Gold Cup Matchday: USA-Mexico

A hearty "what's up" from Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

It's not quite a scorcher in the Jerz today, about 83 degrees -- but I can tell you that as I made the long trek from the media parking lot to the media press trailer around the construction in the parking lots I worked up a good sweat, and it feels hotter that 83.

It may not be the top teams for either the U.S. or Mexico today -- as it will be at Azteca for a World Cup qualifier on Aug. 12 -- but anytime these two teams take the pitch against one another you know it's going to be a passionate battle.

"A game against Mexico is a game against Mexico," U.S. forward Brian Ching told goldcup.org. "There's no real friendlies against these guys. Both teams are going to be out to win this game. We'll approach this game same as we approach (the World Cup qualifier)."

The parking lot seemed overwhelmingly green as I surveyed the scene from 11-12, and it's going to be a sell-out crowd watching this battle for the CONCACAF Gold Cup championship.

USA-Mexico
Gold Cup Final

Where: Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
When: 3 p.m. ET
TV: Fox Soccer Channel, Univision

Lineups to you when I get them.

USA Starting Lineup: Perkins; Pearce, Marshall, Goodson, Heaps; Rogers, Beckerman, Pause, Holden; Ching, Arnaud
Subs: Clark, Parkhurst, Cronin, Cooper, Quaranta, Evans, Busch

Feel free to follow me on twitter as I update periodically from the Meadowlands.

As usual, this is the place for pregame, in-game and postgame banter.

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 26, 2009; 12:42 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , Gold Cup , Mexico , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunday Open House
Next: Video: Lopez's Goal From 55 Yards

Comments

it won't be that awful artificial surface, will it?

here's hoping our boys magically found some speed last night.

any comments regarding the shared flight to NY? or was that just a rumor?

Posted by: troy6 | July 26, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

No, that was for real.

Conrad Tweeted that if he had to go the bathroom, he hoped the mexican coach wouldn't kick him n the way by.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

USA! USA! USAAAAAAAAAAAA! . . . oh yeah. boo mexico.

Posted by: Konoha7 | July 26, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

VIVA MEXICO!!!! Mexico is going to win the gold cup. The usa don't got any good players on their team. GO MEXICO!!!!

Posted by: joey0834 | July 26, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Chain Breakers (dadryan?) with a resounding 191 points on the final day to take the first Vuelta de Argy Bargy by a mere 23 points.

Sad to see I left points on the road as I left Voeckler and then Casar on the bench during their wins. Plus, had Garmin not let a gap today on the final corner, Thor could have gotten the overall victory for FC Velo du Mort Negro!

Posted by: delantero | July 26, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

GO CANADA!!!!
oh wait, Canada isn't in this final cuz CONCACAF rigged it for USA/MEXICO.

Posted by: hendrix | July 26, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update Paul. Enjoy the match.
There won't be a replay of this will there be?
Gotta work get some work done this afternoon.
L8.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 26, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joey0834 | July 26, 2009 1:28 PM |

And Mexican fans don't got any good grammar.

Posted by: Gavinmgraham | July 26, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Mexican fans and trolls looking to mess with us, that is.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

anyone know where I can watch it online?

Posted by: doctortechie | July 26, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Line-up per USMNT blog

Perkins; Heaps, Marshall, Goodson, Pearce; Holden, Beckerman, Pause, Rogers; Arnaud, Ching (capt.)

Bench: Busch, Evans, Cooper, Quaranta, Clark, Cronin, Parkhurst

Posted by: emanon13 | July 26, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Careful there, Gavinmgraham. You're going to get some items thrown at you from the stands, and possibly even your computer monitor by those "classy" Mexico fans.

Posted by: freeholdsouth | July 26, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Had to see it to believe it: ESPN2 is doing a PRE-GAME SHOW ahead of the Gold Cup Final right now.

Posted by: Juan-John | July 26, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"oh wait, Canada isn't in this final cuz CONCACAF rigged it for USA/MEXICO."

?

I thought it was because the Canadian national team flat out sucks.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | July 26, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

it would be AMAZING to see the US mens national B team beat mexico....

Posted by: gtrplaya87 | July 26, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

anyone know where I can watch it online?

Posted by: doctortechie | July 26, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

atdhe.net and rojadirecta.org both have it. My personal favorites, no extra software or plugins required.

Posted by: Josh8 | July 26, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

@joey0834
2 - 0

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 26, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Not only is ESPN2 doing an hour long pre game show for a gold cup final, they're doing it for the "off cycle", and when they don't even have the rights to show the game.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Another online viewing option:

Click on the "World Soccer" channel.

(You do have to download a plugin first, but it's available for Mac and Linux as well as for Windows.)

Posted by: shmoozer | July 26, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Mexico always helps us out. I honestly don't think any of the players (or most of the fans) are able to say, "The US has beaten us many times."

I think it is possible today.

But if we win, both here and at Azteca, don't you think they'll all go insane? The US team might not make it out of Mexico city.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 26, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

The Disneyites mentioned in passing that they will be doing a pregame show *and* a postgame show on the 12th as well, even though the game itself will be carried by a competitor.

This is the fist time I've seen the ESPN Deportes reporter John Sutcliffe. His very name seems incongruous.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 26, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

My brother's reaction to Troy Perkins:

"He has hair!!"

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

American soccer fans hate Jay Heaps.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Maryland basketball fans hate Jay Heaps

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 26, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

re: American soccer fans hate Jay Heaps.

As well they should

Posted by: jmingus | July 26, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Can a cauldron be heard? Apparently Max thinks so.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 26, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

who is the girl in goal for mexico? didn't realize this was a co-ed competition?

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 26, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Likelihood that set pieces get taken away from Landon whenever Holden is on the field? Ought to be very, very high.

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 26, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Max Bretos: Does the surface of the field favor one team or the other?
Other Guy: It favors them both.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 26, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

A cauldron can be heard, and something can favor both teams - wonder what else I will learn from FSC this afternoon

Posted by: emanon13 | July 26, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I hate to defend Heaps, but the Mexican left his feet and Heaps cam in cleanly.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 26, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

That every team has a "Gattuso" and you should never miss an opportunity to employ a foreign pronunciation, even when the situation doesn't call for one.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | July 26, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Logan Pause is getting subbed off at half.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

well it's dos y cero . . . too bad that's for cards and not goals

Posted by: emanon13 | July 26, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

The Mexican keeper looks like Sideshow Bob.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 26, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I was about to say how surprised I was things weren't being thrown at Holden during the corner, then a berr bottle showed up.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Beckerman likes the high-and-wide option

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 26, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

It would be good if some of the U.S. players looked at the goal before blasting away.

Posted by: hudson22 | July 26, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if/when FSC will get HD? This picture quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Posted by: soccerman | July 26, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Do we think Bradley will actually make a proactive sub at halftime? He doesn't usually do that. Usually it's a reactive one after we give up a soft goal in an even game.

But if he were to make one I'd take off Pause, put Holden in the #10 position and bring in Tino on the right.

Posted by: Hobes | July 26, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: soccerman | July 26, 2009 3:46 PM

i believe not until the end of 2010.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 26, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: soccerman | July 26, 2009 3:46 PM

i believe not until the end of 2010.

Posted by: birdynumnum

I was pretty sure they were promising it for knockout stages of CL if not before (because of the CL contract they won)

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 26, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Hobes. I checked my watch again. It is Tino time.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 26, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Will Fox Soccer Channel be offering broadcasts in high definition (HDTV)?

FSC is targeting January, 2010 as the date to offer select programs in high definition (HD) where rights and access to HD feeds are available, including the UEFA Champions League, Barclays Premier League and Serie A.

Posted by: emanon13 | July 26, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I fricking love Chad Marshall

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

How tall is Marshall/How short is Medina?

Posted by: emanon13 | July 26, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Tino for Pause, Slide Holden in.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy to see an official willing to give a yellow for time wasting. Get that stuff out of the game.

Posted by: Hobes | July 26, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Marshall is 6'4", just looked that up myself.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: emanon13 | July 26, 2009 3:52 PM |

sweet!

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 26, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how short Medina is, but he is funky and cold.

Posted by: eadc | July 26, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

mother of jeebus. that would have been a great goal.

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 26, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

That's the best tackle I've ever seen Heaps make.

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 26, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

FOR WHAT!?!?!?!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

That is so not a penalty.

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 26, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

ah yes, another great decision by a CONCACAF referee.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 26, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I wrote here before that I liked this referee, but he got that wrong.

Posted by: JkR- | July 26, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

at least Heaps wasn't given a second yellow card on the play . . . Tino time now?

Posted by: emanon13 | July 26, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Dos Santos put a elbow in Heaps' face, Heaps Falls, so does Dos Santos, PK. NO. Wrong.

Just.

Flat.

Out.

Wrong.

And now the diving is gonna get reeeeeeeeally bad.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

That's our Perkins.

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 26, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

life is too short to endure FSC announcers, just switch to Univision

Posted by: Pedalada | July 26, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Where's the foul for the elbow strike?

Posted by: mason08 | July 26, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Fourth penalty awarded to Mexico in the tournament ... draw your own conclusions.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | July 26, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I hate being right. NOW will Bradley recognize that we need a little more punch up front in this game? Some passing and athleticism maybe? Anyone in DC know of any players like that on this US team?? Why does it always take us conceding a crappy goal for the coach to make a sub?

Wow as I'm writing this Perkins is really under fire. Pull it together boys!

Posted by: Hobes | July 26, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Perkins with a HUGE save . . . or make that saves

Posted by: emanon13 | July 26, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

It's a crime that Heaps and Pause are on the field rather than Tino.

Posted by: Pedalada | July 26, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

or make that saveses

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 26, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

is this a pickup game?? are there referees in this game?

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 26, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Well Perkins did all he could. Was that 3 free chances he saved before the 2nd goal?

Posted by: Hobes | July 26, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this is all part of a larger mind game Bradley wants to play with Mexico - making them feel overconfident leading up to Aug 12, so the US can come in and get the underdog shocking win

Posted by: emanon13 | July 26, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Perkins to sue for non-support....

Posted by: JkR- | July 26, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Fire Bob Bradley.

Posted by: notafembot | July 26, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

when was the last time Mexico beat us in the U.S.?

Posted by: Pedalada | July 26, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

This is the worst defending I can ever remember seeing from the national team. If anything Mexico should have more goals this half.

Posted by: Hobes | July 26, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Fire Bob Bradley.

Posted by: notafembot | July 26, 2009 4:35 PM

====

Go away.

Posted by: mason08 | July 26, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

that terrible pk call did us no favors, but we caved in like a sandcastle at high tide.

this is unwatchable.

Posted by: HWLongfellow | July 26, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explain to me why Jay Heaps is on this team? And why Namoff was not called in? I think Heaps was responsible for giving up on all three goals.

Posted by: isaac101 | July 26, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

The ref ruined this match with that awful PK decision. Just ruined it.

Posted by: marquezsucks | July 26, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

OMG. someone make max bretos shut up! what an idiot. does he realize that this US team is barely a "B" team.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 26, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm not even watching anymore.

Dead serious.

I'm two games into a match of top spin.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

One more thing.... Bob Bradley got outcoached in this game. I don't think he should be fired. I just think he got badly outcoached.

Posted by: isaac101 | July 26, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: isaac101 | July 26, 2009 4:41 PM

You're right! Bradley should have put in Vela...

:=)

Posted by: JkR- | July 26, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Hats off to Vela for turning the game on its head, I saw PKs before he came on. As an Arsenal fan as well, I hope to see him make some impacts for the Gunners this season, but I promise I will be shunning him in the first game he plays because of how he has ripped the US open today.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | July 26, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I 'm more upset about Bretos than the scoreline. What an idiot. According to him Mexico is now favored in Azteca because of this joke of a game. Can't FSC do better than this guy.

"The tides are shifting!?!!!???"
What a moron
I'm switching to Spanish broadcasts or turning off the volume from now on.

Posted by: united100 | July 26, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Well at least Jay Heaps wasn't responsible for THAT goal.

I think it is time to go do laundry.

Posted by: isaac101 | July 26, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

August 12th can't get here fast enough.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I'm amazed at how bad Bretos is. I watch games in Spanish before I tune into FSC because of that guy. I can't remember ever feeling so strongly about an announcer before he came along.

Posted by: Hobes | July 26, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Why did Bob take our defense out? Oh wait, they're still there? Awkward.

Can we officially agreeto never play Jay Heaps again? I have5 seen him do anything since the pk, and by anything, I though he might have been redcarded, he's being that abused.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 26, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

our defense is a lug nut ?

Posted by: emanon13 | July 26, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Where's Doc and his Delorean, I need to skip ahead about two and a half weeks.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

And Jay Heaps completes a perfect day by getting a red card.

Posted by: isaac101 | July 26, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Am I missing something? Did Bob Bradley coach Jay Heaps at some point?

Posted by: notafembot | July 26, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone explain why Bradley didn't in sub in for anyone on the back line? Especially after 2-0 when it was clear the defense was getting shredded. Admittedly the pickings are slim, but those guys looked gassed after the first half.

Posted by: hudson22 | July 26, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

with the red card, now the US has the "excuse" of being down a man if Mexico scores (again) in the last few minutes

Posted by: emanon13 | July 26, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm not watching, what was the red for?

Crimes against the game?
Being THAT bad?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

hey, whatever - let the mexican's think that they are "back" based on beating a B team. they'll go back to their myopic ways.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 26, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand how the US look 'gassed' when Mexico went the distance on Thursday.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | July 26, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I guess Jay Heaps WAS in the game after all. Huh.

When's the last time we lost 4-0 at home?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 26, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Mexico.

Posted by: Vicc | July 26, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Make it 5-0 now.

Heaps had a hard challenge, that resulted in his second yellow.

Posted by: isaac101 | July 26, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

thankfully it is over

Posted by: emanon13 | July 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Disappointed in Marshall and Goodson for not having enough pride to make an effort to stop the 5th goal.

Posted by: DCUMD | July 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

A second half to forget.

Time to turn on AC Milan-Inter, where Gooch is starting today.

Posted by: danoshinsky | July 26, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Per Charlie Davies' Twitter (Or is it "Twittre" now that he's in France?) Machine:

WE will rebound from this Gold Cup Final loss!!!
6 minutes ago from web

This really hurts to watch. I feel the pain. Good thing we play Mexico August 12th!

If Donovan and The Gooch had ones, I'm sure they'd be unpostable here.

I'm vaguely confident.
26 minutes ago from web

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

This is a young US team and all but I am absolutely GUTTED!! This is just plain embarrassing!

Max Bretos is scum!

Posted by: Kosh2 | July 26, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

a complete embarrassment, wow. No way any US squad should lose 5 nil to any Mexican squad. Five goals conceded in one half? the personnel decisions are a joke

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 26, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Egads. I normally enjoy Bretos' silly nature, but he was gushing about Mexico non-stop with his buddy Sullivan. It made a miserable game that much more unbearable to watch.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | July 26, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Imagine all the debauchery going on in Nueva York tonight; anyone here live near Rutherford Stadium going to the festival tonight?

Posted by: Vicc | July 26, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Team Mexico needs to send the ref a couple cases of Corona for allowing fake penal kick to Mexico that decided this game.I hope the ref can sleep good at night for blowing that call.

Posted by: jysen32 | July 26, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

fyi: some history/facts per Ives
*******
This is actually not the worst loss to Mexico ever. here are some worse ones:

1957- Mexico 6, USA 0

1949- Mexico 6, USA 0

This IS the worst loss to Mexico on American soil in U.S. national team history.

The last time Mexico scored five vs. the USA? A 5-1 drubbing in 1980 in Mexico City.

Posted by: emanon13 | July 26, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

It is not surprising to me that guys play in Barcelona, Arsenal the likes of top clubs in the world compete against guys who play in the MLS who have no speed, no skill, no vision come up big and won.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 26, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

im over it already. looking forward to Estadio Azteca

Posted by: pino149 | July 26, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

It sucks most refs hate team USA

Posted by: jysen32 | July 26, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Well what we saw from this is our C team is that bad. It sucks, but nothing to freak out about.

Bob Bradley was the chef and the Gold Cup was our strainer. Holden, Goodson, Perkins, and Beckerman emerged after all the crap was drained out.

If Mexico has "returned" as a soccer power after beating our MLS/Scandanavian All-star team then it really shows how far they have fallen.

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | July 26, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad I didn't even record this one...

Posted by: Reignking | July 26, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Not one player on the pitch, Perkins perhaps excepted, should wear the colors again for a year, they folded like a house of cards in a light zephyr. Embarassing performance all around. Show some freaking pride or go home.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 26, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

This ref was extremely incompetent. Mexico gets a PK for a small shirt tug, in the first half Goodsen gets stripped and...whatever.

Bretos is still a whale sized a-- h----!

Sorry Goff, but this stings.

Posted by: Kosh2 | July 26, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

What did we learn today?

-Jay Heaps, Clarence Goodson, Davy Arnaud, Logan Pause, and Robbie Rogers belong nowhere near the pitch. In fact, I propose we apply for a restraining order from every stadium in the world.
-Mexico is good again. F*ck.
-Next month's WCQ is going to be the most intense game in the history of forever.
-We should never put a game in Jersey again. The crowd must've been at least 85-15, Mexico. That's ridiculously pathetic. I don't think I heard Sam's Army once.
-We probably shouldn't send C (yes, C) teams to tournaments anymore. Or, if we are given a gift of surplus players by CONCACAF, we should use that gift to our benefit.
-Troy Perkins is clearly better than Brad Guzan. I mean, he actually PLAYS, unlike Guzan, which, according to Bradley is a main criteria for playing time. Unless you are DMB.
-It will be an absolute relief to see the A team play next month, even if we get steamrolled again. At least they'll look good in defeat. At least they can string together more than 2 passes. At least the right back (either Dolo or Spector) understands that his job is, in fact, not to act as a 3rd centerback, but rather, as a right back.

Well, I'm off to go cry a little. I can't believe it. 5-0. FIVE. None of them the fault of the keeper. That's disgusting. I felt like Grenada, or worse.

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 26, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Mexico needed a result and they emphatically got it today but that doesn't change the fact that they must get results in upcoming qualifiers. Keep focused on the big picture. This gives Mexico (Aguirre) confidence going into Azteca. Mexico's quality in the final third was in form today. Our guys were gassed and Bradley didn't recognized soon enough waht was happening. I'm the boo bears will make a reappearance. Our guys had a good tournament. They battled hard. Give them a freaking break.

Posted by: sbg1 | July 26, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

The two speed players were too much for an MLS backline. One speed player -- Gio in the first half -- they could handle, but add Vela, and they were overwhelmed.

Thanks to everyone for commenting on Bretos -- and I thought it was just me! Bretos and Sullivan should be given membership cards in the El TriColores Clubo de Fanaticos. But they should never broadcast a a USMNT game again. Write to US Soccer & Fox Soccer Channel & tell them what you think.

Posted by: del4dcu | July 26, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Bretos and Sullivan were horrible. Sadly, Sullivan was just following Bretos.

Although Heaps shouldn't have been anywhere near that roster, the poor play of the defense had nothing to do with what league the players played in. That play was just inexcusable. The players were completely out of place and all of their composure.

That red card to Ronaldinho was hilarious. If you want to MLS for something, there you have it. That was a "MLS ref."

The Freedom just beat the Chicago Red Stars 3-2 with a late goal. I think that keeps Chicago out of the playoffs.

Posted by: sitruc | July 26, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody just catch the ESPN comment saying Alexi Lalas and Bob Ley would be in Mexico City for the WC qualifier? Does that mean they're going to show it or is it for ESPN Radio?

Posted by: Lucius2 | July 26, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

On the other thread I just put in a request to Goff to see whether he could find a link to video of Long's GWG. She threaded her way through a crowded penalty area.

Do the tiebreakers work against Chicago? Is that why they're out?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 26, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lucius2 | July 26, 2009 6:09 PM
------------------------------------------

As noted near the top of this thread, Disney will present both pregame and postgame shows (on TV for sure, perhaps on radio as well), even though they don't get to present the actual game.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 26, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lucius2 | July 26, 2009 6:09 PM
============
I heard that too and wondered what it meant. Maybe ESPN is sending them down to Mexico to do the pre/post game shows or could they be the english announcers for mun2?

Posted by: emanon13 | July 26, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Was this Mexico's B team, or is this essentially the same team the U.S. will face next month in Mexico?

Posted by: hudson22 | July 26, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: emanon13 | July 26, 2009 6:12 PM
------------------------------------------

I'd be surprised if their contracts with Disney would permit them to work for a competitor like that.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 26, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

It's a mystery why the US looked so slow, especially since Mexico played their semi later than the US and went all they way to pks. Don't forget that this was also Mexico's B team, with many full internationals missing. One thing is clear, Vela and Gio dos Santos are now full internationals, and they will give the USMNT some headaches on aug. 12. I do worry for the US though...if Onyewu does not get playing time in Milan, who is going to anchor the USMNT defence?

Posted by: fxf2 | July 26, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

Now the Freedom needs to take aim at third place, so we can have one additional trip to the beer garden at the 'Plex.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 26, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

as usual, everyone is over reacting. up until the PK, the US had more of the play. after the bogus PK - the one where heaps was called for hitting a guys elbow with this head - things unraveled. that's it. of course, i am writing this after having a few beers to settle the nerves after the game!

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 26, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Inter taking the 2-0 lead on that counter

Posted by: sitruc | July 26, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

the pk was bogus, yes, but that doesn't excuse our petulant refusal to play for the final 35 minutes.

Posted by: asfoolasiam | July 26, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

lol They wanted that kid to pass out from blowing on the horn.

Posted by: sitruc | July 26, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

ESPN just answered my question. Ley and Lalas will host a pre-game special at 3:30 on Aug. 12

Posted by: Lucius2 | July 26, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Dear World Football Challenge organizers:
If you bring this tournament next year, please be consider to have designated fans for each side and have the players to put more effort and not like walking and not countless subs. I understand that you are on preseason and trying different players but people are paying so much money and obviously you are trying to advsertise the game. Slow play is not the way to feed interest into new potential fans.
Separate fans seating look would makes so much interesting.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 26, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

ESPN2 lost their picture.

Posted by: sitruc | July 26, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Just came back. Oopsie.

Posted by: Juan-John | July 26, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I hope this doesn't have happened next year during the world cup.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 26, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

hudson22,
Yes, this was also Mexico’s B-Team They are missing their best players in Guardado, Marques, Masa, Blanco, Saucedo, and Nery. What Aguirre was doing was scouting for players. Hope he keeps DosSantos (he's fun to watch).

Posted by: id3fan | July 26, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Why woould you buy the field level sideline suites for football? You'll never see over the players on the sideline.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

There were fan sections, DCUnitedFootball. Why do you want to separate fans? Just because it looks nice to see the colors contrast at the 50?

It's pre-season. As much as we can want them to, the matches don't matter. The atmosphere helped determined the play. The Foxboro game was played in a 2/3 full Gillette Stadium in heat. That wasn't the most exciting match and teams didn't always play up to the event. The Baltimore game had a much better atmosphere and expectations. The same is being seen in Arlington. It was most likely slow in MA mostly because of the heat and pre-season conditioning. One must also take into account the differing styles of play being seen in this tournament.

I hope Medina plays August 12.

I asked the same question as soon as I heard about them years ago, JacobfromAtlanta-ish. The only answer is because you can.

Posted by: sitruc | July 26, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

to paraphrase joedoc @ I-270?
Guess I picked a bad week to quit heroin...;-)
I knew I was making the right decision when I picked getting some work in this afternoon...
Same with the DCU match last night.

@delantero: I haven't even checked my versus fantasy, I was out in the country once again and I missed your congrats earlier... thank you! first fantasy anything I've ever won. Soooo, what is my prize?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 26, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Just wide by America. They have had the better of play so far.

Posted by: sitruc | July 26, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

It would be interesting if Alexi Lalas and Bob Ley are also going for the mun2 broadcast. Lalas did just say they were going down for a little work...

Posted by: sitruc | July 26, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

As they soon talked about, they're doing the ESPN pre and post game shows

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

There have been some amazing scrums in the Club America box. They can't defend set pieces. They have been lucky not to concede a goal or maybe even have a penalty called against them.

Half
0:0

FSC is replaying the Gold Cup Final

Posted by: sitruc | July 26, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I turned off at 3-0. I know this edition of the Gold Cup is meaningless and we were playing with a B- or C+ team, but why does it seem like every time US soccer gets on a roll and attracts publicity, we go and do something horribly embarrassing like this. Most of they people who will ask us about this tomorrow won't understand the caveats and will just think that we sucked. THen people will think, why bother watching if they lose that badly to Mexico. The only thing in our favor is that almost no-one gets FSC.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 26, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I usually like Sullivan. I'm going to give him a pass because he had to fly from San Jose to New Jersey and do this on almost no rest.

Bretos lost his free pass years ago. He could have had a week of rest and still be vacuous.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 26, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Those two teams will never meet again. Maybe Brian Ching will start against 3 of the Mexico players from this game.

The comparisons to August 12th are absolutely bizarre.

if I were to play into this stupidity, I would say it would be a bonus for the US mentally, because Mexico would be overconfident going into the qualifier, but the entire premise is bogus.

The players who won the game today (with the "mental edge") will be sitting at home watching the game on TV.

Even Wahl is buying into this load of cripe.

Posted by: united100 | July 26, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

...and this "American soil" cripe is a bunch of bull. Everyone knows the only "Home Field" games the US plays against Mexico are in Ohio in October when the Tri fans are afraid to make the trip north and freeze their cojones off.

Posted by: united100 | July 26, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

1.-Mexico did not bring its A team.
2.-Aguirre is definately doing a great job.
3.-Aguirre shows he has studied the US style, Mexico waited and counter attacked. Instead of attacking all the time wich has lead to its losses.
4.-Vela and Dos santos finally seem to have regained that communication wich lead to the under 17 World Cup.
5.-The US team should be very worried. Mexico has the tactical advantage, as the US will play the same that has done wonders for them in the past. While Mexico comes with different variants, players.

Posted by: salsipuedes | July 26, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

It's worth mentioning, the espn ticker is now noting that none of the starters from last month's Confederations Cup played today.

Posted by: sitruc | July 26, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I forgot.

Mexico is going to play the US with its own medicine. It will wait and counter attack the US. What will the US do when they don't have the spaces for the only weapon they have? and Mexico doesn´t fall into the same attack plan as usual?

Posted by: salsipuedes | July 26, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Goal Chelsea 76' Di Santo

Posted by: sitruc | July 26, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Goal Chelsea 78' Malouda
Chelsea leads 2-0

Posted by: sitruc | July 26, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Believe it or not, the US can score by more than one method, salsipuedes. I'm not exactly sure what the point of your post was. The US didn't bring their "A" team either. Mexico did bring a few A players though. That was evident especially with Vela. Vela and Dos Santos should stand out against the sort of opposition they were up against. We will see completely different lineups in Mexico City. Today's match has little bearing on August 12.

Only 57,229 in Arlington? It looks like a lot more.

Posted by: sitruc | July 26, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

That was a good match until the Jamaican ruined it, and the guys in white just quit.

Oh, well.

Posted by: mason08 | July 26, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Whoa now, Mason. Pleeeease tell me I missed your sarcasm there.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Well, if the US can score in other ways, i havent seen it. They are all about counter attack and very little actual play. This has worked wonders because many teams who view the US as a small team, play them at full attack falling into the US plan and style. But when another team waits and counters, the US doesn´t seem to know what to do.

I agree that its going to be a very different ballgame on August 12. But i am sure of one thing, Mexico is not going to play the US doing what they have done in the past 10 years, attacking. They will wait, wait, and counter.

It will be interesting to see what the US does when it doesn´t have the space to counter.

Posted by: salsipuedes | July 26, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Now that the Gold Cup is over, who on the US roster merits consideration for 2010? Did anyone prove he's good enough for a spot on Bradley's WCQ starting XI? Who has garnered a fighting chance?

Posted by: Brokenbil | July 26, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 26, 2009 5:21 PM
------------------------------------------------------

This is really the salient point. Sure, the PK call was obscene -- and sure if Rogers puts away his shot over the bar, or the PK is not called, it is a totally different game and result.

Does not matter. For the last week we have been wondering about Pearce, Goodson and Marshall -- whether they have played themselves into the varsity. Other possibilities were Rogers, Holden and Beckerman. The midfielders were awful all game. No touch. The defense looked good in the first half, but they mailed it in during the second half. The center backs refused to step up and actually challenge the Mexican defenders. On the last goal, Marshall looked totally disinterested. I thought he had earned himself an invite to play in Europe, but that invite is rescinded. You can forgive goals allowed, but not lack of effort.

After today, the only players who deserve another look are Perkins and Cooper. The rest of the lot have to improve their skills and learn how to compete. Take a lesson from Gooch. He was totally pwned by Milito, but he recovered to play a very strong game. Even with the mistakes, he has given Leonardo something to consider. I expect Gooch will get a lot of time this year.

Posted by: fischy | July 26, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

That should read; The center backs refused to step up and actually challenge the Mexican attackers.

Cooper did not get enough of a chance. Perkins looked pretty great. The rest of the team looked like they do not belong on a World Cup pitch. I hope we have a strong generation coming up.

Posted by: fischy | July 26, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brokenbil | July 26, 2009 9:15 PM
------------------------------------------------

I assume you are being sarcastic. Perkins might merit a look as the backup keeper. I do not think anyone else even showed they should be on the plane to South Africa. The starting XI....you have to be kidding.

Posted by: fischy | July 26, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Holden might have a place on the bench, but he needs to be sharper.

Posted by: fischy | July 26, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't particularly impressed with the Gold Cup squad either, but I assumed Bradley used it as a way to look at guys on the largely domestic side (MLS) of the player pool.

What about Stuart Holden? Does he have a better chance than Freddy Adu at getting called up for a WCQ?

Posted by: Brokenbil | July 26, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

u guys are a bunch of idiots.

up till the horrible pk we looked ok.

the pk changed everything in this game.

it was an unforgivable pk. that guy should be banned for life.

needless to say. a good team shouldnt disintegrate after a horrific call of cataclysmic proportions.

still couldnt finish.

cooper is too slow. he cant play.

holdend beckerman and perkins can play.

a team is only as good as its weakest player and jay heaps is so bad he shouldnt be allowed to park the cars for the USMNT.

i blame the idiot bradley for this b/c heaps sucked royally in every game up to this point and shouldnt have been allowed to breath the ny air.

that said 5 goals is an embarrassment.

Posted by: castroviejo | July 26, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I thought what I saw of Holden was better than I expected. I didn't see todays disaster.
fischy, who is your left mid in your starting XI for the World Cup?
While you are at it. Why not just drop your entire starting XI for SA already...
I can see Holden or Tino earning their way to South Africa if any, or either one stays healthy.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 26, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Jacob-
Entirely serious. There were what, three.... four, route 1 breakaways that Perkins stoned before the second goal. That was after maybe one or two really good chances for Mexico prior to the PK. That's because they just quit. Prior to that there had been a fair bit of back and forth.

BB's team management strategy for this tournament seemed to be:
1) Start with a B-team,
2) Play a match,
3) Send key players from the match back to their clubs,
4) Goto step 2.
Eventually something like this was bound to happen.

Posted by: mason08 | July 26, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I meant more about the whole calling out the ref as Jamaican thing. Why was that necessary?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

===

Oh, please...

Posted by: mason08 | July 26, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Holden had an off game today, but he actually wasn't poor at all. In a match where the rest of the team (particularly the defense) didn't completely give up on their responsibilities, Holden would have still easily played his way into the "A" squad.

Also, I don't really get the love for Perkins. He was competent, but far from special in any manner. He made one close-range save which resulted in a gift rebound for Dos Santos (not that it would have been easy to steer it away), then he provided little resistance on any of the other goals. He was definitely hung out to dry, but he didn't do anything to make me say 'this guy is special'. Sure, he's thrown his name into the #3 competition, but he certainly hasn't provided anything to challenge Guzan. In my mind, his level of play is just at the level of the squad we put on the field today -- good against mid and lower level competition, but nothing you'd want out there against the top level.

Posted by: psps23 | July 26, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

I think there are one or two spots still up for grabs on the national team. Beasley is vulnerable at left mid and the team needs more options at forward. Perkins looks like he'll be the #3 goalie, but what about Hahnemann? I think another senior player with Premiership experience would bring valuable leadership to the locker room.

Posted by: Brokenbil | July 26, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

To continue... How many times is a referee refered to as, "The English Referee and American fourth official...," or "the German Referee, " or "the Scottish Referee"?

(Bonus points to anyone who can figure out who I was talking about!)

Posted by: mason08 | July 26, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I mean if they come back to their clubs, and continue to excel. I would say Houston has suffered worse than we have but they're missing Chingy and Holden. I hope Tino is relieved to get back home, and plays like it.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 26, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

You're right Mason, I overreacted. I'd just seen a couple of people take it a bit too far a couple other places. Sincerest apologies.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Typical Bradley game. Stick too long with players that everyone knew before the game started shouldn't of been out there DA and JH. Subs way too late, no in game adjustments. Can anyone think of game ever where Bradley made a sub say before the 70 minute mark that made a difference or an in an game alignment switch or the like?

I have to disagree about the game. I thought the midfield played well the first 55 minutes but Arnaud and Ching couldn't score to save their lives. I'm no Ching fan at all, but the only way he works as the "hard working target forward" is to be paired with someone who was a real threat to score like a Davies or maybe Cooper who showed some flashes in his limited minutes in Gold Cup. I saw every game of Gold Cup and I'm trying to figure out why DA deserved such loyalty from Bradley?

Posted by: restonhoops | July 26, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

It was an extremely hot day up at Giant Stadium. Seemed alot hotter than 83. We had seats in row 8 and went back and sat in the shade. We traded our seats to two Mexican supporters and stayed there. It was a nice time. Who was the guy who got tackled by the cops and security going for the Mexican goalie? My husband said he had on a black jersey and red and black face paint. If he was from here I don't think he will be back tonight. Great atmosphere and nice people. Great day.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | July 26, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

I always thought Bretos was a tool - and a poor announcer. But his slobbering all over Mexico is just intolerable. What the heck is the point of that?

Posted by: googlio | July 27, 2009 2:24 AM | Report abuse

He's Bretos, googlio, he's gotta slobber all over *somethin'*

Posted by: spidergoose | July 27, 2009 7:05 AM | Report abuse

I still think we could have won this game if Vela hadn't shown up in the second half. He was instrumental in everything, his danger made it possible for the defense to forget about everyone else.

I don't know if either Marshall or Goodson can make the roster now. They both looked flat footed and stupid on several goals.

Well, release of tension. I think we all were wondering why Mexico hadn't scored hardly at all before this game.

But... wish we didn't want to give their strikers (especially Vela and Dos Santos) confidence going into Azteca.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 27, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

Do the tiebreakers work against Chicago? Is that why they're out?

==========================================

WPS is very good about putting up highlight videos. Keep an eye on this page:

Chicago's out because they lose the tiebreaker to Jersey (0-3-1 head-to-head record).

Posted by: kevinwparker | July 27, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Stupid people can be found on both sides of any border. US/Mexico, US/Canada, Mexico/Guatemala. I really hope that someday we respect each other. There is no need for agression to each other over a soccer match. This is the time to have a beer a watch the game with friends.

Have a cold one everybody.

Posted by: pledezma01 | July 27, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse