Monday Kickaround

After a week away, let me try to get caught up.....

*MLS will unveil the All-Star Game's First XI around 3 p.m. ET today. (Let's see which city had the best ballot-stuffing campaign.) The remaining seven slots will be announced next week. Thanks to the collective bargaining agreement, however, a total of 32 players receive all-star bonuses/considerations when the league does not use an East-vs.-West format. The MLS select squad will face Everton on July 29 in Salt Lake City.

*The reigning MLS Cup champion Columbus Crew will visit the White House today.

*Marketing, business and security representatives for Real Madrid joined promotional partners Multimedia Sports (based in Barcelona, of all places) and Smash Soccer in recent days in inspecting BMO Field and FedEx Field ahead of the club's friendlies next month. To get you in the mood for the D.C. United match with Real on Aug. 9, Comcast SportsNet will show encore presentations of DCU international matches at 7 p.m. all week: Leeds (1997) on Monday; Bayer Leverkusen (2001) on Tuesday; Chelsea (2005) on Wednesday; Celtic (2006) on Thursday; and Real Madrid (2006) on Friday.

*As expected, Firpo has been invited to replace Chalatenango as the Salvadoran representative that will face DCU in the preliminary stage of the CONCACAF Champions League, starting July 28 at RFK Stadium.

*Wednesday is the deadline to submit a bid to host the U.S. Open Cup championship game Sept. 2. The USSF is expected to announce the possible sites, based on game matchups, sometime before next Tuesday's semifinals (Rochester at DCU and Houston at Seattle).

*English club Crystal Palace, which arrived in Maryland on Saturday to begin offseason workouts, will play its USL2 affiliate, Crystal Palace Baltimore, at 8 p.m. tonight at Regency Furniture Stadium, a minor league baseball park in Waldorf, Md. Tickets are $14. Palace will visit the Harrisburg City Islanders on Thursday.

*Alex Yannis, who covered soccer from the NASL to MLS for the New York Times, is this year's media inductee into the National Soccer Hall of Fame. He will be honored Aug. 2 along with former players Jeff Agoos and Joy Fawcett.

*Seattle defender Patrick Ianni's second career league goal in 44 appearances was a gem, a bicycle kick to beat Houston, his former club:

By Steve Goff  |  July 13, 2009; 5:35 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , D.C. United , MLS , U.S. Open Cup , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gold Cup Quarterfinals Set
Next: D.C. United News & Notes

Comments

All Star game should go back to East v West. An ASG should be fun 1st, competition 2nd. Besides, playing an out-of-shape, out-of-season European team is not the greatest soccer anyway.

Posted by: Ron16 | July 13, 2009 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16 | July 13, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

All star games are awful in all sports, IMO. At least playing a Euro team provides some intrigue. East v. West format? Zzzzzzzzz.

Posted by: cscarpaglia | July 13, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back Steve. No reality TV moments to report from this vacation? :)

Posted by: regularfan | July 13, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Firpo has a lot more fans than Chalatenango. That should make the United "home" leg atmosphere more like what we have grown used to when playing these sort of matches.

Posted by: yankiboy | July 13, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Um, who wants to bet that beyond the field at FedEx, they visited with the Danny Boy and asked him -

"So, should all our high priced acquisitions FAIL to bring us what we think they will, how do we still get fans to pay top dollar to come and then squeeze them for everything while they are here?"

If there was ever an owner who bought everyone and failed on-field and continued to make way too much money - it's the Danny.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | July 13, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I enjoy the 'traveling support' of these international matches, but I do wish DCU could somehow segregate the supporters. I don't like standing our own section 230 and being out numbered by the fans of the 'away team.'

Almost as bad as when they sell Papa John's 4 paks to newbies to sit in our section and commence to complain about the standing, the loose seat assignments, the language, etc...

Posted by: JkR- | July 13, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

VBB, very insightful. If it weren't for the salary cap, the Redskins would have a RM-like payroll. Danny boy is jealous of them!

Posted by: Reignking | July 13, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Steve,
Has television coverage for the Real Madrid friendly already been announced? ESPN?

I'm wondering if the "make up" match that Comcast "owes" us could possibly end up being the Real Madrid match.
What are the chances they cover the CCL match on the 28th? Seemed like they didn't announce the Telefutura coverage of the CCL until a handful of days before the tournament started last year.
Guess my question is what have you heard on CCL coverage, and any talk with Comcast about making up a game?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 13, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I promise -- no TdF comments today.

Posted by: Reignking | July 13, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Franco Niell leapt up high in the sky like an angry prairie dog to head in 2 goals for Gimnasia & Esgrima de La Plata yesterday. It was a very important game as it was a relegation playoff between upper division GELP and their lower div opponent (Atletica San Rafael or something).

GELP needed to win by 3 goals to avoid relegation and being replaced in the Primera A by their opponents.

The highlights were on Contacto Deportivo last night and might be on YouTube somewhere.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 13, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Anyone going to the Crystal Palace game tonight. Believe it or not this Northern Virginian is traveling all the way to Maryland for the match. I've heard they have good barbecue at the stadium.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 13, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Apparently the Franco Niell goals were even more exciting than I described as they were scored in the 89' and 90'.

And the opponent was Atletico Rafaela.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 13, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Please make sure to note the Harrisburg City Islanders versus Crystal Palace match is in Lancaster PA at Clipper Magazine Stadium. Tickets are $12. http://lancasterbarnstormers.com/

Posted by: lrg1231 | July 13, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Here's an article with a 5 minute YouTube clip including, at the end, Franco Niell's 2 late headed goals that saved Gimnasia & Esgrima from relegation:

No apto para cardiacos!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 13, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan

I believe I've seen the Madrid match advertised on FSC.

Posted by: the_slammer | July 13, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, any word on any players on trial with DCU?

Posted by: kris77 | July 13, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

You know you were a teenager in the DC area in the 80s when everytime you read "Waldorf" you hear the Greaseman saying it as "Waaaahhhlllllldorrrffffff?????"

And I didn't even like the Greaseman but if you grew up here you knew his schtick. It was just part of being a teenager in the 80s here.

Posted by: mercedeskk | July 13, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

That's true, mercedes. Waddle-doodle (actually, all I know of the Grease is from when Don & Mike would mock him).

Posted by: Reignking | July 13, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

TdF comments to resume after today's rest day?

Hobbable, hobbable, haaaaa. Somebody been usin' that thang, oh yeah, somebody been usin' that thang...

Posted by: EssEff | July 13, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

So when do we get to nominate Goff for the SHoF? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | July 13, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who laughed out loud when I saw "Canada" and "win" in the same discussion?

Oh, did someone say "Canada"?!

"If I had a million dollars (If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you a house (I would buy you a house)
If I had a million dollars (If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you furniture for your house
(Maybe a nice chesterfield or an ottoman)
If I had a million dollars(If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you a K-Car (a nice Reliant automobile)
If I had a million dollars I'd buy your love..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 13, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

interesting article on nytimes.com about the inaugural copa n.y.c (an ethnic communities soccer tournament styled after world cup, with 16 teams).

i bet the dc metro area could field some very strong teams... it would be really cool to have a similar tournament here, and then the winners of copa n.y.c. and copa d.c. (or whatever...) could meet to determine east-coast dominance! *ends idle dreaming*

Posted by: dfunkt | July 13, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

@Joel: "angry prairie dog" Good stuff. Your in a league of your own, a pure prairie league.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 13, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Waldorf? I used to live there.

@joedoc -- nice BNL call. I might have picked "One Week" or "Get in Line". (should I mention I have a cameo in a BNL video?)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 13, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Soccer is so bizarre sometimes. Niell, a player who basically was reduced to running hard and hoping it somehow panned out in MLS, not only does moderately well in Argentina, but scores the 2 goals that keep his club in the top division (which is better than MLS). Even more bizarre, both goals are headers despite Niell being approximately 3 feet tall.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 13, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Seattle's first goal in that game never crossed the line. And by "never crossed the line," I mean "not even a portion of it crossed the line, let alone all of it." It's not even rationally debatable. I'd be furious if I was Houston. Kinnear's going to get fined for complaining about it, but he's right.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | July 13, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

playing an average premiership team in our all-star game is embarrassing.

do east vs. west for christ's sake. who are you trying to fool, MLS?

Posted by: SadieV | July 13, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"The reigning MLS Cup champion Columbus Crew will visit the White House today."

Hopefully they were told that they have to stop at the Visitors Center first...

Posted by: jhorstma | July 13, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil

While I am not going tonight as my son is in soccer camp, I have spent time at the BlueCrabs stadium. They serve a lot of good food. [I would stay away from the crab pretzel though.]
Lots of variety, differnt choices at different stands, good beer and less than major league prices. I think you are in for a treat.
Let us know how it turns out for you.

Posted by: googlio | July 13, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Niell still had crazy hops. I remember a picture on Behind The Badge last year of him getting way up over some giant...? Columbus? Iro? Can't remember...

Seattle? I'll say it here, I hope that Houston can shut these toys down next Tuesday. They were robbed on Saturday night. I'd like to like the Sounders, but they are fast becoming the Chelsea of MLS.
Divers, whiners, and stuck up fans, who bought their way in.
I'd rather face a full strength Houston anywhere than a smoke and mirrors startup that is just getting lucky on their plastic field with stands filled with clones.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 13, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse