Matchday: USA and MLS

With a quarterfinal berth already secure, the Americans (2-0-0) wrap up group play in the Gold Cup with a 7 p.m. kickoff against Haiti (1-1-0) at Foxborough (Fox Soccer Channel, Telefutura). The USA has never lost a first-round game in tournament history and is seeking to clinch first place in Group B with a victory or tie, thus sealing passage to Philadelphia next Saturday night for the start of the knockout stage.

We already know that Group A winner Canada (2-0-1) will play the early quarterfinal in Philly next weekend and that Group A runner-up Costa Rica (1-1-1) will be in Dallas. In tonight's late group match in Foxborough, Honduras looks to set up a quarterfinal with the Canadians by beating Grenada (9 p.m., Telefutura).

Sunday's matches in Phoenix:
Panama vs. Nicaragua, 5 p.m. (Galavision)
Mexico vs. Guadeloupe, 7 p.m. (Univision)

Take a look at the Gold Cup standings and schedule.

MLS Tonight
Houston at Seattle, 4 (Direct Kick)
Kansas City at New England, 4 (DK)
Dallas at Colorado, 9:30 (DK)
Toronto at San Jose, 10:30 (DK)
Columbus at Chicago, 8 (ESPN2)
Los Angeles at Chivas USA, 11 (FSC)

By Steve Goff  |  July 11, 2009; 2:50 PM ET
Categories:  Gold Cup , MLS , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Morning Kickaround
Next: Beckham Speaks

Comments

Steve, thanks for keeping us up to date even though the evil empire is off tonight. Any update on expanded suspension for the MEX coach?

Posted by: crewfanscott | July 11, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Since for all practical purposes we have won Group B do you think BB will trot out newbies tonight? Here's what I think would be a fun lineup:

Robles
Heaps Goodson(if available) Marshall Pearce
Clarke Cronin Holden Rogers
Quaranta Cooper

Posted by: b18bolo | July 11, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I hope to see some new players but have liked beckerman's play and would like to see him continue in the midfield. Also, I hope both rogers and holden play too. Who ever else, well, I will leave that up to the wonderful wisdom of Mr. Bradely.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 11, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Is the vacation over?

That Montero goal shouldn't have been called a goal.

Posted by: sitruc | July 11, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Altidore on loan to Greece and Olympiakos.

And Aguirre on his "kick" . . where's the apology? Did he even give one?

"I didn't have good conduct in those two or three minutes, that in my opinion, were brought on by a waste of time by part of the opponent that tried to defend a ball when the referee had called a throw in," an apologetic Aguirre explained. "The Panamanian player (Phillips) kept on playing outside the pitch. I wanted to stop the ball, there is contact with the player, inevitably because of the momentum that the player had. I lifted my foot too much and I regret that."

"The only one who knows the intention of the play is me. The player had a lot of speed," Aguirre continued. "There was actually a Mexican player in the middle and I didn't have time to move my foot. That's how I see it, and there's no one who can say what my intention was."

Posted by: delantero | July 11, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Supposedly Ching criticized the officiating via twitter...

Posted by: sitruc | July 11, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I hope Bradley does not start Heaps-- just because I hate Heaps.

Posted by: jmingus | July 11, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

That Ching/tweet thing threw me for a loop, and then I remembered: he's in Boston.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 11, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"I hope Bradley does not start Heaps"

I hope Bradley does start Heaps and he shows so his typical poor to mediocre play and is never invited back to camp.

Posted by: delantero | July 11, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | July 11, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

They interviewed Dom Kinnear (right after a corner kick goal by seattle 90 seconds into the second half) and asked about the tying goal he said "Oh, not good. We all know what it was."

So, since I was in the car and it's not up on MLSnet yet, what happened?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 11, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Ianni put in a prayer that was very close to offside. Kinnear may receive a fine for remembering the linesman who called the Montero shot a goal from a controversial call against Houston in 2006.

Posted by: sitruc | July 11, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I do not have a clue JacobfromAtlanta-ish

This makes me laugh though. Earlier in the week Curt Onalfo called montero a punk for a supposed dive in the USOC match. The pictures in that match show some contact but it appears Montero was going down no matter what. (to be honest the picture can almost be viewed how one wants to see it)

I know its not the same issue but it just makes me laugh that two controversial calls have involved Seatle within the span of five days.

The Montero images can be found here

Still searching for the new incident.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 11, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I saw the second goal, what happened with the first one?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 11, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe the Jozy story -- only goal.com has it.

Posted by: Reignking | July 11, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I missed the Houston goal because of overheating problems with my computer.

First Seattle goal was a shot by Montero that was cleared off the line by a Houston defender, but it was called a goal.

Posted by: sitruc | July 11, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, Aguirre was right about one thing. The ball was clearly over the line and Phillips kept playing it, but so did the Mexican defender.

Posted by: fischy | July 11, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Tonight's USMNT starting lineup:

Robles; Evans, Parkhurst, Conrad (c), Heaps; Quaranta, Holden, Cronin, Clark; Cooper, Arnaud

Posted by: addick | July 11, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

@addick I like the starting lineup. Good to give Heaps and Conrad a trot out there, as well as Arnaud. Lineup reunites Parkhurst and Conrad on the backline.

Posted by: billindmd | July 11, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

@ b18bol0
You got most of what you wanted.
Prolly been covered but where is Adu? Not on the pitch not riding the pine. Did they send him home?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 11, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Arnaud gets the first goal for the US

Posted by: sitruc | July 11, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Adu is back with his club.

Posted by: sitruc | July 11, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Where does Robles play his club footie?

Posted by: Juan-John | July 11, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

@ John John according to http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=players

Robles plays for Kaiserslautern Bundisliga 2

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 11, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

FSC is calling every offside Haitian "Fabrice Noel."

Just to be petty, I'm going to call both announcers "Max."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

IMO, Holden and Tino are the only bright spots. Arnaud seems to have disappeared after his goal.

Oh. Haiti is Jamaicaesque in that blown chance.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

parkhurst is the worst.

burned twice already.

Posted by: castroviejo | July 11, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

holden is the best player on the pitch.

Posted by: castroviejo | July 11, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Halftime and a Haitian player is flagged offside.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Columbus @ Chicago on espn2...

Posted by: sitruc | July 11, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Geez Louise. Defense is craptastic. Heaps is screwed into the turn by the turn. Parkhurst is ball watching.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

screwed into the turf

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

1-1 Haiti and Heaps got burned

Posted by: jmingus | July 11, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

After that performance on the wing, Heaps should not get another CAP again, ever.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 11, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow.....

Posted by: addick | July 11, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Haiti leads 2-1

WTF?

Posted by: sitruc | July 11, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

This is unbelievable.

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 11, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Holy F-word S-word. Heaps toasted again. 2-1 Haiti.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

In a real hole now. 2 goals in 2 minutes. ouch.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 11, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Heaps cleared that second one worse than one of my U12s

Posted by: jmingus | July 11, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

It was a helluva shot though.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Jay Heaps sucks a giant sucking. But then, we all already knew that.

Bradley needs to bring in anybody for Heaps.
Rogers for Clarke.
Davies for Arnaud.

The result of this game doesn't particularly matter, but losing to Haiti is simply unacceptable.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 11, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Heaps needs off the field now. HS players don't make clearances like that.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 11, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

What a total dick move by Haiti there.

We put the ball out so their player can get treatment, they throw the ball in, then kick it out deep in our end.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 11, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

The result matters because it's a problem when the 12th-ranked team in the world loses to the 120th, regardless of personnel. I don't care, and neither will FIFA rankings and World Cup seedings, that this is our C-team. A loss to Haiti would be embarrassing.

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 11, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

like i said in the first half.

parkhurst needs to never return.

heaps too. he is a joke.

Posted by: castroviejo | July 11, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Need somebody on the left who can provide service....

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 11, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Beckerman for Tino... Really?

Wow Bob.

What a braindead move.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 11, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Interesting strategy by Bradley - push Heaps up so that he's not giving away goals on defense.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Heaps cannot cross the ball to save his life, neither can Clarke.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 11, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Beckerman can settle the game down. Tino doesn't do that. We were forcing balls in bad spaces. I would have put him in for Arnaud though.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Davies ought to be able to equalize in the next 20 minutes. Haiti is not good.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 11, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Having said that, Arnaud seems to have picked his game up with Cooper's departure.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Could be that he is trying to rest tino for the next round...

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 11, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I'd still have kept Quaranta in. As I270 said, bring Beckerman in for Arnaud, push Tino up. THen Davies for Cooper.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 11, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

And WHY do you we keep trying to attack from the left? Our left is freaking HORRIBLE.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 11, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Haitians falling down like maple leaves in a strong late autumn wind.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 11, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, defensive errors, but weak keeper doesn't help.

Posted by: soccerfan | July 11, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Heaps' crosses are gentle breezes. He should be in ceiling fan ads.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Two goals, 4-5 subs, and lots of injured Haitains in the 2nd half. Ref is going to add 1 minute

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

This tells me everything I need to know about Jay Heaps.

From Wikipedia:
Heaps played for the Duke University basketball team under Mike Krzyzewski from 1996 to 1999.

And this too:

Heaps is very interested in fashion, and is a self-proclaimed "recovering shopaholic."

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 11, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Not only should Heaps not ever play for the Nats again, he should have his citizenship revoked. GOAL!!

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | July 11, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

CRONIN WITH A GOLAZO!

Posted by: alecw81 | July 11, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

W-H-E-W

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

And I was just writing that Holden's corners and free kicks were making me long for Landy's skill at them...

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 11, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

HOLDEN!!!!!!

Posted by: addick | July 11, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Err Holden... oops

Posted by: alecw81 | July 11, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Holden is good. Great goal!!!

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 11, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Mark Rogondino just called Holden "the pride of Clemson University." He may have forgotten that Gooch was part of that soccer program, too.

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 11, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

How did that just end? There was an injury and then it was over.

We were already going on to the next round. We learned a lot about a few players...

Posted by: sitruc | July 11, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Minutes 26-91 were average to poor. If it weren't for some questionable non-calls, we wouldn't have deserved the tie.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

like i said in the first half.

holden is the best.

davies impressed again in his short time

parkhurst evans heaps should never wear jersey again.

Posted by: castroviejo | July 11, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Evans? there was someone named Evans on the field?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 11, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, there was an Evans. Unfortunately, his highlight for the Gold Cup so far is his getting a yellow for coming onto the field without permission.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | July 11, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

This tells me everything I need to know about Jay Heaps.

From Wikipedia:

And this too:

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 11, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

thats awesome

Posted by: castroviejo | July 11, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

That's almost as awesome as when someone changed a wikipedia page for one of the Mexican team's goalie in the Superliga to say he was a known flaming homosexual, but this is true, so it wins.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 11, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Heap and Parkhaust shoud never be in the national team. They are just rubbish. Conrad is slow. Cummings can't shine, Cooper can't shine. The only player worth are Davies and specially Holden. Holden has been mostly consistent in most games.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 11, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

my ultimate complaint is how ugly the US jersey is. I really really hope they will have new nicely designed jerseys next year and stay classic. The current one is horrible.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 11, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

So what did Montero do now?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 11, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

missed the entire game, unfortunately. glad to hear we escaped with a point and the group win despite the craptacular lineup. i guess i have 2 thoughts:

1) at least we won't ever see most of thee players again in a meaningful game.

2) can i just go ahead and blame this on the horrible turf in Foxboro?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 11, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

A: I rather like the current National team kit.

B: Montero had a goal get cleared off that the linesman called good.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 11, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

count me among those who would prefer to see a new kit before WC 2010. i don't hate it, but i would never buy it.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 11, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

with so many perfectly good stadiums in this country with natural grass fields, why is it that so many games in this tournament are being played on this crappy FieldTurf?

Posted by: fedssocr | July 11, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

As somebody who has both current shirts, I expect Nike to come up with something new for the WC that many will hate and few will love and I will buy.

Honduras just went up 3-0 over Granada

Posted by: sitruc | July 11, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually looking forward to the artificial turf in Dallas since it is the first of three fields just being put in.

Posted by: sitruc | July 11, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Jerra spent some coin on that turf, it'll be nice stuff.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 11, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I came across an online community for individual seeking interracial love. It is --Mixedmingle dot com--- All singles there are seeking interracial relationships and sports friends. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish!

Posted by: sallyworking2006 | July 11, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

spam comments are the FieldTurf of Soccer Insider.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 11, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

The home jerseys look like a cheap Abercrombie & Fitch/Polo knockoff.

Posted by: addick | July 11, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Have to say, surprised that Bradley took out Tino, but whatever.....

A couple of questionable calls, but ultimately, we got lucky to get the point. That being said, that goal by Holden was, in the words of good ole Ray Hudson, a cracker! A beautiful goal.

I've been impressed with Davies and Tino, most definately. D is a little scetchy as well, but over all....we come out in first. Fair enough.

Posted by: dogboy | July 11, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

"and some that realistically shouldn't even have been honored by a call up like Heaps!! A sad joke, really. Namoff is 10 times the defender"

Heaps has played his way off the national team, thank goodness. If you are used by Haiti, you don't deserve a second call up.

Posted by: delantero | July 11, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Heaps was only there as a sop to the NE crowd. He now has the one (and please God ONLY) cap he'll ever get. Robles was very, very unimpressive. Assume we won't see him again as a third keeper for the Cup. The first two are Howard and Guzan, so who will be the third? Hahnemann? He got dropped by Reading.

Posted by: macheath | July 11, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

South Africa awaits!

The bubble spots are open but with room to move into the team . . Holden, absolutely yes. Parkhurst yes. Tino, yes. Cooper, yes. Perkins, yes, but still a 4th GK behind Howard, Guzan and Hannehman.

Otherwise, next summer it will be the Confed Cup roster minus Beasley and Conor, plus Ching and Holden. Any other roster spots will depend on our needs at the time.

GK: Howard, Guzan, Hann.
DEF: Spector/Hejduk, Gooch, DeMerit, Bocanegra/Bornstein, Pearce.
MID: Donovan, Dempsey, Feilhaber, Bradley, Clark, Holden, J. Jones, but still an unknown as he isn't capped
FWD: Ching, Altidore, Davies, Cooper,

Bubble: Rogers, Parkhurst, Tino, Klestjan, Perkins, Arnaud, Adu, Conor, Mastro

That's 21 spots plus bubble. How many on the final roster? Any of those last spots will go to players that can play more than one spot (like Carlos Blackmouth can).

Posted by: delantero | July 11, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

"He got dropped by Reading."

But picked up by a newly promoted EPL team, Wolverhampton.

In the World Cup, the third keeper shouldn't see time, but realistically you have to go for the guy who has been in tough spots. EPL and the Championship trump the Norwegian league. Perkins remains a viable candidate, but Keller and others are still there too. Robles? No way.

Posted by: delantero | July 11, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh, forgot Cherundolo. Can Spector or Hejduk play on the left?

Posted by: delantero | July 11, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

@delantero: given up on Torres? Or never really into him? What happened to that kid?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 11, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Torres! Yikes, like Bradley, I forgot he was there!

There are 23 spots on the final roster. He was on the Confed Cup roster, just forgot to put him on that list.

Posted by: delantero | July 12, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Modified Roster . .

GK: Howard, Guzan, Hann.
DEF: Spector/Dolo/Hejduk, Gooch, DeMerit, Bocanegra/Bornstein, Pearce.
MID: Donovan, Dempsey, Feilhaber, Bradley, Clark, Torres, Holden, J. Jones, but still an unknown as he isn't capped
FWD: Ching, Altidore, Davies, Cooper,

Equals 23.

Posted by: delantero | July 12, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

I guess Im in a critical mood. I will start with this blog. Interesting to see some of the comments above. I guess a Saturday night USMNT match brings out some seriously casual fans -- ignorant comments like the one about Hahnemann moving on from Reading. Of course, every one is entitled to an opinion -- but since we are busy ripping into the athletes, I think it must be OK to criticize the bloggers, too.

Now, on to the game. Lots of weak performances. Only Holden, Davies and Arnaud looked halfway decent. Holden -- four or five moments of brilliance. Obviously, his corner kicks need a LOT of work. He needs to have more imagination on the dribble, too. Every time, it was the same cutback move. Still, neither goal happens without him. He has as much skill and potential as anyone in the USA fold.

Yes, Heaps and Parkhurst sucked. The clearance by Heaps was not good, but I am not sure why he was clearing it. Robles was sliding out to play the ball. I would have to see it again, but I did not think Heaps had played the ball yet. It should have been called by Robles... I was not impressed with Robles, but he has time to grow into the role. He is not very experienced yet, even at the club level.

The referee made his share of mistakes. This was not the first time I have seen refs call corner kicks instead of a foul, but the one ball clearly came off Arnaud. It was just silly to call for a corner. And the missed foul against Davies was a bad mistake.

Even the announcer irked me because he does not know the difference between a contingent of fans and a contingency. If you are paid to speak, you should have a command of hte language.

Without a doubt, though, the worst performance tonight was by the FSC broadcast director. This was the worst coverage I have ever seen. Seriously. I think we missed more of the game than we actually saw, becauaase of the incessant repetition of replays and the split screen view of the coaches. Even the occasional close-up of a player. By the fifh time they showed a replay I was convinced that the shot by Holden did not cross the line, but they showed even more replays.

All this while a game was supposedly being played. Yellow cards being handed out unseen. I suspect a lot of action, too. Those shots are supposed to be used for breaks. I hope I never see a broadcast like that again.

Posted by: fischy | July 12, 2009 1:34 AM | Report abuse

And my typing sssstinks, too.

Posted by: fischy | July 12, 2009 1:36 AM | Report abuse

delantero -- you need to wait. Things change. If Edu is healthy, he may have a spot. We have not even seen Edgar Castillo, yet, either. I would not rule out Quaranta, yet. The USA has 3 more games to play, I hope. Who knows -- maybe Eddie Johnson will get hot, I am joking, but you get my point. A lot changes in a year.

Posted by: fischy | July 12, 2009 1:45 AM | Report abuse

". A lot changes in a year."

Right, but if the Cup started in two months, that'd be my lineup. Edu is still an unknown at this level, but will provide more competition for Clark, etc. Edgar Castillo won't be in the mix, really, unless the front runners fade dramatically.

Posted by: delantero | July 12, 2009 1:52 AM | Report abuse

I just watched some MLS highlights online. The Revolution/Wizards match really looked like it could have been a USL match. The Revs without Joseph and Ralston are terrible. Reis was the only reason they got one point.

Then contrast that with another scoreless draw between Chicago and Columbus. I think we're starting to see five teams clearly separating themselves from the rest of the pack: Houston, Seattle, Chicago, Columbus, and DC.

Posted by: DCUMD | July 12, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

South Africa awaits!

GK: Howard, Guzan, Hann.
DEF: Spector/Hejduk, Gooch, DeMerit, Bocanegra, Pearce.
MID: Donovan, Dempsey, Feilhaber, Bradley, Clark, Holden, torres, J. Jones, but still an unknown as he isn't capped
FWD: Ching, Altidore, Davies

bubble: goodson, marshall

bubble like to see more: jeremiah white, kamani hill if he wasnt injured, Adu ( alot more - he stunk it up in copa oro ), Rogers, edu, castillo

Bubble should not go imo: , Parkhurst, Tino, Klestjan, Perkins, Arnaud, Conor, eddie johnson,Mastro,cooper,

bubble will go just dont want them to go: bornstein

That's 20 spots plus bubble. we need to find some other players.

Posted by: castroviejo | July 12, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: macheath | July 11, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Heaps was awful

Parkhust was always praised for his "reading of the game" to make up for his lack of size but he was also to blame on both goal last night(he was marking the man for the header). He's not quick enough to cut it

Perkins is a better choice goalie than Hannamen, you've got to consider age at this point and get some young blood on a WC roster. He seems much improved on crosses since his DCU games, and confidence. Very clutch also.

Guzan more likely to be third and second is up for grabs, unless Brad Friedel feels like giving up his consecutive games streak or they loan him out (not likely on load)

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | July 12, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse