Sunday Open House

From the Swamps of Jersey to Bridgeview, Ill., from Foxborough, Mass., to Arlington, Tex., and Fenton, Mo., it's a busy day of futbol in America:

GOLD CUP FINAL
USA vs. Mexico
Giants Stadium, 3 p.m. ET
Fox Soccer Channel, Univision

WORLD FOOTBALL CHALLENGE
AC Milan v. Inter Milan
Gillette Stadium, 5 p.m.
ESPN2

Chelsea vs. Club America
Dallas Cowboys Stadium, 7 p.m.
ESPN2

WPS
Washington at Chicago
Toyota Park, 4 p.m.
Webcast

Gold Pride at St. Louis
Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park, 6 p.m.
Fox Soccer Channel

Looking back, here's the video clip of Claudio Lopez's goal from midfield against the Galaxy.

By Steve Goff  |  July 26, 2009; 9:45 AM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Gold Cup , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: Gold Cup Matchday: USA-Mexico

Comments

The only game I'm interested in is the US v Mexico.

I'm really not interested in this "World Football Challenge". I've had enough with these outfits that bring over a team collect a paycheck and leave.

I truly see NO long term value locally for our teams if they do not involve both financially and on the field our League or National Team.

I for the life of me can't see what paying $100 for one of these games and buying a Chelsea shirt is doing for the US game.

Posted by: dcufan53 | July 26, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

DC United is not going to win anything this year with this team. I didn't see it and don't see it now. I don't want to believe it but sadly I just don't see it.

Gold cup, I heard it is sold out today!!! Hopefully we don't stink.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 26, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I see the benefit. It creates so much buzz and exposer to a lot of casual none soccer people and make them realize they have missed something special and start loving and appreciating the game.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 26, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

On the contrary, we should win it this year, we have the best offense. We just need to put 90 minutes together.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 26, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

For those that care and have 45 minutes to kill:

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 26, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

__________________________________________

That pretty much describes, say, a Rolling Stones concert.

__________________________________________

Probably nothing, but so what? Like a Rolling Stones concert, it is a spectacle for the benefit of those who, unlike you and me, think it is worth paying that kind of money for. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 26, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Well there goes my day...3, 5, 7 PM.

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | July 26, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

In a previous thread, someone mentioned a Gold Cup pregame show on BSPN2 (especially noteworthy since the match itself is on FSC and Univision).

Posted by: universityandpark | July 26, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone else here play soccer on the regular? There are several reasons soccer is not popular in the U.S. and here is a not so obvious one:

Every time I watch a direct free-kick, a goal is scored like 15 % of the time! I mention this particular play b/c the player has no immediate defense for 10 meters! I can score a direct free-kick more consistently than these 'professionals' can. No wonder soccer can't catch a break in the U.S.!

Go USA. If we beat Mexico with our B-/C+ squad then Mexican soccer sure isn't what it used to be.

Posted by: Vicc | July 26, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Is there an injury update on Krieger and Spisak?

Posted by: universityandpark | July 26, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

In a previous thread a few days ago, there was a query about sports bars that offered free WiFi, so that one could, say, follow today's Freedom Webcast while also watching the Gold Cup final or whatever else is on the telly. Out of curiosity, I've done a bit of searching (limited to Northern Virginia), and so far I've come up with Ireland's Four Courts in the Court House area of Arlington. Are there others that people can recommend?

Posted by: universityandpark | July 26, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Random thought on why there should be no more silly friendlies during WPS season: Is it any coincidence that two of the best players for the USA last Wednesday were the underage Tobin Heath and Christine Nairn?

Posted by: universityandpark | July 26, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

@ Vicc: your direct free kick thought is questionable? While you may be able to do it at what ever level you are at, lets remember the goalies at the international level are pretty good. I played D2 soccer for a regular top 25 team and played 3 yrs pdl and hardly saw free kicks flying in regularly. Also, I hardly watch soccer for the goals. I just re-watched the Lyon Bestikas game on Gol Tv just because I enjoy the ball movement. Nothing is more impressive to me then a slicing pass by Xavi. Look closely at how impressive and technical some of the top level players are.

As for the World Soccer Challange, I think Alexi Lalas actually hit the nail on the head on this one during is commentating of the La Kc game. He stated that this tournament and the attention it has drawn by the American public shows that a huge body of soccer fans exists. We just have to push the domestic game to a higher level and bring these fans aboard.

Also, I have to give ESPN credit recently. Showing double headers of MLS games on Saturday. Doing a pre-game show for a game not even shown on their network. Covering all of these silly World Soccer Challange games. Discussing, while brief, soccer of PTI and Around the Horn. ESPN is truly putting in effort to promote the game of soccer.

Finally, a bit nervous for USA today. Logan Pause and Heaps scare me to death.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 26, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps an injury update on Scurry would be in order, too. Is it possible that that assistant coach will be the backup keeper again today?

Posted by: universityandpark | July 26, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

If those three venues sell out we are looking at 200k+ fans attending soccer matches on one day in the US. Outside of the World Cup I can't imagine we have ever achieved those kinds of numbers. Sponsors and media take notice which increases revenue available for soccer in this country which means in the long run a better product with better finance. So in my humble opinion the World Football Challenge does bring some tangible benefits to the USA's soccer future.

Posted by: csd1 | July 26, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

The Green Stars (for that is what they are today) have a flip throw specialist, whose name I did not catch.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 26, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I watched the 1st 10 min, had to leave and didn't get back till now 0-4 Mexico.?.

Congratulations Mexico,

We'll see you again soon.

Posted by: Vicc | July 26, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Ref for AC Milan-Inter Milan... hilarious

Posted by: sitruc | July 26, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Goff: I hope you can get video of Long's goal for us all to see tomorrow morning (or even later tonight). That was one for the highlight reels.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 26, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

==============

Agreed. WPS is very good about putting up highlight reels. Keep an eye on this page:

Posted by: kevinwparker | July 27, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Is there an injury update on Krieger and Spisak?

==========

Krieger is suffering from back spasms, and Spisak pulled her quad. The roster report ( http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/roster-report.aspx ) lists Krieger as questionable but doesn't list Spisak, so presumably Nicci Wright is off the hook this week.

Posted by: kevinwparker | July 27, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse