Telemundo(s) for USA-Mexico

The USA and Mexico will play a World Cup qualifier on Wed., Aug. 12 at Azteca Stadium, a massive match that offers the Americans perhaps their best chance to end a lifetime of misery in Mexico City and an opportunity for El Tri to redeem itself after a wobbly start to the hexagonal.

But if you are planning to watch the 4 p.m. ET match on the family of ESPN networks as you usually do for a USA qualifier, forget it.

Telemundo has the U.S. rights to Mexican matches -- not just the Spanish rights, but the English rights as well. While the main network will carry the game in Spanish, Telemundo senior vice president for sports Jorge Hidalgo told the Insider today that his company will keep the English rights and show the match on mun2, an eight-year-old cable outlet geared toward a younger Latino audience that regularly shows programming with audio in English. The identity of the announcers, who will call the game in English, will be unveiled soon, Hidalgo said.

Telemundo is planning a one-hour pregame show, while mun2 will offer just a few minutes. The video feeds will be identical, Hidalgo said.

Since 2000, Telemundo has had a contract to show Mexican matches on U.S. television. For past USA-Mexico qualifiers at Azteca, the game would end up being shown on an ESPN outlet because the U.S. Soccer Federation had a formal relationship with Telemundo. But for the past two years.....

the USSF has worked with Telemundo's rival, Univision, which shows USA matches on its main network as well as Galavision and Telefutura.

NBC owns both Telemundo (available in most markets) and mun2 (30 million U.S. households).

Sources told the Insider that ESPN did make an effort to acquire the English rights for the USA-Mexico game. Telemundo, however, clearly sees the potential for a huge audience -- on both of its outlets.

"At the moment, where we are with these two teams, it's a time of tremendous interest," Hidalgo said. "There has never been so much anticipation."

We'll let you know if anything changes.....

By Steve Goff  |  July 14, 2009; 5:41 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Mexico , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Szetela Back to MLS?
Next: Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

I'm not worried about it. I speak Spanish, but I'll probably be watching in a bar in San Francisco with hundreds of other US supporters and I wouldn't hear the broadcast anyway.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | July 14, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

So much for watching the match in HD.....

Posted by: Becks_for_prez | July 14, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

surely NBC will put it on one of their major stations. i'm not worried.

plus you can always watch it online with a decent quality.

Posted by: you-dont | July 14, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Show of hands for people that actually get "Mun2"....

my hand is down. They would be stupid to not show this game on another network for those who do not understand spanish. I will actually be pretty pissed if they don't.

Posted by: kris77 | July 14, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

If this is the NBC familia of networks, they should get Al Trautwig from their Olympic coverage since I remember him doing Baltimore Blast games on WJZ-13 in the early 1980's, or at least I think I do.

Dan Hicks and Rowdy Gaines from their swimming coverage would work too. They might actually get excited when the American team does something.

Posted by: IamAM | July 14, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Are there any cable systems within a half-day's drive of Washington that carry this network? Is it the sort of thing that sports bars are likely to get via satellite?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 14, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

well, that sucks. Hopefully it gets resolved so more people can watch in English on a network the get if they want to. The only upside is that the announcers will probably be better.

Posted by: jake77 | July 14, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

mun2? Really?
That's hilarious. Can't wait to hear who will be announcing the game. Anyone want to take a stab at the English speaking announcers?

Posted by: oranjebleeder | July 14, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

The NBC connection is pretty interesting. Could they be noticing some of the positive ratings for intl matches lately? Who knows. Though if they were that interested they might have plead for a better kickoff time.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 14, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

All power to the Sheinhardt Wig Company!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 14, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Can't Telemundo just sell their rights to broadcast the English version to ESPN?

Posted by: GoUnited | July 14, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

it appears comcast digital carries mun2 in the reston market, where it is ch. 178. I belive it is part of the spanish tier b/c it's not coming in at the moment.

Posted by: getanewnumber10 | July 14, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

GoUnited: of course Telemundo *can* do that. The point here is that they don't want to -- not for any price ESPN would be willing to pay, anyway.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | July 14, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I look forward to watching the national team in HD on NBC4 :)

Posted by: Pedalada | July 14, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHA. Even though mun2 is in English, you can't see it on DirecTV unless you've purchased one of the Spanish language base packages.

Brilliant.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | July 14, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Show of hands for people that actually get "Mun2"
=========================================
Show of hands of people that hadn't heard of Mun2 (before this)? Hand up.

Fios in HoCo gets it on 275. I actually get it. Unfortunately, I won't be home - I'll be at Azteca (yeah, me) - being showered with beer (I hope it's beer)!

Posted by: J_S_F | July 14, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

ok so maybe christopher_a_metzler already answered my question...but what DIRECTV channel is Telemundo or Mun2?

id by the spanish package for a month to get this game...

Posted by: deadskin | July 14, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

@GoUnited: Grant Wahl quoted unnamed source as saying that the price for the English-language rights was "extortionate."

Posted by: addick | July 14, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

btw...what DIRECTV channel is this weekends game on?

i havent been able to find any of the previous 3 gold cup games...

Posted by: deadskin | July 14, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

also i put money on the us against panama...

considering the roster concerns...was that a bad idea?

Posted by: deadskin | July 14, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

You mean I wont get to hear Harkes' commentary? Oh no...... Seriously, what do the commentators really add to the match?

Posted by: hacksaw | July 14, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

What about putting the match on NBC-related Universal?...the channel with a lot of olympic type sports...also had the Giro (cycling).

Posted by: LAfanofSI | July 14, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

id really like to watch the us win this game in stunning HD

first the gold cup, and now this

why does us soccer have against HD??? they played so well in 1080 from south africa

Posted by: rhbancroft | July 14, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

i'm pretty sure i've seen mun2 on my cable system (Time Warner in NYC). never had any idea what it was, so if they keep the game then that means it will be the first time i watch anything on their station - which is exactly why they're going to keep it.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 14, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Well this sucks, no Telemundo or mun2 or whatever it's called for me. Come on ESPN, splash the cash so I can watch it. =(

Posted by: PEddy | July 14, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

My first reaction wouldn't allow my post to be seen. Then I laughed at the situation and Telemundo having the rights. The thoughts of NBC somehow getting involved gave me hope. Now I'm just complacent and don't really care. I just hope the announcers aren't horribly biased and wish it were in HD.
Most FiOS customers locally will find mun2 on 275. I searched for a channel finder, but couldn't find one. As others have said, it is 410 on DirecTV and 838 on Dish Network. Of course it is on the Spanish packages though...

Posted by: sitruc | July 14, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

All I need to know about mun2:
the menu bar on their home page lists "ppl" as an option.
Fire up the interweb, it's another afternoon of streaming video for me. Thank you, Mexico. *blows raspberry south*

Posted by: mjhoya12 | July 14, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

[voice="cartman"]
Lame.
[/voice]

Posted by: mason08 | July 14, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

gaaaaawdaaamn mexicans... (shaking my uhhhmerican fist)

;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 14, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually a little perplexed by this arrangement. From whom did Telemundo purchase rights? The FMF?

Doesn't the USSF have any rights of its own to sell/provide a feed to a local carrier? Have they just decided to honor this putative exclusivity? I'm just wondering who bound the US market in this way? This would never happen a European context, would it? Is it FIFA or CONCACAF that own/sell the rights?

Personally, I couldn't care less what language I watch it in. It's not like the commentators are at the game. They're watching on TV, just like me. If I need a running commentary, I can provide it.

My concern is I might not be in front of a TV. ESPN 360 allows me to watch online. Is Univision online in any way?

However, I'm sympathetic to those that think they must have some English-language talking head telling them what they're seeing with their own eyes. Especially for bathroom breaks. This just doesn't feel right. Why is this governed by whatever arrangement the FMF has with Univision? What about the USSF?

Posted by: fischy | July 14, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Is the problem here that Univision has some exclusive hold on the feed -- that ESPN doesn't want to provide its own feed?

Posted by: fischy | July 14, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

According to the mun2 website, mun2 is channel 422 on Cox Cable in Fairfax County. I'm in Reston and I have FIOS, so I guess I'm SOL.

It's also channel 410 on DirectTV and 838 on Dish Network.

Posted by: richcadieux1 | July 14, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

its channel 398 on my cable box here in OC (Cox Cable)

Posted by: targetmedia | July 14, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Fischy:

Under FIFA rules, all TV rights for international soccer matches outside the World Cup are held by the federation who is hosting the match (or the designated home team). Therefore, the FMF have the global rights to the game because it's being played in Mexico and can award it in any country to whomever they see fit (or opt not to award it if they want). Likewise, the USSF held similar rights when the two teams were playing in Columbus earlier this year.

Now for friendlies, home team's sometimes give up the TV rights to the visiting team's native country as part payment for playing the game. However, since qualifiers are mandatory, there's no way to force the home federation's hand. In other words, the USSF are out of luck on this one.

Posted by: Soccer_Jeff | July 14, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Like others, I need to have the spanish package to view the channel. WTF good does broadcasting the game in english if only people with a spanish package can get the game? Time to email US Soccer about this stupid arrangement.

Posted by: Becks_for_prez | July 14, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

What is MUN2 do I get it in Fios Alexandra land? I am not to pleased! I do not mind Telemundo as I normally watch Mexico WCQ to get a good laugh but I like to get upset at our commentators during the game for being so stupid. I need Alexi Lalas to tell the team to work hard during the pre-game show!

PS Bobbey Convey just scored against Bayern Leverkusen in 2001.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 14, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

^^^Soccer_Jeff , your comment seems to contradict Goff's original post. Or am I missing something?

Posted by: Becks_for_prez | July 14, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

The "home" team retains the broadcast rights for the match and can do whatever it wants with those rights.

The FMF sold the Spanish & English television rights to Telemundo. The USSF sold its rights to ESPN.

Telemundo could broadcast the match on mun2 as it was announced or it could be moved to another channel in the NBC Universal family such as USA, Universal HD, Universal Sports, or even NBC.

ESPN tried to purchase the rights but the price was "extortionate."

Posted by: addick | July 14, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Here is an idea. If telemundo is owned by NBC and we want this game on NBC why do we not barrage NBC with emails. There contact website is: (Scroll down for contacts)

I am emailing NBC sport, you can email who ever. NBS sport contact is:

nbcsports@nbcuni.com

Remember this worked in the last u20 world cup when everyone email and got the game switched from ESPN U or something to ESPN2.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 14, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Becks:

Addick summarized it better than I did. Go with that.

Posted by: Soccer_Jeff | July 14, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

I'd thought I'd read about Telemundo asking for a ton of cash from BSPN, but forget where or how substantiated that was.

Posted by: Section117 | July 14, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

That's good. for once I don't have to listen to JP's choppy commenting and JH's college dude talks.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 14, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

4-6pm on a wednesday. that's gonna be tough to get on NBC, id go for USA.

looking at tomorrow's tv listings. NBC has local news while USA has NCIS. i assume putting it on NBC would bring up all sorts of issues regarding local affiliates (hmm... wonder if we could at least get channel 4 to think about it).

what about NBC+ (the weather channel thingie)?

how do these thigns work for markets without the second telemundo channel? can local affiliates air the thing too?

Posted by: PindarPushkin | July 14, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps you use cable and aren't familiar with OTA, PindarPushkin, but there are actually three NBC channels now. They are 4-1, 4-2, and 4-3. NBC is 4-1, NBC+(the weather graphics) is 4-2, and Universal Sports is 4-3.

Posted by: sitruc | July 14, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

ot but Chelski v Milan game sold out in Baltimore. I will be watching on EEEEspn.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 14, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Kris, perhaps you did not understand Goff's explaination. The broadcast on Mun2 (which I actually get) will be in English.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | July 14, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

mun2 is channel 636 on Comcast and not available on RCN for those in the District.

this sucks. why mun2 and not NBC+, Univesal Sports, shopNBC, CNBC, MSNBC, USA, AMC, SciFi, Bravo, History, HistoryIntl, Biography, A&E, Chiller, Oxygen, or the Weather Channel.

(can't believe how many channels nbc owns. i seem to get them all except for mun2 and sleuth which arent available and universalHD which has been moved to an extra hd tier)

Posted by: PindarPushkin | July 14, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

NBC-Universal is not going to sell a rights deal to ESPN, nor are they going to play ball with the USSF.

During the last rights negotiation for the World Cup Finals (and other FIFA properties) NBC outbid ESPN, but the USSF convinced FIFA to go with ESPN because ESPN supports MLS.

Posted by: mediaman1976 | July 14, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

mediaman1976, I have no insight on this, but I was under the impression FIFA wants to get the domestic game more coverage and sold to ESPN with the agreement that they would broadcast MLS.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | July 14, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

It would seem that I get mun2 on AT&T U-verse. Even if I had to listen in Spanish (I'd most likely turn down the volume, which I sometimes am forced to do for English broadcasts when the announcers are just too damned annoying) I'd look forward to not having to see that f-ing espn2 ticker. It'll be nice to have the whole screen to look at for a change.

Posted by: DouginCMH | July 14, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

While we all hate the ESPN announcers, and I am one who does, this is ridiculous. Its a total lack of respect to the English speaking fan in America. I can watch the game on Telemundo if I have too, but what about HD? What about giving the larger non-soccer fan the option to watch this? ESPN usually does a decent job of promoting these things. Also fresh off the Conferderations Cup one would imagine this game could be used to attract new American soccer fans who love to jump of the band wagon of a good team. Think about the diservice this does to the average American fan. This is grotesques. No one who doesn't closely follow soccer will even know this game is being played. I am screaming mad.

I just sent NBC about a three PH email complaining. I hope others follow suit.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 14, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

70,000 is sell-out capacity. 71,008 is wiki capacity. Ticketmaster is still coming up with cheap seats, CUnitedFootball.

Posted by: sitruc | July 14, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I have crappy cheap, non-box cable from comcast in Arlington, VA.
While I suffer when FSC is broadcasting what I want to watch, I do get a heck of a lot from my trifecta of Telemundo,Telefutra, and Univison.

Now, tell me who's picking up CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE in it's entirety?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 14, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

As others have stated mun2 is Channel 275 on Verizon FIOS. FIOS subscribers are not SOL.

Posted by: croftonpost | July 14, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

@DouginCMH - couldn't agree more about the lack of a ticker. one of the great things about games not being carried by the ESPN family is not having to be bombarded with the same "news" about Brett Favre or an NBA free agent signing or some other piece of minutia over and over and over again over the course of 2 hours.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 14, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

@SonicDeathMonkey

I understood Goff completely. The problem is I don't get Mun2, which will be showing the game in english. Its part of a package I do not have, a package most people do not have. It would be nice to have it on a basic cable channel, in english.

I have no problem watching it in Spanish and probably will if they don't put it on another network, but I would prefer a game like this in english.

Posted by: kris77 | July 14, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

the games are more exciting in spanish anyway.
english announcers are so boring
i would rather feel the excitement pulsating through the announcers voices than listen to john harkes.

Posted by: castroviejo | July 14, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha Kris....sucks that you don't get it. Thank goodness for Justin tv and other streaming sites....I'm sure you can find it on one of those.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | July 14, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Attn: All People without Telemundo.

Looks like you will have to find a pub with a TV and Telemundo, have a brew, share the game with other Yanks and otherwise have fun. Sounds awful.

Posted by: delantero | July 14, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Just ridiculous that the USSF is apparently blowing a great opportunity to attract the casual fan to see an important, hard fought match. Us hardcores will find a way to see it, but still, this really, really, really sucks.

Posted by: popoki08 | July 15, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Andre Cantor could do the English commentating. He did a great job during the Olympics a few years ago. this assumes, a bad assumption I know, he isn't doing the Spanish commentating.

Posted by: BigBubba1 | July 15, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

I would rather watch it on Telemundo than Univision...
Univision is biased in favor of Mexico.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 15, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

I've got DirecTV and can't get Telemundo without a Spanish language add-on and couldn't get mun or whatever it's called anyway since I can't find it on the channel selections. It would seem that this would be perfect for NBC to put on its Universal network, assuming HD capability is available.

For mediaman, the FIFA rights were purchased by SUM, which is owned by MLS. It in turn sold them to ESPN, along with the MLS rights. This game with Mexico is a weird carve-out due solely to Mexico being the home team and the vagaries of its TV contract with Telemundo overriding the ESPN contract with USSF for WC qualifiers. This should be the last MNT's game not shown on an ESPN channel until after the World Cup.

Posted by: sportsbiz | July 15, 2009 2:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: popoki08 | July 15, 2009 12:02 AM
---------------------------------------

Except that the USSF didn't have the rights to the game.

The casual fan has had access to US-Mexico games for years now, and they do draw well on TV. Still, let's not overstate the issue: It's one game that won't be on espn2. And it is on another channel that many of us get and/or that's widely available in pubs. Casual fans won't much care, or even notice, that it's not on espn2. Maybe some would have been turned on to soccer had it been. But I assume not many would fall into that category.

Oh, and if the US gets beaten in Azteca (as has been the historical norm, obviously), I can pretty much guarantee that there will be people in here (and on BigSoccer) who are oh-so thankful that "this disaster wasn't shown on espn2."

The state of the economy really, really sucks. This is a minor inconvenience.

Posted by: DouginCMH | July 15, 2009 7:33 AM | Report abuse

The sad thing about this is that soccer was (slowly) gaining some momentum in the U.S. following South Africa. Now we have a huge match that might continue that interest and no one will be able to see it. Just poor planning if you're trying to grow the sport here.

Posted by: mikepcfl | July 15, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that Wednesday 4:00 PM will draw a huge viewing audience...

Huh?

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | July 15, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Mexico gets some revenge for NAFTA, all power to 'em. My Dish Network gets Mun2, but I prefer watching in Spanish anyway, even if I don't speak the language, the announcers are having way more fun.

Posted by: dcstranger | July 15, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

@mikepcfl,

Call FEMEXFUT - they PICKED the game time.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | July 15, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Just sad... If this does not show how 2nd or 3rd tier soccer is I do not know what does. OUR National Team on an All Spanish station. We (soccer) will not be taken seriously until we are the major networks regularly.

Posted by: Stevida | July 15, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

@Stevida,

Um, have you not noticed that the game time was PICKED by FEMEXFUT to accentuate their home-field advantage. They and CONCACAF could care less that it's the middle of the murderous work-day for the east coast.

They also care less that they're not cutting the USSF/ESPN in on televising it. Telemundo is a business and it's growing.

But again - your comment would look the same if you ID were Norman Chad.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | July 15, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Mexico is kinda being d!cks on this one, but oh well. HOpefully the disgruntled US fans can get over their sense of entitlement.

As delantero pointed out, it's an excellent opportunity to leave work early, call in sick, etc. and go enjoy the match in a pub with like minded folks. Great timing on the East Coast if you ask me, gotta be better than ducking out for Champions League and then coming back to work and playing off the pints you had at the bar...
:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 15, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

yep - a great excuse to leave work a bit early and hit a nice 2-for-1 happy hour somewhere.

thank you DouginCMH and VBB for continuing the battle against those who have a reading comprehension problem and who are only interested in the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments.

now, only 4 short weeks until our first win at Azteca!

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 15, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

i prefer the spanish broadcast anyway.

G-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-A-L!

Posted by: terpcentral1 | July 15, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

LIMARZI! LIMARZI! LIMARZI!

Posted by: OWNTF | July 15, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Dang, I guess I will just have to go watch the match in person.

In this regard, Sam's Army is still planning to announce its ticket package, but the Screaming Eagles have already made and announced plans. Currently available only to members, but it is about to be opened up to the general public.

Posted by: fentysupporter | July 15, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------\
which bar? where in san fran? just moved and need a place to watch!

Posted by: SkinsInSichuan | July 15, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

which bar? where in san fran? just moved and need a place to watch!

Posted by: SkinsInSichuan | July 15, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 15, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

RE: What is MUN2 do I get it in Fios Alexandra land?

mun2 is 275 on FIOS.

Posted by: thrh1 | July 15, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I agree, the spanish broadcast is the only way to watch the games on TV anyways (or at least in a foreign language where they actually give excitement to the game). The American's just try to take the life out of the game and pretend like they are youth coaches pointing out everything the players should have done better. It's awful

Posted by: GraciasRiquelme | July 15, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Although I'd prefer watching the broadcast in English, I don't mind watching it on Telemundo, at least the play-by-play will be done by the "original" and best play-by-play announcer in the latin community, Andres Cantor, and the color commentary will be done by, if not the best, one of the best Hispanic soccer analysts in the country, Sammy Sadovnik (Peruvian, like me). The good thing is that we do not have to listen to those pair of clowns
"La Torre de Jalisco" and old-man Bracamoment, those two are truly laughable.

Posted by: WillyJoel | July 15, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Most US fans watch games in SF at Mad Dog in the Fog. It is on Haight (Lower I believe) but I was always partial to the Kezar Pub (the DC United crowd would gather there to watch matches) as I lived near GGP.

Cheers,
James

Posted by: bs2004 | July 15, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Until now NBC's involvement with U.S. soccer outside the Olympics has been minimal. I've always suspected that that caused them to put less effort into their Olympic football coverage than they otherwise would have. (Remember the near-invisibility of the USA women's gold meadlists in '96?) After all, what is the point of making a household name of Jozy Altidore or Natasha Kai, when you won't be seeing them again for another four years, and when they will showcased umpteen times on your competitors' networks (mostly Disney and FSC) in the intervening years? I wonder whether this will be just a one-off exercise based on the peculiar circumstances of this match,or whether we will see NBC/Universal trying to land more such events in the future, and perhaps changing how they approach the Olympics.

Posted by: universityandpark | July 15, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

why are they putting it on MUN2 and not USA or something? for the same reason the NFL puts good games on the NFL Network once a week. if you want to watch, you'll get the channel.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 15, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

My hand's raised for never having heard of mun2 before.

Is is pronounced /mun-dose/ or /mun-to/ or is it /em-yu-en-dose/?

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 15, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

The good news is ESPN isn't showing it. ESPN would have been showing Jim Rome, and ESPN2 would have the World Series of Poker from 2006 or something on. And due to the fact that ESPN Classic would be showing XGames 2005 and ESPNU would be showing American Gladiators, then only ESPN 360 would be able to show it. Of course ESPN would have shown it after the 11pm Sportscenter, so i guess all would have been well.

I honestly don't care who has it, it'll be on somewhere, if nowhere else at a bar. Sounds like a good excuse to go drinking...."Honey, I have to go, its not on Time Warner cable, I have no choice."

Of course if NBC decides to air it, i'd be fine with that! But the less ESPN the better. They probably weren't offering anything realistic anyway.

Posted by: Brian76 | July 15, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I wanted to draw your attention to this important petition that I recently signed:

"Move the USA-Mexico broadcast to USA Network"

I really think this is an important cause, and I'd like to encourage you to add your signature, too. It's free and takes less than a minute of your time.

Thanks!

Posted by: rustico210 | July 16, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Complete and utter BS!!!!!. Just like "for English press 2, for Spanish press 1."

Posted by: zosodave | July 16, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse