Thursday Kickaround

*All-star games are about entertainment, and the MLS squad joined Everton to provide just that before a capacity crowd at Rio Tinto Stadium outside Salt Lake City on Wednesday night. Stuart Holden set up both goals in regulation -- a dreadful pass deep in MLS's end to Louis Saha, the other an endline cross to MLS teammate Brad Davis -- but the star was USA national team goalkeeper Tim Howard, who made two saves in the penalty kick tiebreaker for Everton. Read about it here. Video highlight package here. What did you think of the game?

*The Washington Freedom took a step closer to securing a WPS playoff berth with a 1-0 victory over Boston. Abby Wambach scored in the second half for the Freedom, which had a player advantage for 85 minutes after Alex Scott's red card for a hard challenge. Expect a fine for Breakers Coach Tony DiCicco, who said of the referee: "He's over his head. Most of the referees in this league have been over their heads." Read Paul Tenorio's match report.

*The Puerto Rico Islanders love the CONCACAF Champions League. After reaching the semifinals of the previous tournament, the USL1 side began its latest quest with a 1-0 first-leg victory at Toronto in the preliminary series -- another setback for MLS following D.C. United's disappointing 1-1 tie at home against Firpo on Tuesday. Things are looking up, though -- the abysmal Red Bulls play W Connection tonight.

*Americans abroad (league play):
D Michael Orozco 90 minutes in San Luis' 1-1 tie with Club America

For today's TV listings, keep reading.....

*Soccer on TV:
12:30 p.m. AC Milan-Boca Juniors ESPN Deportes
2:30 p.m. Bayern Munich-Manchester United ESPN Deportes
CONCACAF Champions League, W Connection-Red Bulls 8 p.m. FSC, Galavision
CONCACAF Champions League, Herediano-Cruz Azul 10 p.m. Galavision

By Steve Goff  |  July 30, 2009; 9:55 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , England , Freedom , MLS , TV , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: All-Star Fever
Next: Weekend TV Listings

Comments

I didn't see the red card, was it legit? DiCicco has been whining about the officiating all season. The league has to do somoething about that. I didn't see the play, but with all the busted legs at SoccerPlex this year, I'd say throwing reds at double-studs-up challenges is a good thing for the league.

Heather Mitts and Cat Whitehill both got embarassed 1v1 last night; Pia can't be happy about that. On the other hand, LePelbet looked awesome; Pia should be happy about that.

Ally Long has sick touch.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

DiCicco may have felt hard done by at the moment of the tackle, but it was a textbook red card. Player left her feet and made stud contact on the plant foot of the Freedom player.

He probably made those comments before seeing the replay. After seeing it, one might think he would agree with the call.

As for TFC, I guess that United result doesn't look so bad considering two things: 1 - TFC had a full strength side (Guevarra was missing due to injury) and people seem to want to dismiss that Firpo was a draw away at Houston last year from making out of group play.

Posted by: ARickey | July 30, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I'd say the red card was legit. Sonia must drink her milk and cookies cuz I was surprised she didn't get her leg broken.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

The Commish needs to man up on this one (so to speak), as this is a repeat offense. "Yo Tony. Shut ya mouf."

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

All star game shoot out was fun to watch. The game was more entertaining with the American keeper battle. I read elsewhere that Ljungberg had to go to the hospital after the game due to his migraine troubles again.

Good for PR, Gaudette is a sick keeper, and the most amazing waster of time I've ever seen. Hope for his sake he doesn't ever have to play in Seattle, or he may be buried under plastic bottles...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know how many other All-Star Games went to stupid PKs? As far as I'm concerned, MLS played Everton to a draw. It's still unbeaten.

Posted by: Juan-John | July 30, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking just the opposite DadRyan. Sonia is the return of Gumby.

Posted by: sitruc | July 30, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Missed the Freedom game. I watched the Toronto, Islanders game. It was an alright game. Truthfully, the Islanders committed highway robbery. They had no right to win that game. Shots where something like 8-1. Oh well that's soccer. I was pulling for Toronto as I want an MLS team do advance. I also find it interesting how Toronto could afford to play most of its starters and we couldn't.

As for the result looking bad for Toronto, I don't know. The Islanders made the semi-finals last campaign. In retrospect I think both Toronto and DC did enough to win except finish. If Sohen plays a strong line-up I would still give DC strong potential to advance. Just my opinion though.

I then moved over to the MLS All Star game and it was fine. Good entertainment. Felt bad for Zach Thorton. David Moyes looked awkward laughing on the sideline over the re-entry of Keller. Donovan should move to another league. His nutmeg of Baines was top class.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 30, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Juan-John, on top of that mlsnet.com said the match would end if it was a tie. There would be no PKs or extra time.

Posted by: sitruc | July 30, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan you right I kept half expecting Gaudette to end up standing in a foot of beer for all his time wasting tactics. He is a good goalie though.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 30, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

@grubbsbl: I'd guess that TFC's coach is under a little bit more pressure to play their starters when 20K show up on a Wednesday night for Champions League. It really would be nice if DCU wasn't so focused the stupid Real Madrid match to actually pay attention to what some fans would deem more important. TFC seems to be more in touch with what their fans want than DCU don't you think?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John

What would Bud Selig do?

Posted by: Reignking | July 30, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Agree with everyone on this. DiCicco is off his rocker.

I thought the color commentator, the Ohio St coach, had an off day. Her comments alleging that Fabiana took a dive were inappropriate. Fabiana was in the air and her leg was swept.

Still don't understand why Sonia was moved to left back when the team was up a player.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I think that comment bears no resemblance to reality. The Madrid game was almost 2 weeks after the CCL game. On the other hand the game was sandwiched in a week that began in California and ends with the Dynamo game coming up 4 days later. That had more to do with lineups than anything.

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Loved hearing Dave Johnson on the Freedom game last night.

As for the All-Star game -- I forgot all about it. If my two boys discover my error... ugh.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 30, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

DiCicco really needs to decide what he wants to complain about. First he complains about how the refs aren't protecting the skilled players enough (i.e Kelly Smith) from getting hurt, but when the ref actually does protect a skilled player (Sonia) by showing a red last night he is in over his head. Seems a little contradictory to me. Either way its a fine and hopefully something a little stronger than last time - that community service obviously didn't help him.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | July 30, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Any reason the MLS All Star trophy is larger than the World Cup trophy? Phil Neville didn't seem to know what to do with it hold it up, laugh at it, etc . . . seems a bit silly for MLS to over glorify the game with that behemoth.

Posted by: delantero | July 30, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

There were large stretches last night when Harkes didn't say a thing. It was awesome. Need to go with one announcer for matches and get rid of the stupid color commentary.

Posted by: hacksaw | July 30, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"Any reason the MLS All Star trophy is larger than the World Cup trophy?"
Posted by: delantero | July 30, 2009 11:20 AM

1. Because we're American, or should I write AMERICAN!

2. The size is a security feature. The Jules Rimet trophy was stolen in 1983. No-one will ever steal the MLS All-Star trophy (or want to).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

You talking to me fischy? If you are, I think you are, I'm pretty sure you don't get my drift. I'm not saying that the Real Madrid game has anything to do with lineup changes, I'm saying a lot of SI commenters were scratching their heads when Soehn rolled out a team full of guys who've got ZERO chemistry, in a match that we should have come out and pounded Firpo. I know TFC's season ticket holders probably got that match for free, but please don't try to tell me that if 3k showed up they would have played a mostly starting XI. Houston is on top of the league, but they've got an injured keeper last I checked and a bunch of guys who're probably trying to recover from Gold Cup, not to mention the Allstar game. I liked our chances with an experimental lineup down in Houston in the hot hot heat. What was the point of Qualifying to Qualify for this tournament if they aren't going to take it seriously?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

now i get it - RBNY has been playing possum all year so that they can turn it on in the CCL. they'll make MLS look good and finally win some hardware in the process. hey, where's everyone going?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 30, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Definitely a legit red card - those spikes we not even close to the ball and it was potentially a leg breaker. Overall, the ref was way above the WPS average for games I have seen this year (OK, faint praise, but he wasn't in over his head).

Posted by: sportsparenttoo | July 30, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2009 10:04 AM

Yeah Mitts didn't look to good last night - although I have never been a fan. She got beaten by Abby on the goal and then the nutmeg by Sonia was classic. Mitts also had some choice words for some of her teammates throughout the game.

I actually thought Cat did a decent job, besides getting turned around by Kelly Smith and allowing her to get that shot in stoppage time, but Kelly Smith can make almost anyone look like a fool. In the first half Cat looked solid and had to cover for Gilbeau a couple of times - of course she was on the other end of the field in the second half so maybe I missed something.

LePelbeit is solid - glad she is finally healthy again.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | July 30, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm wondering, with all the trouble the USMNT is having finding a left back, why Michael Orozco wasn't given a look at the Gold Cup? Yeah, we all know what happened against Nigeria with the early red, but look at what happened in South Africa. He's not the only American to get tossed for a boneheaded mistake. I didn't see the Olympics games, but it sounded like Orozco played well. Looking back it seems that Bradley has used Orozco as a center back, but he played left back for Nowak.

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

*Soccer on TV:
12:30 p.m. AC Milan-Boca Juniors ESPN Deportes
2:30 p.m. Bayern Munich-Manchester United
ESPN Deportes
=============

Yo no tengo ESPN Desportes!!!

(Did I write that correctly?)

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 30, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Rosetta Stone is paying off, JoseMedicoUno.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Muy goodo!

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 30, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@joedc1: aka the pundit aka celebrity (saw your comments in the paper this morning)-

yep, you got the Spanish right.

Posted by: yankiboy | July 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

@grubbsbl: That's how the Islanders roll. Puerto Rico plays away games, especially against superior competiton. It was completely predictable. Even Cummnings was wringing his hands quoted in the Canadian press talking about "I told my boys what to expect, I told them how they play and how they would probably score..."

Posted by: yankiboy | July 30, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh, you had an extra "s" in Deportes.

"Desportes" means "I am a knee-jerk, left-wing, radical, liberal who wants in socialized health care and full gun control." Isn't it nice how all of that fits into one word in Spanish?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh, you had an extra "s" in Deportes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1

Leave off the first S for Soccer.

OR

I think he was pronouncing it with a Catalan accent.

Posted by: Reignking | July 30, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan I agree with you. Though I would have figured that the home match would have been the match to play our regulars. I mean, play our starters Tuesday get a result, go on the road Saturday with our starters and battle hard against an understrength Houston, and then batten down the hatches and bunker away in El Salvador. Instead, we went halfway Tuesday night and half our starters ended up coming off the bench and playing 45 to 45 plus. We got a draw and now we are in a no win situation. I am not saying Sohen should be fired, just that he lacks vision to see the bigger picture. Plus, I take great pride in the fact the DC regularly qualifies for these tournaments, and that we even won one. I like to laugh at other MLS teams for not being as successful and it bothers me we are throwing in the towel for this competition.

Also, I think TFC fans do put more pressure by attending but I myself couldn't justify going to Tuesdays game. I mean a 22 dollar ticket, plus a 6 dollar rip-off ticket master fee, plus like 8 dollars round trip metro, then at least 1 beer -another 8 dollars- and I am down close to 50 bucks. If DC would have lowered the price to say 12-15 I would have been in. As a student going into grad school on a measly summer job budget I couldn't afford that.

I also am totally against this Real Madrid game. And I see our FO sole focus on it hurting other competition like the CCL. Can any real fan attend? The crowd is probably going to be families who attend one regular season game. All we are doing is tiring out our own players in the toughest part of the season. Does Namoff really need to defend KaKa and baby Ronaldo? Unless we are reaping significant rewards financially -which I doubt we are- then this is stupid. I even tried to coax my dad into paying for the game by inviting him but once I told him the price he suggested we watch it on tv.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 30, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Can any real fan attend?
------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure there are no restrictions. Financial rewards? That's part of the point. The other point would be to raise the visibility of the team among fans that follow the international game, but largely ignore MLS. Honestly, I don't get the complaints. Seattle has scheduled both Chelsea and Barcelona. Are the Sounders fans upset about that? I'm pretty sure the huge crowds are OK with it.

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Desportes.

I never did like that word.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 30, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@delantero,

Yep - also makes JPA holding up the "Western Conference Championship Trophy" last fall even more comical. His hands were bigger than the cup!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | July 30, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

"DiCicco may have felt hard done by at the moment of the tackle..."
---------------------------------------------

Only if Tony likes to over-egg his pudding.

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

If you're reading this, you've presumably missed the noon rebroadcast of last night's 'Plex affair, but you get another chance at 1930 hours tonight, so you can judge yellow vs. red for yourself:

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 30, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, the reason Seattle fans are not complaining is because those two games are included in their season ticket package. I also doubt that the international scene will take any result seriously. Did anyone go bonkers when Al-Ithaad tied Real Madrid last week in Bernabeu? Hardly, most of the press was still focusing on Ronaldo being shown up by Benzema in RM first preseason game in Ireland.

I understand your content with my line
'real fans" but I said it more sarcastically then literally. I just mean when I go to games I see a lot of fans who may not necessarily have the greatest of finances available and it seem to me those are the fan who often attend regularly. Can these fans, who are so committed to coming to say a DC 5-2 victory over the NYRB, afford a game against Real Madrid?

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 30, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Tenorio actually seemed sympathetic to DiCicco's position, both in his tweet at the time it happened (http://twitter.com/PaulTenorio) and in the story he filed for the area's front lawns and driveways. Perhaps he should watch the replays, too?

From the list of subs that Tenorio provided in the matchnight thread, it appears that Spisak and Scurry are still out, and that their keeper coach is on active duty. It was nice to see Krieger back in action after missing only game. I wasn't sure exactly what injury she suffered at RFK the other day, but it looked bad at the time.

Does anyone else think that DeVanna, for all her undeniable speed and crafty moves, has a tendency to run with her head down and paint herself into a 1-vs.-3 corner?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 30, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan: To answer your query from a previous thread: I figured out that Goff was not covering the ASG in Utah, because he almost never travels anywhere without offering some sort of observation on the flight itself, and/or his destination (e.g., restaurants that he intends to patronize).

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 30, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

======================

I think she outruns gets her support alot. But now she can go full 90 and then some, which was not evident at the beginning of the year (or in WWC 07). And in the part of the game I saw (most of it) she was combining well with Wambach in tight quarters. If they can play to Wambach's feet more often, they will also get her more room in the air. Wambach's picking a good time to find better form.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Heard through the rumor mill at the game last night that the Freedom signed another keeper yesterday and she was there last night (but not sure if she was sitting with the team - she was suited up anyways). Have no clue who it could be??

Posted by: soccerfan80 | July 30, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------------

That doesn't really cover it. How many Seattle season-ticket holders are there? Even if there are some half-season planholders, you're still talking about no more than half the ticket sales for those games...and probably less than that.

As for international notice -- I suppose there's some element in that other players might start to take MLS more seriously, but I was talking about American sport/soccer aficionados. Folks who don't come out to or watch United games on TV might take a greater interest in the local product. Of course, the prices are steep, but they're still less than the cost of an NFL game at the same stadium. However, for anyone who cannot afford the tickets, I recommend they do not bankrupt themselves. Stay home and watch on TV. I'd still rather watch a big event -- having them play Real Madrid on TV, than watching them take on FC Dallas or KC yet again.

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Back from the park. grubs, you and I were hoping for the same thing from Tommy, and as I mentioned it's really less about the RM match than it is about neglect for what Insider loyalists are looking for from DCU. I didn't make it out to the soccer plex for last years Open Cup rounds, but I wouldn't have missed the Cup Final for the world. It was the one real thing to be happy about last season. Then the club turns around this year and treats their berth like they don't even want it. That's what pisses me off fischy. I couldn't care less about raising the club's profile internationally by paying RM to show up here. I want a club that's going to come out swinging in Champions League so I'm not embarrassed to walk down the street in my neighborhood with a United shirt on.

not to pile on fischy, but it's pretty obvious why "MLS 3.0" fans aren't bummed about their friendlies, you know they also supposedly get the MLS cup included with their ticket packages too right? That being said, the day that it becomes evident that DCU is going to break ground ANYWHERE in the DC metro area, I'll put down my deposit for a couple season tickets. Even if it costs twice as much as the silly little Sounders fans paid.($300 to start). You also could bet your behind that I'd be expecting the club be giving me free tickets to any friendly, or serious international competition we may be playing in our OWN stadium.

One more thing, I think we should wait one month before we claim Seattle's fan's aren't complaining about their friendlies or fixture congestion. They've got an even busier schedule than DC in August, and they've already got guys like Ljungberg over extending themselves in absolutely meaningless competition.
I read he actually went to the hospital last night because his migraines were messing with his vision so badly. It took him 2 weeks+ last time this happened.

@cow_pasture: I hear ya, Goff was just busy enjoying the Glitz and Glamour of the AllStar festivities...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Boca beats Milan on PKs -- Pirlo and Pato got stoned by the Boca keeper/ Good news -- Onyewu was on the pitch, but not at fault on the lone goal by Boca.

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

edit from earlier post: - she was NOT suited up (the new keeper)

Posted by: soccerfan80 | July 30, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 30, 2009 1:39 PM

=========

Krieger had back spasms at RFK and sat out Sunday's match in Chicago.

I'm not sure what they expect from De Vanna. They sit her on top of the defense ahead of everyone else, then get her the ball, and she takes off leaving everyone except the opposing defenders in the dust. I would have liked to seen a couple more balls over the top to her - they don't seem to use her speed well.

As to the goalkeeper situation, my unofficial understanding is that they didn't have a sub for McLeod last night - if something had happened to her, Cat Whitehill would have taken over as 'keeper.

Posted by: kevinwparker | July 30, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kevinwparker | July 30, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

==========================

That's cool. Ten bucks says Whitehill could punt the ball into the beer garden on the fly from the far end. Actually I might pay ten bucks just to watch her try it 10 times.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Mitts didn't look to good last night - although I have never been a fan.
----------------------------

what?!? oh wait, you meant as a soccer player.

Posted by: troy6 | July 30, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

joedoc was quoted in the dead tree edition today. unfortunately, it was for a lame serious comment and not for a funny one or for song lyrics. ;-)

Posted by: troy6 | July 30, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Sitting behind the freedom bench it looked like the asst coach (Nikki Wright?) had her boots and shin pads on as backup GK. The official roster would list all the subs. Can't seem to find it online.

There is no doubt that the Scott slide tackle, cleats first into Bompastor's leg, was worthy of a straight red. WPS home page now has the clip. I think Ms. Scott will be seeing an additional suspension imposed very soon.

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | July 30, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

wierd news from sky orange

SOMERSET, N.J. (July 30, 2009) - Sky Blue FC announced today that team captain and US Women's National Team star Christie Rampone has agreed to serve as interim player/coach of Sky Blue FC. Rampone will be assisted by long-time New Jersey coach Mike Lyons. This follows yesterday's resignation of Head Coach Kelly Lindsey.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kevinwparker | July 30, 2009 2:48 PM
_________________________________________

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | July 30, 2009 5:16 PM
_________________________________________

In his matchnight thread, Tenorio provided a list of subs, which did not include Spisak or Scurry, but did include Wright. There would have been no reason for Whitehill to have become involved (unless both McLeod and Wright went down).

Posted by: universityandpark | July 31, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse