MLS News & WPS Video

*Following up on reports that Bristol City is interested in FC Dallas star Kenny Cooper, the Insider is getting word that 1860 Munich was rebuffed by MLS for a loan or outright purchase. Not sure of the financial offer.

*The Galaxy-AC Milan friendly Sunday evening at Home Depot Center is now completely sold out following the purchase of standing-room-only tickets made available this week. No live national TV, but the match will be shown on tape Monday night on Fox Soccer Channel.

*Red Bulls defender Carlos Mendes (11 starts) is out for the year with a hip injury. As expected, New York acquired midfielder Ernst Obster, 25, from Red Bull Salzburg.

Video from the Washington Freedom's 4-4 tie at Sky Blue:

By Steve Goff  |  July 17, 2009; 10:25 AM ET
Categories:  Freedom , MLS , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Red Bulls Wreckage
Next: D.C. United News & Notes

Comments

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 17, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Soccer on TV Steve, I've noticed that The Sounders have stepped up big time and are offering a live feed of their Open Cup semi next week on their website. Any news that DCU is following suit as it seems USLlive isn't going to broadcast our semi? I don't buy the argument that the Plex isn't equipped to provide a live feed. After witnessing Toronto bringing in their gear for the Carolina Challenge Cup, DCU not making any effort, or Comcast not making any effort to broadcast the semifinal is ridiculous.

Do you have any inside information, or suggestion other than "be there" for folks who REALLY want to see the Rochester/DCU match?
Thanks.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Maybe MLS should mandate that the Red Bulls be dissolved, that their players be available for a free transfer to whatever team will have them, but that first dibbs goes to the New York expansion side.

Basically, I think it is pretty clear that even an expansion team can, and will, beat this atrocious organization that deserves to be relegated. It doesn't matter who the coach is, who they star, or whatever strategy switch is needed.

It needs to be put out of it's misery. I know they made it to MLS cup last year, but even Newcastle fell apart when it was clear it was nothing but cancer. Why not Red Bulls? Even the name screams for it!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 17, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Thanks.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 10:36 AM
-------------------------------------------

I just seconded this request in the previous thread. As I pointed out there, FSC has broadcast from the 'Plex. What does a Webcast require, over and above what a regular TV broadcast requires? (A good Internet connection, obviously, but presumably that already exists for the benefit of everyone in the press box.)

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 17, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan

I think your question should be sent to DC United directly, possibly via their "blog": http://www.behindthebadge.com/

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 17, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

For once they really were Sky Blue, rather than Sky Orange.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 17, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Cooper.

Posted by: nairbsod | July 17, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Will Beckham be playing 45 minutes for each side?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 17, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Will Beckham be playing 45 minutes for each side?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 17, 2009 11:11 AM
--------------------------------

Zing! Hahaha.

Posted by: crynyd | July 17, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I sent Kyle Sheldon a message on facebook. He's always been cool about responding. Don't know why I didn't think to holler at him earlier... I guess I'll hit up BTB as well. Good call BH4Gomez.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

there were a couple bad goals in that Freedom game, including the late, game-tying goal. but the 2nd goal scored by Sky Blue was a really nice back heel out of the air (don't think i'd ever seen that before) - a good "goal of the year" candidate. DeVanna's gets credit for her nicely timed run that led to her 2nd goal as well.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 17, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"Will Beckham be playing 45 minutes for each side?"

i think they should play 10 v 10 and put Beckham out there as "permanent offense" like a playground (Am.) football game. of course, that means he would actually have to run from end to end since he would be trying to score for both teams. where is the cloning technology when we need it???

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 17, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Might be interesting to put Beckham in a pinnie as a neutral and see what kind of passes he could make to Galaxy and Milan attackers.

More interesting than Galaxy/Milan anyway.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 17, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

dadryan...

I think the question is perfect for the Namoff question answer session at 1:00... While it might not be the best forum for that q.. It will let them know what the fans want..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 17, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I got a reply from Doug Hicks and Kyle. I'm going to post it on the next thread. Can't say I didn't try, but the good news is that they've supposedly reduced the ticket prices for the match. Too bad I probably still won't be able to afford going....ugh.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

hear hear on the calls for s stream from the Soccerplex....I'll be out of town and would love to watch. AND I done my part by attending the previous two USOC games at the plex.

Posted by: mbetka23 | July 17, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse