Surgery for Khumalo

Thabiso "Boyzzz" Khumalo, whose right wrist was fractured by a kicked ball in the final moments of D.C. United's 2-1 U.S. Open Cup victory over Rochester, will have surgery Thursday and be sidelined two to six weeks, the club announced.

His injury is described as a "fractured distal radius and dislocated radial-ulna joint."

Best-case scenario: He will require a cast only up to his elbow.
Worst-case scenario: The cast extends to his biceps.

We'll know more details after the surgery.

By Steve Goff  |  July 22, 2009; 1:05 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Few Minutes With Payne, ButragueƱo
Next: Video: United-Rhinos

Comments

Best of luck Boyzzz!

Attention DC United - Moreno and Emilio aren't getting younger and it's about time we bought an attacker next year.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | July 22, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Stay strong, Boyzz.

Man, was I pissed at Rochester's keeper for dribbling within 5 yards of Boyzz (while he's lying there with his wrist pointing the wrong way) and booting the ball upfield to continue play. There was about a minute left in the game at that point.

Poor, poor sportsmanship.

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 22, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

It wouldn't be DC United unless someone was playing with a cast on his arm.

Posted by: ussccr | July 22, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

No bones about it, this is a bad break for United. The club needs to arm itself with another forward before it snaps its winning streak. Cast the nets wide, I say, and pin down a goal-scorer that will hand us the title.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 22, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Let's recall Tino from the Nats.

Cheatin' Bob doesn't seem inclined to give him any playing time, and our depth is thinning with these injuries.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 22, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

...and that's why those in the wall on a free kick put their hands where they do.

F=MA, fellas.

Posted by: troy6 | July 22, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Call back Tino? And deprive them the one dangerous player they have off the bench? If we keep winning, it's all good. But I'm starting to get depressed by the lack of quality from our opponents.

Anyone heard the rumblings about Livorno's bid for Donovan? I like it.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 22, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

joedoc1, I hope you're banned.

Posted by: sitruc | July 22, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Do we have to wait for jkr, or can I just present him with his card?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 22, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

TOTALLY off-topic, but is this true?
"When Beckham signed his US$6.5m-a-year five-season contract with the Galaxy two years ago, the deal included a get-out clause that would kick in after his third season, to allow him to sever ties with the MLS in November 2009. Yet, to smooth his loan move to Milan at the end of last season and remain in Fabio Capello's plans with the national team, he agreed to the removal of the clause. Now, should any team wish to secure his services, they would have to pay a fee. Otherwise, he will remain a Galaxy player until the end of the 2011 season."

Posted by: nairbsod | July 22, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beltwayrob | July 22, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I broke my wrist (well severely fractured in three places) and I had to have the darn cast half way up my bicep. Not fun. Good luck Boyzzz!

Posted by: beltwayrob | July 22, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know of any good transfer rumors websites?

Posted by: spikeman | July 22, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

JoeDoc, I'm jealous of your malpracticed facility with the English language.

The team website said they would have video of last night's game up today but it's not up yet. I wonder if it really exists.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 22, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of video that may not exist, TMZ says they have the LeBron dunk video, set to air tonight.

Would it be lame to throw it on the dvr while I'm at the game?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 22, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

@nairbsod -- First I'm hearing of that. Every piece I've read or heard starts from the premise that Beckham can leave at the end of this season.

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

nairbsob,

In an interview Becks did last week I heard him say that his buyout clause was gone as part of the extension at Milan and he would be with LA for the full duration of his contract. I took that to mean that he is at LA through 2011 and there is no more buyout possibility.

Posted by: LWPA | July 22, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

@Joel_M_Lane, I Googled "malpracticed facility" and came up with "Maryland SoccerPlex."

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 22, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

random thought -- those dudes playing ultimate at halftime of the United game saturday night were damn good and entertaining

Posted by: OWNTF | July 22, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know of any good transfer rumors websites?

Posted by: spikeman | July 22, 2009 3:31 PM |
-----------------------------------------------------

Funny thing about those transfer rumor sites....They're always full of rumors about people like Ronaldo, Beckham, Ribery, Puyol, etc.

Never rumors about people you've never heard of.

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Get well soon Boyzzzz.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 22, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

@ fischy

Your right I have never heard of Beckham, Ribery, Ronaldo, etc. Who are they? Should I google their names?

Posted by: no_recess | July 22, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

fischy, you should check out the YA "Official summer transfer rumors thread" at BigSoccer.

David Blumer?
Guiseppi Nazzani?
Luis Gil?
Bob A. Booey?

Posted by: Reignking | July 22, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 22, 2009 2:06 PM

*******************************
Do we have to wait for jkr, or can I just present him with his card?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 22, 2009 3:02 PM

********************************

Sorry, I was completely out of position, and would've needed help from linesman...

Joedoc may be hearing from the blog office...

Posted by: JkR- | July 22, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

well crap. Hope the recovery time is closer to 2 weeks than to 6.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 22, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking -- Luis Gil is awesome. He'll be directing the USMNT attack in about half a dozen years...unless Charles Renken can make a full recovery from his knee injuries.

But Bob A. Booey??? D'oh!

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Don't come down on joedoc too hard. I count 7 plays-on-words in one post. That's talent. I don't want to see relations amongst the SI regulars become fractured.

Straight red? Fair enough.

***

Khumalo's injury is definitely not what anyone wanted right now. However, I don't think this takes away too much of our depth. With Pontius, Fred, McTavish, and Szetela all able to play on the right, and Moreno, Emilio, Pontius, and N'Silu all available up front, we are still deep at the positions he plays. When Quaranta returns, we'll get even deeper.

If you put a gun to my head and said one DC player has to be injured for the next 6 weeks, Khumalo would be near the top of the list purely on the depth we have at his positions. Obviously with the ridiculous load of games approaching, we can use as many players as possible, but this is far from the worst case scenario.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 22, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I took a shot to the hand once like Boyzz, luckily I did not break anything, but my hand was numb for an hour. I thought I shattered my wrist/hand. I was lucky. Since he has to have surgery I would guess the recovery time will be closer to the six to eight week time frame. Boyzz is young and hopefully is a fast healer.
Good Luck Boyzz. With any luck he may be ready for the open cup final since he got us there!!

Posted by: jjfooty | July 22, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

JacobfromAtlanta-ish, I have now seen both videos.

Posted by: sitruc | July 22, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, guys, give me a ...

Oh, forget it.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 22, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah sitruc, I watched em when I got home. Fairly impressive. Guy really elevated.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 23, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc: when you wrote that post, were you sober or plastered?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 23, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse