Szetela Excused for Few Days

Midfielder Danny Szetela, acquired by D.C. United through allocation this week, has been excused from the club for the rest of the week for family reasons. He trained with United yesterday but returned to his home in New Jersey and won't report back to DCU until Sunday. Szetela probably wasn't going to be eligible for Saturday's match against Colorado anyway -- the club is still awaiting his international transfer certificate -- and might be available for the U.S. Open Cup semifinal Tuesday against Rochester at Maryland SoccerPlex.

By Steve Goff  |  July 16, 2009; 2:18 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: Ching Fined by MLS ..... for Tweet

Comments

whew. I saw the headline and thought we got rid of him already.

Posted by: nairbsod | July 16, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

The USOC Semifinal against Rochester which won't have ANY TV or video-feed coverage...

Posted by: DrewROC | July 16, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Hope he just wants to see them again.

But this stuff always makes me anxious, as "family reasons" is the umbrella for just about everything, from a daughter's operation to, say, going back to Brazil.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 16, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I hate that I'm such a creeper and know this, but he's going home to go to a wedding.

Thank you, facebook. Better than a press pass.

Posted by: jonfhoffman | July 16, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Add me to the group at first worried and then relieved.

Posted by: sitruc | July 16, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Thirded on the initial panic from the headline and then relief from the content. Perhaps a better word choice, Senor Goff?

Posted by: VercengetorixII | July 16, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@ jonfhoffman: I am going to agree and say that it is creepy, but I find your methods hilarious.

I hope he plays in the USOC as I plan on attending.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 16, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Danny isn't here right now Mrs. Torrance.

Posted by: Section117 | July 16, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

That's weird, why isn't the Rochester/DCU game on USLlive?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@Dad -- I would expect it will be on USL-Live. That shouldn't dissuade you from coming out to the Soccerplex. It really is a great place to to take in a game. The Rhinos should have a strong fan contingent (that's contingent, not contingency -- FSC announcer guy), so we need to give 'em a show of our own. And traffic up I-270 isn't bad after 7 on a summer Tuesday.

Posted by: fischy | July 16, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I read somewhere that Danny's mom was sick and thats why he went home.

Posted by: kris77 | July 16, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Payne,

Please excuse my son Daniel as he has come down with the flu. Please send any necessary video home for him to study. I hope that he will be well in time for Tuesday's test against Rochester. Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Szetela

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 16, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Danny is not committed.....

Signed,

Landycakes XOXO

Posted by: Charisma_Man | July 16, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

fischy, the game isn't on the sched. at USLlive. Hoping that changes. Believe me, I've wanted to check out a game at the Plex for quite some time, but I am in a very tight spot right now cash flow wise. I'm still looking around the house for something I can sell on Ebay so I can go to the Firpo match... Seriously.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

And traffic up I-270 isn't bad after 7 on a summer Tuesday.

Posted by: fischy | July 16, 2009 3:31 PM
------------------------------------------

And let us not forget White's Ferry.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 16, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Soccerplex isn't equipped to put the game on USLlive. There won't be any live video of this game...

Posted by: DrewROC | July 16, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

DrewRoc: I don't get it. How'd Toronto provide a live stream from Blackbaud in the Carolina Challenge Cup? Does the Plex not have running water and electricity or what?
Maybe Comcast could pay DCU back with this match for the one they preempted during the NHL playoffs?
If not, I'll just be enjoying the radio broadcast again I suppose...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Remember when his signing was a big event on TV? That was when MLS (Marketing League Soccer) was on its roll with young signees (Adu et al). What happened? this big US signing soon left for overseas and now he's back. I hope he doesn't have Zack Wells on speed dial. When is MLS going to be come aware of the reality that if it continues to make marketing its sine qua non, it will continue to be taken lightly by the globa lsoccer community.

Posted by: lgm6986 | July 17, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse