Sunday Open House

A wide variety of football activities taking place on this fine Sunday:

GOLD CUP
Quarterfinals at Cowboys Stadium
Costa Rica-Guadeloupe, 4 p.m. ET (Telefutura)
Mexico-Haiti, 7 (Univision)

MLS
New England-Chivas USA, 6 (Direct Kick)

WOMEN'S FRIENDLY
USA-Canada in Rochester, N.Y., 3 (ESPN)
In her hometown, Abby Wambach's pursuit of her 100th goal

CLUB FRIENDLIES
Inter Milan-Club America at Stanford, 7 (ESPN2)
Los Angeles-AC Milan, 10 (tape on FSC Monday night)

WPS
Sky Blue-Chicago, 4:30 (Fox Soccer Channel)
Gold Pride-Boston, 8

USA-Panama video:

By Steve Goff  |  July 19, 2009; 10:47 AM ET
Categories:  Gold Cup , MLS , TV , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: Monday Kickaround

Comments

Holy cleats to the stomach! Didn't the ref watch the Confed Cup? If Clarke, Klest, and Bradley were all thrown out for their tackles, Mr. Panama should have been tossed without blinking an eye.

Posted by: delantero | July 19, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I think the ref got it right. Yellow, not a red.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 19, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I think the ref got it right. Yellow, not a red. Posted by: GoUnited

Remind me never to play in your league or in a game you might be reffing. If that's not straight red, then nothing is.

Posted by: delantero | July 19, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Seattle v Chelsea is replaying on espn deportes. packed stadium and noise is just like in europe.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 19, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

The United-Colorado match airs again at 7:00 p.m. on CSN (mid-Atlantic). The Freedom-St. Louis match will be shown again at noon tomorrow. Tomorrow night at 9:00 p.m., there will be a rebroadcast of Freedom Reigns, which is a sort of infomercial for the principal tenants of the 'Plex.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 19, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | July 19, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I think the moral to the story is its only a straight red if its done by an American player.

But I also second delantero, I wouldnt want to play in anybody's league if that is not a straight red card.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 19, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I watched the replay again, and I still don't see why it should be a red. The Panamanian player is clearly trying to kick the ball, but misses and ends up hitting Cooper.

It's not like he attempted a slide tackle studs up and rammed into his shin.

I'm not saying the ref is a good one. In fact, I think he let the Panamanians (especially Baloy) get away with WAY too much. I just think that to give a red card in that situation would be very harsh.

I think that Blas Perez should have gotten a second yellow after he scored for taking off his shirt.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 19, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

You're in extra time in an elimination game, in the penalty area, and you fly through the air, both feet off the ground, and gut a guy. What's the thought process there?

Posted by: Reignking | July 19, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!

Seriously, the refs and the Panamanians all were carrying a serious grudge. Some of the "fouls" called against Ching were just magical thinking. He stands there, a player jumps on top of him, and falls over. Ridiculous.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 19, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoUnited | July 19, 2009 1:58 PM
__________________________________________

It appeared that his jersey was grabbed by Panama fans when he went over to celebrate with them.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 19, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoUnited | July 19, 2009 1:58 PM
__________________________________________

Posted by: universityandpark | July 19, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh, if that was the case, then never mind

Posted by: GoUnited | July 19, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

===

It's probably unprintable.

Posted by: mason08 | July 19, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

It seems that the Real World DC won't start airing until 2010?
Strange.
Even stranger is all the hate directed at them. Apparently their neighbors have anti blogs about them... hmm. Can't remember what agency used to be in that building, but I remember delivering a couple packages there in my courier dayz... 2000 S st NW..

Posted by: DadRyan | July 19, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Dude from Costa Rica just put in a bicycle (kick, Dadryan) at the far post in the 3rd minute.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 19, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

When I lived in San Diego, they were filming that season of the Real World, and they were pretty much universally despised for causing a scene wherever they went.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 19, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who think the cleats to the stomach deserved only a yellow: Watch the replay again. He came in two feet above the ball, moving his foot up as he went. He played the man's stomach, not the ball. I hope that referee doesn't get another chance at a World Cup semifinal.

Posted by: teeps | July 19, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Be interesting to see which game gets higher ratings -- Mexico-Haiti or Club America-Inter Milan? Or since they both start at 7pm, will they cannibalize each other?

Posted by: Juan-John | July 19, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Tonight is the second match of Aguiree's three match suspension, right?

Posted by: addick | July 19, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Abby’s 100th goal beats Canada.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 19, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

dadryan: I always wondered why the RW hadn't been to DC. I think that the city has always been reluctant to get permits, so MTV & co didn't bother. Of course, with Obama in the White House, they weren't going to take no for an answer this time.

Heck of a climb in Switzerland today.

Posted by: Reignking | July 19, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Costa Rica with an emphatic win over the Department.

Posted by: Reignking | July 19, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys. Quick question. I got a trip planned later this summer and will be in Chicago for the USA-Mexico match. Any recommendations for pubs/bars to watch it at? So far I have only heard of The Globe Pub. Thanks for the help.

Posted by: terptilldeath | July 19, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terptilldeath

The Tilted Kilt, in the Loop. Not a soccer bar but the waitresses will make up for it (assuming you're male or Lesbian). There are plenty of TV's and it's a good drinking establishment.

Posted by: KireDCU | July 19, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Some girl is running around the field hugging players and nobody realizes that the game is going to PKs as players leave the field and exchange shirts. Good stuff, ESPN, Inter Milan and Club America.

Posted by: sitruc | July 19, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Nobody knows the rules. Club America coach said he didn't know about PKs after regulation. This is a mess. Red cards will serve as a suspension for the next match too...

Posted by: sitruc | July 19, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

The 4-0 Mexico victory over Haiti was much closer than the scoreline suggests.

Inter skies a kick and the next America shot is saved only for the AR to say the keeper came off his line early. For whatever reason Jose Mourinho was on the field afterwards. Club America gets two points for the PK victory. From the red cards to the penalty kicks, that was bizarre.

Posted by: sitruc | July 19, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Sitrc-
Assuming Harkes read the rules correctly, those red cards will result in suspensions because they were for Serious Foul Play. Had they been red cards for second yellows because of say, entering or exiting without permission, or even straight reds for DOGSO with a foul or handling, I don't think suspension occur.

Of course, the above assumes that Harkes read the rulebook correctly.

Posted by: mason08 | July 19, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

That is asking a lot of Harkes, mason08. Regardless, both teams looked clueless through the entire ordeal. Even ESPN seemed confused by it all and it sounded like both teams eventually agreed to go along with penalty kicks. I didn't tune in until the final 30 or so minutes. Were the announcers actually at the match or were they in a studio in Bristol/LA?

Posted by: sitruc | July 19, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

were there red cards in the INterAmerica game? I watched some, flipped a bit to Gold Cup but settled on re watching a lot of the DCU match(well, the goal scoring barrage part anyway). Loved the Namoff header, and Gomez/Fred/Emilio's Goal is the reason we will win the MLS Cup this year. Well, I think Gomez may be the reason the fifth star gets got this year...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 19, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

BTW AC Milan/LA Galaxy video streams are flowing for those who don't have FSC or simply don't wanna wait for the replay tomorrow night.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 19, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Uhh, never mind

Posted by: DadRyan | July 19, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 19, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

http://www.justin.tv/punxeliminatorias/old is not so bad.

FYI - Onyewu is not in the 18 for anyone who was interested in seeing him play tonight. And it looks like he'll have a new jersey, #5 is being worn by Flamini (had 84 last year) 22 is taken also. The other Confed Cup for AC Milan Pato is not in the squad either.

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | July 19, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Gooch went to Milan for his physical alst monday, then went back on holiday. He joins the team tomorrow in Atlanta, and will be available to play saturday.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 19, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

LA just scored on a counter off a corner that went from Beckham, to Donovan, to Gordon. Thing of F'n beauty that was.

Beckham long ball over the top, Donovan in behind the d, goalie came out, Landon one times it across the box to Gordon who took full advantage.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 19, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

thnx for the link JfATLish. You going to the game in ATL?
What is the story on DAvid not wearing long sleeves now? He realizes more chicks in America will actually dig seeing the ink? Has he joined Suicide Boys yet?;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 19, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

are both of these guys normal FSC types on the mic?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 19, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Anytime Daddy-O. I am. Section 238.

I don't know what's up with the short sleeves. I can't decide if I like them or not. I like wearing them, and like players that do, but he always wore ones that were pretty loose, so it never looked totally right to me, so...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 19, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Gooch not supposed to play in Atlanta, either.

Jacob, I'm in some section up top.

Posted by: Reignking | July 19, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

And the color guy does games on the sideline for FSC, and does the play by play when they have two games and Bretos is doeing the other.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 19, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, if I had to pay for my ticket, I would have been up there, but luckily a friend owed me from buying a Hawks playoff ticket for him, so we got one that was equal cost, and that's where it was. Club level in the corner.

Overall, not a bad game so far. Enjoyable enough, seems like the Milan players are trying, and the Gals are holding their own.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 19, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Hope you guys have fun at the game this weekend.
Still intrigued by Beckham's sleeves. There has to be a story behind it. HIs wife's girlfriends advice? Marketing? It's not the heat. I'm certain it's not the heat. He sons telling him their class mates don't believe he has tattoos? He's trying to "wear his heart on his sleeve?"
He did tell Matt Lauer that he got a new flowery band tattoo for his wife!? Anyway. I don't know if Goff can crack the Beck's sleeves conspiracy, but maybe someone else can.;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 19, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

"He is a charming guy"
These guys are d-bags. Shut UP!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 19, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching the Gals getting a slurping sound for audio instead of commentary?

Posted by: sitruc | July 19, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he mentioned it on his facebook or twitter...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 19, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

dude, what are they talking about? WE Might as well be calling the thing!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 19, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

@sitruc:lol

Posted by: DadRyan | July 19, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

This is some good drama in LA.
2-2

Posted by: sitruc | July 19, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Did Beckham nearly get into a fight with the Riot Squad at halftime? There have been a lot of boos for him and they have quite a few anti-Becks signs and banners.

Posted by: sitruc | July 19, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

They've been hard core against him since kickoff. Everybody has lightened up on him except them.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 19, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Becky actually played like he gave a **** tonight.

Posted by: sitruc | July 19, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Ronaldinho was announced MOTM
The match ended in a 2-2 tie.

Posted by: sitruc | July 20, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

So, Ronaldinho goes 90. Playing pretty well. Likely only gonna see him for 45 Wednesday. Oh well.

Fun game to watch.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 20, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

I hope Onyewu plays in Baltimore

Posted by: ssdesv | July 20, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

I think we are all hoping for that ssdesv I know a big bunch on my group of 97 would like to see him play

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | July 20, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Onyewu is supposed to play in Batlimore.

Posted by: Reignking | July 20, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | July 20, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

This is so crazy. I have never heard of these many goals. From BBC: Villarreal began their preparations for the new season in style with a 27-0 friendly win over minnows Navata.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 20, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse