Matchnight: United-Rhinos

Greetings from the 'Plex.

Who definitely won't be in uniform tonight against the Rhinos?
Santino Quaranta (USA national team)
Clyde Simms (adductor-groin injury)
Dejan Jakovic (rest after Gold Cup)
Brandon Barklage (knee surgery)
Danny Szetela (still awaiting international clearance; blame the Italian federation)

Rhinos you might recognize: D Kenney Bertz (DCU fourth-round draft pick in 2006), MF Brent Sancho (T&T national team), MF Tiger Fitzpatrick (RSL), MF John Ball (Chicago), GK Scott Vallow (Colorado/N.E./Dallas; seven saves in MLS debut vs. DCU in 2003).

From the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle preview:

The Rhinos carry a chip on their shoulder. Bertz, who was drafted by D.C. United but didn't make the team, referred to "MLS arrogance" with how it approaches the Open Cup. Fitzpatrick said the tournament seems "skewed toward MLS teams."

Kickoff is 7:30 p.m. No live video. Listen to Tony Limarzi's radio call at WTOP's Web site. Follow my updates on Twitter.

DCU's lineup soon.....
DCU: Kocic; Namoff, Janicki, John; McTavish (right), Jacobson (defensive midfield), Wallace (defensive midfield), Khumalo (playmaker), Fred (left); Moreno, N'Silu. Subs: Wicks, Burch, DiRaimondo, Olsen, Gomez, Pontius, Emilio. (Emilio not available after playing 90 Saturday in his first appearance in a month; he was scheduled to come out early, but Simms's injury was final substitution.)

You've come to the right place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion.

By Steve Goff  |  July 21, 2009; 6:08 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , U.S. Open Cup , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Few Minutes With Dejan Jakovic
Next: Early Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

One man's arrogance is another man's bitterness.

Posted by: very_clever_username | July 21, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I think this will be the toughest USOC game thus far. With our depleted lineup and having played a tough game Saturday, I hope we get the result because I want to see a final again.

Posted by: sbg1 | July 21, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Does Khumalo have much experience at the playmaker position? I could see switching him and Moreno. Also, if McTavish is labeled "right" and Fred is labeled "left", as if the five midfielders were in a single row. Please clarify.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 21, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

That is a bizarre midfield. Wouldn't this...

-------------------- Fred
Wallace - Jacobson - McTavish - Khumalo

...make more sense?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 21, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts exactly, Chest. There seems to be a bit of an FSC influence in Goff's positions.

Posted by: Kenobi | July 21, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone else tried the Limarzi link? I'm getting a WMP window with no sound.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 21, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Even if Limarzi has not yet gone on the air, the show in progress on that radio station should be audible.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 21, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

It does seem strange, but the way Goff described the lineup matches the diagram up on dcu's website

Posted by: emanon13 | July 21, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

We make the guy who is all sounds and fury our playmaker? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the playmaker have to, I don't know, pass well, have a shot at scoring? Oy, what's happening?

If we win this thing, I'll be surprised.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 21, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

@cow_pasture
That happened last time. It will start at 7:30.

Posted by: spikeman | July 21, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes, and I do blame the Italian federation. Them and their team, whenever possible.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 21, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

That happened last time. It will start at 7:30.

Posted by: spikeman | July 21, 2009 7:16 PM
-------------------------------------------

I hope you're right. However, I believe that link is for the radio station as such, not just for the United game. Thus, anyone who tunes in before 7:30 should be hearing regularly scheduled programming.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 21, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Count me as not understanding this midfield either. Khumalo has never played CAM for this team. I like Chest's midfield suggestion much better.

Posted by: DCUMD | July 21, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

OK, then there seems to be an FSC influence in the diagram on DC's website. Wackiness. I knew I should never have doubted you, Goff.

Posted by: Kenobi | July 21, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I've been told that Wallace and Jacobson will support playmaker Khumalo, Fred on left flank, McTavish on right flank. We'll see how it evolves.....

Posted by: Steve Goff | July 21, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

ugh... John is actually playing... no bueno.

I also think Khumalo is a bad choice at #10.

I'd definitely have this as the midfield:

---------McTavish--Jacobsen---------
Khumalo---------Fred---------Wallace

Posted by: alecw81 | July 21, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, Abbey Okulaja???? We are doomed!

Posted by: fedssocr | July 21, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Twitter Update from DCU: DCU has made a slight chance in the formation. Fred is now at A-mid and Boyzzz has slide to the left.

Posted by: emanon13 | July 21, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Blame it on the I - I - I - Italians

and auto-tune

Posted by: diego_r | July 21, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

how on earth could Rochester leave Ze Roberto on the bench? He was on the Brazil 1998 and 2006 World Cup squads?

I know this is a DC United pipe dream, but does Boyzzz have any chance (even a 5% chance) of being on the Bafana Bafana squad in 2010?

Posted by: diego_r | July 21, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

@diego_r

If your not being sarcastic, thats not the same Ze Roberto. He plays for Hamburger SV.

Posted by: spikeman | July 21, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

goal!!!!

Posted by: spikeman | July 21, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

@spikeman - yeah, that was my poor attempt at a joke. Did you use wikipedia like I did to look up facts about Ze Roberto? I should have added a bit complaining about them leaving Tiger "Woods" Fitzpatrick on the bench too :)

Posted by: diego_r | July 21, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Jaime Moreno is unreal

Posted by: diego_r | July 21, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

@diego_r

yeah I did use wikipedia.I thought you were joking but i couldn't tell.

Posted by: spikeman | July 21, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Jaime has to be the greatest PK taker I've ever seen. I mean, who can you say is better?

Maybe Cantona. I remember a highlight reel of him making the keeper go the wrong way every single time.

Still, if this guy ever retires, he should take his show on the road.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 21, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

any luck with your radio cow_pasture? Or did you have to go old school like I have and listen to the crappy clock radio? I downloaded silverlight and the link is still not working for me.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: emanon13 | July 21, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

DR: The link is working for me now. I'm not familiar with Silverlight. I'm using plain-vanilla WMP.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 21, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

is it still halftime? that link isn't working for me either emanon... ugh. back to the back yard I suppose.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Try this: http://www.federalnewsradio.com/index.php?nid=8

Make sure you click the link for 1050 AM instead of 1500AM. Game is not on 1500.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 21, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

hmm - the link I posted has been working fine for me for the entire game. It opened up windows media player.

Posted by: emanon13 | July 21, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

1-1

Posted by: StewartDC8 | July 21, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Problem is I've been using Safari. Finally got my wife to trouble shoot, stupid link works in Firefox. Another reason why DCU has really dropped the ball making it such a pain in the neck to follow such an important game. Weak.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

gooooooooaaaaaaaaal!!! 2-1! boyzzz

Posted by: spikeman | July 21, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Khumalo!
2-1
82 min

Posted by: StewartDC8 | July 21, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

khumalo scores on pontius rebound! DC2 rochester1

Posted by: AndyinDupont | July 21, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

jUst in time for Boyzzz to score!!!! 2-1 Yeah!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Might be over-egging the pudding a bit there Dad....

Posted by: JkR- | July 21, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Konoha7 | July 21, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else gonna watch the other semi-final on the Sounders website?

Posted by: spikeman | July 21, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Final Score: DCU 2 - ROC 1.

Phew!

Here's to RFK in September!

Posted by: Juan-John | July 21, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Hunh? Who's even going to know that DCU is playing in a Cup Final of a tournament that is impossible to watch? Seems like a legitimate gripe compared to all the anglowhining going on about the MEX/US WCQ.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

@spikeman: probably. you?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

yeah im gonna watch it

Posted by: spikeman | July 21, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

who's in a sling?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

maybe we can call back Louis Crayton just in case we need someone to celebrate a US Open Cup triumph properly.

Boyzzz for World Cup 2010 !!!

Posted by: diego_r | July 21, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan

I believe it's Boyzzz in the sling.

Posted by: spikeman | July 21, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

yup - Boyzzz was in the sling; DCU twitter reporting he has a shoulder or wrist injury

Posted by: emanon13 | July 21, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Before I read the other comments:

I was working softball games tonight, following on DCU and Goff's twitter machines.

Thoughts: When I heard who the ref was after reading about the handball call, I thought "Wonder if it was legit?"... This can't be good.

I wish Moreno United fit like Raul Madrid does.

I don't know if he had a hand in the goal (or a foot), but when I read Gomez was at the scoring table, I thought "Game over".

Good for Boyzzz.

Now I'll read y'all's thoughts and watch the other game.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

The Seattle website has Houston playing a 3-3-4. Well, this should be entertaining.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Man, Dad's already talkin smack on the SSFC website...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

@Jacob

Are you watching the video. I can't find it.

Posted by: spikeman | July 21, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I think the shock of adding to his stats threw Boyzzzzzzz into the way of danger. Like winning the lottery and slipping and knocking yourself out at home.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 21, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind, it's up.

Posted by: spikeman | July 21, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Somebody said the game doesn't start til 20 after, and the feed won't come on til 10 after.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

There it is, up and running.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Man, Dad's already talkin smack on the SSFC website...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Nothing new there dude. Too many cautions on SI, gotta get my kicks somewhere...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Over 2600 viewers for the online stream and the actual game hasn't started yet - wonder how many the site can handle

Posted by: emanon13 | July 21, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Boyzz has a broken wrist according to DCU twitter

Posted by: addick | July 21, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

DCU players wear their wrist casts well. Badge of Honor.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Always a bit frustrating when the pieces don't quite click but a win is a win. I still couldn't tell where Boyzzz was really playing, and I could hear Rodney and John yelling at him for being out of position. Thank god he was Johnny on the Spot for the rebound.

I would have liked to have seen a straight Moreno for Gomez switch, it seemed like the time before Christian came on was the stretch where we lost control of the game.

Posted by: M__N | July 21, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Can I just say, unrelated really to what's going on:

I like Kei Kemara.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

jacob and anyone else watching on seattles website, register to the website (its really easy). some seattle fan is talking crap about United

Posted by: spikeman | July 21, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

yes, join the fun...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see Jen's Voight's crash today? I figure since it's past on the last replay it's not spoiling anything is it?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I have no beef with Seattle, I'm not gonna act like I do.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Back just in time to watch the Sounders game. Would have liked to see more folks at the game -- I don't know why we can't get as good a crowd as Seattle has -- but it was a dream driving up there. Not even a minor slowdown on I-270. And, I was able to win a raffle for Glory Days certificates because no one came or entered. Someone else won the autographed ball.

For those going apepoopy about Khumalo's positioning, he played on the wing the entire game. Didn't do a whole heckuva lot either -- at least not in the first half. In the second half, he delivered a great thru-pass to spring Pontius. Actually, his pass should have come sooner, but the refs blew the call in calling Pontius offside. Then, of course, the goal. Bummer to hear it's a bad injury.

Khumalo was better than Fred, who had the worst game I've seen from him. For the first 40 minutes, every touch he made really stunk. Not to mention stopping McTavish's shot which was an almost certain goal. Even his cross which set up the penalty call should have been better.

Still, it's a win.....Give Kocic most of the credit, as Rochester created more really dangerous opportunities.

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Well they obvioulsy have a beef with DC so you should defend them

Posted by: spikeman | July 21, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

For anyone else at the game, I'm seeking input on 2 things. One -- the penalty call. I didn't see any infraction. Did you? Two -- what did you think of DiRaimondo's slide tackle? Obviously, he sent the guy to the hospital, so I understand the Rhinos' visible anger. It was a very hard slide, but he did the ball. The ref didn't see a foul there, and neither did I. Anyone disagree?

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

simulated beef. metronatural chip on their shoulder they can't seem to shake off after their superbowl fail...
JfATLish, I talk "hella" smack because I lived in Emerald City for 9 years and they are famous for jumping on the bandwagon with anything remotely "cool". Just having fun. Believe me, I give my friends an even harder time than the white nerds on the Sounders boards.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I was 4,371 viewer

Posted by: Norteno4life | July 21, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I meant to say: "He did get the ball."

There are now more people watching the Sounders' webcast than turned up to watch in Germantown. Don't know what to make of that...

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Dad, I knew that. And like you said, I think it's just a "Hey, dump on DCU cause we play them next and no Dynamo fans are here". I'm thinking nothing of it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Starfire is still easier to get to than the Plex fischy, that' what's up. Cheaper tickets too.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Also, plenty of those viewers are people like us, from all around, just watching to watch.

Akinby for Houston in the 35th. 1-0.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

------

He made some saves yes, but the ball distribution was like a flashback to old school Kevin Hartman. The way he was booting the ball out and short was rather troubling. Besides his blatant disregard for Boyzzz's injury, I felt their keeper had a better night all around.

Posted by: M__N | July 21, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Tickets were pretty cheap for tonight's game, Dad. $15 for planholders, $20 for general public. We complained about the prices, the team responded by lowering them...and it made no difference.

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Fischy,

It looked to me like the ball sort of hit a slightly extended arm on the penalty, but it certainly wasn't as obvious as the one the ref missed about 5 minutes earlier.

As to the slide tackle, I thought it was pretty dirty. DiRomando may have touched the ball, but he was going right through the Rhino regardless of whether he got the ball or not. That's the sort of foul that draws cards and send offs internationally (not the DiRaimondo is ever going to play internationally...) and should have been at least a yellow. McTavish also should have gotten a yellow for his tackle from behind about 5 minutes earlier.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | July 21, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

@M_N -- I also noted his boots were a bit anemic. He seemed to prefer outlet throws. While I like to see a goalie try to touch off a break that way, Kocic needs to get stronger with his kicks.

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

@fischy

I was at the game tonight. 1) The PK: I thought it was called for a hand ball. The ball looked like it hit the Rochester player in the upper arm area. 2) DiRaimondo tackle: The Rochester fans up where I was sitting were calling for a foul/card because of the injury but still admitted it was a legal tackle. It was a hard tackle and bad result, but not a foul and definitely not a card.

Posted by: dancreel | July 21, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Actually, DiRaimondo has played internationally. He scored a couple of times in U17 Cup qualifying. Also, went to the Cup finals.

However, I take your point. As I wrote, it was a hard challenge. I was probably more focused on following the ball as it ping-ponged. It probably did deserve a red. Certainly, it was as bad as any of the red-card tackles USA players made in South Africa.

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

While technically a legal tackle (that was my first instinct when I saw it), he went in hard and studs up and obviously got man as well as ball. Because of this, I think he should have received a straight red. It was a VERY dangerous tackle.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 21, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

It's all relative fischy. Seattle is a hype machine, while DCU barely wastes a dime on promoting themselves in this competition. While I appreciate the drop in price, I must pick my matches wisely. Even more so than I did last year. I've been selling oranges on the side of the road to get my funds up to go to the Firpo match...;-)
Check out Sound Transit's website look at the Tukwila light rail station's proximity to Fort Dent Park where Starfire is located... Then tell me if you think that getting to the Plex from anywhere in DC or Arlington is close to as doable.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

None of the red cards given to the US in the confed cup were fair (although I didn't see Kljestan's). None of those tackles were even close to as dangerous as this one.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 21, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Okay, way off topic, but, those headsets tv commentators wear are incredibly comfortable. I mean cozy, almost like a good pillow. I got to try some on at Philips Arena during a high school game. Really nice.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if DiRaimondo's tackle is subject to some post-game review...for USOC suspension. Probably not. Really a bummer for the Rhino player. I fear we haven't seen the end of this. If we play them again in a year or two, they're gonna have a huge chip on their shoulders. This game could easily have gone the other way, especially with different calls by the ref. On the other hand, they really did blow it calling Pontius offside. I was watching that develop, waiting for Boyzzz to see it and make the pass. I swear he was still onside.

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan

Yes. In slo motion. I had a sickening feeling while watching that. Good to hear he is ok.

Oh, and Team Hematocrit is going to get a new name, the Black Death, as Voight means I have three riders who've crashed out.

Did you hear the "Argy Barginess" line by Phil Liggett as he described Cavendish's sprint against the almighty Thor!

Posted by: delantero | July 21, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

wow just saw highlights on Fox 5 of the game.. good job...

why was this game not streamed or on mun2 :eyes roll: shame on you dc united front office..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 21, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Okay, here's my take on Sounder's fans:

Some of them were diehards years ago. Some joined with the USL team when the awarding of the MLS team was announced. Many went to be cool/check it out, and got hooked thanks to the team being good and the FO doing a great job promoting the team and the great atmosphere, and a small minority are losers just trying to fit in.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

@Jacob

I think its a huge majority are losers just trying to fit in.

Posted by: spikeman | July 21, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

So, is Houston going to hang on? Sounders are getting their chances... I think I'd rather face the Dynamo, but they're both tough.

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

When Sound Transit gets that last couple of miles of light rail line done from Tukwila into Sea-Tac airport, that is going to be one. sweet. rail line.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 21, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Spike, I just would prefer to think that this game is as addictive as I've found it to be, and that the crowds and atmospheres they're creating only work to mulitply that. I do think if you took a friend or two to a DCU game, on a night where they play well and the Supporters Groups are rocking, they'd be hooked for the same reasons. Same thing with national team games. I mean, I was in before I went to US-Argentina (I took a train from Atlanta to NY, you couldn't be out and do that), but I'll never be removed from this sport thanks to my experience at that game. So, I'll give the sport and it's fans the benefit of the doubt here.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

McBride out for 3 weeks?? Obviously, these announcers do not follow Soccer Insider, to their eternal discredit.

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

I blame their ignorance on the Italians.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

fischy:

While I agree that it was a close game, I thought DC was the better team on the field. Neither team created that much, but I think we edged it. In terms of possession, it wasn't even close, but in manufacturing chances it was a pretty narrow margin. Kocic did make a couple big saves, but he also left me nervous at least twice by coming off his line needlessly or at the wrong time (take your pick).

Oh, and you're right about Fred. He looked off tonight with his technique, and that's an attribute he can't afford to be missing. I also thought it was worth noting that, unlike the other USOC games, he didn't get himself into particularly dangerous spots (save for blocking McTavish's shot). It makes you wonder; he had a respectable game against Colorado, and now a couple days later he was a shadow of himself. Could he be tired? How old is his newborn?

Those angry about the lack of streaming video:

The game wasn't streamed online because the attempt to do that during the 3rd round game overloaded their bandwidth and crashed their internet for awhile. The Soccerplex just doesn't have the internet strength to deal with transmitting streaming video, multiple members of the press, and multiple streaming radio feeds.

If you want to get mad, get mad at the limits of technology, the Soccerplex, or their ISP. I don't think there was much DCU could do here, though making a statement on their website or BTB might have been a good idea.

***

With DiRaimondo's tackle, I think what bothers me more from a United perspective is that it was a foolish thing to do in the context of the game. DiRaimondo had just come on, and Atieno had just equalized. The game's on a knife's edge, and DiRaimondo hadn't gotten into the rhythm of the game yet. In those circumstances, you don't launch yourself into an all-or-nothing tackle. The reward of getting that ball is not worth the risk of giving away a free kick and a booking (possibly red) at that moment. If Okulaja had decided to send him off, we'd have been in dire straights.

Just like our other Open Cup games, this was not one to dwell on. Rochester, just like last year, were organized but pedestrian going forward. They've got 4 guys that could be respectable contributors on MLS back lines (one, loanee Ty Harden, already is), and they hold their shape. However, unlike the buzz about Shipalane in the previous round, there's no midfielder or forward worth a second glance.

We should breathe a sigh of relief, but at the same time we were the better team over 90 minutes, just like we were against Ocean City and Harrisburg. The gap hasn't been as big as it should have been (due to wasted first half chances and some questionable second half decisions in every single game), but they always say good teams find ways to win these games, right? Job done.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 21, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you Jacob, it's just that the sounders fans on the website our talking trash about us and its really annoying, so im saying anything to bash them.

Posted by: spikeman | July 21, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

The Seattle pbp guy is just a tad bit of a homer...

Posted by: sitruc | July 22, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Was that goal onside?

Posted by: sitruc | July 22, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Jaqua ties it in the 89th. This has been a fun game, I'd be glad to watch 30 more minutes of it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 22, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

GOff's gamer is up:

Apparently, pictures may show that the injury to Kenton came on the landing... We don't have the pictures, but I'd be wondering if his awkward landing wasn't because he already had a broken/dislocated ankle....

@Chest -- no doubt that DCU was the better team. I wouldn't disagree, but they had trouble creating dangerous chances. If Atienno had been netter in front of the net, he might have had a hat-trick.

-----

I had a feeling it was only a matter of time before Seattle found the back of hte net.

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Was it an own goal?

Posted by: sitruc | July 22, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

I'd say yes to the onside question.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 22, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

I thought it was offside

Posted by: ssdesv | July 22, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: addick | July 22, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

That picture of Jaime captures one of a number of bizarre calls. Kenton went up and over Jaime's back. Jaime felt him and ducked. He didn't back into him. The contact was totally initiated by the Rhino player. But Okulaja called the foul on Moreno.

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Sounders goal in the 5th minute of stoppage, looked like Zackuani

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 22, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Stephen King makes it 2-1 Seattle in the first extra time period.

Posted by: sitruc | July 22, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

I still don't know why United passed up King in the draft.

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Yes, it was King.

And sometimes you have to wonder things like that (I still argue Billy Knight should be prosecuted for taking Marvin Williams over Chris Freaking Paul), but with how the draft class has worked out, I'm fine with it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 22, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

King was in the 2008 draft. DCU took Cordeiro in the 3rd rd, when King was still available. Of course, the Fire let King go in the expansion draft, but I still think he would have been a better pick than Cordeiro.

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

The PK was a legitimate call. I saw it from the beer garden 125 yards away. Yuengling sharpens the senses.

Fred's block of that goalbound shot was quite groanworthy. Not only did he block a shot that appeared to be on frame but he was flagged for offside.

DC did well with a relatively limited offense. Although Khumalo did line up as a-mid at kickoff the positions seemed very fluid. I though Soehn might pay the price for bringing off Moreno and Fred early only to see Rochester equalize. At that point DC had to build it's offense around Pontius, NSilu, Khumalo and not much else. It's good DC still had a sub available in Gomez. DC's goal was mostly a breakdown or misreading of a ball by Kenny Bertz who let a long pass bounce in front of him and over his head that Pontius was then able to run onto. His 1v1 shot was blocked by Vallow but Khumalo followed up the rebound with an angled shot from the right.

I didn't get a very good view (or wasn't playing close enough attention as the Yuengling was wearing off) on the injury to the Rochester player or Khumalo's collision with their keeper near the end of the game.

Fischy, I'm glad you had an easy drive it took us a full hour to get up GW Parkway from Key Bridge to Cabin John Bridge.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 22, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Well, look at my ignorance on display. That should be framed up somewhere for being such a good example of the definition of it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 22, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Seattle is now down a man.

Posted by: sitruc | July 22, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Talley Hall is an awesome name. Seems like it should be reserved for New England's U-14 back up goalie, Knighton.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 22, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

That's why Jacqua isn't with the national team these days...that was a sitter.

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

So, Seattle at DC in RFK on September 2nd.

I'm down.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 22, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

we can beat these Seattle chumps and Kasey Keller rocking his spandex pants

Posted by: diego_r | July 22, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

That's why Jacqua isn't with the national team these days...that was a sitter.

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

You mean one of the MANY reasons he's not with the national team these days. He shouldn't be/have been on the short list even for our GC roster. (Although Logan Pause and Colin Clark, average MLS players, somehow made the team)

Posted by: GoUnited | July 22, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Wow, do I hate sounders fans now.

Posted by: spikeman | July 22, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Good to see Ty Harden back to playing. Thought he was the only defensive positive during the first Beckham season where they were leaking goals left and right. Couldn't really blame him for wanting to retire after all of that, especially after what's come out of the book. Although I'm happy with the DCU win, I'm happy that a fellow American didn't hang 'em up entirely. Good to see.

Now... Bring on Seattle! Time to teach the newbies a lesson and ruin their winning any form of trophy, tournament, etc. in their, admittedly, so-far successful season.

Posted by: fcmuenchweiler | July 22, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

spike, I think most of them on that chat were literally 12 year olds, so I wouldn't sweat it.
Will Hurtado miss the final because of the red card?

@ Chest: I did actually contact a couple of folks at DCU about the lack of effort in getting some visual coverage of the game. They sent back a polite response. I figured all along that the "NEW" website would be a perfect platform for games like these. I guess we should DEMAND it next year after we repeat?

@JfATLish:Great time to come up. Can't promise the crowd will be that big, but maybe United will get wise and promote this thing a little better. Maybe the Sounders Buzz will help?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 22, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

@Joel -- Sorry about your drive. Glad to hear you had a fine view of the penalty. I was thinking Khumalo had to have hurt his wrist in the collision -- probably on landing -- but Goff's piece claims the goalie kicked the ball and that shattered Boyzzz's wrist. Didn't make sense to me, and I didn't see anything like that.

I also thought it was a bit curious to take off Jaime so early -- not even at 6o minutes. I realize we need him sharp for Saturday, though. I definitely think Gomez should have come on before Johnny D., though he did not have much impact on the game.

Overall, I'm thrilled to see them have another final @ RFK. Losing 2 players in consecutive weeks really hurts. Maybe Boyzzz will return before the end of the year. If not, the front office better get on the stick. They'll still have 2 roster slots to fill.

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

That was fun though, DadRyan.

On another note, can Boyzzz still play with a broken wrist? I would think so.

Posted by: spikeman | July 22, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

@spikeman -- It's a good question. Sounds like it was a bad break. If he can't catch himself when he falls, I don't see how he can play, but ya never know....

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

@spikeman -- why not? Josh Gros did it for like four years.

Posted by: HowdyDCU | July 22, 2009 6:30 AM | Report abuse

gotta learn how to fall like a cyclist... don't catch yourself with your hands... Roll baby, Roll!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 22, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

If skateboarders can skate with broken wrists and FMXers ride with busted up shoulders, I think Boyzzz can play in a cast.

I agree that it would be a great chance to come up (I love winning trophies), except that's our 3rd week of games for high school football, so my time is completely taken.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 22, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse