McBride Prognosis Worsens

You heard it here first: Instead of missing four to six weeks, Chicago star Brian McBride will be sidelined three to four months! Doctors made that determination after performing surgery on his shoulder today. The new timetable means he is likely to miss the rest of the regular season -- a devastating blow to the first-place Fire.

By Steve Goff  |  July 17, 2009; 7:19 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-Mexico TV Update
Next: Saturday Kickaround

Comments

torn on this, like I suspect many others are. I feel for the guy but sure don't want to face McBride in the playoffs.

off topic, Chelsea's practice tonight is open to the public. I know this because they hired hundreds -- well, at least dozens -- of folks to walk around the Bite of Seattle fest in Chelsea garb handing out flyers. players are going to suffer tomorrow: noon kickoff and the weather could hit 90 (that would be 36 to the eurosnobs). ;-)

Posted by: troy6 | July 17, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Devastating, indeed. Perhaps the main reason Blanco can be as defensively lazy for Chicago is because they usually out-possess their opponent. They can do this because McBride is so good at holding up the ball. Without him, or a reasonable replacement (sorry, Stefan Dimitrov), they're going to have to change how they approach attacking other teams at a fundamental level. Rolfe and Nyarko are dangerous players, but neither can hold the ball up. Both have speed, and Rolfe also likes to drop off the front line, face goal, and either run at people or combine with others.

Hamlett has in the past betrayed a certain defensive outlook to how he'd like to play. Before McBride arrived, Chicago often would be rather negative and focus on keeping a shutout, while hoping that either their opponent makes a mistake or Blanco/Rolfe would come up with some magic. I feel like this will be their approach, with the added wrinkle of early through balls or lobs over the back line for Nyarko to run onto. They'll still be pretty good, but I am optimistic that we just got a touch closer to home field advantage.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 17, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

When did Walter Cronkite die?

Posted by: sitruc | July 17, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe that I'm wishing a Fire player a speedy recovery... but oh well. Get healthy, Brian! My only fear is that this late in his playing days the injury could be carreer threatening.

Posted by: freeholdsouth | July 17, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

This man has more metal in his face than muscle, more goals in England than any American, and worse injuries that he has walked back on the field after than any player I can name.

He'll be back. To say this man is lion hearted sadly doesn't cover it.

Only plus? Die hard fans can focus their attention on supporting the forwards who aren't retired from the national team. Come on, folks. He was never coming back.

But to MLS? The doctors don't have a sedative that strong.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 17, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

It really is a big loss for MLS -- the Blanco-McBride combination was something special to watch. I'm sure it's rough on Brian, too -- really disappointing. Here's hoping he can return next year. The league needs players of his caliber.

On the other hand, as I posted earlier, this is a big boost to United's hopes of winning the East regular-season title. I thought Chicago was the odds-on favorite. Right now, with the moves it appears United is making to bolster the club, I think it's even odds between them and the Crew.

Posted by: fischy | July 17, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Totally off topic but Tino and Holden had some fun with Eagles kicker David Akers:

Tino should definitely stay away from the pipes, but he might be able to help the Redskins out this season.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | July 17, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

You know, I really don't wish injury on anyone but, in this case I so wish it was Blanco instead. While it may really "special" to see what him and Brian "can do" is cool and all, I'm actually nauseated by watching one of the greatest US players ever lower himself to the depths of playing with the physical manifestation of the dirt that lies under dog sh*T. Blanco is garbage, while people hate on Beckham I really can't wait for Blanco to be gone. He gonna be at Azteca in August?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

may be really "special"

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

So he's likely played a lot of the season with this, but they tried to squeeze in surgery so that he had time to get back for late season and the playoffs . . but now are going to lose him?

Hmm. Sounds like someone's got some 'splainin to do.

Posted by: delantero | July 17, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

soccerfan80:

That was one of the coolest clips I've seen. Fascinating. (not even kidding, great experiment).

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 17, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I watched that the other day, soccerfan80. The thought Holden or Tino leaving soccer for the league minimum of about $300,000 in the NFL crossed my mind.

Posted by: sitruc | July 17, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I said it before, there goes my fantasy team. Time to trade up to Donovan.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | July 17, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

What could they have seen interoperatively that they wouldn't have seen on a MRI? The only thing I could think of they could have done to have him out that long is a reconstruction. Should have seen that on the MRI.

Posted by: bdwooton | July 17, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Of course, after kicking practice with David Akers, Santino and Holden will now sky every shot ten yards over the goal and run around like idiots waiting for 3 points to be added to the score!

Posted by: b18bolo | July 17, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I can picture a soccer player as tuff as McBride downplaying a shoulder injury for many years. He is the Brett Favre of US Soccer!
;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

JkR, throwin, you guys are flippin' gamblers captainin' Landon!
Who are your keepers? Ever Captn. em? Can't say I've paid enough attention, but I was blown away by everyone's points in the first Argy Bargy game of the weekend! Ha!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse