Onyewu to Milan *Updated*

The big news of the day is obviously that U.S. national defender and Washington native Oguchi Onyewu has joined AC Milan on a three-year contract, according to the club, an absolutely huge move for Onyewu, and really for U.S. soccer.

Onyewu, the son of Nigerian immigrants, was born in Washington, raised in Silver Spring and Olney with his four siblings and came through Montgomery County's youth leagues. He played two seasons at Sherwood High School, enrolled in the U.S. under-17 residency program in Florida, returned home to graduate from Sherwood, then played two years at Clemson University before embarking on his European adventure.

Most recently, the 27-year-old Onyewu helped Standard Liege win consecutive Belgian league titles.

Onyewu becomes the first American international to join Serie A in 10 years.

U.S. training begins at 10 a.m. and certainly I will ask coach Bob Bradley his thoughts on the signing.

"It's very exciting," Coach Bob Bradley said. "It's one of the great clubs in the world and I think it's a terrific opportunity for him and certainly the experience that he'll get there I think will really be important as we move forward with our national team."

Said U.S. forward Charlie Davies: "It's incredible, I mean I'm really happy for him and I think it opens a lot of doors for Americans. And he was able to break that barrier for Americans to be able to play at a big-time club. I think a lot of guys coming up, younger guys, can have a dream that they can play for a team like Real Madrid or Barcelona because Gooch was able to break that barrier."

Here is a feature Goff wrote on Onyewu in 2006.

What do you guys think of the news? To me, the first thought is that it ranks among the biggest moves ever for a U.S. player, with Tim Howard's signing at Manchester United the other that immediately comes to mind.

In other news, U.S. midfielder Michael Bradley was suspended four games by FIFA for "committing acts of misconduct against opponents and match officials" in the United States' 2-0 upset of Spain on June 24, according to SI.com.

Bradley, the son of the U.S. coach, will not miss any World Cup qualifiers because the Gold Cup games count toward the suspension even though he is not on the roster.

"Obviously the emotions after a game like that, with a decision like that, are high," Bob Bradley said. "And this is typically the way FIFA handles those things."

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 7, 2009; 9:32 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Freedom's Wambach and Whitehill Called Up
Next: Matchnight: City Islanders at United

Comments

Only down side is if he doesn't play. I don't see that happening. Or, I suppose Italian refs could take six months to understand that a little guy bouncing off you doesn't mean you fouled him...

Other than that, great stuff! Congrats to Gooch!

Posted by: JkR- | July 7, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

congrats to Gooch! As mentioned above...I hope he plays and does well.

Posted by: Mig18 | July 7, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

One big step for Gooch, one bigger step for US Soccer!
Love it!

Posted by: ussccr | July 7, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Actually, the only down side is that it is Milan -- what an ugly, dirty city. Hopefully he'll get up to Como.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Great news, now I have a legit reason two pay a little attention to Italian soccer, and have a favorite when they make it back to Champions League.

What is Milan's position in terms of getting back into Champion's League at the moment anyway?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 7, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Big news for Gooch. I hope he gets regular playing time.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | July 7, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Yeah. I'll have to start watching Serie A on FSC when Milan is playing.

Milan finished 3rd and qualified for CL.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Given his aerial skills at both ends I think he should find playing time. And with Gattuso on the pitch he won't look like the enforcer.

Milan finished third which puts them into the Champion's League, though I couldn't tell you what phase.

Posted by: DCU-ATL | July 7, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Naive question: is it easier for a defender to switch teams? We often talk about how certain mid-fielders or forwards don't fit into a manager's scheme. I don't recall reading that about defenders (other than Jaap Stam who didn't fit into Ferguson's scheme of keeping one's mouth shut). The defensive schemes either a back 3 or a back 4 - not a whole lot of variety.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan: Milan finished third last term, and therefore automatically qualify for the Champions League Group stage.

This is a good move all around. He will have a chance to play, as last season Milans center back were probably the weakest link.

Also, this is the best league for him, as teams like to defend deep and sit in. This will prevent him from having to chase smaller faster strikers over great distances.

I hope he plays and does well.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 7, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

congrats to gooch! this really seemed to come out of nowhere. his gamble to earn a better contract through the CC really paid off!

Posted by: joe_hill | July 7, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

@I-270: Thats an interesting question. I would think that central defends have not fit into managers schemes only when they are not good enough. I would agree, there really are only two formations used these days. I guess if a team plays a back 3 the 3rd or 4th choice center back would be surplus.

I would think though that Onyewu fits into their plans cause they signed him o a free transfer.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 7, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Julia's father died...

Supporters of Olympique de Marseille are in mourning following the news that their majority shareholder, Robert Louis-Dreyfus, passed away aged 63 in Zurich on Saturday after a long illness.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Congrats Gooch!

Shame the Liege didn't sell him last year and recoup a fee. But, they've got a couple titles to show for Gooch's time at the club.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 7, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Good for Gooch! May it be a long and prosperous career in Italy.

Posted by: Juan-John | July 7, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Julia's father died...

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 10:27 AM

Actually RK, they're cousins

Posted by: Kev29 | July 7, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

He earned it at Leige over the years and in S. Africa. I remember reading on FIFA.com a quote by the Italian national coach after their game against the USA. In it, he singled out Gooch and Altidore as giving the Italians lots of trouble. That may have helped lead him to an Italian club side, but he had an excellent tournament all around. Well done!

Posted by: WorldCup | July 7, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Are there any Mexican attackers in that league for Oguchi to crush?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 7, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

You gotta think he will get a chance early, with Milan and their Very ancient backline. I honestly am not too worried about his ability to play, as Serie A isn't as high paced as the Premier league, and also doesn't leave its defenders out to dry as many English clubs do. Gooch surprised the heck out of me at the Confed Cup, and with a good partner should do well.

New Castle can eat it.

I wanted this after the 06 world cup, but knew that it was too much to ask. SO out of the blue, HURRA!!!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 7, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Wow, what a pleasant surprise. Go Gooch! I still remember watching him on tv at the Olympics, what?, 10 years ago or so? He was pretty lanky and played left back or left mid, iirc. Dude is now a total monster. So, will he be feeding the ball to Goldenballs?

Posted by: EssEff | July 7, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Yank in Champion's League? This is a conspiracy to force my hand and get a cable box, and a DVR.
Speaking of cable, my Telefutura is finally working again, after 2 days of a blank screen. They really needed to get back on the air to show me Michael Jackson impersonators paying tribute in Mexico City... LOL.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 7, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I-270: Yes, there can be major differences in manager's schemes. If Gooch were to play at Barcelona next to Daniel Alves (and for a team that pushes very high up the pitch), he would likely have to cover much more ground and be exposed much more often to 1v1 defending with space in behind.

For a team like the US, who plays a much tighter, compact defensive system where there is almost always cover and balance, a lot of a defender's weaknesses are masked by the system as well as by playing with complimentary players.

For AC, I tend to think they play closer to the US style than they do to a Barcelona style attack. In fact, during their Kaka days, they actually had a very similar free-flowing midfield similar to how the US has had with Donovan and Dempsey on the wings. AC has two world class holding midfielders as well that help keep shape and don't abandon their back line, and Thiago Silva is just dirty as a complimentary center back. I think this will be a good move for Gooch.

Is it wrong for me to hope Nesta gets hurt already?

Posted by: psps23 | July 7, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | July 7, 2009 10:38 AM

:-D It's all about your cable, isn't it?

Posted by: Kev29 | July 7, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

So you are right! I had been told he was her father...ah, her father was another very rich Louis-Dreyfus.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

New Castle can eat it.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 7, 2009 10:36 AM

What does the town in Delaware have to do with this?

Posted by: Kev29 | July 7, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 10:45 AM

She'd be quite flattered at your thought that she could have a 63 year old father!:-)

Posted by: Kev29 | July 7, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan, you are at home all of the time, why would you need a dvr?

psps23: covering for DAlves -- that's a thankless job.

BTW, AC Milan just announced their new coach, too, Leonardo. Tough to say what his style will be, other than "attacking" and using Ronaldinho.

Wiki:
After Carlo Ancelotti left Milan to become the manager of Chelsea at the end of May 2009, Leonardo was named head coach of Milan[6][7] despite still lacking the required coaching badges (he is set to attend a UEFA A coaching course on June 2009).[8] He will be however exempted from requiring a UEFA Pro license, which is mandatory for Italian Serie A managers, due to being a former FIFA World Cup winner as a player.[9]

Leonardo wasted no time in declaring that he wanted his team to play attractive attacking football, even invoking the name of his old mentor, Telê Santana[10].

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

His mentor Santana?

Oye como va mi ritmo
Bueno pa' gozar, mulata

Posted by: OWNTF | July 7, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Barely on topic, but a Yank Abroad note:

From the Guardian Rumour Mill:

"The Sun also reveals that Everton boss David Moyes is also expected to complete the signing of American midfielder Anton Peterlin today. "I am not sure how often miracles happen but I will not squander this opportunity," said the 22-year-old, over-egging the pudding with a turn of phrase that's unlikely to be bettered by Richard Dunne if he moves to Sunderland for £4m."

I'd like to propose that Soccer Insider henceforth use the phrase 'over-egging the pudding' as much as possible....

Posted by: JkR- | July 7, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Is the downward arrowhead indicative of the shirt sponsor's status?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Are there any Mexican attackers in that league for Oguchi to crush?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 7, 2009 10:36 AM

HA! From now on I will always think of Mexicans in Europe as Nery Castillo in whatever Eastern Euro league he's in, and calling out how bad the media down there is and saying "That's why I'm in Europe and you never will be"

Seriously though, I see this as awesome, for Gooch and all of us. We'll get to see him, they need help, he'll get Champs League, and likely good money.

As for me, it makes my ticket to that game in the dome much more worth it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 7, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

@psps23:

you need to consider that Ancelotti no longer coaches Milan. The module with Leonardo at the Helm will change dramatically... he already stated that he wants to use a 4 3 3 module versus the 4-3-1-2 and/or 4-3-2-1 that Ancelotti used for the past few years. So a lot more focus on the front line.....

Posted by: malatestiano | July 7, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

They actually do have a new sponsor I270, I believe it's a company called Aon, basically the same sort of business.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 7, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

If it's still AIG, should there just be a US flag on the front, instead?

Posted by: EssEff | July 7, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

malatestiano: Yep, I just read that after my post. It'll be interesting to see if Gooch has improved at playing in space (because, IMO, that was his biggest weakness). He was exposed quite a bit at Costa Rica in our own version of the 4-3-3 (but then again, so was every other US player on the field that day).

One thing that gives me hope -- if Rafa Marquez can succeed at Barcelona, Gooch can succeed here.

Posted by: psps23 | July 7, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

PS: you will have a chance to see Gooch in action July 24th for the chelsea Milan game....

Posted by: malatestiano | July 7, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

If it's still AIG, should there just be a US flag on the front, instead?

Posted by: EssEff

That joke was so beginning-of-the-recession.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

That joke was so beginning-of-the-recession.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

=======================

so two thousand and late

Posted by: OWNTF | July 7, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

This is just a bit better than Fenerbahce...whew. Glad he dodged that bullet.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I thought I was going crazy when I was told about this move this morning!!

Great for Gooch! Even better for the Nats. Hope to see him get some good playing time, though I'm sure it'll take a little bit for him to get his feet under him and adapt to the style.

Posted by: rachel751 | July 7, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Well done to Gooch...best of luck!

Posted by: dgray62876 | July 7, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@ Reignking: Unless we decide to homeschool(higly unlikely) the dream I'm living today won't last forever. By this time next year, I wouldn't be surprised if I was working a full time day job again. Which luckily for you guys, will probably not be one that allows me to look at this blog very much.

Looks like Lance just put himself back into the yellow jersey!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 7, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- | July 7, 2009 10:58 AM

... but wouldn't that be, er, over-egging the pudding?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 7, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

... but wouldn't that be, er, over-egging the pudding?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 7, 2009 11:34 AM

That's a good start. Who else wants to try?

Posted by: JkR- | July 7, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I may have just over-egged the pudding claiming Lance was in yellow. Looks like Cancellara edged him by a tenth of a second or something?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 7, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I thought I was over-egging the pudding when I walked into work this morning giddy after hearing the news of the signing.

Posted by: sitruc | July 7, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

That joke was so beginning-of-the-recession.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 11:11 AM
=================

It's over-egging the pudding.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Who said pudding?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Yup -- Cancellara holds on to yellow, even though they're effectively tied fractions of a second.

At the risk of over-egging the pudding, I have to say this is truly unexpected and stunning news regarding Onyewu. It definitely marks a huge amount of respect for his play in South Africa, but signals a new, if grudging respect for Americans, in general. This is the biggest club move ever for an American field player...at least until the world football community gives Donovan his due.

I guess I'm suffering from American soccer inferiority complex, but I can't help felling some trepidation about whether Gooch will be in over his head. On the other hand, if he gets and holds a spot, this will be incredible preparation for the next trip to South Africa. Bravo, Gooch.

BTW -- and this is definitely TMI -- no over-egging the pudding for me. A liquid diet and bed rest prescribed -- just when I was looking forward to a Germantown and USMNT@RFK double.

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan

Yup...but I would say you over-ouefed the creme brulee.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Right before a WC, it's a bad move and I don't like it. Oh, I'm proud we've got an American in Serie-A and with a big club. And I don't begrudge Gooch the money.

But I don't think he's likely to start for the 2009-2010 season. All other things being equal, the coaching staff will: (a) go with the Italian and/or (b) go with someone they know isn't going to miss the tail end of the season b/c of WC prep camp.

The consequences of him being with Milan are:
--we need to avoid calling him up as much as possible because he needs to compete for starting time. Play with a bigger club and the coaches don't give a frack about your NT. At lesser clubs, our players were told to their faces that "if you really want to go to this NT match that we're required to release you for, I'm not sure we can afford to start you--I don't want a starter who is unavailable for 3-4 weeks during the season due to international commitments."
--if he doesn't start or earn a lot of playing time from the git-go than probably the most important and impressive member of our backline won't be sharp. And when you see the game that Gooch had against Italy, against Egypt, against Spain, against even Brasil, you see just how much an in-form Gooch matters.

Posted by: JoeW1 | July 7, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

fischy, I know what you mean about being concerned if Gooch is in over his head, but he has climbed the ranks in Europe (as opposed to MLS), and become a must-start for the USMNT. I think he garnered a lot of respect not only in the CC, but for bringing Liege titles. He isn't some overnight success.

Also, he doesn't seem to be one to back down from a challenge -- on the field or off. I've got to think that he has the type of personality that can take it all on, and wants to.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Yup...but I would say you over-ouefed the creme brulee.
Posted by: Reignking
=================

Eurosnob!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I know I'll be derided for saying it, but I'd be interested in hearing what Alexi Lalas has to say about Gooch's signing. Wasn't the loquacious Redhead the last Yank defender to play in Serie A??

Posted by: kaynfred53 | July 7, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JoeW1

Don't be so paranoid. They have a new coach, and we have no idea what they have in mind for their lineup.

And as for the World Cup...do you really think AC Milan doesn't have other players going to it? Italy adheres to the FIFA calendar -- Onyewu will get his breaks just like everyone else. I'm not sure where you are getting that.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Yup...but I would say you over-ouefed the creme brulee.
Posted by: Reignking
=================

Eurosnob!

Posted by: I-270Exit1

What, my talk about watching the TdF for the scenery didn't tip ya off? :)

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Yup...but I would say you over-ouefed the creme brulee.
Posted by: Reignking
=================

Eurosnob!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Here we go again, getting all argy-bargy...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 7, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Julia's father died...

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 10:27 AM
----------------------------------
Actually RK, they're cousins

Posted by: Kev29 | July 7, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse
======================================

EWWW!!!!

I don't expect Gooch will get much playing time.

Posted by: J_S_F | July 7, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"U.S. midfielder Michael Bradley was suspended four games by FIFA for "committing acts of misconduct against opponents and match officials" in the U.S.' 2-0 upset of Spain on June 24"
-------------------------------------------------

Bradley guilty of over-egging the match officials and Spanish players?

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Reading marca...a majority of the comments think this is a great signing by Milan (and are upset RM didn't get him).

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Gooch. Now go out there and sieze your starting spot. Great day for the the US. This is the kind of move pumps confidence throughout the side and inspires the youngin's to love and embrace the game. If you do the work you will reap the rewards. Congrats again, Gooch!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | July 7, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else read the Bradley article? It sounds like the extra seven Gold Cup roster spots paid off in bizarre fashion.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 7, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 7, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

No offense to you Mr. Tenorio, but DCU has a match tonight and there is no news on the blog and also there is a match for the National team tomorrow. I was hoping since both are practicing at or around RFK we could get an update on both teams.

Posted by: no_recess | July 7, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Cheers to Gooch, now I can once again wear my AC Milan jersey with pride! (I bought it because of bierhoff back in the day)

This will only make the USMNT better, no doubt about it. The more familiar our players are with the highest levels of competition (and the refs familiar with them) the more competivie we will be.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | July 7, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@dudeabides: is that you wearing purple at times on the Arlington pitch over lunch?

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 7, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 7, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

So, what do I do with my Inter Ibrahimovic jersey?

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Smother it with a larger, thicker, stronger Milan Onyewu one?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 7, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

During the Confederations Cup, I know that the commentators at the time questioned the officiating as it pertained to red cards. Neither of the offenses that Clark or Bradley committed seemed to warrant a red.

Does anyone know if FIFA privately instructed the officials to be particularly tough on certain types of tackles? I know there were a rash of reds in Japanorea 02 and Germany 06 that were explained after the fact that FIFA had given particular instruction about tackles from behind and shirt pulling respectively.

If that's the case, I hope that FIFA will be more transparent about how they intend to instruct the officials. Sure, the rules are in print, but but it's difficult for players to know how they stand when they've not been whistled for something in the qualifiers that suddenly becomes the thing that gets cracked down upon in a finals.

Why does FIFA think that new initiatives should be rolled out in a finals anyway?

Posted by: gooner71 | July 7, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

There's a game tonight?

Thanks, no_recess. I had forgotten.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if the game tonight is sold out? I ask because I just tried to purchase tickets online for my brother and I and nothing was available. I have never been to a DC match at the soccerplex and am a bit new to the process. Finally, it told me that tickets may not be available for purchase hrs before games. Does anyone have any info, I live in Alexandria and do not feel like making to drive to the soccerplex if I cannot get a ticket.

Would like to go to the game though as I spent last week in Ocean City New Jersey and missed that one.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 7, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

grubbsbl: I haven't yet been to a sold-out USOC at the Plex (OK, I've only been to four). You should call the Plex (301) 528-1480 and ask. You may be able to buy directly from them.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

There's virtually no chance tonight's Open Cup game at the Soccerplex will be a sellout. Sparse attendance seems more likely than a big crowd.

Years ago I tried to get tix online for the frozen Harbor View game and none were available but the stands were mostly empty.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 7, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

So Grubbs, you should be almost certain of being able to get tickets at the gate.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 7, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Ticketmaster stops selling tickets a few hours before the match, grubbsbl.

Posted by: sitruc | July 7, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Reignking
----------------

Huh? One of the great cultural centers in Italy, home to La Scala, architecture, painting, sculpture, fashion if that is your thing.

Posted by: fentysupporter | July 7, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the responses. I feel confident now and will be on my way up 270 in an hour or two

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 7, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope you not a guy.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fentysupporter

The city itself is dirty -- when I was there, it simply was not impressive. It felt like the eastern bloc during the Cold War.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

@joedoc: I wish I could kick it around at lunch, but saddly no. I now rock my bierhoff jersey in richmond.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | July 7, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

New AC Milan coach just gave an interview to a Brazilian paper and said that "there is no reason Onyewu will not be successful at AC Milan. The fact that he is American has not bearing on his success, we are Brazilians and learned from a young age that football talent comes in many forms and nationalities and it must be judged on its own merit, on the field."

I think Leonardo is the type of coach who is willing to face and break stereotypes.

Posted by: JP-10 | July 7, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JP-10 | July 7, 2009 4:52 PM
-----------------------------------------------

Leonardo was also the type of player who was willing to break American faces and skulls with his elbows. Onyewu should watch his back.

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

For those of you too young (or too young to the sport) to remember the July 4, 1994 WC match against Brazil, and what Leonardo did to Tab Ramos, earning a straight red:

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

aw crap

I knew I knew that Leonardo from somewhere...and I was just hoping that he was familiar because he was a Leonardo in Italy.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

reignking has a point.

Milan has many charms, but they are not found in architecture. The women are beautiful. the fashions expensive, but the buildings and streets lack character. There is nothing like the Old World charm of most European cities. There isn't even a cool modernist vibe. Just: meh.

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Just: meh.

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 5:06 PM

Aw, c'mon, now I suspect you're under-egging the pudding....

Posted by: JkR- | July 7, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

By now, Tenorio should know that we need to be fed more than once a day. If he doesn't give us something soon, I'm going to post links to a number of goals on youtube and argue that they were all offside.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

And this is coming from a Eurosnob! :)

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 5:13 PM

Why not just continue with the pudding yolks?

(Now I really ahve egg on my face.)

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 7, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Seeing as to how you've never vowed away MLS for it's poor play, I'd say calling you a Eurosnob is slightly over-egging the pudding.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 7, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

B&RRD, you crack me up.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 7, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 4:56 PM

He seems to have gotten over that one! :-) Besides, Onyewu's skull would have broken his elbow...

Posted by: JP-10 | July 7, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I shell be leaving now.

Posted by: Reignking | July 7, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Gooch will get a chance to play and his biggest test in Serie A will be defending attacks on the ground. If he's able to learn the positioning nuances of a centerback, he'll be fine. He's several years older and wiser since his EPL try out days. He'll definitely have some top coaching to help him along.

Posted by: juke2 | July 7, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

The VP at Liege is saying Inter wanted Gooch too.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 7, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

270:

Every back four (Milan won't be in a back three, so that doesn't really enter the equation this time around) functions differently. Quick example: Boswell in our 442 struggled; in Houston, he has thrived. There are plenty of factors involved in that, but a big one is the fact that our approach to it was different from Houston's.

Big keys for Gooch are going to be whether the outside backs attack and whether his defensive partner has speed. If Milan can force their opponents to attack via crosses, or looking for a target man to flick the ball on, Gooch will be tremendous.

JoeW:

I disagree. There are tons of non-Italian players in Serie A being chosen by Italian coaches over Italian players. Since Leonardo isn't even Italian, I think it's even less likely.

I also don't see the fear of the national team ruining his chances there. Milan has plenty of players that get called in for national team matches, and they remain regulars (Pato, for example). We're talking about a pretty cosmopolitan club here. If Kaladze can keep his spot despite having to play for Georgia (a much less significant national team), then why would Gooch be treated differently?

fischy:

I was thinking about Ramos as well. Am I alone in hoping that Leonardo jumps into a training exercise, and Gooch "accidentally" busts his face open?

Still bitter!

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 7, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JP-10 | July 7, 2009 5:32 PM |
------------------------------------------------

Who seems to have gotten over that one? Ramos? Dunno. I shoulda asked him when I saw him last year. Did I mention his kid was dominating the Northeast regionals U-12s that year?

Posted by: fischy | July 7, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Tab Ramos was a great player. Not surprised his kid has followed his footsteps...

Posted by: JP-10 | July 7, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Gotta question. How certain is it he will wind up playing for Milan? Or, like other Americans, will he be loaned out to another team?

Totally pumped for him. Good day for American soccer.

Posted by: Lucius2 | July 7, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

The second largest move for a US player, with Tim Howard to United being the first. I wish Ancelloti was still there, but we'll see just how good Leonardo is. I hope he helps the team, but I don't think realistically he will last all season.

Senderos is gone, and Nesta all ready has one foot in his tomb, so Gooch will see time on the pitch, I just hope it begins at the start of the whistle, because it's very rare a center back is ever subbed into the game.

I'm estatic for him. Hopefully the Americans can't play in big European clubs theme begins to run out of fuel. Now to see where Davies goes...

Posted by: adamsunited | July 8, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse