Poll: Beckham an All-Star?

Sometime this afternoon, Houston Coach Dominic Kinnear's five additional selections to the MLS all-star team will be announced. Presumably, one will be a goalkeeper. Certainly, no one from D.C. United, the New York Red Bulls or Toronto FC will be included because all three clubs have Champions League matches around the time of the July 29 MLS-Everton match. He probably won't choose any hometown Real Salt Lake players because The Commish Don Garber used his two special selections to honor Kyle Beckerman and Javier Morales.

(Besides the planned picks, Kinnear might also have to replace Guillermo Barros Schelotto, who has a hamstring injury.)

The big question is whether Galaxy glamour boy David Beckham is on the list.

Pros: Biggest name in MLS; will attract overseas attention since the opponent is a Premier League team; All-Star Game is a show, not a serious competition.
Cons: He's played in one league game this year; fan appeal is waning.

Have your say and then watch this BBC video from the incident with Galaxy fans.....

By Steve Goff  |  July 20, 2009; 10:15 AM ET
Categories:  Beckham , MLS , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Soccer Sells
Next: Simms's Injury and United Notes

Comments

Another exhibition...I know MLS has lightened up the July schedule, but between national team duty, these international friendlies, and other matches, some of these players must be exhausted.

He doesn't deserve or need it this year. The Bex Effect is over.

Posted by: Reignking | July 20, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Not sure I agree exactly that "the Bex Effect is over". They had 23K in NJ last week. When was the last time the Red Bulls got more than 15K? Do you think that was due to any other reason than Beckham?

Posted by: fedssocr | July 20, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

And that's 23k vs. 50k...the Bex Effect has a half-life of two seasons (or two half-seasons?).

Posted by: Reignking | July 20, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

A "pro" missing from the list is the fact that he's indisputably one of the top players in the league. Show me 18 other MLS players who can, in full stride, routinely hit a teammate on the shoelaces from 60+ yards.

It would be good for the ASG, but he probably does not deserve a spot after one league match. That said, between crushing New York, tying AC Milan-ish, and turning LA "fans" into drooling idiots (not a radical turn, granted), the Beckham effect is just beginning.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 20, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Yes, IF they bring the LA Riot Squad to Salt Lake, as well.

Posted by: Hoost | July 20, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

If Garber needs to sell tickets, he'll invite Beckham.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 20, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

hmm. Man, I was surprised by his reaction to that taunting. I mean, what's the big deal? Players all have to deal with that sometimes. I guess the Golden Boy never got booed before.

Anyway, I voted yes. He's still a big draw, and a talented player ... maybe tops in the league. I don't see why it's such a big deal that he's "not committed" to The Galaxy. I mean it's a no brainer. There's no comparison between Milan and LA. Besides the fact that LA got paid for the loan. If some fans don't understand that, who really cares?

Posted by: Matte | July 20, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Adding Beckham would really be the final nail in the coffin for me. This thing is a joke if you add a guy who hasn't played all year.

I would consider going to an All Star game that was played in Cancun vs the FMF All Stars, wouldn't you? Or how about in Hawaii? Or Miami? Or New Orleans?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 20, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"MLS should really think about changing up it's All Star package. Do the thing in the post season, right after the MLS Cup just like the NFL. Put it in a tropical location and reward the players with some fun and relaxation instead of putting their season on the line for nothing."

Agree with this. Only problem is that the big name euro teams are in their regular season, so you wouldn't get them to show.

Posted by: nairbsod | July 20, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

right, the Bex Effect is diminishing, but certainly not "over". If that game had been on the weekend instead of Wednesday night I think it would have been a much bigger crowd still.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 20, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

"I guess the Golden Boy never got booed before."

I would imagine that his treatment last night was nothing compared to his return to England following France '98 or Portugal '04 -- no one in the stands burned an effigy of him.

The quotes he gave after the game (and the video seems to back them up) indicate that he wanted to acknowledge all the fans throughout the game, even the ones attacking him. Perhaps naivete regarding likely security interference if he invites a fan to jump to the sideline for a handshake?

I'm not a Beckham fan, but I think he deals with booing just fine.

Posted by: sec133row5 | July 20, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I voted yes because All-Star games are promotional events in most sports (including European testimonials) while post-season honors are more merit based. This is obviously a gray area but they are going to want maximum exposure outside the US and Becks brings that.

Also, Goff points out the easy way out for all involved - Becks replaces Schelotto and everyone's happy!

Posted by: paj18 | July 20, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Stop-start highlights from the LAG-ACM match:

Posted by: Juan-John | July 20, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Had to vote yes...this is an exhibition match against an English team. Despite the very vocal "anti-bex" section this past weekend, he will help sell tickets in SLC. And it will help TV ratings - MLS could use the help.

Posted by: soccerman | July 20, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

This is just an example of what other fans around MLS will be doing to him. MLS needs to keep Beckham away from the Allstar match.

The MLS Allstar game is fine as it is. The NFL Pro Bowl is the worst Allstar game there is in all American sports.

Posted by: hardcoco | July 20, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

YE$

Why?

MILK HIM FOR MONEY!

He hasn't earned it. Teams that have the talent worthy of an invite are not going to be able to send some these guys. He'll get the TV's turned on. The hype machine will be in gear. He can help Dave Checketts shovel some more dirt (on his MLS career).

AND - it's not like the Galaxy are suffering from fixture congestion these days.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | July 20, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

If it really was the best 2009 players from the East against the best 2009 players from the West, then no, he would not belong on the All-Star-team.
But it isn't.
It's the most popular, possibly some of the best, players contracted to MLS in 2009 - against some other European team in an exhibition.
So yes, he has just as much right to be there as at least 1/2 the players on the ballot.
Besides, for the haters, it's one more game where there's a half chance of a bad tackle ending it all :-0

Posted by: dcufan | July 20, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Very simply, anything that helps raise the profile of our league will help. Beckham, whether you like it or not, does this for the league. Yesterday's press was negative, but it was still press.

Unfortunately, I have to vote yes.

Posted by: pmtthree | July 20, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"Is anyone really surprise with the fan reaction to Beckham? Well, besides the Golden boy, who thinks he can do and say whatever he wants with no consequences..."

Yeah, if there's one thing Americans hate, it's a supremely talented, honest, plain-spoken individual who wants to compete on behalf of his country. What an evil, evil man, and what an unpardonable sin.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 20, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

YES! Controversy sells.

Posted by: arswift24 | July 20, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

YES! Controversy sells.
Posted by: arswift24
===============

And inflates webhits on certain soccer blogs :-).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 20, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

You aren't suggesting that is why Goff created more posts including a poll and not linking the video until so late in the morning are you, I-270Exit1?

Posted by: sitruc | July 20, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Me? Never.

Well, sometimes.

OK. Yes.

How about another stadium poll?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 20, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I voted "no" but I can see the upside for publicity and ticket sales. If he does play, there's no way he should get the salary bonus that other MLS players get (and some of them need). If he does get the bonus, maybe he'll pay for Galaxy team meal, eh?

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 20, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Reward the players who have performed on the field this year. Beckham does not qualify. The all star game is unnecessary but it doesnt have to be a complete joke.

Posted by: GraciasRiquelme | July 20, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Controversy does sell; but not putting him on the roster will cause as much controversy. The guy's a stupid, selfish jerk. Have him kick out the first ball or something, but no way he should take the place of a player in the league who has had a good first half of the season.

Posted by: hacksaw | July 20, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I said no. We must uphold our values, or whatever it was Ralph Fiennes's character said before he offed himself in In Bruges.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | July 20, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

No he should not be rewarded... she was be punished for the violation of FIFA rules and attempting to go into the crowd with violent intent

Posted by: Shanoni | July 20, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Should he play in the All-Star Game? No, of course not. David Beckham has no business anywhere near the stadium without a ticket. Will he? Yeah, probably. MLS is paying the man a lot of money to sell tickets, and he can't do that sitting at home getting a mani-pedi. Garber will think of a reason, don't you worry.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | July 20, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

LOL at the notion that Beckham views the All Star game as a reward!

Posted by: JkR- | July 20, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I voted no on the basis that he has not played but one match this season.

Money rules all, however.

Posted by: mason08 | July 20, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

@nairbsod: that's why I mentioned FMF All Stars, or something to that effect. I know that may not be as big of a draw as a powerhouse like Everton, or West Ham...but, I think it would be plenty entertaining seeing an all star team of Mexican League Players facing off with MLS stars.
I also think it would generate a lot of interest, and more festive, multicultural vibe.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 20, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Adding Beckham to the list will make a mockery of the entire thing. All Star lists and games are already a joke as it is, but this will make it official.

If actual playing time don't matter, how about we award him the MVP also?

Posted by: tundey | July 20, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

It did not seem to me that beckham could handle the boos, it looked like he got all worked up.

I am not a galaxy lover, but i still will not allow beckham or anyone to disrespect them or our league. Beckham lets see how you handle our section.

If money talks beckham walks.

Posted by: Norteno4life | July 20, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Beckham lets see how you handle our section.

Posted by: Norteno4life |

*******************************

I don't get it?

Posted by: JkR- | July 20, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I voted 'no' because friendly or not its being called an all-star game between the MLS and another team. Under my definition of an 'all-star' game, only players that are performing at a high level should be invited to play. Then, I started thinking about the money the MLS shelled out for Beckham and the expectations of MLS fans...I've changed my mind: Play him hard, play him until his tongue hangs down to the ground. Make him earn all that money and attention. As for the video; reminded me a little of the fan booing Vick incident. No excuse!!!

Posted by: bobleme | July 20, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse