Saturday Kickaround

Read Paul Tenorio's front-page profile of Washington Freedom star Sonia Bompastor. Today's kickoff against St. Louis at RFK is 5 p.m. (Comcast SportsNet). Washington's Abby Wambach and Cat Whitehill and St. Louis's Hope Solo and Lori Chalupny are unavailable because of USA national team duty.

Read my United-Rapids match preview. Tonight's kickoff against Colorado at RFK is 8 p.m. (Comcast SportsNet). Santino Quaranta and Dejan Jakovic out for United, Ugo Ihemelu and Colin Clark absent for the Rapids.

USA-Panama in the Gold Cup quarterfinals tonight in Philadelphia (8 p.m., Fox Soccer Channel, Telefutura). Read the Philadelphia Inquirer's preview.

In USL2, Real Maryland (7-7-0) drops a 3-1 decision at Wilmington.

MLS today:
Houston at Toronto, 1 p.m. (ESPN2)
Chelsea at Seattle, 3 (ESPN2)
Real Salt Lake at Columbus 8 (Direct Kick)
San Jose at Chicago, 8:30 (Direct Kick)

By Steve Goff  |  July 18, 2009; 7:26 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Freedom , Gold Cup , MLS , U.S. men's national team , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McBride Prognosis Worsens
Next: WPS Matchday: Athletica at Freedom

Comments

With work and social commitments all day, gonna be a long one for the dvr.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 18, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Jacob, one of these days we will have to get together with Reignking somewhere between Atlanta-ish and Fort Benning and watch a game!

Posted by: dcarmy | July 18, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Soccer Insider meet and greet/viewing party at DadRyan's.

Posted by: sitruc | July 18, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

""Greg Janicki said. "We didn't have our legs and we didn't have the right mind-set.""

"We?" Neither Janicki nor the other screw up in that game Avery John had played in the previous two games. They were fresh as daisies . . . and played like them too.

Right mind-set? You are professionals, what other mind-set could you possibly have had? Oh, oh, the pretty mountains of Colorado?

Posted by: delantero | July 18, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Too bad I need to head out early for the tailgate at rfk. I surely would love to watch Seattle v Chelsea game as they announced full sold out 67k!
Still wondering how United v Madrid will sell. Even 50-60k would be disappointing but I don't see it going beyond that.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 18, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"United will soon decide whether to offer contracts to defenders Jean-Francois Bell (Cameroon) and David Habarugira (Burundi), who have completed workouts."

So, what are the considerations? Why haven't they made the decision already? Trying to guess Habarugira's price? Still looking to see who else might be out there? Waiting to see who does or does not survive tonight's game intact?

Posted by: fischy | July 18, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Strange results in the tour today. Tomorrow should be what we were hoping yesterday wasn't.
Wouldn't be surprised if some Columbia riders trash their hotel rooms tonight...;-)
Sorta looking forward to watching the Sounders take on Chelsea. Hopefully Drogba gets a terrible rug burn diving on that plastic!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 18, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

From Goff's preview:

"The Rapids (6-4-6) haven't won here since 1999..."

************************************

I've been going to RFK for United games since game 1 in 1996 and I'm surprised the Rapids have ever won here (of course we're not much better over at their place).

Of course this makes me fear the letdown. Hopefully the team is champing at the bit for some soccer after a fairly long break.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 18, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Interested to see what the vibe at BMO field will be without Beer being soold in the stadium today...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 18, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Uhhhm, is the MLS match going to seriously be preempted for this Softball game? Is their a skunking rule in "World Softball"?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 18, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Awful attendance in Toronto.

Posted by: Reignking | July 18, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

In a previous thread, someone posted a link that said that McLeod was with the Canada WNT. What is her status?

Also, it was reported a while back that Joanna Lohman had been waived, supposedly in order to restructure her contract as a developmental contract and free up a space for someone else (Sarah Huffman, I think). Whatever became of that?

Posted by: universityandpark | July 18, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

RK, they're probably all in the bathroom topping off their soft drinks with airplane bottles... No Beer Sales at BMO today.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 18, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Why just today?

Posted by: Reignking | July 18, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

It's a punishment for being caught serving some underage kid....

Posted by: fischy | July 18, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Somehow, I think they'll survive it in Toronto. I'm going to RFK tonight and forced to skip my usual brews. But, I'll report back on my "vibe".

Posted by: fischy | July 18, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

So did Ibra even travel to the states with Inter, and does he just go home now?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 18, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

There were reports that Ibra was practicing at UCLA with Inter so I guess he made the trip.

Posted by: addick | July 18, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Ibra came on at the start of the second half of the 2-2 draw with UCLA.

Posted by: addick | July 18, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Ok he made it to LA, but does he now go home now that he's been "swapped" to Barca?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 18, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Keller sure is lucky. Looking awful.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 18, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Terrific crowd in Seattle. Shame that their defenders are standing around watching Chelsea as well

Posted by: Kev29 | July 18, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Danny Sturridge is terrorizing Seattle's defense.

Pretty amazing that Man City are trying to buy everyone on earth, but let this great 19 year old forward go to Chelsea via a tribunal fee by letting his contract expire. Seems a little shortsighted.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 18, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Everyone has agreed in principle to the deal but Eto'o is holding out for 10 million Euros per year and Goal is reporting that Ibra's agent hasn't even spoken with Barca about personal terms.

Posted by: addick | July 18, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Copy that addick, so I'll assume the Swede will go ahead and play tonight. So FSC will be replaying the game tonight?

God Seattle is Sooooooo White. I swore there was a little ethnic diversity when I lived there but you really can't tell looking at that crowd of gingers...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 18, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I thought Seattle did pretty well, except maybe Montero. Sure, they lacked finishing quality, but they hung in there and I thought created many more chances than Chelsea. I was especially impressed by the Seattle reserves....LeToux, Boss, Scott, even Nyassi, though he couldn't score.

Chelsea's reserves were a mixed bag. Hilario and Shevchenko are barely shells of their former selves, but their young kids looked good.

Posted by: fischy | July 18, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I'd say Le Toux has been the biggest surprise for me this year. I can't say I saw a whole lot of him last year, but I think I recall seeing a bit of him in the open cup here and there last year for the usl sounders. dude has wheels and a surprising amount of aggression where guys you'd expect to have it (Jaqua) don't. I actually thought he'd be a flop, but he plays like he's got nothing to lose but without the arrogance you'd expect from a forward. I like him. Montero is very immature, and inexperienced. It's a joke that people keep talking about him going to europe. He'd be swallowed alive. Scott saved the day a couple times toward the end. what evs. the game was awfully slow, and pretty boring.
I like Houston's chances much better on Tuesday after both the Sounders and Dynamo's results today. I like our chances beating Rochester after our result. Blah, blah. gotta go.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 19, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse