Red Bulls Wreckage

Maybe this Beckham-Donovan thing is going to work out for the Galaxy after all. Then again, they were playing the Red Bulls on Thursday night.

Alecko Eskandarian scored a wonder goal in the third minute on a 25-yard volley, Landon Donovan struck later in the half from 28 yards and then set up Eddie Lewis's angled one-timer for a three-goal halftime lead and a 3-1 victory in David Beckham's 2009 MLS debut before 23,238 at Giants Stadium. Beckham played 70 minutes for the Galaxy (6-3-9), which has won four straight to move within four points of first-place Houston.

Juan Pablo Angel converted a late penalty kick, but then had another one saved by Donovan Ricketts. New York (2-14-4) has lost four straight and is 0-9-2 in its past 11 league matches. With only 10 games remaining, it's time to start comparing these Red Bulls, MLS Cup finalists a year ago, to the worst teams in league history:

1999: New York 7-25, Kansas City 8-24.
2001: Tampa Bay 4-21-2.
2003: Dallas 6-19-5.
2005: Chivas USA (expansion) 4-22-6, RSL (expansion) 5-22-5.
2007: Toronto (expansion) 6-17-7, RSL 6-15-9.

Esky's gem:

By Steve Goff  |  July 16, 2009; 9:59 PM ET
Categories:  Beckham , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Wins Open Cup Rights
Next: MLS News & WPS Video

Comments

Rojas for NY is absolutely terrible. His first half was a total joke.

Posted by: Hoost | July 16, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Beckham played?

I must have missed him out there.

Posted by: sitruc | July 16, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh Mastodon, Oh Mastodon, wherefore art have thee gone?

Yikes. Can they just permanently sign over the Atlantic Cup to us now? It's such a trifling bother watching their futile efforts at reclaiming it.

Posted by: delantero | July 16, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I know that there's a whole weekend worth of games to find some more pretty goals, but I gotta say all three of LA's were beauties.
I'm happy to see Eskandarian starting to find success again. Hope his knock wasn't too bad. Then again it is LA. Die LA, Die!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

esky is no longer wearing the headgear? glad to see that his injuries have cleared up for him to get some playing time.

Posted by: joe_hill | July 16, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

delantero-

"REclaiming"?

Did they ever have it in the first place??

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 16, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

DCU U17's behind 1-0 at the moment live on ESPN Classic

btw, I just got FiOS installed today and it is AMAZING.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 16, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have a link to the DCU U17s?

Posted by: Golden_Child | July 16, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

At this point, does a Red Bull Commentary become a Red Bull Obituary?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 16, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

It should be a JCO and Jeff Agoos obituary.

Posted by: Golden_Child | July 16, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Heehee. This post makes me giddy.

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 16, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

@GoldenChild -- ESPN360, if you've got access.

The refeering was especially bad in the first half. Ref missed an offside flag and let play continue for a minute before blowing whistle. But AR really blew the call the DC team had 2 defenders behind the attacker. Then, the ref didn't whistle a flagrant foul at the edge of the box, which might have given DC a chance to tie it up before halftime.

Posted by: fischy | July 16, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Mugsy Bogues coming on for DC.

Posted by: fischy | July 16, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't have 360 and I can't find it on justin.tv.

Normally I would just watch ESPN Classic, but my cable is out and Comcast says no appt until Wed! It better come back on its own or I am going to crazy this weekend!

Posted by: Golden_Child | July 16, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I mean don't be chumps and NOT provide an opportunity for your fans who can't make it to the Plex on Tuesday!!!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

wow, 2 teams finished without any ties in 1999? what are the odds?

/sarcasm (just in case)

DC United's U17 team has a kid named McBride and it keeps distracting me every time i hear it. he's going to have a hard time with that, like if some other guy named Ronaldo came along.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 16, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan

tinyurl.com (or bit.ly or is.gd or whichever) is your friend.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 16, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

why was my last comment held for review prior to posting?
curious... still has not been posted..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 16, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

can't say eff??

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 16, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

I knew the U-17s were Thursday night. Unfortunately, I thought today was Wednesday.

Posted by: sitruc | July 16, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Beckham was trying to show off his new tattoo for his wife tonight? Seriously, isn't it weird that he didn't wear long sleeves? Equipment manager screw up?
& thanks dimes, I know about that thing, but...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

2min stoppage for DC to comeback

Posted by: sitruc | July 16, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

it was pretty hot in the NYC/NJ area today. i was sweating my tuchus off after a fairly unstrenuous game of softball, so i can only imagine what 70 minutes of running + long sleeves would have done.

also, i'll take the bait and say, did someone say "Wreckage"?

Got out really early from the factory
Driving like a nut in the rain
Don’t think I was acting so hysterically
But I didn’t see a thing until it came
Man the drunks were verbal in the takeaway
Beating up the chinese at the counter

I put a few inside me
At the end of the day
I took out my revenge
On the revolution counter

Crawling from the wreckage
Crawling from the wreckage
You’d think by now at least that
Half my brain would get the message
Crawling from the wreckage
Crawling from the wreckage
Into a brand new car

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 16, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Final
Carmel wins again 1-0

Posted by: sitruc | July 16, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Overall enjoyed both games on tv tonight. DC youth has a few kids of promise besides their goalies. I am going to withhold any negative comments because they are just kids and I played for a youth team, which lost 3 times in regional finals and it hurts...

The NYRB's are terrible. How is Osori (spelling?) not fired. Who knows how good this LA team is with competition that bad. Still to this day I want to know what happened to Dane Richards' technique?

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 17, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Helluva shot by Andy Najar and a helluva save by the Carmel keeper to preserve the win.

Hamid showed his stuff. No wonder United is considering offering him a deal. Very solid. But, based on his hat trick earlier, and the skillful chest trap and volley, I'd say Najar is also someone that Kaspar and Soehn are keeping their eyes on.

Posted by: fischy | July 17, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

It should be noted that Najar was the youngest player in the entire U17/18 group. I think we're going to be hearing more about this lad in years to come.

Posted by: fischy | July 17, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

I saw his highlights on the ussoccer website, and was instantly impressed, especially only for a sophmore in high school.

It may not be just Soehn and Kaspar, but likely Cabrera too, if I were him.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 17, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

I"m trying to figure out his real age -- which seems to have been a subject of discussion at bigsoccer. I'm wondering if DC United might want to correct a typo on their site -- says he was born March 16, 1996. He's all of 13? That would be some holy shiznit, but I think not.

US Soccer says he was born in 1993. Still dang impressive for barely 16....

On the other hand, Potomac Soccer Wire quotes Maesner as saying "Andy Najar was one of our best players and is still only 15 years old!". Maybe, Maesner's in the dark, too? Or, is he really only 15? In either case, United may have struck a gold vein here.

Posted by: fischy | July 17, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

In this case, I'm going with 16. USSoccer had to get their papers in to verify all this, and I'd go with what they've found.

Please, refrain from Freddy Adu jokes.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 17, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

There are some pretty good young strikers on the U17 (notably McInerney and Jerome), but maybe Najar could get a look in the midfield. The team is off to Brazil for a tourney there, but maybe Najar gets an invite to the next camp.

Posted by: fischy | July 17, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

a bald (and long-sleeved) Beckham just scored against Liverpool in 2001 on FSC.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 17, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Can you link the Najar highlights on USSoccer?

Posted by: EssEff | July 17, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

So does DCU get first crack at signing someone from DCU affiliated youth teams meaning that they don't go into the draft? Has anyone from the DCU youth system ever made it to the senior roster?

Posted by: nmeeker | July 17, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

For NY to finish with the worst ever record in MLS would be oh so sweet

Posted by: carmines757 | July 17, 2009 1:49 AM | Report abuse

EssEff, go to ussoccer.com, and in the video section, scroll down to the DA Highlights from Day 1, it's in there.

nmeeker, yes, assuming the player agrees to contract.

Chivas and LA both have signed academy players, if I do remember correctly. NY tried with Dilly Duka, but (forgive me for this) Dilly Dallied around, he wanted more than they thought he was worth, he then went to Rutgers, recently agreed to terms, but MLS has ruled since he's gone to college, he's draft eligible, if I 've got the memory correct. Ives did a story about it a couple of weeks ago if you care to go searching.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 17, 2009 1:54 AM | Report abuse

The video player on the right, EssEff, my bad.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 17, 2009 1:55 AM | Report abuse

Still looking for the link.

Posted by: redskinsux | July 17, 2009 2:38 AM | Report abuse

Jacob: they tried with Cassel under the oldish rules and only offered him the minimum, so the kid went to Maryland. Mls rules that Duka, while on RB's U-20 team, wasn't an academy guy because he didn't have two years in before going to college, so he's a draft guy. They also have Jonny Exantus, whatever is going on with him. I wouldn't be shocked if dcu offers one of the keepers a genad deal, either this year or next year. I've said before that dcu is a good place for young keepers, might be worth a try.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 17, 2009 4:41 AM | Report abuse

Leipheimer withdrew...

Posted by: Reignking | July 17, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Esky's goal may very well be the goal of the year. That was a thing of beauty.

Posted by: tundey | July 17, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

kdiff813: yes, Jersey won the Atlantic Cup one year.

delantero: Don't say "It's such a trifling bother watching their futile efforts at reclaiming it," since not only are they a fairly reliable source of three points, but this year they're the only reliable source of three points we've had. We draw matches this year, not win them; and right now that's killing us.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | July 17, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Leipheimer withdrew...

Posted by: Reignking | July 17, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

I guess Landycakes isn't the only one who can't get it done in Europe...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for being precise JoshuaO, I felt like I had over simplified it.

Any given reason why Leipheimer withdrew?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 17, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

having a broken wrist seems like a sufficient reason to take a break from being on the bike!

Posted by: joe_hill | July 17, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Hence my winking smiley, I actually didn't realize he had a broken wrist until after I made my little joke. It's a shame for Levi after missing the Tour last year because of the Astana snub. I guess them's the breaks...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

200km in the Alps, in the rain? Ouch.
I won't be surprised to see some carnage today.
That's the last I'll say about that.
Let's get some soccer talk going.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

esky's goal.... thing of beauty... mos def my favorite former Untied player... glad to see he is getting his form back..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 17, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Of course, Max Bretos missed an important thing about Esky. Bretos noted he grew up in NJ, and probably had family in friends in his corner there. What he left out -- maybe he doesn't know -- is that the original Esky (Alecko's dad) was a huge fan favorite in that very same stadium, playing for the Cosmos. There was no one more popular on that team in the post-Pele era, over a sustained time, as he joined the Cosmos in '79 and played through the league's demise.

Posted by: fischy | July 17, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, this is not really Tour de France related or even very soccer-related but when I saw the headline "Pope Breaks Wrist in Fall" my first thought was about Eddie Pope...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 17, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

All three LAG goals were amazing.

Which one do folks think was the highest "degree of difficulty" technically? Mr. Goff do you have video of all 3?

Donovan's and Eskandarian's were pretty similar (though Donovan's without the flick and spin set-up). I think Lewis' might have been trickier, but am curious what people think.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 17, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Too bad for Levi. Broke the same bone way back when and thought it was a bad sprain.

How bout that ride by Sorensen yesterday! That's how you win a bike race! Attack, attack again from a small group, attack again from a breakaway companion and ride it in alone! Super ride.

Posted by: delantero | July 17, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

And DCU's academy team really looked bad. Kick ball anyone? I watched the last 30 minutes and was shocked at how one dimensional they were. Congrats on a good season though.

Posted by: delantero | July 17, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Delantro:

What game were you watching? Carmel was a very compact team who's one goal was pure individual brilliance. They weren't playing open football, and it showed. I enjoyed the game far more than I expected, and thought that the players knew what they were doing. The movement was good, as was much of the passing.

I've enjoyed MLS games far less. Kick ball? They are high schoolers, but I think we can see that the overall skill level has grown in a pleasing way, this game would have been really unwatchable not so long ago.

Congrats, DC, improve the defense and good things will happen.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 17, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

eksy's goal is not going to be goal of the year. It was a great strike, but not spectacular. New York Goalkeeper is a bit too short for my liking, lewis' goal should have been stopped. Becks did alright, a few good crosses and some good defense. Donovan was exceptional, making runs and passing very well. I agree that rojas has become rather useless. He needs to be pushed, or else he is going to be a failure. Angel the fool tried to fool ricketts with the same move twice. NY at times showed some promise, Other then a few lapses on D, i think they showed good sportsmanship by playing tough throughout the match, instead of giving up after half-time. NY needs a good left back. Their left back was getting burned non-stop.

Posted by: g3impreza | July 17, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

There was also one thing missing from Max's commentary:

A "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!"

Posted by: bs2004 | July 17, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I thought Carmel established fairly early that they were going to be in charge of the pace and style of the game.

DC Youts looked like they wanted to play the ball on the ground, but couldn't as Carmel seemed to have 13 big, quick, smart players on the field. They forced DC to play over the top, which they didn't appear as comfortable with.

I thought both GK's looked good. DC Utes may have been awarded a penalty in the 2dn half under a different ref, but the ref they had was somewhat consistent, blowing for a foul only if the victim was bound and gagged and left on the field.

Fair result, nice run by both to make the final.

Posted by: JkR- | July 17, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

All three of LA's goals were terrific. However, as a player I'd have to say Eddie Lewis's strike was the most difficult of the 3.

Remember, Lewis hit the ball on a volley from a cross field pass by Dononvan. He struck the ball almost perfectly keeping the ball low and to the inside netting of the far post. Absolutley textbook finish.

The technique and control to do that represents a very high degree of difficulty, much higher than the other 2 strikes.

Posted by: dcufan531 | July 17, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm happy to see Esky playing well again... especially against the Red Bulls. Somehow I hope he doesn't make the trip back to DC in August.

I thought the DC United U17/18 team looked great last night. They were tactically outplayed, but the individual skill they showed on the ball was impressive. I think they would have done a little better if they had kept the majority of their passes within 15 ft. There were way to many long passes that got intercepted by an outstanding Carmel United squad.

Posted by: TCompton | July 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Honestly, DCU Academy had that game tied towards the end were it not for that incredible shot/save sequence from Najar and the Carmel keeper. Najar chested down a difficult ball at the top of the box under pressure from defenders and one-timed it perfectly (I think on the volley) straight towards the far post corner. The Carmel keeper got his arm on it and deflected it into the post. A great shot and a geat save. It was exciting to watch.

What would've made it even better, of course, would have been to see some of the DCU Nation in the stands singing for our academy boys. Get 'em loyal while they're young!

Posted by: VercengetorixII | July 17, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

The Galaxy looked really, really good for the first 60-65 minutes. Then they went into cruise control mode. All three goals were outstanding. I was really impressed at Eddie Lewis' pace, considering his age. If you look at the entire squad, on balance, they have really good pedigree. with results thus far, they have to be considered one of the teams to watch out for.

We get them here on August 22nd!

BTW, did anyone else hear (clearly) the NY fans chanting F-U Beckham? Awesome!

Carmel was across the board the better side. The only standouts for DC were Bill Hamid in goal and Najar. Bill made three critical saves, keeping DC within a goal. Najar's touch and composure were impressive. However, Carmel had them at every turn. They were more fit, had better first touch, MUCH better shape (DC's shape/balance in the back were woeful), more effective on counterattacks, just better all around. I really liked Sanner from Carmel - tenacious as heck, smart (knew when to hold up), and was Moreno-like in his ability to play with his back to goal.

All in all, Carmel looked better prepared and much more balanced across their starting XI. I saw numerous Carmel players exhibit dribbling skill, where as maybe two or three DC players did the same. It was shocking how often DC attackers, in taking a touch to separate from the defender and find space for a shot, instead took the touch back into pressure.

BTW, don't hold your breath for a Gen Adidas contract...even a reserve position in europe pays alot more. Moreover, with the demise of the MLS reserve league, there is no chance of getting playing time with to learn and improve. You have to crack the first team in MLS now in order to establish yourself. This is harder for the keepers than say midfielders, due to numbers. Expect the DC academy keepers to go overseas. It is better for them anyway.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | July 17, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

esky's volley was pretty good on it's own, but the sombrero to set it up is what made it the best of the three.

Posted by: joe_hill | July 17, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Soo the Sounders are stepping up to the plate and providing coverage for the semifinal match... Please DCU don't be total chumps and do the same.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 11:26 PM
-------------------------------------------

In a previous thread, someone alleged that there were technical obstacles to providing a Webcast from the 'Plex. I'd like to hear more details. What makes a Webcast more challenging then a regular TV broadcast, which is clearly possible (FSC has done at least a couple of Freedom games already this year)?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 17, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

delantero, I thought United chased the match too early, but that was a last resort tactic to get the ball up the field. It was obvious that the players were very comfortable with the ball at their feet. Both teams played well, but DC showed more skilled overall. The better "team" still won though.

I'm pretty sure the SoccerPlex still uses 28.8k and that is why they can't do a webcast.

Posted by: sitruc | July 17, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | July 17, 2009 10:56 AM
------------------------------------------

That is pretty slow, even for dialup. (Perhaps you are using 28.8 as shorthand for dialup, even though dialup today would more likely be 56.) Even if this were the case, surely there are people in the press box who are bringing their own high-speed wireless connections, and presumably any Webcaster could do likewise.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 17, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Delantro:
What game were you watching?

THe post clearly says it. I watched the last 30 minutes. I saw dozens of long balls into the box that either the CB or the GK from Carmel cleared. It was not a pretty game. I saw few give and goes. I saw few connected passes. I saw no overlapping runs. I saw DC players hustled off the ball repeatedly. It was not anywhere close to possession soccer. That's really not hard to see.

Posted by: delantero | July 17, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Eski's goal at Giants Stadium was great. That will probably be his last with the new stadium almost finished. A clip showing an Eski Sr. goal for the Cosmos at Giants stadium would be neat.

Posted by: Alsatian1 | July 17, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | July 17, 2009 10:56 AM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 17, 2009 11:06 AM |
-----------------------------------------------

Is there a cure for the humor-impaired?

As for the DCU Academy effort -- it was pretty good for high-schoolers. If they had not fallen behind they would not have been forced to play that way in the end. Of course there were long balls. Carmel had nine or ten men packed in on defense through the entire second half. Seemed that the coach really changed his mind from his halftime comment about possessing more. There was only DCU player I thought was totally overmatched (a second-half sub -- no need to single anyone out). True, Carmel had 2 or 3 players that really stood out, but otherwise I'd say DCU looked deeper. And, that's with Hegngi (last year's SUM star) having an off-night. True, they got more desperate as the final whistle drew near, and just sent in long ball after another, but one of those nearly paid off. Give 'em a break. They played their hearts out, and played well against a team that also shut out it's first 2 opponents.

Posted by: fischy | July 17, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse