Matchnight: City Islanders at United

Greetings from Maryland SoccerPlex, where in about two hours D.C. United will kickoff in the U.S. Open Cup against the USL2 Harrisburg City Islanders, a team that two years ago surprisingly knocked off United in its Cup opener.

Unlike Goff last week, I took the not-so-scenic I-270 route and paid for it with some wonderful rush hour traffic. Still, not the worst commute ever, but I got out of Arlington early enough to beat much of the backup.

In the press box early on, the talk is still of Oguchi Onyewu heading to A.C. Milan (and playing at M&T Stadium in Baltimore), as well as the Real Madrid friendly (80,000 to greet Cristiano Ronaldo).

My focus will soon move to the match at hand...I promise.

D.C. United vs Harrisburg City Islanders
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m.
Radio: WTOP 1050 AM (English - Live streaming), WACA 1540 AM (Spanish - Live streaming), WZHF 1390 AM (Spanish), WLXE 1600 AM (Spanish)

I'll get the starting lineup to you as soon as I have it.

DCU Lineup: Kocic, John, Janicki, Namoff, Fred, DiRaimondo, Jacobson, McTavish, Barklage, Khumalo, N'Silu.
Subs: Wicks, Gomez, Olsen, Simms, Pontius, Wallace, Burch

As usual this is your go-to place for pregame, in-game and postgame banter.

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 7, 2009; 5:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Onyewu to Milan *Updated*
Next: United Rewind

Comments

USL live does not list this one. They lsit Wilmington-Rochester and Houston-Charleston.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't think USLlive does USL2 games, unless they're playing a USL1 team.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 7, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Really -- no internet stream? Do I have to get out of my sick-bed to go see this game?

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

According to the DCU website, no viewing options available. So, I'm gonna listen to Limarzi on the interwebs.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 7, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I love Tony, but soccer is one sport that doesn't really make the leap to radio -- for me. It must be seen to be enjoyed. That said, I love his "goals" calls.

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

"And, it's a GOALLLL for DC United!"

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Considering usllive showed the mls v. pdl game last week I'm disappointed tonight's game isn't also broadcast, USL2 or USL1 regardless. Just wish DCU had the capability to do their own online video (open cup, coffee pot, etc.) I don't think the radio feed ever did work last week...here's hoping this is better.

Wish the we could get 80k to show up at Raljon for the RM scrimmage. Now that would be a payday that proves it was worth the gamble to schedule the match.

Hope to see Fred in the middle tonight.

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | July 7, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I agree fischy, soccer on the radio sucks...Its not like football or basketball where its somewhat tolerable on the radio...

If anybody has an internet feed please post it here. Thanks...

Posted by: alan19 | July 7, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Alan, if nobody is broadcasting, no feed can be provided.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 7, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, if USL can afford to stream games for free, why can't MLS? Or at least individual MLS teams when it comes to Open Cup / CONCACAF.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 7, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Can't someone broadcast from an iPhone? Isn't there an app for that?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm just guessing, but I think the reason last weeks' game was broadcasted was the David vs. Goliath nature of the match. They had a lot of trouble last week, too; the internet crashed, they were broadcasting from a rooftop until rain came, and once they got re-started in the 2nd half they were in cramped quarters with an obstructed view.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 7, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Ocean City did all the work to get the USL Live broadcast up last week, despite DC hosting.

It is a shame that MLS teams, with the means they have, can't do a stream of US Open Cup games while there are two other games being broadcast in the same round.

Posted by: callmesanchezzz | July 7, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

It's possible they don't want to provide a free stream, isn't it? Giving away the product not the best marketing solution, and all that...

Over-egging the pudding, really....

Posted by: JkR- | July 7, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Paul, does that mean Fred is on the left (assuming you're going left to right based on the back three) and Barklage is our attacking midfielder?

I'm guessing we're once again hoping that the reserves can, at worst, keep the score tied so that we can send in the cavalry if we need to turn the game.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 7, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the reason USL clubs are moving heaven and earth for an Open Cup game is because in most cases it'll be the biggest game of the year for them. Meanwhile, for DCU, it's a difficult-to-market game during the work week against a club from a lower level.

Just a thought.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 7, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

This lineup will fail.

Soehn, don't be an idiot. United don't have another match til the 18th FFS.

I could understand resting Gomez and Olsen, but the other starters should be starting, with the exception of Kocic for Wicks.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 7, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I would wager that mls clubs don't stream because of rights issues, if the home team owns the media rights, which is standard, then streaming of any sort reduces their potential market (especially for things like this cup match)

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 7, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Once upon a time, MLS streamed selected league matches without charge. Then they added a subscription fees.

Does the home team have the media rights in a single-entity league? At any rate, the Plex won't sell out for a USOC match. The closest I've seen was the DC-Columbus match a few years ago, and that was before the stadium expansion.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Considering I live in Durham, North Carolina, and I'm currently broke as a joke, driving up for the match was a bit out of the question. Especially considering it's $20 for a freaking Open Cup match at the Soccerplex.

I guess I'll just listen to Tony and curse Soehn everytime one of the reserves does something stupid.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 7, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Is the radio broadcast available online?

Posted by: tcbannon | July 7, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Tony has Fred on the left and Barklage in the middle. Wasn't expecting that.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 7, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

where is wtop 1050, can't find it! Internet, help!

Posted by: StewartDC8 | July 7, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Go here: http://www.dcunited.com/

There's a running Twitter feed, and to the right, a direct link to the audio.

Posted by: JkR- | July 7, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alecw81 | July 7, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Track the game on http://www.dcunited.com/

Now with bonus tweets.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

tcbannon: Tony has the call on 1050am using windows media player, follow the link off of dcunited.com or

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | July 7, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

gol boyzzz!!!

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | July 7, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Khumalo scores in the 8th minute on a header.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 7, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

"And it's a GOAALLLL for DC United!"

Boyzzzz Khumalo in the 8th minute. 1-0 DCU.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 7, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Boyzzzz! Goal!

From a forward position no less!

Posted by: JkR- | July 7, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Yes! Thank you!!

Posted by: StewartDC8 | July 7, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

So remember how I argued that Khumalo should be in midfield because he's not a sharp finisher?

Uh, right. I was just being contrarian...yeah, that's the ticket.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 7, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about you guys but I *like* listening to Limarzi's game calls. He does a fine job.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 7, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I very much enjoy Limarzi, especially if it's the only way to watch or listen.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 7, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Of course Fred blows another scoring opportunity.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 7, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I just got to see "Estadio Columbus Crew" on the bottom of the screen. I'm not sure whether or not I think that's cool yet.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 7, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

alecw81:

Cheer up. We got the early goal against a bunkering, inferior opponent. The game is going pretty well.

Jacob:

Nothing about Columbus or the Crew is cool.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 7, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Jacobson heads in a corner in the 18th.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 7, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

2-0 :)
fred's corner to jacobson

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | July 7, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

"And it's a GOAALLLL for DC United!"

Andrew Jacobson in the 18th minute. 2-0 DCU.

"This could be a very long night for Harrisburg." -- Limarzi

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 7, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Impossible to tell if Harrisburg is as bad as they sound... Doesn't particularly sound like our guys are doing anything special to score.

Khumalo was unmarked on his goal, as was Jacobson.

And of course as I type this Fred blows another chance by kicking it straight at the keeper...

Posted by: alecw81 | July 7, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Nothing about Columbus or the Crew is cool.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 7, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Chest, sir, with all due respect, three words: Guillermo Barros Schelotto. He IS pretty damn cool, IMO.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 7, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

We are deadly from corners in the Open Cup. It's been that way for a long, long time. Why doesn't this translate?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 7, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind football on radio. From 2005 until I got FSC, I suscribed to the "World" thing that gave me 90% of English matches from all divisions. I used to listen to the most compelling match involving an American. TV is better though.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 7, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Lets not forget we lost 3-2 to Brazil after a great first half. Ya never know what is going to happen! hehehe

Posted by: Stevida | July 7, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

houston 1-0 charleston 1st half still, heavy rain

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | July 7, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Khumalo is going to get hat trick tonight.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 7, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

alecw81:

Seriously? It's 2-0. I'm sure it would be nice to score on a movement where all 11 players get at least one touch, and the ball never touches the ground, and the goal comes from a bicycle kick from 40 yards, but that doesn't happen often. It's kind of harsh to blame DCU for beating an easy opponent. We're in total control despite playing just 2 regulars. We've ruined Harrisburg's initial tactical approach. What more do you want?

SportzNut21:

I don't know. I mean, if he likes being in Columbus, something has to be wrong with him.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 7, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

If that's the rain that blew through here, it'll last 45 minutes at most.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 7, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Hi, my name is Fred and I should straight at the keeper whenever I can.

We need to trade/sell/cut him already.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 7, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

fred! Fred!! FRED!!! come on...finish!!!

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | July 7, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

@ SportzNut21
I would rather clean toilets than root for the Crew even if they had Kaka, Ronaldo, Micheal freekin Jackson and you offered me $1000.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 7, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm just saying our goals have been more a factor of Harrisburg being bad then United doing anything special.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 7, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm kinda rootin for Wilmington; RoAchester kinda scares me. Didn't RoAchester beat us (United) the year they won the Open Cup?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 7, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

And Fred misses again....

Posted by: alecw81 | July 7, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

"John is getting taken advantage of one on one"

Shocker!

Posted by: no_recess | July 7, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

goal Rochester in the 54', 1-0

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | July 7, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

9Nine9:

They did beat us 10 years ago. However, we beat them last year, and frankly they did not look like a very good team on the night. It took awhile to score, but that was more a function of DC not playing all that well.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 7, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

@9Nine9: I just like entertaining American soccer, regardless of whether it's from DCU, Columbus, Chivas USA, Seattle, or a USL squad like Charleston.

This obviously leaves out the Pink Cows :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 7, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Nothing about Columbus or the Crew is cool.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 7, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21

Don't forget those HARSH winters. And Ohio State football in BCS games....
I guess those are cold not cool, huh?

Posted by: sobugged1 | July 7, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind listening on the radio. It really seems like everyone in an attacking role who's playing for DCU have caught Chad Barrettitis... smashing balls over the bar?
time after time?
Does anyone have a live feed of the Michael Jackson afterparty?
Ughh.
Go United!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 7, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

@Chest
RoAchester just seems to be a well organized operation. They used to (still?) average over 10,000 per home match...not bad for a lower division team. I always thought they would join the MLS.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 7, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget those HARSH winters. And Ohio State football in BCS games....
I guess those are cold not cool, huh?

Posted by: sobugged1 | July 7, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm from Ohio, so I know about winters there. And I'll bet you like M*ch*g*n gridiron football, don'tcha? :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 7, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Rochester got hosed by a corrupt owner. The stadium never got finished, the team is not at the level it once was. Too bad as they have a strong loyal fanbase and some large industry in the area. They are supplanting Buffalo as the "big" city in western NY. Unfortunately for them, MLS is a pipedream.

Posted by: sobugged1 | July 7, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Is DiRaimondo playing on the right and I haven't seen him play. Is he any good?

Posted by: asccrew | July 7, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

No I'm a Terps fan.
My mother lives in a little hole of a town 1/2way between Columbus and Cinci...so I know about the weather there.
Just can't stand watching OSU go and get hammered every year...everyone knows they will and that they don't deserve to be there.
Speaking of corrupt owners...

Posted by: sobugged1 | July 7, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Is DiRaimondo playing on the right and I haven't seen him play. Is he any good?

Posted by: asccrew | July 7, 2009 8:36 PM

Hard to tell from where I'm sitting. I'll head over to the living room to see if I can tell from there.....

:-)

Posted by: JkR- | July 7, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

wilmington 1-2 rochester, 75'
houston 1-0 charleston, 46'

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | July 7, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

asccrew:

DiRaimondo is a defensive midfielder. He's in the middle.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 7, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Pathetic, giving up a goal to a USL2 team when up a man...

Posted by: alecw81 | July 7, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

@sobugged: I grew up in a town between Dayton and Springfield. My parents live in a little Appalachian town pretty close to the center of the triangle formed by Chillicothe, Athens, and Gallipolis.

And while I typed this, Harrisburg scores. 2-1 DCU.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 7, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

rochester wins 2-1
houston 3-0 charleston, must be nice to put a team away

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | July 7, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

@SportzNut21

It would be stupid of me to go on the Crew's blog (if they have one) and try to convince people that DC United is cool. I'm not saying you are stupid but if people say you are, I couldn't blame them.

I root for DC United, USA and any foreign team that has Americans. THERE ARE NO OTHER COOL TEAMS. All other teams can GO SUCK A LEMON and that includes the stupid CREW!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 7, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Is houston playing with regulars or mostly reserves?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 7, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Same old story for United 2009: Strong start, then they let the other team back in the game. either they blow it, or they hang on by a thread. When they blow it, then they have to put on that 90th minute push.

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

DCUF: not sure about Houston's lineup other than it seems to be a mix of reserves and starters

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | July 7, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

MLS is living in the 20th Century. They need to have their own TV production capability -- even if it's just for internet streams. Fans should be able to watch United play tonight, as well as the Seattle-KC match later on.

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I agree fischy and wonder if they get a little overconfident sometimes. And think they can turn it on and off.

SportzNut......west of Chillicothie - leesburg,hillsboro area. Nice rolling hills but not a thing to do.

Posted by: sobugged1 | July 7, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know that last Barra song? -- sang it last week, too -- never heard it at RFK

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------

Maybe they'd prefer people come to the stadium (unless of course the game is sold out)

What is the attendance, incidentally?

Posted by: fentysupporter | July 7, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

@SportzNut21

If I did try to convince Crews fans that United is cool I would make a list:
4 MLS Cups, 3 Supporter Shields, 1 CONCACAF Champion's Cup, 1 Inter-Continental Cup and 2.5 US Open Cups! Did I miss anything, we have so many trophies I have a hard time keeping track.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 7, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to wish Fred wasn't on DCU and that makes me a bit sad. I can only take the missed shots/opportunities for so long. I don't expect it to change in the next week or three, but I hope we use his $$ somewhere else this offseason.

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | July 7, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Score update anyone?

Posted by: BurchFan4 | July 7, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fentysupporter

So would MLB, NHL, NFL, etc, etc.......but they offer other options.
MLS can do better by their fans. I'm stuck at work till 10pm. I could watch a stream. Or record it at home. I can't and won't always make it to the stadium. And lets not start with JacobfromAtlanta.

Posted by: sobugged1 | July 7, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

full time. DCU win

Posted by: fentysupporter | July 7, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

US Open Cup matches wouldn't be MLS productions anyway.

But as I suspect the match is half full, I'd be more concerned with putting together a goal of putting fans in seats rather than incurring the expense of video production with no revenue stream to show for it.

Posted by: JkR- | July 7, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

@9Nine9: I appreciate that...I think what I'm trying to say is that I have a very broad view of "cool" soccer, one that is not limited to one team.

DCU plays "cool" soccer -- as do several other MLS teams. In fact, DCU is so cool, they just finished off Rochester 2-1. Next up, Rochester.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 7, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

score still 2-1 at the end.

Posted by: fentysupporter | July 7, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

DCU-2 HCI-1

Posted by: DadRyan | July 7, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Err, just finished off Harrisburg. Rochester is next.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 7, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

@fentysupporter -- I've made that same comment myself -- however, as I'm not up to attending tonight, it would be nice to be able to see it. Other sports are keenly aware of the need to provide TV coverage and to attract viewers. Note the hullabaloo last year when the pathetic ratings numbers suggested the Nats' TV viewership was even less than their paid attendance. TV/video coverage allows for greater market penetration. It strengthens the brand, so it helps to boost attendance. If fans watch and learn to appreciate Open Cup matches, even on TV or the internet, they will be more likely to come to games.

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

FINAL! #DCU 2 - HCI 1.

Posted by: sobugged1 | July 7, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

fenty supporter:2,137

Posted by: DadRyan | July 7, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

If we were a smaller club, they'd be worried about gimmicks like broadcasting open cup matches. What would really help is to get those media savvy supporters to volunteer their time instead of asking the Man to give us something for free.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 7, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

@ SPORTZNUT
Alright nutzy...yer one cool Crew fan. I get tired kicking the dog and smakin the kids so I thought I'd tee-off on you. ;)
Oh and by-they-way, the Crew sucks!!! : ) G-nite punkin.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 7, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

OK -- let's go lasso up some Rhino horns...

And, let's hope they bring some merchandise with them, this time....

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

When is the next game against Rochester?

Posted by: soccerfan80 | July 7, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

DC vs RoAchester on July 21 or 22 according to http://www.usopencup.com/2005bracket/index_E.html

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 7, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

If I did try to convince Crews fans that United is cool I would make a list:

Plus an almost infinite number of Atlantic Cups :-)

Posted by: Wyrm1 | July 7, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 7:22 PM
------------------------------------------

You did mean "eggs-pansion", didn't you?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 7, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Is ESPN going to show games in the us? If not, what's the point?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 7, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

if it was going to be on the weekends it is possible sell out

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 7, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 7, 2009 9:03 PM
------------------------------------------

The analogy is a bit flawed, insofar as this is not United's blog. As Goff has emphasized on numerous occasions, this blog is affiliated with the Washington Post, and has no connection to DCU, your kid's U11 team, or any other node in the football world. It belongs to football fans of all descriptions.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 7, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Canada has finishing trouble -- that's 2 goals they should have scored in the last couple of minutes

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Is ESPN going to show games in the us? If not, what's the point?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 7, 2009 10:32 PM |
--------------------------------------------------

The point, if you read the article, is to turn ESPN into an international sports brand -- not just the USA. Ultimately, they would hope to become THE international sports brand -- the channel most people watch for coverage of world football, the World Cup, and someday the Olympics.

The US market is nice, but there's big, wide world out there that needs conquering.

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Made the last 10 minutes of the game. I went berserk when I thought the ref called a PK in the final mins of the game.

Posted by: redskinsux | July 7, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinsux | July 7, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Haha I thought he called a PK too. I was screaming at the ref at the top of my lungs, when meanwhile a Harrisburg City fan right next to me was screaming at the ref at the top of his lungs too.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 7, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Canada's got six points in the Gold Cup after their 1-0 win over El Salvador tonight, enough to earn them a spot in the knockout round. Good for them!

Happy for Gooch also signing with AC Milan, who need some defensive help.

Also happy for DC United, now that they're through to the semifinals of the USOC.

Posted by: billindmd | July 7, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game. A few things I saw: NSilu has no vision, Fred cannot score, Avery John is horrific, Barklage is in a leg brace, and Christian Gomez is going to lead this team to the finals. Also, DC needs to take a look at Harrisburg's RM/CAM - (small black dude) - he was amazing on the ball and made Avery John's night even worse. He would be a good pickup - anyone know his name?

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 7, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

back from the match.
my thoughts: we put a very inexperienced team out there and in the end they barely managed a win. I thought Fred was better than a lot of posters here. I did not think Gomez was as much a factor when he came in as the posters here. I thought Boyzzz played the game of his life - chasing down every ball and running just as hard in the 80th minute as the 1st. Both goals were textbook heading for United. Player ratings for those I remember: DiRo 4, Fred 6, Boyzzz 8, Janiki 6, Namoff 6, Kocic 6, N'silu 4, Wallace 5. The rest aren't listed because I can't even remember their performance, so I give them a collective 4.

Posted by: dsheon1 | July 7, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Last chance to register your TDF fantasy cycling team at Versus.com... The game becomes official with tomorrow's stage 5.
Come join the fun! The Argy Bargy league is in full effect thanks to Reignking. Can't believe I got the points I scraped up today, too bad they won't count...

I'm hoping for a Sounders/DCU final for the Open Cup. Is the final bid on as well? What chance do you think DCU would get to host again, if the Sounders make it?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 7, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

@dsheon -- well, I didn't get there, but I'm curious about your Khumalo observations. What about his miss at the end of the first half? Aslo, why does Janicki get a 6, when it seems he gave the ball away and gave the Islanders their only goal?

Losing Barklage could really hurt in a number of ways, but it will show up most around the time of the next USOC match. We play the Rapids on the 18th, the Rhinos on the 21st, and then travel to SJ for a game on the 25th, only to turn around for the CCL game on the 28th. All told, 5 games in two weeks, finishing that stretch in Houston.

@DadRyan -- if it comes down to a bid, I'd imagine Seattle would come in with a much higher bid -- maybe 3x or 4x what DCU would bid. On the other hand, Seattle still has to get past KC tonight, and then the Dynamo loom awfully large. That would be in Seattle, but still...If the Sounders get through that one, it's because they play more of their top players than Houston.

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Well -- a PK in the 89th minute probably wins it for Seattle....

Posted by: fischy | July 8, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Seattle advances. My guess is that Houston would let us host if we both go to the final... right?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 8, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

@Dad -- I don't know. My guess is that Houston could expect a bigger crowd, so they can probably afford to outbid United (if that's still how it's decided).

A little research turned up an ESPN story that referred to the 2005 USOC final. That's the one where the LA Gals beat FC Dallas, after Dallas edged DCU on PKs following a 90th minute PK goal to tie. For the rights to host, the Gals outbid Dallas, $50,000 to $40,000. My guess is that the winner of this year's Seattle-Houston semifinal game will put in the higher bid.

Posted by: fischy | July 8, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

@cow_pasture: eggs-actly

@fischy: A big, wide world to conquer? Maybe ESPN will succeed where EuroDisney failed by winning the hearts and minds of football fans.

@Wyrm1: Midwestern fans are more impressed by dull, wooden trophies such as oak buckets, axe handles, and the like.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I have a friend in Madrid who gives me occasional, cynical, comments about Real Madrid. This one seems appropriate.

... in the 2 hours after Ronaldo's introduction, the official store opened for 2 hours, and sold 2.000 shirts with his name, and yesterday 15 every minute. The price, according to the official website is $132.58 (US). Profitable? The toughest down side is that the money to pay for Ronaldo's trade was loaned for the most part by a Credit Union from Madrid, controlled by the local government, that is not supporting small companies and home buyers with loans because of the crisis.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse