New York State of Mind

Let's get fired up for tonight's start of the Red Bulls' Champions League campaign -- their only hope to salvage a disastrous year -- with a few items to consider:

*Midfielder Khano Smith, acquired in preseason from Seattle for allocation money, appeared in eight league matches with six starts. He was waived today. Next up on the flank: Ernst Obster from Austria.

*According to my less-than-MIT math skills, if the Red Bulls were to win their final nine league matches and every other game in MLS ended in a tie (thus depriving teams of a full three points and awarding two overall), they still wouldn't make the playoffs.

The final standings would be.....

Eastern: Chicago 41, Columbus 40, DCU 39, New York 37, Toronto 36, New England 36, Kansas City 33.

Western: Houston 43, Seattle 41, Los Angeles 39, Colorado 39, Chivas USA 38, RSL 34, Dallas 28, San Jose 25.

The top threetwo in each conference are automatic for the playoffs, followed by the next twofour regardless of conference affiliation.

*Number of New York victories in 51 regular season matches in 2008-09: 12.

*Red Bulls' road record in MLS the past two seasons: 1-19-7 with 14 goals scored, 51 allowed.

Tonight's match against W Connection begins at 8 p.m. on Fox Soccer Channel and Galavision.

By Steve Goff  |  July 30, 2009; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: Friday Kickaround

Comments

Well, I like schadenfreude! Maybe I'll watch?

Posted by: KireDCU | July 30, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Yowza

Posted by: beergorila | July 30, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

This is no way to talk about the 2008 Western Conference Champions.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

haha...well done, Goff.

Posted by: AtlantaMLS | July 30, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Same old Metros

Posted by: HowdyDCU | July 30, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

always losing

Posted by: Norteno4life | July 30, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Pure evil from Goff. Me likey.

Posted by: juanma_carr | July 30, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Was Dubya Connection the guy who got Dubya into the National Guard, or the guy who scored Dubya's drugs while he was AWOL?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Since they are already eliminated from MLS playoff contention (I trust Goff's math skills) the Red Bulls are going to be the first MLS team to field a full-strength team in the CONCACAF Champion's League and a weakened side in their next MLS game.

Of course they will still lose both games anyway.

Posted by: Golden_Child | July 30, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind, due to his asylum status, Mac Kandji can't play tonight, as he is not allowed to leave the country. He can't even play in Toronto

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I love it when you get sassy Goffinho.

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | July 30, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I wish that for some perverse reason, FSC actually knew and released their audience numbers. What do you think, a dozen people watch that match tonight?

Posted by: Kev29 | July 30, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Red Bulls?

But I am le tired...

Posted by: mason08 | July 30, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking United ought to offer Mastodon Juan a free jersey and a ticket to the Open Cup final. They might get a shift of allegiance out of it.

Posted by: troy6 | July 30, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

What do you think, a dozen people watch that match tonight?
Posted by: Kev29
===============

Maybe more if one can get FSC in Trinidad.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

If the Red Bulls lose in the Meadowlands and no one is there to hear it, does it really happen?

Posted by: jermWV | July 30, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Not encouraging -- I didn't realize that DCU is really sitting on the bubble. We're outside the automatic berths. We're even with the Gals. Right now we've got one point over Colorado, and we've got two points over Chivas, and we've got 5 points over the Revs. But those teams still have one, two and three games in hand. A tie for Colorado, a win for Chivas, and two wins for NE...DCU will be outside looking in.

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

You know who doesn't really get enough credit?

Gol TV.

They have great games, excellent production value, and wonderful announcers, in both English and Spanish, including the guy that does the Bundesliga games.

As you were.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Same old Metros
Posted by: HowdyDCU

always losing
Posted by: Norteno4life

Awww, you guys just brought back warm memories of that NY fan getting taking away by the cops a few weeks ago @RFK! Thanks!!

Posted by: KireDCU | July 30, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

*Correction -- we're only one point ahead of Chivas. so they would leap-frog DC with two ties, and the Rapids need to win their game-in-hand to clearly leapfrog over DCU (actually one tie for each team might be enough to do it, because I think Chivas and Rapids may hold the tie-breaker edge).

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Jacob: and only $5/month in Atlanta.

Posted by: Reignking | July 30, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that too.

But, so is FSC and NFL and NBA and all the colleges. It really is a great 5 bucks.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

fischy:

That's true, but there is one thing to take heart from: our schedule down the stretch.

9/9 vs. Kansas City
9/12 vs. Seattle
9/27 vs. San Jose
10/3 vs. Chivas
10/17 vs. Columbus
10/24 @ Kansas City

That's 5 straight home games when we will need them most, coupled with one of the easiest road games you could ask for this season. Not only that, but there are 2 weekends off in there, so even if we get into the CCL, we'll get something approaching an adequate amount of rest. If we don't get into the CCL, I'd demand nothing less than 14 points from this stretch (4 wins, 2 draws).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 30, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I thought our NY friend MJ would have beaten me to this:

"Some folks like to get away
Take a holiday from the neighborhood
Hop a flight to Miami Beach or Hollywood.
I'm taking a Greyhound on the Hudson River Line-
I'm in a New York state of mind.

I've seen all the movie stars
In their fancy cars and their limousines
Been high in the Rockies under the evergreens
But I know what I'm needing and I don't want to waste more time-
I'm in a new york state of mind..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 30, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

This more mathematical approach:

has the Red Bulls with an 8 in 20,000,000 chance of making the playoffs still. They need to win all 9 remaining games.

Posted by: nick19 | July 30, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

This has to be the most dismal team I've ever come across. They have to be the worst advertisement ever.

And they're competing with Waking Up with the King, and the Palm Pre girl.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 30, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Off topic, but amusing ...

PFC Cherno More Varna inspected the Philips Stadium pitch, ahead of their UEFA Europa League third qualifying round first leg against PSV. A press conference was scheduled to take place after the training, but the meeting was cancelled when it appeared that no Dutch or Bulgarian media representatives had turned up.

Darn FSC, or I bet the same might have happened for the Red Bulls match tonight.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | July 30, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Exactly WHAT expectation is there that the Pink Cows would actually play well tonight, and not just continue to be a charlie-fox of a team?

Posted by: Juan-John | July 30, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I hate to rain on the parade, but having a dismal team in the nation's largest market is not good for the league. I want the team to suffer, but I want it to suffer in front of 20,000+ fans each week, and in its own ballpark.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 30, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

JoeDoc, it's not like MLS hasn't tried to help Jersey not suck. They're just cursed.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 30, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I am going to restate what I said earlier about dissolving the team, starting fresh as whatever the expeansion side was going to be, in the same stadium.

Why not? Too original to fail? (And by that, I mean original to the league. There is nothing original about a team named after an awful energy drink).

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 30, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Here's an idea, if DCU can't hammer out a stadium plan, maybe we could move to New Jersey? The Red Bulls could come down here and share Nats park with the rest of the bums.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

This is no way to talk about the 2008 Western Conference Champions.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2009 3:51 PM

Don't you mean the "2008 MLS Cup Participants"?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | July 30, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I believe FSC is followed by Nielsen now, Kev29. I don't recall if it was this year or the end of last year.

Posted by: sitruc | July 30, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

The only thing more fun than hating the Metros, is reading other people's articles making fun of them.

Posted by: Pete803 | July 30, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

goff you made me giddy

Posted by: Konoha7 | July 30, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Goff! What's going on in NY/NJ with the Sky Blue? Rumor mills are rampant but all we know for sure is Lindsay is gone and Rampone is player-coach effective immediately.

Posted by: YesMomStillPlaying | July 30, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Does the "W" stand for anything?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

the W is perhaps for the two brothers who founded the team [David John Williams and Patrick John Williams]

Posted by: emanon13 | July 30, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Not much, but there is an official press release about the Sky Blue coach situation

Posted by: emanon13 | July 30, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, emanon, that makes perfect sense.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1

You're not alone joedoc1, while I enjoy seeing NY/NJ suffer, there's no benefit to growing the sport in the US with a team sucking so terribly badly in the major media outlet that is is NY. Alas, same old Metros, always losing.

Posted by: KireDCU | July 30, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

how in the world did RBNY luck into getting the return leg at home? isn't that usually given to the better team?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 30, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Here is proof that FSC is tracked by Nielsen now. FSC got their highest rating ever for the Gold Cup final. It was higher than ESPN2, NFL Network, Spike TV and ESPN News programming at the time.

Posted by: sitruc | July 30, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I swear I had a link in my last post.
It shows up in preview...

Posted by: sitruc | July 30, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Of course WC is leading 1-0 right now. 40th minute

Posted by: sitruc | July 30, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

and Angel gets an "assist" . . .

Posted by: emanon13 | July 30, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Wait, someone actually uses preview?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Angel heads one right to the keeper. WC 1-0 RBNY heading for first half stoppage time.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 30, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Right now the "W" stands for Winning. 1-0 W Connection late in the first half.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | July 30, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

There is noooooobody at the X games, surprising to me. I'm serious, there may be 3,000 people. Maybe.

That said, Red Bull (surprisingly enough) looks horrifyingly bad. And at least they're getting to play in front of more fans than normal.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KireDCU

------------------------------

If you're talking about the US/Honduras match, I started the chant there, too :)

Posted by: HowdyDCU | July 30, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

NY actually scored against WC

1-1
48'
NY look like they were trying.

Posted by: sitruc | July 30, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

NYRB have now scored on the road as many times in the CCL as they have in MLS

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

NYRB have now scored on the road as many times in the CCL as they have in MLS

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish

============
assuming it isn't changed to be an own goal

Posted by: emanon13 | July 30, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

If NY wins is that an upset?

NY leads 2-1

Posted by: sitruc | July 30, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

The W. Connection keeper is going to go on a killing spree in the locker room.

Posted by: HowdyDCU | July 30, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Only when I'm using html, JacobfromAtlanta-ish. I always forget which blogs allow it.

There are many more people at MSG for the Mystics game than at the X Games.

Posted by: sitruc | July 30, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Ha

2-2

Posted by: sitruc | July 30, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Final
2-2

Posted by: sitruc | July 30, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Well that was pretty horrible.

Posted by: HowdyDCU | July 30, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

The RedBulls outperformed DC United by a country mile this workweek.

Well done.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 30, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Not to hate on Puma (the only casual shoe I wear anymore), but it's nice to see Nike step in as a concacaf sponsor. Really could relate better to more American fans.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Considering the away goals rule is in effect in the CCL this year, RBNY could lose at home and still advance, with that 2-2 tie in hand...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 30, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 30, 2009 10:46 PM |
-------------------------------------------------

Huh?!? Unless this is some new permutation of an away-goals rule, if NYRB loses at home, they're out. W-Connection would have more goals, and would win the series. Away-goals is a tiebreaker -- it doesn't trump total goals.

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Not to hate on Puma (the only casual shoe I wear anymore),
Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish
==============

I'll "hate on" Puma. Their WPS ad blows. The sound guy puts a cassette in the tape deck. A cassette. The editing should be choppier, quick cuts. That ad does not make me want to watch WPS.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen it, I-270, but it sounds as if they're riffing off "Napoleon Dynamite"....

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

How's this make you feel?
Pick out the stars...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Eh, it's not the advertising. WPS is simply unwatchable on it's own merit.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 30, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

@fischy, I don't know what I was thinking! das oops...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 30, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

In all fairness alecw81 I'd say the last two DCU matches were far more painful to watch, let alone read about than the Freedom match last night.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Cruz Azul beating Costa Rican side Hereiando or something 6-2 with 5 minutes left, on the road

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 30, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

"According to my less-than-MIT math skills"

And if the season ended today, only 3 Eastern teams would make the playoffs. DC is only 2 points above the early end to the season drop zone.

But I've only been to public school most my life, so I could be wrong.

Posted by: delantero | July 31, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Oh look - Goff taking more potshots at the Red Bulls.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: whoshotsam | July 31, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

So once the Union join MLS can we finally ignore the Red Bulls "rivalry".

Its hard to talk smack to a team with no fans, I think even Angel’s family were wearing W Connection tee-shirt jerseys.

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 31, 2009 3:22 AM | Report abuse

How can you not have anything to say about Bobby Robson's passing?

Posted by: whlewis | July 31, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Let me add to that last comment. Sure all of the commentary and discussion about MLS and WPS is interesting, but Robson was a massive figure in world soccer. Why no forum discussion on THAT?

Posted by: whlewis | July 31, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 30, 2009 8:33 PM
__________________________________________

Is there any seeding at this stage? If so, how could it be done meaningfully? Not only do these clubs not face off against each other under normal circumstances, they probably haven't had any mutual opponents in recent years.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 31, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

How can you not have anything to say about Bobby Robson's passing?

Posted by: whlewis | July 31, 2009 8:54 AM
__________________________________________

Because this thread was started Thursday at midafternoon, perhaps? See the next thread.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 31, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Does the fact that Steve Nichol got alot out of Khano Smith for so long indicate his coaching ability or his lack of options on the flank?

Posted by: ncguy | July 31, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse