Poll: MLS

With SuperLiga and U.S. Open Cup winding down, Champions League starting up soon, the All-Star Game two weeks away and foreign clubs visiting the States again this summer for friendlies, the Insider asks.....

By Steve Goff  |  July 15, 2009; 11:43 AM ET
Categories:  MLS , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Kickaround
Next: Lauer Loves Becks

Comments

US Open Cup. Love the idea of clubs like Ocean City getting a shot at the big boys. It also brings much-needed revenue to the SoccerPlex -- although I'm sure I-270, Exit 1 could do without the associated traffic.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 15, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

should be a distinction between rip-off friendlies and other friendlies

enjoyed watching 16 year old Quaranta last night against Leverkusen. that guy berbatov was pretty good too.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 15, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

It's the CCL for me. Once established (and cleaned up a bit) this will be the top competition in CONCACAF. It has it all, it is an international cup tourney with decent minnows (USL-1 teams) pushing the big boys. Plus MLS teams get to meet the regional powerhouses in "meaningful" and "relevant" matches. They could fix the run time though, as it seems a bit stacked.

The USOC is a close second for me. It could use proper marketing and better TV coverage, but it also pits US minnows against the MLS giants. I always love "Giant Slaying Night" aka "The Third Round" when MLS teams get punched in the mouth, and like a favorite heavy-weight who just got trounced by the underdog (you know wearing all the makeup and sunglasses to hide the beat-down) I love the MLS fans who go..."Well heck, who cares about that dumb cup anyways? We'd rather be in the playoffs...anyways." Simply sweet.

Posted by: Kosh2 | July 15, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Which one do I like right now? Open Cup. Gives the lower tiers playing time against better American teams and raises the exposure and quality of play at other levels.

Which will I like in ten years? Probably Champions League, because it gives MLS teams playing time against better North American teams and raises the exposure... oh, you get it. Both are important, but I'll like CCL more when MLS teams can get deeper into it. Not because we'll win it more, but because with better play the matches will be more exciting.

Posted by: Rosslyn45 | July 15, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

We like them all.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | July 15, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

CONCACAF and Open Cup because they matter. The friendlies are good when we can see interesting players. I've been watching the old friendlies on COMCAST. The game against Leeds was nice but the one against Bayerne Leverkuesen was great -- Quaranta, Convey, Albright, Pope, Nelson, etc... against Berbatov, Ballack and the Dude! Makes me want to see us play AC Milan with Onyewu - though I hear those guys from Spain are pretty good too.

Posted by: LostinPotomac | July 15, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

as much as i like seeing the likes of Ronaldo, Kaka, Henry come visit here in their prime, i think it is highly disrespectful and condescending to the MLS. They come in, pull all their stars by halftime, subs in their 2nd team or practice team, treat the MLS all starts or the local club as if they were nothing. No respect. and it shows. it shows from the way they play on the field. the way they talk about it in the after the game interviews, or even before the game. they treat it like a day at the beach and it shows on their faces, their manneurism, the way they play and the way they talk about us. I don't like it. and i don't want to keep putting up with it year after year. and we all know that the only reason they keep coming back is because their Business Office sees these guys for what it is: a financial gold mine. Marketing T-Shirts, revenue from the games. but the players are very indifferent on the field. it is pathetic.

it is time to end this madness. Until MLS is up to par with the Euro teams and until they can play a meaningful games that counts more than just pre-season fitness training, these games should stop.

Posted by: gmail | July 15, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I think, someday, it will be the CCL, as it develops history and respect...as the teams take it more seriously and play their top players. Right now, I prefer the Open Cup. It has more charm.

Posted by: fischy | July 15, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

their manneurism
====================

Is that why my mother always asked whether it would kill me to say please and thank you?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 15, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I am RetiredShark and I subscribe to the above post.

Posted by: RetiredShark | July 15, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

CCL is best, then the All Star Game, because these tend to feature the highest level of play. (SuperLiga doesn't count).

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 15, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I am RetiredShark and I subscribe to the above post.

Posted by: RetiredShark

*****************************

Hope you enjoy a better retirement than this guy:

Although the RedBulls might still sign him...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 15, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Champions League - OHHHH, you mean the version that doesn't include the Auld Onion Bag, Derek Rae, and Didier Drogba going Ron Artest on a referre?

Can I change my vote?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | July 15, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I voted CCL. Feel its the best way to gain respect and improve the quality of the league. USOC is a close second.

Off topic, it seems fair to me that Michael Bradley receives a three game suspension for his words to the referee behind closed doors but Didier Drogba has his suspension reduced from 4 games to 2. His explosion at the refs was certainly not outrageous, or on live tv, or in front of the whole world as he waved his arms, pushed the referee, and shouted "its f***ing over" multiple times into the camera. Yes I know different governing bodies, UEFA and FIFA, but for the love of Pete some consistency here!

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 15, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I voted for the Pro-celebrity match on All-Star weekend. Oh, they dropped that? Pity.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 15, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

their manneurism
====================

alternatively, with one "n", a maneurism could be what Mrs. Sanford suffered while watching Gov. Sanford's press conference.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 15, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | July 15, 2009 1:57 PM

**********************

Just a finger wagging this time, but next one is a yellow card.....

Posted by: JkR- | July 15, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind big Euro teams bringing in their "B" teams at the half. When Chelsea was here the "B" team they started the second half with included Damien Duff and Hernan Crespo.

Posted by: b18bolo | July 15, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

A meeting with Beckham, Donovan and Galaxy Coach Bruce Arena at a time and place no one would reveal had put a lid on the controversy that bubbled over when Donovan was quoted making unflattering remarks about Beckham in a new book, "The Beckham Experiment," by Grant Wahl.

===================

Now it can be revealed that they met over lamb pizzas, peach salad and pinot grigio in Manhattan beach. "When I read the book, I had a maneurism," Beckham said. "But now it's over, and I'm not going to talk about what was said. That's between me, Landon and the manager. But it's finished. It's over. So we move on."

I know, straight red, I'm on my way to the showers now . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | July 15, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF:

Berbatov, Ballack, and a short-haired Frankie Hejduk. I forgot that he was still there when Team Aspirin came to down. Of course, the strangest thing by far was seeing Albright score a goal.

***

Like most responders, I have the CCL first and the Open Cup second. It's no secret that I really enjoyed the CCL last year, even though it has many flaws. Every game was full of dramatic, bizarre events. I might have been let down by the officiating in most games, and the standard of play was also poor more often than I'd like, but I can't recall the games ever being boring.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 15, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Champions League is my favorite of the listed. However, I enjoy them all including SuperLiga (which I will be watching tonight). The All Star game doesn't do much for me when it's East vs West. I prefer the international team idea.

Posted by: blackandred777 | July 15, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully MLS will drop the SuperLiga, because the tournament is meaningless that can get a star player hurt.

CCL and US Open are my favorite tournaments. It was fun watching the USL teams advance in the CCL and Charleston Battery in the US Open Cup final.

Posted by: cjtalamantez | July 15, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I have high hopes for CCL to improve as most seem to, and I also think that the Open Cup is pretty cool. I'd really like it, if the MLS clubs threw their fans a bone and produced live feeds and/or television coverage for some of the games.

I actually think some random/casual sports fans might get off on the WTF factor of a team like DCU facing a team like the Barons. No one will ever even know the Open Cup exists, if you can't even find a live video feed, unless a lower division team is providing it. My seat for last years Open Cup final was within earshot of a group of people who were confused by the fact that DCU was playing a lower division club. They didn't know they were at a cup final.....

Posted by: DadRyan | July 15, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Right now the Open Cup is the best for the reasons stated quite well by others already. Concacaf Champions League has potential but MLS clubs need to bring a little more passion into it. The league should be thoroughly embarrassed by its collective performance in this tournament last year.

SuperLiga is a waste of time.

Posted by: cmjhawk86 | July 15, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse