MLS's First XI All-Stars

And the winners are.....

Goalkeeper: Kasey Keller (Seattle).
Defenders: Chad Marshall (Columbus), Wilman Conde (Chicago), Geoff Cameron (Houston).
Midfielders: Guillermo Barros Schelotto (Columbus), Stuart Holden (Houston), Freddie Ljungberg (Seattle), Shalrie Joseph (New England), Dwayne De Rosario (Toronto).
Forwards: Conor Casey (Colorado), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles).

The MLSers will face Tim Howard and English Premier League club Everton on July 29 at Rio Tinto Stadium outside Salt Lake City (9:30 p.m., ET; ESPN2, Telefutura).

Fans, coaches/general managers, players and media were given equal say in the selection process. The First XI players won't necessarily start in the All-Star Game. Of the remaining seven roster slots, all-star coach Dominic Kinnear of Houston will choose five players and Commissioner Don Garber will make two picks next week.

D.C. United has a CONCACAF Champions League match the day before the All-Star Game, Toronto has one on the day of the match, and the New York Red Bulls have one the day after. So don't expect any of their players to actually be in SLC for the Everton meeting.

What do you think of the First XI selections?

By Steve Goff  |  July 13, 2009; 3:45 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United News & Notes
Next: Summer Soccer Reading

Comments

No Tino.
No Pontius.
Nobody in D.C. cares.

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | July 13, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Very disappointed Tino wasn't in that 11, but I guess I'd rather have him playing in the Champions League game.

Posted by: kris77 | July 13, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peridigm | July 13, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

very happy with the choices.

I had no interest in any DC player, playing a meaningless useless game (that's what the DC v Real Madrid match is for)

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 13, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I didn't vote this year-- for the reasons others have pointed out in the past. This is a meaningless game and I'd rather United players be available for the Champions league.

Posted by: jmingus | July 13, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Count me among those glad to see no DC players among the starters. Although the recognition would be nice.

The 4 players who, in my opinion, should have been locks for the starting XI all made it: Keller, Joseph, Barros Schelotto and Donovan. And I have no problem with any of the others. Ljungberg is a bit of a stretch but with the cyber-stuffing from Seattle fans they needed to be thrown a bone besides just Kasey Keller.

Toss in some of the better Salt Lake players like Beckerman, Findley and Morales to get the home fans excited.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 13, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Dunno how or whether this would work, but MLS needs to schedule the All-Star Game sometime when there's no international soccer -- be it club or country. And clearly, the date would have to be a lot more fluid, depending on the year (WC qualifying, SuperLiga, CCL, etc).

It's probably impossible, I know, but...

Posted by: Juan-John | July 13, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

post season would be a great time to schedule the all star - similar to nfl's pro-bowl...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 13, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The All-Star Game remains and will always be a joke. When will they ditch this meaningless exhibition? Is it going to take a player or two getting seriously injured first?

Posted by: AtlantaMLS | July 13, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Tino and Pontius should be "selected" so that the boys get their performance bonus. They just won't play in the game and their slots will be taken by someone else.

Posted by: Golden_Child | July 13, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I concur, who cares if we especially have a game already.

Posted by: godpere | July 13, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

the all-star game is a waste of time. Do you think Garber will pick Beckham with one of his selections?

Posted by: fedssocr | July 13, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather watch Milan v America.

Posted by: Reignking | July 13, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Whatcha wanna bet Garber selects Beckham?

Posted by: ChelseaMatt | July 13, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Count me among the following groups:
-Those who are happy to see nobody from the Black-and-Red involved in this travishammockery.
-Those who think the aforementioned travishammockery should be moved to a less congested part of the schedule. I would say after the season, but do we really want a snow-covered ASG?
-Those who are tired of the game being against a club in their preseason - let's do North America vs. the World or something to keep it interesting.

Posted by: TheAMT | July 13, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Why should Quaranta be in the First 11 (I hate roman numerals, they remind me of the pompous NFL) or even an All-Star at all? I love Tino as much as any DCU fan, but come on, he has been pretty average compared to others who play his position across the league. There are plenty of players who deserve being on the AS team ahead of him.

And Pontius? Yeah, he is pretty good for a rookie. But is he tearing up the league? Hardly. I can see him maybe as a Commissioners pick but wouldn't be surprised if he does ot get picked at all. Which is fine, keeps him fresh for real games.

Posted by: Ron16 | July 13, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

The only United player I would think is worthy of an All-Star selection is Bryan Namoff. I'm sure he didn't scoop up many fan votes, but I'd be interested to learn how he did in the players' and coaches' votes. I like him better than Conde. As impressive as Cameron has been in his first season as a defender, I think Namoff probably has been a lot better.

Posted by: fischy | July 13, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

What Red Bull player could possibly have that conflict?

Posted by: Jooseppi | July 13, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Tino and Pontius would enjoy the perks of being selected (namely the fat bonus check that's probably hefty percentage of what their current salary is).

Posted by: psps23 | July 13, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

And by "fat" I mean proportionally.

Posted by: psps23 | July 13, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

i agree that the nfl's probowl is the only 'all-star game'... shouldn't an 'all-star' be based on an entire season? and while we're at it, i'm fine with fan voting to a certain extent, but, the best players aren't always the most marketable players and that's who gets voted into these games, these marketable players -- be it nba, mlb, mls, nhl... the majority vote for all-stars should lie with the players themselves...

Posted by: poopoobigelow | July 13, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to those who were selected.

I'll watch the match. To spurn the ASG just because someone from DC (or whatever team you support) was not selected comes off as rather silly to me. This is our league and I'll support it through thick and thin, even when it sometimes calls for watching a super-hyped and ultra-glorified friendly against an out-of-season team. (Please no more confetti).

Even if DC payers were selected, they would have never played as we have a CCL match schedeuled close to the super friendly.

For me the ASG is just another American invention to squeeze a few more greenbacks outta fans during the (ever so small) mid-season break or post season as the case may be in other American sports.

Posted by: Kosh2 | July 13, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, more of our players need to suck so that one can stand out more. Jakovic should have got it over Conde, who has been underwhelming this year.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 13, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: poopoobigelow | July 13, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

This has irked me for years. We name both All-Stars and an MLS Best XI at the end of the season. What the hell is the point of that?

I say ditch the whole game. If I were a player or club controlling my player's contract, I would decline playing in the All-Star game AND SuperLiga. The league and Cup should be the only concerns right now.

Posted by: AtlantaMLS | July 13, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

OT: Highlights of Chicago womens game.

Cristiane hat trick plus a back flip. She would have had 5 goals but Barnhart stoned her twice 1v1 from point blank range.

The third goal is the best.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 13, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

All-Star games should be allstars not the guy having the "best" year.
What is an all-star? The fan favorite, media darling, guy you see all the time. This stuff about the best year is reserved for awards at the end of the year.
Let's let the all-star game be for the "stars."
That said, I don't rhink MLS should have a game. It is pandering to the audisnce that mostly doesn't care, watch, attend, etc.

Posted by: googlio | July 13, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Kiss and make up!

David Beckham has resolved his issues with Landon Donovan, saying he recently had a good conversation with his Los Angeles Galaxy teammate.

Posted by: Reignking | July 13, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Ron16:

We must have vastly differing evaluations of a) Quaranta's play and/or b) what's happening around the league, because I don't see "plenty" of players that have done better in a similar spot. I can think of three that I wouldn't immediately laugh off: DeRosario, Ljungberg, and Alvarez. DeRo is the most similar to Quaranta, in that he has played on the right, on the left, and up front. To me, they've been pretty close. DeRo's the bigger MLS star, but I think at this point their seasons, while different, are of similar merit. Ljungberg has been good, but thus far in the season I'd say he's a small step behind. Alvarez is too hit-or-miss, so I'd put him in a rather distant 4th.

As for my first point, I think it's been plain to see that Quaranta has been our most creative player this season so far. I'm not saying he's as crafty as Moreno or Gomez, but in terms of consistently creating chances, he's been our best. If his finishing had been better, I think it would be hard to argue for anyone other than him as our team MVP to this point.

fischy:

I think Namoff has been strong, but I still am of the thinking that his performance since his spectacular opening 6-8 games has been much more around his average level of play (meaning solid, reliable, but not spectacular). Part of the problem is that it's hard to compare Namoff when everyone else is playing a back four.

Personally, I think Namoff might have a shot at one of the 32 obligatory all star bonuses the league has to give out due to the CBA. However, I don't think he, or any of our defensive players, has a shout at the actual all star game. There are just too many players ahead of them, both on reputation (Chad Marshall, for example) and in reality.

Jooseppi:

Angel could get in just for being Angel. It's MLS, that kind of thing happens all the time.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 13, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm disappointed there aren't more Houston players in the list. That means DC fans fell down on the job again.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | July 13, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

@ christopher_a_metzler

Dont be surprised if there is more on the roster. Think back at 2005 when Nowak was coach of the Allstars and how DC United beat Chelsea at the Allstar game.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 13, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I am really glad the non of the dc players are in it. I didn't vote, i won't vote. It simply is rubbish thing. Leave it to the american sports.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 13, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather watch Milan v America.

Posted by: Reignking | July 13, 2009 4:31 PM |

I'd rather watch Hinckley United v. Vauxhall Motors.

Posted by: griffin1108 | July 13, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I still love the idea I heard years ago, maybe back on a Screaming Eagles listserv pre-Big Soccer -- get your 32 (or what have you) best, select two captains, and let them pick up the teams. Maybe even on-field before the game. Instead of trying to make the connection to the EPL, make the connection back to the sandlot. That should at least put some fun in it.

Posted by: scott53 | July 13, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope like h that Garber does not choose Beckham. I would hope that the league will wean themselves from him. transfer him out and never worry about him again.

Posted by: rsundholm | July 13, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

A keeper who was given a red card for handling the ball outside of his box is an "All Star"?

Anyone got a link to a video clip of Waibel bouncing the ball off of the Swedes head on Saturday night? Ha, Ha!,Ha!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 13, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I agree that namoff deserves a spot. He is getting old and deserves to play on the team for his contributions to the american game. The all-star game is pure fun anyhow. Everton will prob leave their good players at home and take the loss. Thats what usually happens. Not to mention we are in the middle of our season, while Everton is prob playing their first pre-season game. If we dont win will be surprised and refrain from calling my self an mls fan :)

Posted by: g3impreza | July 14, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse