Moreno, Emilio Out

Greetings from RFK Stadium, where D.C. United just wrapped up a workout and is preparing to fly to Columbus for the 4th of July match against the Crew -- a game with first place at stake in the Eastern Conference. United is atop the division, but four other teams are within four points.

The news:

*As expected, forwards Jaime Moreno (hamstring) and Luciano Emilio (knee) are not traveling. Midfielder Fred, who has recovered from an adductor injury, is on the trip and says he's feelin' strong. As you know, midfielder-forward Santino Quaranta and defender Dejan Jakovic are away on international duty.

How would you like to see DCU line up tomorrow?

*With two senior roster openings, GM Dave Kasper said he is hoping to arrange player trials the week of July 13. "We are looking for cover in a number of spots. ... We're considering all of our options. A number of things could happen," such as the addition of a third goalkeeper, a developmental player upgraded to the senior roster, perhaps another central and left-side defender, etc.

*United was awarded hosting rights to the U.S. Open Cup semifinals, which means a quarterfinal victory over the USL2 Harrisburg City Islanders next Tuesday night at Maryland SoccerPlex will result in another trip to the Montgomery County complex July 21 to face the USL1 Rochester Rhinos or USL2 Wilmington (N.C.) Hammerheads.

MLS Tonight:
San Jose at Real Salt Lake, 10 p.m. (Direct Kick)

MLS Tomorrow:
DCU at Columbus, 7 (ESPN2)
Chicago at Colorado, 9 (Direct Kick)
New York at Dallas, 9 (Direct Kick)
Houston at Kansas City, 9 (Direct Kick)
New England at Los Angeles, 11 (Fox Soccer Channel)

By Steve Goff  |  July 3, 2009; 11:01 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Copa Libertadores
Next: Saturday Kickaround

Comments

---------Wicks-----------
Namoff--Janicki-Burch-John
--------Simms----------
Olsen------------Wallace-
-----Gomez--Fred------
------Pontius--------

Karazy hunh...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 3, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

can we sign Mphela, the South African who scored the wonder goal on a free kick in the third-place game?

Posted by: Pedalada | July 3, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Goff: Is it me or have you not started a string yet on the Becks/Landon cat fight in LA? If so, I can't believe it!

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 3, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I like this USOC home field strategy, by the way.

Posted by: Pedalada | July 3, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Sol Campbell is out of contract and considering his options.

Seriously -- does it have to be trialists? Think bigger, perhaps? Sign someone good, for a few months, to fill Crayton's roster slot. It's not a lot of money to start, but give 'em a mutual option that hands them Emilio's DP slot, next year.

Ah well...maybe there's some decent trialists out there, who can step right in and contribute.

Posted by: fischy | July 3, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I think we need in order:

1. LB
2. Young Striker
3. More depth to the midfield

I dont think we need another GK - Kocic is solid behind Wicks for now, so I would not bother unless we sign a academy player. We have some good money to spend -but we got to spend it wisely.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 3, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

SG, any word if one of those trialists will be Bob De Jong? I remember Kasper saying he'd be brought back in the summer.

The loss of Jakovic has me worried about playing a back three due to the overall lack of speed in the group of defenders that we can choose from. So far, the returns haven't been promising. I don't know if Janicki is very comfortable in the formation, and neither Burch nor John is playing strongly right now. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Soehn go to a back four again as a result. Here's something I'd think is worth trying, given Fred's return to fitness:

------- Gomez - Pontius
--------------- Fred
----- Wallace -- Olsen
-------------- Simms
Burch - John - Janicki - Namoff
--------------- Wicks

Same players as DadRyan, just slightly differently placed. Notice that I'm putting Wallace and Olsen in fairly central positions. I think we can jam Columbus up a bit, plus hide Olsen's lack of mobility, by playing a narrower diamond. Plus, if we need a stronger defensive presence centrally, we can have Olsen and Fred swap, with the midfield going to more of a flat four look. Fred's play earlier this season in the middle looked strong, and I think his livewire style will be a different look than Carroll and co. are used to defending out of midfield. Putting Gomez up front leaves him freedom to roam, and I think Pontius can handle the job of leading the line, given his energetic physical play and the fact that he has been a goal threat no matter where we put him. Have we ever had a player this versatile? I think we could put Party Boy in goal and be no worse off than using an MLS pool keeper.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 3, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

--------- Wicks -----------
Namoff -- Janicki -- Burch
---- Simms --- Jacobson (McTavish, perhaps?) -------
Olsen ------------ Wallace
--------- Gomez ---------
Pontius ---------- N'Silu

I watched the USOC highlight clip. N'Silu did more than I remembered. Maybe, it'll click on Saturday.

I'm guessing Fred is held out of the starting lineup, to use as sub. If Soehn would rather see Olsen in the middle, then I guess Barklage could get a look on the right wing.

Posted by: fischy | July 3, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

-------------Wicks--------
Namoff-----Janicki----Burch
-------Olsen-----Simms-----
Pontius------------Wallace-
---------Gomez-------------
---------------Boyzzz-----
---------N'Silu--------------

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | July 3, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Please sit John. We can't afford the risk. I like Pontius in the mid behind Boyzzz and N'Sulu. That's going to be some serious speed. There's a long way to go here with seeing how good Pontius is, but it's possible he could be an American born #10. Not many of those. Landycakes isn't going to play forever.

Posted by: dsheon1 | July 3, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 3, 2009 11:36 AM
__________________________________________

There is no single thread, but the new book by Grant Wahl has been discussed on this blog at least since Wednesday morning:

Posted by: universityandpark | July 3, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

==========Wicks==========

Namoff===Janicki===Burch

=====Simms====Olsen=====

Pontius===Fred===Wallace

=====N'Silu====Gomez====

I don't think I've mentioned this, but, Ange N'Silu is one of the coolest names I've heard in a while.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and, I don't know how you feel about Ives' site, but, I-270, this was made for you:

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

So another $25 gouge job by United at the SoccerPlex if they win on Tuesday? Maybe if they priced it reasonably, i.e. not more than the cheapest seat at RFK, they might do more than half fill the place.

Posted by: beach3 | July 3, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 12:04 PM |
***********************************

Yeah, I remember the Stones had an old song called "Ange".

This is the time of year when we have to rely on team depth like "Ange" and "Brown Sugar" Khumalo. But most teams rosters are stretched somewhat thin. Columbus will be missing Chad Marshall and Robbie Rogers for Gold Cup duty.

If I made my list correctly, San Jose is the only MLS team without Gold Cup callups, maybe it's not too late for Grenada to cap Darren Huckerby!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 3, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I'd go with one of either Dadryan or Chest's formations. Gomez, Pontius and Fred are our best attacking threats. Not that I feel great about saying that. Our two forwards are garbage, and should only be used to replace Fred and Gomez after they are tired (Gomez) or suck (Fred). I'm just hoping our defense can keep a clean sheet because our offense will be lucky to score off of the run of play.

Posted by: bighungry | July 3, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

-----------Wicks----------
--Namoff--Janicki--Burch--
------Simms-----Olsen-----
Khumalo------------Wallace
----------Gomez----------
----N'Silu-----Pontius---

Posted by: GoUnited | July 3, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Item on an American abroad, courtesy of Soccer America:

Posted by: universityandpark | July 3, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Was going to submit a line-up, but realized it was identical to Jacob's...great minds think alike.

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | July 3, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I thought Peterlin had already signed a deal. The fans in Salt Lake need to give a great send-off on the 30th for the new English heirs to Fulhamerica...if Dempsey makes the move, that'll be three Yanks with Everton.

Posted by: fischy | July 3, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of younger, uncapped Americans with international options, let's pressure Bradley to cap these two, at the senior level:

14-year old Jonathan Scherzer, who came over 4 years ago from Austria and has his eyes on a European professional career...and 13-year old Emerson Hyndman, grandson of FC Dallas coach Schellas Hyndman.

No more Rossis. We can beat Grenada with these kids on the field as late subs.

Posted by: fischy | July 3, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Wicks
Namoff-Janicki-Burch
Pontius-Olsen-Simms-Wallace
AM Barklage
CF's Gomez, N'Silu

We really don't have many options up top, and I liked Gomez when he played up top before.

As for those wanting four in the back, that means an experimental central midfielder, and John. After his Damarcus performance against Colorado, shouldn't see the field, even in desparate times.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 3, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

The key, of course, to having a chance to win or get a point tomorrow is to contain Schelotto. He is a technical master, but tends to have a short fuse in a physical game. I'd let Benny harass him and make sure that he always has someone in his shirt. Probably obvious, but we don't always respond as if the obvious is in front of us.

Posted by: bobango | July 3, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Here we go, on the road against a team who's always up when United comes to town:

--------------Wicks---------------
Namoff--McTavish--Janicki----Burch
----------Olsen---Simms-----------
Pontius--------------------Wallace
--------------Gomez---------------
-------------N'Silu---------------

Subs: Khumalo (for N'Silu around minute 65)
Barklage (for Gomez around 70)
Jacobson (for Olsen around 75)

Obviously that may change depending on the way the match is going, but really, the only other possible change would be John for Burch.

I know some may be sour on McTavish as a CB, but I don't feel he really did too poorly there last year, and honestly feel he was better than Burch there. I'd also prefer to see Burch play LB and make some overlapping runs with Wallace to swing in some crosses for Pontius and N'Silu.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 3, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Schelotto? Here's how you deal with Schelotto:

What you've got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of his leg......right at the bottom.

He'll never play soccer again......because his weight displacement goes back......all his weight is on his right foot......and he'll push everything off to the right.

He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game.

Posted by: fischy | July 3, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow, maybe a third keeper....I can hardly contain myself.

Posted by: Hoost | July 3, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Forget a third keeper. First priority for me is an attacker who can score. Emilio is streaky (and hurt); Moreno isn't that much of a goal scorer from the run of play anymore; N'Silu is third tier; and Khumalo has speed and nothing else. Pontius and Quaranta can score, but at least one of them has to play midfield and besides, Q is at the Gold Cup. As for Fred and Gomez, Fred looks great up until he has to shoot, and Gomez is more a setup man than a goal scorer. Yes, a left-side defender would be nice, but Wallace can do that if we get a decent forward which allows any two of Pontius, Fred, and Quaranta to play wing.

Posted by: b18bolo | July 3, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 3, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

-----------Wicks----------
--Namoff--Janicki--Burch--
------Simms-----Olsen-----
Khumalo------------Wallace
----------Gomez----------
----N'Silu-----Pontius---

Posted by: GoUnited | July 3, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse
/////// This is exactly what I was thinking

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 3, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Whomever we pick up, sign them with the intent that they'll be able to help next season and beyond.

Between our aging vets and an injured Olsen, this team will need some quality going forward.

Posted by: delantero | July 3, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------Wicks------------------------
Namoff-----Janicki-------McTavish-----Burch
--------------Simms----------Olsen---------------
Pontius------------------------------------Wallace
------------------Gomez------------------------------
----------------------------Khumalo-----------------

We really do need to get another striker. We shoulda kept Rod . . . joking.

Posted by: Konoha7 | July 3, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Forgot about Fred!

-------------------------Wicks------------------------
Namoff-----Janicki-------McTavish-----Burch
--------------Simms----------Olsen---------------
Fred-----------------------------------------Wallace
------------------Gomez------------------------------
------------------------------Pontius-----------------

Posted by: Konoha7 | July 3, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Schelotto? Here's how you deal with Schelotto:...

Posted by: fischy | July 3, 2009 2:37 PM

None too subtle, fischy.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | July 3, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad you're joking. The way we held onto that guy, you'd think he was... well, I don't know. Special as heck.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 3, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Michael Owen to Man United on a free transfer . . .

Posted by: delantero | July 3, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

"There. I guess King George will be able to read that."

- John Hancock

==============

Happy Independence Day, everyone.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 3, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Nothing against Owen and hope for the best this is a big joke. What on earth is going on here? Owen himself is shock. I am more than shock. This is club is degrading. WTF?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 3, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Not because he is not talented but because he so injury prone

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 3, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

$25 ticket price for the Open Cup game? I guess Kasper is trying to recoup that lost Gallardo money all at once. FYI, Charleston Battery will charge low of $10 and hight of $18 for their next Open Cup game at Blackbaud versus Houston.

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 3, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Anyone watching the Gold Cup?

Scoreless 26 minutes in at the HDC between Canada and Jamaica.

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to thank the ref for giving Jermaine Johnson of Jamaica a yellow card. It has been annoying seeing him dive on every play.

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I can play all positions, but I'm close to 50. I can still run with college kids, should I try out?

Posted by: Barracudas | July 3, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

For all those non-believer, Sir Stanley Mathews played in the highest division 'til his was a grandfather...

Posted by: Barracudas | July 3, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Sitruc - watching and enjoying. Some quality chances so far. Sorry to see Toronto recently signed Ali Gerba. He has looked pretty good and I wonder if he was on United's radar at all.

And another card for Jamaica- this ref isn't screwing around.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 3, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Good to know I'm not alone, dimesmakedollars. It is scoreless at half.

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Owen came at a bargain . . . free. Plus, he won't have to live up to the savior, next great English player on a team like United. Maybe he'll recover some form . .

What's the Gold Cup?

Posted by: delantero | July 3, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 3, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

We had far and away the most expensive ticket last round. Some teams had higher prices in their club seats, but had cheaper options. New England also moved their home game to a smaller ground and charged $13.

Kasper, et al are idiots for not trying to attract more people for these matches. I know someone with two kids who lives nearby and was appalled that it would cost him $75 to take them to see DC play an amateur team.

Posted by: beach3 | July 3, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

But Owen, when steps into the pitch, the other players will all step up the game against Man United and that makes him even more injury risk.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 3, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Know why I'm watching? Passion. These teams should be playing with it, it's their biggest tournament, and a trophy on the line, what's not to like?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Two other things: Ricketts is really good, and what's the promotion going on to make the crowd at the Braves-Nats game so good?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Canada somewhat unlucky not to hve scored, but Ricketts has been really good so far.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 3, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

DeRosario opted not to play - is he still mad at the CSA? Or does just put MLS above this tournament?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 3, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

The Jamaican team has been diving so much that even if they do get a penalty, it may not get called.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

since this is the most cultured soccer blog around, thought I'd contribute this quite amazing vocal performance (notably the first two minutes of the a capella thunderstorm): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjbpwlqp5Qw

Could the supporters groups do this on the RFK bleachers?

Posted by: Pedalada | July 3, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the salvadoran fans are starting to arrive for the late game. Stands are much fuller and bluer than before.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 3, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Canada finally breaks through in the 65th minute and leads 1-0

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

That was a great goal for the Hosers.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I meant 75th minute.

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

O Canada! Gerba with a beautiful first time volley.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 3, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Very strange one. It would have been more fun if they slap on their as....
There goes Gerba a goal

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 3, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

@Jacob- take off, eh!

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 3, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

goal for the Hosers.

"No use steering now . . . "

"Could the supporters groups do this on the RFK bleachers?"

Sing "Toto" by Africa? I can't do that, it offends me. Clap and sing in unison? Yeah, got that . .

Posted by: delantero | July 3, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Mexico has El Tri, Jamaica the Reggae Boyz, We're the Yanks, I'm assuming Canada goes by "The Hosers"

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

or Africa, by Toto. The 80's were so long ago, my memory fails me . .

Posted by: delantero | July 3, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

The key to Terry Vaughn's success is to not officiate MLS matches.

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Awesome way to start a game, spend 10 minutes picking up streamers

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

and the match already has a yellow.

Anyone watching Salt Lake-San Jose?

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

I am, and with two windows open on my computer, with each side by side, and the four teams wearing two sets of near exact same jerseys. Almost confusing.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Jorge Campos with a yellow in the 13th for a dive in the box

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

What has the HDC been hosting. Have they been getting rain out there? The field has spots all over where it doesn't look like dirt and worn and a strip about 5 yards wide that stretches the length of the field.

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

more culture - a soccer film festival in NYC: http://www.kickingandscreening.com/home.html

Posted by: Pedalada | July 3, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

So, whoever runs the feed for MLSnet, their kid totally just changed the channel to Rockies-Diamondbacks.

AWESOME!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else find it slightly confusing when the Gold Cup feed uses their own graphics and includes the game clock?

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Who turned channels at MLS HQ?

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I was using MLS as my secondary feed since it is normally behind the other feeds. Both have let me down.

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I swear, if this game goes to extra innings...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Both feeds are back to MLS.

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Goal El Salvador

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow, El Salvador's coach looks amazingly like a young, long haired Bill Murray. I mean, it's almost creepy.

RSL-San Jose still 0-0 in the 24th, and El Salvador just scored to go up 1-0 in the 20th at a recently renovated Estadio Cuscatlan.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Still at 0-0 in the 37 in Sandy, UT, and Bobby Convey suffers a hamstring injury, and has to get subbed out.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Convey had to come out of the match injured...

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I've had DCU season tickets since 1996, live 15 minutes from the SoccerPlex, and will choose EVERY TIME to watch DCU Open Cup matches on the web (or listen on the radio) rather than fork out $100 to take my family to a game against a minor league team. Ridiculous.

Note to WPS: Same issue. When my tickets for midfield lower deck at RFK are cheaper than yours for bleachers near the endline, it's easy to see why I'm not coming.

Posted by: dkorn | July 3, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Random thought just hit me:

Clint Dempsey got the Bronze Ball at the Confed Cup. This, as we all know, means he was the third best player at that tournament. Think about that. Cool, right? Now think about it like this: That means he was better than players like Fernando Torres, Robinho, Mohammed Zidan, Cesc Fabregas, Maicon, David Villa. He was better than those guys. Those 6 guys, in terms of combined market value transfer fees, are worth more than 4 or 5 MLS expansion franchises. Kinda puts how big an honor that was for him in perspective.

Also, SJ just had to make their second injury caused sub at the end of the first half.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Costa Rica off the post on a corner in the 42nd

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

San Jose players look like they want to get injured and not play.

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Great save by Costa Rica's keeper. That volley wasn't an easy shot. It would have been easier if the ball was played to him on the ground although that pass may have been slightly harder.

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

That was some fancy footwork there for the San Jose goal, and some sloppy tackling, and Arturo Alvarez puts the Quakes up 1-0 in the 63rd.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Goal Costa Rica!

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I went get a bowl of ice cream, how'd they do it?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Hernandez?

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Turning really ugly in Sandy
red to Espindola

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Espindola picks up a straight red in the 77th for a kick at McDonald of San Jose, minutes after McDonald got a yellow for a pushing and shoving and yelling match with Espindola. Definately getting chippy.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

McDonald was lucky not to get a second yellow and Espindola was just dumb as hell for that kick after his tackle. That could be a suspension.

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

That could be a suspension.

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 11:45 PM

I'd go so far as to say it should. That was the definition of intent to injure.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Is stuff being thrown on the field in Carson?

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Slowest goal ever in Sandy to tie things up.

El Salvador goes up 2-1.

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

RSL EQUALIZES IN THE 92nd!

Movssyian dribble takes a deflection. May be an own goal.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Now that some bafoon charged the pitch they are throwing stuff on the field.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

It's not pretty in Carson right now. A fan on the field is getting dragged off after trying to start some stuff. He's also getting pelted by stuff from the stands.

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

4min stoppage in LA?

Posted by: sitruc | July 4, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 4, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

4:32 stoppage and it is final
El Salvador wins 2-1

5:11 stoppage in the RSL-SJ tie

Posted by: sitruc | July 4, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

I gotta say, El Salvador earned those 3 points. Really well executed gameplan by them. They were all over the place, really looked like a bunch of Banshees running around out there.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 4, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

I hope Seattle has a good us crowd tommorow.

Posted by: Norteno4life | July 4, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

I've gotten to the point where I will never be worried about a good crowd in Seattle. I'd even be okay putting a Mexico game there.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 4, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 12:04 PM |
***********************************

Yeah, I remember the Stones had an old song called "Ange".

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 3, 2009 12:22 PM
_________________________________________

Here's another musical reference:

Posted by: universityandpark | July 4, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Btw sol cambell is at aresenal now i believe, either that or chelsea i forgot, its on espn.com/transfers/england. Anyhow i think another striker would be good. mphela, the guy from SA who took the free kick plays club ball internationally so he cant be had :). i would line them up like this:

-----Kocic------
namoff-janicki-john-burch
-------Olsen---------
fred---------wallace
------gomes---------
pontius---N'silu

we are on the road at columbus who won last week. I think we should be sitting back and playing D for the most part. A tie would be sufficient, a win would be better, a loss would be devastating. Specailly considering our last two performances. 3-0 loss to colorado, 2-0 win which came at the end, which most consider as DCU just scraping by a tier 2 team. DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE

Posted by: g3impreza | July 4, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | July 4, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I'd have greater faith in Seattle crowds if it is a double-header or Seattle fans get the match as part of their regular-season tickets.

Posted by: sitruc | July 4, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dkorn | July 3, 2009 10:46 PM
________________________________________________

The difference is that so far, the crowd has been close to capacity for every Freedom match. Then again, they haven't any midweek home games yet.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 4, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Jorge Campos with a yellow in the 13th for a dive in the box

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 10:21 PM
----------------------------------------------------

Jorge Campos? Really? I thought that name was taken. I have always sworn I played soccer on the beach with the original, in Acapulco, when he was a kid. Can't prove it, though.

Anyway -- If you buy a DC United ticket plan, you only pay $20 for the USOC. That said, it's still overpriced. I went alone last week, because I wasn't going to pay to take my g/f and her kids who wouldn't appreciate it. Not for another $60.

I go every year, to each game, but I grumble about the prices DCU charges for the USOC games. I took the g/f and kids once last year, and not doing it again. I promise you that DCU would make more money if they charged no more than $15-$18. But, it falls on deaf ears.

Posted by: fischy | July 4, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse