Mmmm, Burgers

From footballshirtculture.com, Spanish club Getafe models its new kits. Cheese with your order?
getafe-09-10-joma-kits-4.jpg

getafe-09-10-joma-kits-2.jpg

By Steve Goff  |  July 21, 2009; 10:35 AM ET
Categories:  Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Kickaround
Next: A Few Minutes With Dejan Jakovic

Comments

That's so Third Division. Ugh.

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | July 21, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

the Junkies were talkin abuot that yesterday, and I really couldn't picture how it worked. Pretty clever marketing, though I didn't know the King was big in Spain.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 21, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Do they really have the King's face on the inside or is that a joke?

Posted by: Golden_Child | July 21, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The underside King face is a brilliant idea. THAT is the future of sports marketing.

Posted by: M__N | July 21, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Good to see this kind of clever marketing Getafe the ground.

Posted by: the_slammer | July 21, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Is Juan Carlos for or against this?

Goff any more news about who will be available for tonight's Open Cup game? I know Simms is out, Tino is with the Gold Cup and Jakovic is supposed to be resting but what about Szetela's paperwork? And what about DC's old warhorses who played Saturday like Moreno, Olsen and Emilio (he seemed to be cramping up at the end of the game)?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 21, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I don't like the multi-colored swipe stripe thing, at least not the way it's done, but overall I enjoy it.

At first the King face thing threw me, but by the time I've looked at it enough to comment on it, I like it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Getafe: Where taste really isn't on the menu.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 21, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I thought Getafe only had duck?

Posted by: Jooseppi | July 21, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

great, now I am hungry.

The guy in red looks embarrassed.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 21, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

The club is very blue-collar, so that part makes sense...

I can't recall one Burger King when I lived in Spain -- but I wasn't looking, either. They did have the McRib at McDonalds, though -- Spain loves pork. Chomp.

Posted by: Reignking | July 21, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

How about an Enzyte shirt with Smilin Bob on the inside? For scoring celebrations.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 21, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

This means war!!! Surely. McDs is hastily arranging a shirt sponsorship....

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@ OWNTF - everyone is going for the laughs with this thread, but you are in another league!

Posted by: Golden_Child | July 21, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Does this mean the next Conor Casey goal ends with us looking at the hamburglar?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Hey, good idea for lunch!

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | July 21, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

There needs to be a poll in the matchnight thread asking if we had Burger King for lunch or dinner.

I'm fairly certain I'm headed out to get some in half an hour.

Dang you marketing.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Wow, that looks awful.

Although I agree images on the underside are a clever addition.

I think it's ridiculous that sports teams accept sponsorship $$ from unhealthy products such as Coca-Cola, McDonald's, Burger King, Red Bull. And yeah I know I'm in the minority.

Posted by: Pedalada | July 21, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Steve,

I don't doubt for a second that you haven't attempted to make this connection, but I'm sure most people on here would love a story or post - any information - on Onyewu's move to Milan.

How much interaction has he had with Leonardo and the club now that it's here in the states? When will he officially join up with the tour this week (if at all) due to the Mexico match on August 12? What are his thoughts and expectations?

I'm sure you're hard at work on this - hopefully we will read something soon about it!

Thanks.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | July 21, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Maybe MLS should have Burger King as a sponsor, so that the players on developmental contracts can go from training to their second job without changing clothes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 21, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

VBB, he joined the team here in Atlanta, won't be playing tomorrow, should be in Baltimore, and will be with them until call ups for the next international match day.

And I don't mind who they have as sponsors, as long as they're making money. Business is business, baby.

Can you tell I didn't have to work today?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Let me be the first to congratulate the_slammer for the most excellent word play.

Posted by: DemonJuice | July 21, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

@JacobfromAtlanta-ish,

Thanks! Miffed that they're haven't been many stories on his arrival on their website. Anyone with links elsewhere, please send them my direction!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | July 21, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I remember people who used to complain about MLS teams not having sponsors on the front the jerseys. They said it made us look Micky Mouse. That cracks me up.

Posted by: georgejones5 | July 21, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Kenny Mayne takes on know-nothing American fans... http://soccernet.espn.go.com/index?cc=5901

Posted by: inzzo79 | July 21, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Kenny Mayne takes on the ESPN demographic.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 21, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

There's got to be a Pulp Fiction dialog joke that's appropriate here.

Posted by: gooner71 | July 21, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I have nightmares prominently featuring "the King" - this doesn't help much in that department

Posted by: diego_r | July 21, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

10 creepiest fast food mascots - you can guess who the King of this list is: http://www.fanpop.com/spots/legendary-ads/articles/56/title/top-10-creepiest-fast-food-mascots

Posted by: diego_r | July 21, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

If you need a laugh

watch the vid

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 21, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Can a jersey get a team relegated? Only if it's players don't want to be in it for more than 10 sec (dude in red looks like he's had his on for exactly 10.00256 sec).

These kits would have just been bland if it were not for the "psychedelic accent grave" above the logo. Talk about plain to nasty in 60 sec. Who gets paid to make these types of calls? The face in the jersey...wow, just...wow.

Posted by: Kosh2 | July 21, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

What up WashDips!?! Nice to see you around, playah...

Anyways, I don't know about you guys but I personally prefer the fries at Mickey D's.

Any body tried their new angus steak burgers yet? Just curious. The pics of them look tasty...

Posted by: yankiboy | July 21, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the hardcore vegan crowd is going to protest at their matches now or if the enviromentalists are going to worry about the resulting greenhouse gas effects of all of those cows grazing and burgers being consumed...

Posted by: yankiboy | July 21, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

BK fries cool faster and aren't good and crispy when not hot. McDonald's fries are normally more consistent. The new McD Angus burger is pretty good for what it is. It's much better than whatever it is they normally call a burger. I've had a few.

Posted by: sitruc | July 21, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

@sitruc: Thanks for the feedback.

Posted by: yankiboy | July 21, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't know which is more appetizing, "waking up with the king" in your bed, or having his head be a center piece in your goal celebration.

Honestly, probably the most distasteful mascot ever created. A big plastic dude with a creapy smile sneaking around your house.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 21, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I wonder whose picture is inside the shorts?

Oh come on! I can't be the only one thinking that.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 21, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh, by the way ... BGR Joint (soon in Old Town and Dupont Circle) pwns all.

Posted by: bs2004 | July 21, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

They dont look too happy.

Posted by: TheJim1 | July 21, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Go back the other way I want to eat at Dick's!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse