Saturday Kickaround

*Read about the AC Milan-Chelsea friendly in front of 71,000-plus in Baltimore.

*Read about D.C. United's roster status heading into tonight's match at San Jose.

*Calculate the percentage of salary lost when MLS fined David Beckham $1,000 for his tiff with a fan last week.

*Assess the MLS All-Star Game replacements -- RSL's Will Johnson and Chicago's Bakary Soumare for Houston's Brian Ching (fatigue) and New England's Shalrie Joseph (knee); Colorado's signing (Argentine forward Facundo Diz) and Kansas City's roster move (activating forward Adam Cristman from the injury list).

*With DCU and the Freedom on the road this weekend, consider a trip to Richard Montgomery High School in Rockville for USL2's Real Maryland friendly against Guatemalan club Municipal (6 p.m.) or to UMBC Stadium in Catonsville for Crystal Palace Baltimore's regular season home finale against Charlotte (7 p.m.).

*Watch video of last night's wild 4-2 victory by RSL over Dallas, which led 2-0 on the road and, after falling into a tie, failed to convert a penalty kick (Rimando caught it!) and then conceded an own goal in the 88th minute.

*MLS today:
Chicago at Seattle, 3 p.m. ET (ESPN)
Toronto at Columbus, 7:30 (Direct Kick)
New England at Houston, 8:30 (Direct Kick)
Los Angeles at Kansas City, 9 (ESPN2)
New York at Colorado, 9:30 (Direct Kick)
DCU at San Jose, 10:30 (FSC)

By Steve Goff  |  July 25, 2009; 11:35 AM ET
Categories:  Beckham , D.C. United , MLS , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Few Minutes With Will Chang
Next: Matchday #19: United-Earthquakes

Comments

Yeah, but at list Goldenballs was exposed for the guy he really is . . he lied to the press about a "handshake" but instead baited the Riot Squad clown into it. Ultimately, the message is more important than the dollar amount.

I'm just ticked that Ching got $500 for a tweet but Becks only gets $1000 for his actions.

Posted by: delantero | July 25, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

i would hope the fan would not be banned for life, just a couple of games.

Posted by: Norteno4life | July 25, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

agreed Becks called him down onto the field. We've all done stupid things we regret while drunk, and most people learn from those mistakes. It's called growing up.

Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 25, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

L.A. should reevaluate the 10 year ban for the fan. He was deliberately bated by the player. Beckham has more money than god, why such a small fine?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | July 25, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, Szetela is talking the talk.

Let's see how he plays.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 25, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

The ban for life or 10 yrs is typical with most other fan intrusions of pitches in Europe. While harsh, I think its necessary to discourage future incidents.

I really think LA are handling this situation poorly. I think if they want to stop this negative situation, and continue on as a dark horse to win the MLS Cup, the rest of the team needs to rally behind Beckham and call for the fans to stop. The other players and front office should be launching an all out PR assault to get the LA fans behind Beckham.

The only reason why I care is because Beckham brings much more to this league in terms of credibility then anyone else. Also, if we want huge names is soccer to continue this DP trend we will need Beckham to give it the vote of approval. If Beckham says it was a good experience and a good idea others will follow. Right now the LA Galaxy not coming to his aid makes the Galaxy look petty and small. Manchester United protected him after his 98 world cup incident and got Old Trafford behind him, and United also protected Ronaldo after the 06 world cup.

I could care less about LA on the field because we all know DC United is winning it all anyways.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 25, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Goffer - that's a lot of action verbs!

Posted by: diego_r | July 25, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Dallas was unlucky to not be up 4-0 in that game. their 2nd goal was beautiful. unfortunately, they were undone by some bad luck on the own goal and then some absolutely terrible goalie positioning (not to mention bad defending) on Movsisyan's final goal. not a good 2nd half for their back line.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 25, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Goffinho, can you put together a post on how Davies' and Altidore's preseasons are going?

Posted by: you-dont | July 25, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"Szetela might start alongside Ben Olsen in defensive midfield behind playmaker Christian Gómez"

I hope so. Jacobson isn't my favorite, and I'd like to see what Szetz can do, even if it is only for a half.

Posted by: delantero | July 25, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Nicky Rimando clip! He caught the ball! Awesome. Save of the year.

Posted by: delantero | July 25, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

What I'd really like to know:
Will the Incredible Dog Challenge go in to overtime?
Its on ESPN, MLS is on after it, so my gut is telling me yes.

Posted by: Washago | July 25, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Great crowd last night for the RSL/FC Dallas game. Along with all the things Goff mentioned, there were also 7 yellows and two reds, and one red recinded (Clint Mathis). Both sides played well, but Dallas fell apart at the end.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | July 25, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Jon Busch is playing in Seattle right now. Assuming he's not immediately taking a plane cross country for a game less than 24 hours from now. Who is our backup GK for the Gold Cup Final? Is Guzan a suprise addition?

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | July 25, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Who is the backup Gold Cup goalie? Busch is playing at Seattle today? Hope we got one.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | July 25, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I hope no one at real maryland thinks this is a home game. I'm guessing it is the farthest Municipal ever traveled to play in front of their fans.

Posted by: troy6 | July 25, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I can't tell if Guzan is in Spain with Astonh Villa right now.

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | July 25, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

on the jerk's fine: this is why fines should be a percentage of pay rather than a fixed amount. a 1% fine would hit a minimum wage player and a designated player in the same way. MLS officials just made themselves look stupid -- again -- with this fine.

Posted by: troy6 | July 25, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Guzan twittered that he was in Spain two days ago.

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | July 25, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

League fines are usually agreed upon between the players assoc. and the league, and not just a random number. There's typically room for minor amount of discretion, but you can't just have some capricious amount thrown out there.

The player was fined, the fan an idiot, it was a week ago, I hope we can be done talking about it.

Posted by: JkR- | July 25, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Who is the backup Gold Cup goalie?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | July 25, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Anyone going to the Gold Cup final?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | July 25, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Either:

1) Busch is going to take an immediate flight back to NY.

2) Robles is coming in from Germany

3) Guzan is coming in from Spain.

I think 1 is most likely, but this is not a good situation.

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | July 25, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Just home from work, and watching this Seattle match. Thorrington is letting the crowd and ref affect him. If he's not careful, he's about to pick up a second yellow before half.

No clue who the backup goalie would be (Is Quavis Kirk on the magical "list of seven"?), but US Soccer is announcing the game tomorrow is a sellout. I'd like to think that in New York that would be a very pro-US crowd, but I wouldn't know for sure.

I put my thoughts on the whole stadium idea in the last thread, I would like your guys' opinions, as I think I had a good idea.

That's it, for now, I guess.

Vamos United

Wait, one more thing: My brother is officially pulling for Seattle now. What do I do about this?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Someone on SBI, although I can't confirm through US Soccer or their twitter or anything, that Busch is flying cross country after this game.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

If Seattle knows how to finish they would've 3-nil. Atmosphere is absolutely amazing. If all of our DC fans can cooperate singing that would be like this one.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 25, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I am sure Busch will be taking a flight to NY, after the game. The rest of the team will go back to Chicago. He will go to NY. Not ideal, that is for sure.

Posted by: fischy | July 25, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I thought Thorrington would get his second yellow before half. I was wrong, he waited 10 minutes into the second half to pick it up.

Although he has a right to be mad, Montero kicking the ball into that guy's in the face was fantastic.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Lundjberg gets a yellow for an obvious dive, and then a straight red for dissent.

This is CRAZY. He might have earned himself a nice 1,000 dollar fine for that.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Ljungberg has been a hothead all season. No surprise he got himself sent off.

Now how about a caution for Blanco for his obvious dives?

Posted by: fedssocr | July 25, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Kyle Martino is a moron.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 25, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

jkr: yeah, I know the fines are negotiated. that's why I was suggesting a different way to do it. flat rates impact players differently. DPs can do pretty much whatever they want, knowing the fines are too low to matter. Minimum wage guys are actually worried about the fines, since they hover around the poverty line already.

and thanks for letting me know which subjects are allowed to be discussed. might I suggest you just skip the posts on subjects that don't interest you?

Posted by: troy6 | July 25, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Lundjberg didn't dive. That would be a free kick to any reputable league. This ref has a very loose hand. He always gives very cheap yellows no matter what team he works on. He also missed a clear fault on Montero when he was ready to shoot. That would be a free kick too.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 25, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Troy, please accept my apology for appearing to single you out. That was not my intention and it was clumsily written.

Posted by: JkR- | July 25, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I like martino as a commentator. Better then me losing all my hair at my youthful age of 22 listening to Alexi Lalas talk his nonsense. Overall, great game at Seattle, good competitive match from both sides -extremely open and fun.

Here is too DC United tonight.

Going for a run to keep the girls interested (which doesn't really help as I will be neglecting her to go out and watch the DC game with my buddies). Hope I don't die in the 95 degree heat.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 25, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

ESPN2 will be airing a Gold Cup pre-game special tomorrow at 2 p.m. ET.

Posted by: addick | July 25, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Bring DCU to Baltimore. 71,000 granted it was an international match, but we drew more than DCU v Real Madrid will

Posted by: BmoreFan | July 25, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Goffer - that's a lot of action verbs!
Posted by: diego_r | July 25, 2009 1:39 PM
=====================

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 25, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

It is interesting that Disney is showing two MLS matches in the space of less than 12 hours. Is tonight's game the first time a national telecast is originating from KC's stopgap ground? I've always had mixed feelings as to whether I want to see that venue (and to a lesser extent, Buck Shaw Stadium in Santa Clara) used as a vehicle for showcasing MLS. What's more, this will be a close encounter of the Beckham kind. The 'Quakes normally borrow the Oakland Coliseum for such occasions, and I thought the Wizards did likewise with Arrowhead.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 25, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

"From the Pacific Northwest, next up for Busch was a coast-to-coast flight to New York to join the United States national team for Sunday’s CONCACAF Gold Cup final against Mexico."

Posted by: emanon13 | July 25, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Lundjberg didn't dive. That would be a free kick to any reputable league

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 25, 2009 5:11 PM

--------------------------

You and I will just have to agree to very much disagree. It looked to me, and I guess we won't know til we see highlights, like the only contact came from the shoulder/elbow/upper arm area, in the form of a bit of throwing a chicken wing out there, and without much contact. And it looked like his feet were already off the ground. I do not mean this as any sort of put down, but I do believe you are one person I've seen say it was a foul.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

When will Columbus update their circa 1987 broadcast equipment?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Mickey Mouse loves soccer.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 25, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Here's the highlights, and the dive is at the 2:45 mark, with the replay right after that showing it clearly to be a dive.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

jkr: no problem. I probably should have counted to ten and then realized you were just stating the facts. Cheers!

Posted by: troy6 | July 25, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Toronto has a decent size group of fans who made the trip to Ohio - wonder if they got relegated to the "special" parking lot like the DCU fans were on the 4th

Posted by: emanon13 | July 25, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

i'm with jacob. that looked like a dive from lundjberg. he cost me dearly on my fantasy team. 2 red cards for week 19 so far - lundjberg and drew moor. ah.

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 25, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I just realized that I never actually posted the link:

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Hartman is not a fan of streamers

Posted by: emanon13 | July 25, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Espn cameras just caught kevin hartman yelling at the fans "what is all this sh/t?" because of the streamers all over his box. Great question kevin.

Looks like an SRO crowd in KC.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 25, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse