Thursday Kickaround

*More than 50,000 at Georgia Dome watch Club America surprise AC Milan, 2-1, in the World Football Challenge. D.C.'s own Oguchi Onyewu made his debut in the second half for Milan, which will face Chelsea at sold-out M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore on Friday night (8 p.m., ESPN).

*Seattle management is not happy about the U.S. Open Cup final being awarded to D.C. United. If the Sounders' bid was anything other than playing at 1 p.m. on a Tuesday -- people in Seattle have jobs and DCU fans would've had to watch on TV at 4 p.m. ET -- they would've gotten it, no question.

*Danny Szetela's paperwork is expected to be finalized today, making him eligible to play for DCU on Saturday at San Jose. [UPDATE: Done deal -- he's eligible.] Read the full story about Boyzzz Khumalo's surgery. United officials confirm to the Insider that they are considering signing midfielder Ely Allen to a developmental contract. He was waived by the Galaxy this preseason after appearing in 12 games last year.

An FC Dallas signing, a Toronto friendly, a USA women's victory, a WPS result and today's TV listings on the continuation of this thread.....

*Dallas acquires Colombian left back Jair Benitez, waives former Maryland Terrapin Michael Dello-Russo.

*River Plate defeats Toronto on penalty kicks after a scoreless draw before 20,000 at BMO Field.

*Another USA-Canada women's friendly, another American victory -- this time, 1-0 in Charleston, S.C.

*In WPS, St. Louis moves back into second place with a 1-0 home victory over fourth-place Sky Blue.

*Soccer on TV:
Gold Cup semis, USA-Honduras 7 p.m. ET Fox Soccer Channel, Telefutura
Gold Cup semis, Mexico-Costa Rica 10 p.m. FSC, Telefutura Univision

By Steve Goff  |  July 23, 2009; 9:50 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , TV , U.S. Open Cup , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-Mexico TV Saga (Continued)
Next: A Soccer Education

Comments

Dear Sounders FC Front Office,

Sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 23, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, everyone and his mother knows AC Milan is in for trouble this season, that goals will be scored against them. Everytime one does, haters will jump up and down and point at the American.

Come on, Gooch. Do us proud.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 23, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Onyewu came on and was responsible for Milan giving up a goal about 5 minutes later. Ouch.

Posted by: georgejones5 | July 23, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

re-posted from last thread:

So apparently it's going to be Donovan to Serie A. I like it, considering his complete elevation in play whenever he plays Italy (or Italian club sides -- e.g. AC Milan vs. Galaxy).

Plus, it sets up Donovan vs. Beckham next spring.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | July 23, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

A bit random, but has anyone else stumbled upon the Guardian's Beckham v Donovan gallery. The link showed up on my yahoo page this morning - some "interesting" creations were submitted. Wonder if this should be considered good publicity for the league?

Posted by: emanon13 | July 23, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I'll be at the game for sure, but I'm not sure If I want to be surrounded by mean, grean and loud hooligans.

I'm being sarcastic btw, I hear Sounders fans travel well and are awesome. Bring it on.

Posted by: zizou1972 | July 23, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

@psps23 ,

Yeah, that's what I thought. But it looks like Milan are incapable of buying Beckham, according to reports. Which is stupid, as they need someone to bring in cash and interest.

Wouldn't it be funny if Donovan became the Serie A star and Beckham became the MLS mainstay? HAHA.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 23, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Dang it! I turned off the TV just as Nairn came on because I had to put the kids to bed. Next time, they're staying up until the game is over.

Canada has some good chances in the 2nd half and was unlucky not to have 2 goals. Hope was outstanding on Sinclair's breakaway.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 23, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I would also be interested to know what criteria USSF uses to decide the hosts. My guess is avoiding artificial is high on the list...but that doesn't explain Seattle being selected over Houston. Unless Houston had stadium conflict issues or something.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 23, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: georgejones5 | July 23, 2009 10:05 AM

I think that's way harsh on Gooch. He should've done better , but

1) It was a great ball, and

2) The keeper stayed on his line while a long ball came into his penalty area. I don't think it's unfair for Gooch to think that anything over his head should be taken by the keeper.

Just another perspective.

Posted by: JkR- | July 23, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

What's up with Hanauer frontin' like he doesn't know how the Open Cup bidding process? Wasn't part of the management for the USL Sounders? All Seattle does is complain. "Time wasting", "everyone's fouling us", whaaah, whaaaah.

I still am skeptical that they'd get their "sell out" crowd for this match. I will never believe anyone that tells me the majority of the Sounders STHs are familiar with the Open Cup.

You can't use money to get everything you want, and yes maybe there are some drawbacks to playing in a stadium right next door to the baseball team. Guess what, DCU fans don't care. Tough toenails Sounders. You already got the MLS Cup so give it a flipping rest. If you can't come here and win on the road then you don't deserve the trophy.

DCU really needs to counter all this bs with promoting the heck out of this. We as supporters really need to be at this match. I went last year and it was awesome. Best memory of last year's season by far. I think getting a respectable turnout at RFK or at the very least a loud and good looking one, will send these folks crashing back to earth like getting spanked by Chelsea did.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 23, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

* 18-year old local Maryland player Christine Nairn scored her first international goal last night to give US WNT the win in yet another scrimmage with Canada.

* With all the focus on WPS, I had forgotten how much fun it is to watch Tobin Heath.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 23, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

to which I would add, Freedom keeper McLeod was awesome for Canada and I agree with 270 that Solo was huge against Sinclair 1v1

Posted by: OWNTF | July 23, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Open Cup bidding process works...
Wasn't he part of...
Sorry, long morning already at the dentist... Let's just say I was already irritated before I had to read some more Pac NW Wine and Cheese notes.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 23, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

This is hilarious - I think I"m warming up to Beckham. Sorry - can't stand Donovan . . . he'll go to Italy and be home in a month.

Posted by: LCR-54 | July 23, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Hanauer - you can stop whining now. You couldn't offer anything better than a 1pm weekday kickoff, so deal with it. Now selling tickets at RFK - that's on us, agreed.

Posted by: Pedalada | July 23, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I think Gooch to AC is a huge gamble. I hope I'm wrong but I see him in a never ending cycle of riding the pine and riding the train to some obscure 2nd rate loan destination a la Freddy Adu.

I don't think he has the disipline or finesse to play in Italy. I see him as more of an inforcer for an English Champoinship club. He might even thrive in Centrial America.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 23, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"They had a road through all lower-division teams to get to the Open Cup Final."

Forgetting the play-in game against FC Dallas just to get into the field?

Also, you can't fault a team for beating the teams placed in front of them. It's not DC United's fault that Harrisburg beat New England or that Wilmington beat Chicago earlier in the bracket making DC's semi-final between Wilmington or Rochester.

And are they seriously whining about D.C. getting home games in the Cup? Let's see...

1. Real Salt Lake @ Sounders
2. Colorado @ Sounders
3. Sounders @ Portland
4. K.C. Wizards @ Sounders
5. Houston @ Sounders

So of their 5 U.S. Open Cup matches, 1 was away and 4 were at home? Sounds like a hollow argument to me.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | July 23, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Ok. Now I can say it:
Enough with the friendlies with Canada--.

I realize that the Japanese pulled out earlier this summer due to swine flu fears.

I realize that it is relatively cheap to play the Canucks.

I understand that we are looking at some young talent just like the Canucks were--

But with the Euro coming up, they couldn't try and bring over one of those teams to put in some work???

I hope that we don't play Canada for another couple of years because I doubt that I will bother to even watch...

Posted by: yankiboy | July 23, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Both the reporter *and* Hanauer got it wrong. DCU had to get past *two* MLS teams (Dallas and NYRB) just to get to the Round of 16.

And why does the final date HAVE to be the first week of September? Why couldn't USSF have moved it to the following week to accommodate Seattle's (supposedly) higher bid? Not that I mind TOO much, of course... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | July 23, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Ely Allen has six goals and six assists for the Seattle Wolves of the PDL. He was drafted last year by the LA Galaxy as the 21st pick. He also has two MLS goals. From what I read about him he can play both forward and in the midfield. I think if he sticks he is definitely worthy of a developmental roster spot.

Posted by: no_recess | July 23, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

9Nine9 - I think you summed up the glass half full perspective that I (and probably a lot of us) feel. But I'm going to stick with the half full - it's great that he's there and let's hope he steps up and thrives - perspective.

Gooch is now a veteran defender, he's seen and experienced a lot. He can draw on some of that in an effort to rise to his competition. Freddy is still just a kid that's easily pushed around on the pitch - Gooch is certainly not. If it doesn't work - he'll find the right club via loan or transfer.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 23, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Ugh - ^ that should be "half empty" and "half full". I'm special today.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 23, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Seattle whines a lot on the field and off.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 23, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

re: Gooch

It was a long, somewhat floating cross that landed on the 6. Obviously Gooch expected (hoped) the keeper would make a play for it. And vice versa.

I'm sure the ACM brain trust won't make too much of it, nor the fact that Gooch turned in some really fine plays at forward in the dying moments.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 23, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

The more I read Hanauer's comments, the more I think they were made to deflect anger from Seattle supporters away from the club and toward the USSF. The Seattle fans are upset that none of the Cup matches were held at Qwest.

As far as DCU getting all home games the past couple of years, if the club wants to pony up the money to host Cup games here, it's hard for other teams to beat the situation the club has. DCU has almost maximum scheduling flexibility between the Soccerplex and RFK. And the surfaces for both are natural and in relatively good shape.

Posted by: dancreel | July 23, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

@ no_recess

Ely Allen may well be decent, but I can't say I'm a fan of DCU's recent trend of picking up players off of GaLAxy's scrap heap:

Quavas Kirk
Kyle Veris
Josh Wicks

Only one of those players has stuck (though really, I don't know that Wicks is the best plan for a long-term #1). I guess it's just the principle of picking up players from losers that bothers me most.

Posted by: combedge | July 23, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

9nine9, I agree with you on one point: He would dominate in Central America. But only because he would be the best player in the region, easily.

He's on this team for a reason, let us not forget.

The first goal was just a lost in translation. He and the right back had been pointing back and forth at the player, and then eventually, he ended up open. I thought it was on Gooch solely from my angle, but then the replay on the videoboard showed the goalie could have likely gotten the ball in the air. Other than that, he was excellent. They weere worried about him on set pieces, mostly shyed away from him on the attack (especially in the air), his simple presence calmed down a potential frackas. I'm happy for him, and think this is a good move. (Here's a link to my mostly poor pics from the game: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=90902&id=613219439&l=befa1a8905)

I'm not so sure how down for Donovan to Livorno I am, I think he could do better, and do think Spain is a better fit.

I agree, the Seattle guy is just demonstrating for his fans, he knows the deal.

Now that my hopeful European adventure is out of the question, I'm reconsidering the Madrid game...
Somebody talk me out of it.

Maybe I could swing that Galaxy game at RFK though...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 23, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

COACHED BY SHAWN Medved, whose claim to fame as a player is that he scored the tying goal in D.C. United's memorable comeback against the Los Angeles Galaxy to win the inaugural MLS Cup in 1996, the De Anza Force pulled the biggest upset on Day 1 of girls play at the U.S. Youth Soccer National Championships when the California team trounced the defending national champion Dallas Texans Red, 4-1, in under-16 play -- with all four of its goals coming in the first 25 minutes.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 23, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Goff but I must call you on this:

"people in Seattle have jobs"

Not as many as used to. And even of those that do, we are able to skive off work to take in 90 minutes of footy usually.

Doubt this? Take a look at the past 4 years of ESPN's UEFA Champions League numbers in Seattle vs the rest of the nation.

I can tell you that had the final been at Qwest they'd have had the same crowd you get at a 1pm game on Saturday.

US Soccer botched this but then again, that should surprise no one.

"...and DCU fans would've had to watch on TV at 4 p.m. ET -- they would've gotten it, no question."

And this is why your East Coast bias is going to look very silly come 2011 with Vancouver and Portland in the league.

One thing is certain the tide is turning those media outlets -will- cater to us as we will sell out nearly every game and provide a good atmosphere.

Likewise we will support those media and bloggers who supported us and we have long memories up here in the Pac-NW.

And so what if DC fans had to leave work early to watch BOO HOO! You love your club, then support it!

Posted by: member8 | July 23, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Somebody talk me out of it.

Maybe I could swing that Galaxy game at RFK though...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish

Well, I'd rather see CR7, Kaka, Casillas and Raul half-ass it for 45 minutes than Beckham half-ass it for 90.

Posted by: Brian76 | July 23, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

member8,

I beleive you have missed the point that a nationally televised (FSC) game in the evening in DC will be a bigger audience than 4 (eastern). Seattle had a bad hand dealt with logistics and scheduling conflicts. that is too bad and I am sure you all will have other opportunities to host games such as this. but for right now, it will not work. You have to get past that and support your team where ever they are playing. It is not DCU's fault, nor their fans. Good luck.

Posted by: LWPA | July 23, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

member8, you are tool-like. Our owner put in a better bid than your owner, at a better time for TV. Get over it.
Such a great supporter? Book a dang flight. I hear United is a good airline :-)

Tuesday afternoon bids rarely get taken seriously, nor should they.

Posted by: dcufan | July 23, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

whoops CR9, i dont think he's taking Raul's jersey

Posted by: Brian76 | July 23, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Oh please, member8, over-egging the pudding a bit?

Posted by: JkR- | July 23, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

member8, this isn't brazil. we all just can't leave our jobs in the middle of the day when a game is on. :)

Posted by: nairbsod | July 23, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I have no idea who member8 may be, but I certainly know Driver 8:

"The walls are built up, stone by stone
The fields divided one by one
And the train conductor says
"Take a break driver 8, driver 8 take a break
Weve been on this shift too long..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 23, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Please forgive the Beckham discussion for a bit, but i just noticed this little tidbit in an article from yesterday that I was reading on the Guardian's site:

"When Beckham signed his US$6.5m-a-year five-season contract with the Galaxy two years ago, the deal included a get-out clause that would kick in after his third season, to allow him to sever ties with the MLS in November 2009. Yet, to smooth his loan move to Milan at the end of last season and remain in Fabio Capello's plans with the national team, he agreed to the removal of the clause. Now, should any team wish to secure his services, they would have to pay a fee. Otherwise, he will remain a Galaxy player until the end of the 2011 season."

Is that true? Goldenballs gave up his out-clause just to stay in Milan for two more months? I thought he still had the out-clause and had every plan to exercise it to return to Europe on a free in the January window...

Posted by: combedge | July 23, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

@member8

Are you for real? DCU fans love their club. We marched in DC to get a stadium. What are you talking about? We are not new to this we are true to this. DCU has been around way too long and had one of the first fan clubs in MLS called the Screaming Eagles. Bascially what I am saying is that your team is a recent phenomenon. Don't get carried away! Go back to your football stadium and watch your soccer team play on the wrong surface.

Posted by: no_recess | July 23, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I have to side with member8 as a Sounders fan this makes no sense to me. To pass up a crowd that would have been several times larger to show an empty stadium to an incredibly small tv audience makes little sense. If it turns out that US Soccer left money on the table to take the D.C United bid I will be very upset. Plus the time slot in Seattle is 4pm meaning your running the game at a poor time for your largest potential viewing market.

Posted by: Gilby2 | July 23, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

$$$ - everything else is BS

Posted by: J_S_F | July 23, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Member8, Seattle didn't invent supporter atmosphere in the US. The Barra, Screaming Eagles, and La Norte have been rocking RFK since 1996.

All you have is a 99.9% white crowd, wearing a jersey and holding a scarf.

Let us know if ECS ever actually do a tifo display worthy of mention.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 23, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

1 PM on a weekday for any final is STUPID. That's not really that tough to comprehend.

Of course Gooch expected the keeper to get it -- Gooch misjudged it and had no chance at it.

Posted by: Reignking | July 23, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

@alecw81
RE: ECS
and not paid for by Drew Carey...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 23, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Man, these Sounders fans sure know it all for being around for 6 months, don't they?

Posted by: the_slammer | July 23, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

USOC is not a big enough tournament for people (nationwide) to leave work early or take long lunches as we would for CL.

How is it "East Coast bias" to state that DCU fans would have had to watch the match on TV at 4PM? The earth rotates in one direction. Don't blame us East Coasters for that.

(Note to all other East Coasters: please don't tell member8 of our conspiracy to prevent the Earth from rotating in the opposite direction because we want to listen to the liberal news on NPR before the fly-over states do).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 23, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

And the surfaces for both are natural and in relatively good shape.

Posted by: dancreel | July 23, 2009 11:08 AM

My two cents... the pitch at the SoccerPlex is sublime. One of the best surfaces I've seen in this country. Perfectly manicured and planted/maintained purely for soccer. So it's the right composition and length. Unlike a lot of the American football grass in shared stadiums. Just kudos to the SoccerPlex folks.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 23, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Boy I'm fed up with these cry babies. I'm shunning Seattle, the Sounders in general and Drew Carey and Lil Fredy and Bald Freddie in particular; I'm shunning heroin and skeevy white street kids with dreadlocks; I'm shunning Starbucks and Tully's and herbal tea; I'm shunning Kurt Cobain and Nirvana and Jimi Hendrix and Pearl Jam. I'm shunning Meg Ryan no matter how young she looks, just because she was in that Seattle movie.

And I'm shunning member8.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 23, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Are you saying people in Seattle can leave work for a match at 1 in the afternoon, but can't get to a television for a 4:30 start, Gilby2?

Posted by: sitruc | July 23, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Sounders supporters:

I welcome you and your fellow Pacific Northwest brethren to MLS fandom. I think it's a great thing for the league and US soccer in general.

But a 1pm weekday time for a televised tournament final is not going to fly no matter if your club can pull ~20K to the stadium. Even if Seattle's bid was more than DC's that really hurt their chances to host the final.

Now, you've just been given the keys to a shiny new team who plays in a nice stadium partially designed for soccer. Your excited about your team and ready to show the rest of the league how good you are. I am glad for you and a bit jealous.

But you might want to check yourself before you start calling the dedication of DCU fans into question. I'd be interested to see if your club could regularly pull as many fans to a crumbling, near-50 year old stadium. Would there be this much excitement 13 years from now if the Sounders were still playing in the Kingdome (or Memorial Stadium for that matter) with no better prospects in sight.

Are DCU fans a bit jaded? Sure, we're more used to this and it doesn't mean quite the same thing as it does to you. And it's up to us to get out to the stadium to support our club. But just remember to keep it in the back of your mind that if it wasn't for us long-time DCU fans (and Columbus, San Jose, Dallas, etc. fans) sticking with a fledgling, under-funded league, you wouldn't have had a chance to play in a Cup final with a Division 1 team.

Posted by: dancreel | July 23, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

member8,

Why did you do that to yourself? You see, it isn't an opinion so much as a brilliant attempt to not make us have the slightest shred of amicability and or tolerance for you.

Mission accomplished at 11:25, AM.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 23, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF: If we don't hear from you again, we'll assume that you've also shunned Microsoft.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 23, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey Seattle, IF you make it to the Open Cup Finals next year AND you're the defending champions THEN you can host it.

Posted by: ImWithStupid | July 23, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

sitruc my argument is that people in the downtown core and in the city getting to stadium would not be a problem and wouldn't even require them to take the day off.

In terms of the TV market we've drawn a 4 rating in the Seattle metropolitan market which equates to 70,000 households and 150,000 viewers.

So yes I don't think my arguments are mutually exclusive, 30k would leave leave work early to go to the game and yes by starting the game at 4 local time you miss out on a portion of the much larger regional TV market.

Posted by: Gilby2 | July 23, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow, 150,000 viewers. And how many viewers nationwide will be lost to accomodate those 150,000. You know, I'm gonna say more than 150,000. The world does not revolve around you. Get over it, you lost the bid. get pissed at youir front office about it, not DCU or their supporters.

Posted by: LWPA | July 23, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Seattle's "offer" of 1 PM means that the management didn't really want the game, or didn't even expect the team to make the finals.

Posted by: Reignking | July 23, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

50,000+ in Atlanta on a weeknight in a football stadium. Even I'm impressed. Well done to the city of Atlanta. I think MLS is definitely in our future.

Posted by: AtlantaMLS | July 23, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Now the Sounders bloggers/Twitterers are out in full force. The main one I follow made all the regular arguments for hosting the game in Seattle, but conveniently forgot to mention anywhere that the game would have been played at 1pm on a Tuesday.

Q: What soccer games do we in North America regularly watch on television at 1pm on Tuesdays?
A: Those played in other countries (and usually in big tournaments).

Oh, and Sounders fans, unless all 150,000 regular TV viewers would have come out for the Cup final that means some would be actually watching it on TV. Objectively, do you think more people would be able to watch a game at 1pm local time or 4-5pm local time, because those were going to be the only two choices available.

Posted by: dancreel | July 23, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Atlanta should indeed be pleased with the event, but international friendlies are a poor indicator of attendance or interest in an MLS match on a sleety Wednesday night in October vs. Kansas City or Dallas (Or some other team without the benefit of a Marquee player)

Posted by: JkR- | July 23, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

LWPA ESPN's nationally broadcast MLS games reach about 200,000 Households or about 400k people. The FSC broadcast reach about 1/2 that because less people have the channel and there is no HD. That means that the Sounders local coverage comes pretty close to outdrawing the national games on FSC so no I don't think you are going to lose more than 150k in viewers by moving the start time to 4pm EST.

Posted by: Gilby2 | July 23, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

"50,000 at Georgia Dome watch Club America surprise AC Milan, 2-1, in the World Football Challenge."

Clearly, Atlanta hates soccer.
-------------------------------------------

"River Plate were without many notables, including forward Ariel Ortega and midfielders Marcelo Gallardo and Diego Buonanotte. "

Clearly, Gallardo hates MLS.

The feeling is mutual.
-------------------------------------------

"DCU fans would've had to watch on TV at 4 p.m. ET"

There's going to be TV coverage? Wow...

Posted by: fischy | July 23, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

What do you know gilby2 actually does think the world revolves around him. Grow up. You lost the bid. It is not DCU's fault. Get mad at your front office for screwing up. And then support your team like a good supporter and we will suport ours. Good luck.

Posted by: LWPA | July 23, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gilby2 | July 23, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Seattle is part of the U.S., right? I may not be a statistics whiz but I'm pretty sure that you can't have more local viewers in Seattle than the U.S. as a whole.

Posted by: Golden_Child | July 23, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the USOC bid; FSC is televising the game. FSC paid a rights fee to USSF to broadcast the game. FSC wants to maximize advertising revenue on the game. USSF wants to build up the tournament and continue to collect future (hopefully more expensive) rights fees for the USOC final. A 1 PM weekday start would not help either of the above objectives. Thats they way I see it. It was a no brainer for USSF.

Posted by: sbg1 | July 23, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

DCU fans would've had to watch on TV at 4 p.m. ET"

There's going to be TV coverage? Wow...

Posted by: fischy | July 23, 2009 1:13 PM

Don't get your hopes up. I hear from various unnamed sources that DCU and USSF are conspiring to have the match dropped from being televised and have the game played in a locked down stadium with no fans allowed.

The final score is rumored to be DC 6 Seattle 1 (although the lone Seattle goal-to-be is currently under secret review).

Posted by: dancreel | July 23, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

You picked a bad week to shun heroin, OWNTF.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 23, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Changing subject:

Tobin Heath double nutmeg versus Canada. Check out Pia's fist pump at the end of the slow mo . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | July 23, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

good point Golden_Child. And I just looked at subscriber #'s (households that get FSC) for FSC, over 34 million. I am willing to bet at least 200,000 of them will watch.

Posted by: LWPA | July 23, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Golden Child the stats I quoted were for the local coverage of Seattle games vs. general MLS games on FSC so yes a local game in Seattle can and has exceeded the national viewership of an FSC MLS broadcast.

Posted by: Gilby2 | July 23, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Do you have a link to your data?

Posted by: Golden_Child | July 23, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR-

Better than nothing!

Of course, had 20k shown, we would be reading that Atlanta is an awful sports town and should never have an MLS team.

Posted by: Reignking | July 23, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

i never would have expected that the seattle mariners would be responsible for winning home field advantage for dc in a cup final. thanks, ichiro!

Posted by: stairs | July 23, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, to some extent.

I think the majority of fans there definately would support an MLS team, and I don't just mean a passing interest. The majority of fans were not there to root for a club they grew up supporting. I do fully intend upon finding a way to build support in this town, be it grassroots, talking to the "important" people, etc, as last night gave me hope it is a reasonable goal.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 23, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stairs

Japan loves DC United.

Posted by: Reignking | July 23, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

This is a breakdown of the rating for nationally televised games on ESPN2. ESPN2 is available in 70 million households versus 34 million for FSC.

Glenn Davis rights about Seattle local TV ratings in the middle of this Blog Post.

Posted by: Gilby2 | July 23, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

From Behind the Badge:

"General Manager Dave Kasper informed us this morning that Danny Szetela's International Transfer Certificate has arrived at the League offices from Italy. The club's newest signing will be available for selection this Saturday when United travels to San Jose to face the Earthquakes. Tune-in to Fox Soccer Channel 10:30 p.m. ET for the potential debut of Szetela."

Posted by: spikeman | July 23, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gilby2 | July 23, 2009 1:53 PM

No, he doesn't. Look, I'm all for wanting this game at your stadium, who wouldn't? That said, it's done. Move on. Watch the game. Cheer. Best of luck, I suppose. Vamos United.

Does the Szetela news means we can't keep blaming the Italians?

Posted by: Brian76 | July 23, 2009 11:36 AM

I don't own anything DCU yet, but have a Real Madrid jersey and scarf, I'd love to be there. But the tickets cost twice as much, and with the game on a Sunday, it cuts down my travel options. I'd rather be able to do a day or two of sightseeing as well. Also, as odd as this may sound, RFK is a big selling point to me.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 23, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I was a week off with when my football season starts. No trips/games for me it looks like.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 23, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 23, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@ Gilby2 - Your data shows that 73,185 households watched 1 Sounders game (no data was presented for the rest of the season) while the lowest ESPN2 number so far this season has been 132,000 and a high of 254,000. You can add another 20,000-60,000 households on ESPN Deportes nationwide. Seattle does not outdraw nationally televised games. It does not come close.

Don't get me wrong, Seattle has done some amazing things and the fan support has been phenomenal. However the networks run as a business. They know that there is no way a 1 PM weekday game will draw well and there is no way a local markets interest will outweight the entire nation.

I an a DCU and USMNT fan, but I enjoy watching games at Qwest because the atmosphere is great. DCU coming back to tie the game 3-3 was great to watch (even if I did have to wait for softball to end).

Good luck the rest of the season. Hopefully I will be watching DCU at Qwest in the MLS Cup!

Posted by: Golden_Child | July 23, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

this is the first thing that hasn't gone perfectly for the Sounders in a dream inaugural season. imagine if they had real problems. like players going to jail for assaulting women or something. get over yourselves. you've been here all of 6 months, and clearly your ownership doesn't know how the USOC bidding game is played. not DCU's fault. and if its such a big deal to your club and city, youd think something could have been worked out about the baseball parking....

Posted by: VTUnited | July 23, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

on a positive note though, it is refreshing to have another MLS club who takes the USOC seriously. Congrats to Seattle for that!

Posted by: VTUnited | July 23, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh stop whining, Seattle.

Your nickname stinks.
Your jersey colors stink.
And stop behaving like we owe you something because you're new to the league.

Posted by: Cerealman | July 23, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Last night I went to the Freedom-sponsored fundraiser at Garrett's in Georgetown that had been advertised in previous threads on this blog. I had a nice time, but it didn't make me want to go back to Garrett's anytime soon, at least not for anything soccer-related. They insisted on keeping the loud music piped in from another part of the establishment, so we only got the video part of the FSC broadcast. I'll have to leave it to others to say what they thought of Dave Johnson and Lori Walker. Further, the beer selection was pretty anemic.

It was hard to root against Canada with McLeod in goal.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 23, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@Seattle: and our Domino's pizza is better than yours!!!!!!

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 23, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

This result is favorable for the Freedom on balance, insofar as they now have a game in hand vis-a-vis Sky Blue.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 23, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

@Seattle

[smackTalk=on]

Somebody call the whhaaaambulance. You can't outbid DCU, and you can't out score them either.

[smackTalk=off]

Posted by: mason08 | July 23, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

These Seattle fans are making me teary-eyed for the Melbourne Victory supporters when SI was just an infant....Good times, good times

Posted by: Josh8 | July 23, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | July 23, 2009 11:22 AM
------------------------------------------

I believe Soccer America should be credited on this item.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 23, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Pretty stoked my pipe dream of a "Battle of the Washingtons" is growing legs. When I left Seattle I had a lot of fun trying to pump up the Seahawks/Redskins rivalry amongst old friends as a talking point. That fizzled before too long, so naturally I was excited when the announcement was made that Seattle would be joining MLS.
Things might start getting ugly on facebook...;-)
Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 23, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yankiboy | July 23, 2009 10:54 AM
------------------------------------------

Just so long as it's not France.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 23, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey Golden Child I was extrapolating the ESPN2 numbers and cutting them in half because the FSC install base is half that of ESPN2. And given that the ratings Davis sites are for a home game I assumed an away game would draw a larger audience.

In the end it will be a great game I'm just mad I have to pay for a plane ticket to D.C. If United out bid Seattle I have no complaint if the U.S Soccer picked D.C because of a television time slot I think they made a mistake.

Posted by: Gilby2 | July 23, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@cowfield, yes youre right, my offense

@joedoc, great minds think alike, see newest thread

Posted by: OWNTF | July 23, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

@Gilby2, no worries. It looks like our FO's are dueling it out on the new SI thread.

If they actually promote this game we might get double last year's attendnace (about 16,000). If more people care because DCU is doing much better this year and we are playing a MLS team we may get closer to 20k. Unlikely, but I can dream.

See you there!

Posted by: Golden_Child | July 23, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

That's just not how it works though, Gilby2.

Posted by: sitruc | July 23, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Linda Goodman’s, Tesla Purple Positive Energy Plates are now available in INDIA
Processed & Developed by VEDIC RESEARCH & INNOVATIONS, Uttranchal, these plates are designed for LIFE LONG USE on Human Animals & Plants. These are UNIVERSAL FREE ENERGY PRODUCTS [Pran] & are the only Natural Tools to provide protection from ELECTRO MAGNETIC RADIATION which results in all kinds of COMPUTER RELATED INJURIES, ie- Pain, Stress, Fatigue, Depression, Suicidal Tendencies, etc, etc.
It is a Multiutility product, which PROVIDES RELIEF WITHIN 20 MINUTES in MIGRAINE, BACK PAIN, SPONDALITIES, NAUSEA & VOMITING ,Cuts, Burns etc, etc .No body contact is necessary. It’s a perfect Pain Reliever & u wouldn’t have to rush to HOSPITAL for a sudden Spondalities attack or a SUDDEN
For !!! INSOMNIA,EPILEPSY & OTHER MENTAL DISORDERS, place the Tesla Plate beneath the pillow & Experience the blissful SLEEP & improvement in EPILEPSY from day one.
Keeps flowers & food enerzised
Web:purpleenergyproducts.com
Please visit for catalogue!!!! http://s642.photobucket.com/albums/uu148/teslaindia_photos/
Linda Goodman’s Superb Tesla Purple Positive Energy Plates may be the RIGHT GIFT for someone near & dear, who wants to relax, sleep better, meditate, block out unwanted noises, enhance concentration, or feel more alert, comfortable & ENERGISED.

Posted by: purpleenergy | July 29, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse