best players on the field at halftime.

Posted by: redskinsux | July 8, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

really?? while the quality has been subpar, i thought the game was entertaining. kinda like one of my sons youth games.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 8, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Bretos feels that Adu is having a "nice game"...

Posted by: MK27 | July 8, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong the team looks pretty bad. But Quaranta has showed thus far he should be coming off the bench for the 1st U.S. team.

Posted by: redskinsux | July 8, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I think the ref has been having a good game.

Ching - finish please!

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 8, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I feel like the U.S. is playing a 'JV' team and Quaranta deserves to be playing with the Varsity squad.

Posted by: redskinsux | July 8, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

the ref's been good. santino's been good. bretos? not so much.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 8, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Where is freddy? He has disappeared this half. Feilhaber for Pause would be good right now.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 8, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Adu has no energy or confidence today - he should have eaten that up!

Posted by: MK27 | July 8, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Feilhaber and Davies both set to come in.

Send in the Ringers!!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, BB. Davies for Adu also a good call. Let's see if it works. I predict it will.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 8, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Davies is playing hungry - he and Feilhaber are only going to make our team better tonight.

Posted by: MK27 | July 8, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Feilhaber and Davies for Adu and Pause. Those are actually excellent subs I think. Neither of them had it today. Holden for Beckerman next, maybe?

Posted by: Hobes | July 8, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey, the DC left back issue...

Heath Pearce?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Cooper for Ching as the third sub?

Posted by: MK27 | July 8, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Starting Ching is not a good idea. Throwing him in to hold up the ball and waste time? Sure, although he's too noble to do it that well.

Basically, I still am not sure this dude could score internationally in a shooting drill.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 8, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

That's the commitment Adu needs to show if he wants to play for his club and country. He's capable but needs to show the fire.

Posted by: MK27 | July 8, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

TINO GOAL!

Posted by: MK27 | July 8, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

VARSITY!!!!!

Posted by: redskinsux | July 8, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that feilhaber seems to be out wide with rogers moved more centrally.

@MK27 - maybe though I'm not sure that changes much.

But who cares - Tinoooooooooooooo!

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 8, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

TTTTIIIIIINNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL!!!!

Posted by: Hobes | July 8, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Some great passing around...

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

That's our Tino. Great lay-off by Feilhaber.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

And that's what Ching does...but wow, Feilhaber...he's auditioning for PT, too.

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

SANNNNNNTIIIIIIINOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! GOLGOLGOLGOLGOLLLLLLLLLLL

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 8, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

It worked once - why not do the exact same thing again?

Posted by: MK27 | July 8, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful buildup, great finish. The fact that it was a Tino goal just makes it that much better.

Posted by: Mongoose714 | July 8, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan better be there if he's not here celebrating with us!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

great pass by davies. more and more impressed with him. it's not just speed, but he's got great vision as well.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 8, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Feilhaber to Tino reminds me of Balboa to Ramos against Costa Rica (?) in Portland.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

CHHHHIIIINNNNNNGGGGGG! yeeeessss!

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 8, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

I want to turn over to Telefutura so I can hear the guy say brian *CHING!

Posted by: MK27 | July 8, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Goal Ching on the header!

Posted by: Mongoose714 | July 8, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Dolo to Ching reminds me of Spector to Dempsey against Egypt in South Africa.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

i win!

Posted by: MK27 | July 8, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow, 2-0. but is it just me or did that come off ching's arm or the defender? Definitely not a clean hit by ching.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 8, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I stayed up til 3 last night after having a movie night at a friends house, and was up for work at 4. I got about 2 hours worth of sleep throughout the day. I have to be back at work at 5 in the morning. I will stay up through the night if that's how long I have to wait to read Tino's interviews.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

i was so happy with spector in the confed cup, but an "in-form" dolo reminds me who our true right back is! love that guy.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 8, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

I think Ching bounced that off of his defender...

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Damn, did it have to be Ching? The man scores once in a blue moon, and he's our target forward, starting against Switzerland.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 8, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Call in Guzan for Haiti and play him as a central defender.

Posted by: MK27 | July 8, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Got to give Ching credit for that assist, though.

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Parkhurts gets a card for cheating... I guess they taught him how to foul in the Eurolands.

Posted by: MK27 | July 8, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Argh, Cooper has to find a way to get that shot off cleanly.

Posted by: Hobes | July 8, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

i don't know what kind of a future he realistically has with the national team, but here's a toast to quaranta for his first international goal. way to go santino!

Posted by: 2_birds_1_stone | July 8, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so, I work at a place where one of the things we do is t-shirt printing, and we do it by what essentially is a computer printer, not a screenprinter. It gives me the ability to print anything I can basically copy/paste on the computer. I say this because I really want a Quaranta DC jersey, but can't afford the jersey. Would it be bad of me to buy the t-shirt jersey, and then use the technology at my disposal to print the authentic style lettering and numbering on the back?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Dos a cero.

When will I do the smart thing and bet on that?

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

things go so much better when we play with two forwards.

beckerman is um not very good.
glad to see feilhaber continuing to play well.
would like to see freddy out there with two forwards.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | July 8, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

JfromATL: You've paid for the t-shirt, you may do with it what you please.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I-270: Great Point. I'm doing it. So happy for the team, and especially Tino. The USSoccer twitter said the team walked over in front of the supporter's sections, and jumped as they did, and the bleachers bounced.

Man, I gotta get there!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Quaranta has a very realistic opportunity with the national team. He can cross from 30 + yards out, he's a good finisher, good technique, he's always been a talented offensive threat.

It's also helpful that he can play both as a winger and a forward, and has playmaking capabilities. Realistically, though, I'm afraid that Holden, Rogers, and Quaranta are all playing for the same spot, with the number of central midfielders we're likely to bring. However, if Adu loses the seat he has been pretty much guaranteed since the U-20 world cup. (or since he was Freddy Adu).

I have been a huge proponent of Adu, and I still think we should start him as many times as possible in this cup. I mean, this is the first consecutive games he's managed a full ninety in probably since Canada. But my threshold is approaching, and will certainly be exceeded if he doesn't deliver by the knockout stages.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 8, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 8, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Keep politics out of soccer.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Keep politics out of soccer.

Posted by: I-270Exit1

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

We're so used to thinking of Quaranta as an outside mid we sometimes forget that both Santino and Soehn have said publicly his best position is on the frontline. As Bob Bradley said, he's got pace. And his vision and passing ability is excellent.

I think the single biggest thing that works against Santino making the USNT is how frequently he gets hurt (he started the season with a hamstring problem--remember?). I can't remember a single season in which he didn't have an injury issue.

That said, flexibility is a good thing, especially when you're looking at roster slots #20-21-22. And Quaranta gives you a lot of flexibility. He's not a prototype target man but he's tall and is comfortable putting his body on defenders. He can play a withdrawn forward. He can play outside. And he's such a good distributor (skill and vision). All of those things work heavily in his favor. Rogers may be the backup to Donovan on the left side (especially if DMB never gets his mojo back). So who backs up Dempsey on the right side? I think it's probably Holden and Quaranta playing for one spot.

Posted by: JoeW1 | July 8, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

the craziest thing happened an hour before the game... I was just cleaning up after the second Brats and Burgers on the Veranda in the last 4 days and my bro brah from across the way( yeah, the dude I convinced to get dragged along to the Cuba/US WCQ last year) calls ME up to invite ME OVER to watch the game on HIS TELEFUTURA and DRINK HIS BEER! Needless to say... Tonight was one for the flippin' history books. NO I wasn't there. I'm a little sad I wasn't, but to be honest I think my neighbor is finally HOOKED and that'll do. He's in for Costa Rica @ RFK in October. The coolest thing about it all is that the fact that Tino put the gamewinner away will be the reason he becomes a real DCU fan in the next 6 months. My word! Agghhh! USA! USA! USA!

@JfATLish: Rock the machine.

Anyone know if there's a way to get your hands on official US Soccer lettering and numbers for an aftermarket number and lettering?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 8, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------------

Well, so much for that "authoritative" analysis. Dolo got stronger as the match went on. Why does everyone on the internet think they know so much more than the guy who's watching the practices -- the coach of the team, Bob Bradley?

Posted by: fischy | July 9, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse