Saturday Kickaround

*Read the United-Crew preview.

*Check the Gold Cup outline.

*Chris Leitch's own goal in second-half added time allowed Real Salt Lake to tie San Jose, 1-1, before 17,478 at Rio Tinto Stadium. The match included a sweet goal by Arturo Alvarez, seven yellow cards and a red to RSL's Fabian Espindola for a brutal act that should warrant an additional suspension. Watch the video highlight package.

*The Gold Cup got underway at Home Depot Center with Canada edging Jamaica, 1-0, on a 75th-minute goal by new Toronto FC signing Ali Gerba, and El Salvador notching a 2-1 surprise against Costa Rica on William Osael Romero's second goal in the 86th minute to the delight of most of the capacity crowd of 27,000. Watch:

By Steve Goff  |  July 4, 2009; 8:52 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Gold Cup , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Moreno, Emilio Out
Next: Matchday #17: United-Crew

Comments

Happy Independence day, everybody!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 4, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is the wide format youtube video too large for the middle column?

Posted by: sitruc | July 4, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is that Jaime Moreno in goal? No wonder why he can't play tonite.

Hope everyone has a happy safe 4th.

Posted by: googlio | July 4, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Espindola was having a good game, too; RSL deserved at least a point from what I could see from those highlights.

Posted by: Reignking | July 4, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Happy Independence Day everyone. Celebrate, eat, drink, party, enjoy and be safe. Victory to the Black and Red and the Red, White and Blue.

VAMOS UNITED!!

USA! USA!

Posted by: Kosh2 | July 4, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

What was up with the dude at the end of the clip?

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 4, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Great Win for ES.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 4, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he'd lost a contact lens?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 4, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

What was up with the dude at the end of the clip?

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 4, 2009 10:57 AM |

Pitch invasion by a Sallie fan. I think he went after the Costa Rica bench right after the 2nd El Salvador goal.

Posted by: richcadieux1 | July 4, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

it did look like an el salvadorean fan.

Posted by: castroviejo | July 4, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that would be a Salvadoran fan haha.

I can't wait for the game here in Miami vs Jamaica. I really hope the "Barra Azul" has as good as a presence in Miami as they did in LA. As for now, I'm celebrating the 4th with the Miami Ultras of Miami FC since I'm down south for the summer.

VAMOS SELECTA!

Posted by: jgadala | July 4, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

El Salvador is looking like an upset machine. Could it be that we are seeing the dark horse of this tournament?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 4, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Great environment at the HDC and an excellent game. Saludos to ES on the victory in front of a large home crowd.

Posted by: sbg1 | July 4, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

That guy running on the field was pretty bizarre. It took a few security guys to drag him off and then people threw stuff at him from the stands while security was dragging him out.

Posted by: sitruc | July 4, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

And what was funniest about that guy was that normally they intentionally don't show people doing that, and the guys running the Conacaf feed forgot, remembered after like 10 seconds, cut the screen to black, and then thought, "Ya know what? Screw it, they've seen it", and went right back to it.

Unrelated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qciWEufZ2xA

Also Unrelated: I don't know about up there, but, down here they're showing a lot of Mexcio tourism commercials during Wimbledon, and I'm really starting to want to go back, they really need to get their act together so I can.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 4, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Unrelated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qciWEufZ2xA

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 4, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

JkR et al. this one's for you.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 4, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

OT, but the photo gallery for this article is cool.
DC bike Polo in the Post.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 4, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

The MLSnet.com preview of the DCU-CLB game starts off with "Bitter rivals since the league's inception in 1996..."

WHAT?! Does anyone here consider Columbus a rival? I consider them a team we used to beat up all the time, and a team that is now actually good after 14 years and may contend for the title. Not a rival, though. You can say the same about the Dynamo, but they're not a rival. Weird way of promoting the game.

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 4, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Weird, it would appear by the reports on GoalSeattle.com no one is going to Gold Cup. I know I probably won't be going to Gold Cup at RFK, but it does create a lot of doubt about just how flavor of the month the crowds in Seattle are. They'll never get WCQ's with what I've read as a crowd of less than 10k...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 4, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 4, 2009 1:06 PM

Well, at least it was only 1:46....

Posted by: JkR- | July 4, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse