Tuesday Kickaround

On this historic 10th anniversary of the ingenious "SpongeBob SquarePants" (that's "SpongeBob Schwammkopf" in German -- must see), we celebrate some of today's other great sporting dramas, comedies and relationships:

*Beckham and Donovan: Like SpongeBob and Patrick Star, they are pals again.

*Bora and Iraq: The veteran coach, perhaps played by Barnacle Boy, and a troubled country celebrate the return of international soccer to Baghdad. UPDATE: Bora finished his Iraq stint at the Confederations Cup, but he shares some credit for the squad's victory against Palestine, right? ;-)

*Crystal Palace and Crystal Palace: Cousins (SpongeBob and Stanley) enjoy a reunion in Waldorf, Md., as the London club earns a 5-2 friendly victory over the USL2 side.

*Red Bulls and Infamy: Nearing elimination from playoff contention with three months left in the season, the Squidward Tentacles of MLS signs defender Leo Krupnik, who was drafted from Cal-Berkeley by New York seven years ago and played for Wilmington and Charleston in USL before moving to the Israeli league the past four years.

*Andres D'Alessandro and Brazil's Sports Tribunal: The Argentine midfielder (Plankton!) for Internacional, reportedly targeted by the Galaxy last winter, is penalized 60 days for his role in a Copa Brazil fracas with Corinthians on July 1. Watch the chaos (He's No. 10 in white):

By Steve Goff  |  July 14, 2009; 8:22 AM ET
Categories:  Beckham , Brazil , MLS , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Summer Soccer Reading
Next: United Trialists Arrive

Comments

Happy Bastille Day! :p

Any SpongeBob reference will be over my head. And I'm proud of that.

Posted by: Reignking | July 14, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

You got an early start...

So, what's the takeaway? Is bringing Krupnik to the New Jersey team like bringing in Arce in DC? Doesn't seem like this will really bolster the Bulls, either on the field or in the stands....unless there a lot of Krupniks in the area.

Posted by: fischy | July 14, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Wanted to mention that there's a heck of a women's soccer showdown at the Maryland Soccerplex this Thursday at 7. The Washington Freedom's W-League team is taking on Sky Blue's W-League team. The winner is all but assured of being the regular-season champion with the best record of the W-League's 37 teams.

The Freedom have lost exactly once - to this same team. The Hudson Valley Quickstrike Lady Blues (don't know who came up with that mouthful) have no losses and one tie. All of the other W-League teams - including several professional ones - have tied or lost multiple games.

Washington's W-Leaguers are doing amazingly well considering that most of their best players from last year are now with the WPS team, so please come out and cheer them on if you can.

Posted by: kevinwparker | July 14, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Vive le France....

As an Englishman I know once said about the French winning the '98 Cup on home ground: "It was brilliant, It was just too bad it had to happen for the French."

So, is Bora still with the Iraqi team, even after the WCQs are over? It's not 100% clear from the link.

Posted by: fischy | July 14, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Copied from another thread:

BTW: Mr. BaRRD and I did attend the Crystal Palace game last night (see Anglosnob, supra)and had a great time. It's a nice little stadium with friendly people, clean restrooms, good food, and a remarkably wide choice of beers. The pitch was a little catawampus to fit into the baseball dimensions and the groundskeepers had to keep running out with what looked like mallets to pound the infield turf seams back down, but overall it was a positive fan experience.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 14, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

"Is bringing Krupnik to the New Jersey team like bringing in Arce in DC"

It's defensive cover.

Mendes is out for the season, leaving NY with Petke, Goldthwaite, and the useless Boyens as center backs. Krupnik isn't expected to be an impact player.

They've got a ex-La Liga Serbian trialist whose name I'm not even going to bother to look up. He's 31 but had retired because of health problems. Typical NY-- Agoos will probably offer him a three year guaranteed deal for $200k a season.

Then there are the Nedved rumors, and while a motivated Nedved would be a great addition (even at his age of 36-- for comparison, Nowak retired at 38), NY needs a third forward, a left midfielder, and a new coach and "director of soccer operations," as well as a playmaker, in order to be a playoff quality team (next year, as this year was lost before May ended).

Having suffered through 1999, I can say that the collection of players is way better in 2009, but they're assembled badly and key roles are not filled. And the guys who make the decisions (Osorio and Agoos) are the worst in the business.

A team playing on grass with Angel, Kandji; Hall (or other left mid), Ubiparipovic, Nedved, Zimmerman (or Mbuta); Pacheco, Goldthwaite, Petke, Johnson; Cepero (or Condoul), with some depth, is not by any means the worst side in the league, as long as they're not coached by a freaking idiot. That's a team that can pass and finish, but is missing speed in the central defense, so has to be very well coached in terms of defensive responsibilities when wing backs get forward, and has to have effective practices and team leadership to avoid the kind of moronic lapses that have destroyed this season.

The above lineup with a good coach and some additional depth could be a 5th or 6th place team, assuming Nedved didn't get mangled by a James Riley tackle that goes uncarded and other chronic injuries to the top three players were avoided.

But I'm dreaming. Red Bull has no idea what they're doing.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | July 14, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

"unless there a lot of Krupniks in the area"

Maybe he's designed to tap into that all-important Brighton Beach ex-SocJew demographic. That's the missing piece of the puzzle.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | July 14, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Meant to type ex-Soviet Jew.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | July 14, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of not bothering to look it up -- when is Red Bull Arena slated to open?

Posted by: Reignking | July 14, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Happy Bastille day to all. Given that I had to watch the clip without sound, I'm assuming that D'Alessandro got pissy because he perceived the Corinthian who took a seat at the restart to be time-wasting a la Ghana 2006?

Posted by: iammrben1 | July 14, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

ha that crazy fool chasing people around should be fined a months pay.

Posted by: g3impreza | July 14, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to guess the lame Brazilian fracas involved a challenge to someone's manhood.

Posted by: Alsatian1 | July 14, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

If anyone is planning to come to Lancaster for the City Islanders/Crystal Palace match, please consider this.

The Harrisburg City Islanders soccer team and the Lancaster Barnstormers baseball club are joining with Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) in asking those attending the upcoming Harrisburg City Islanders match with Crystal Palace FC to bring new soccer balls to share with students in southern Sudan. Balls will be collected outside Clipper Magazine Stadium before the game, July 18, at 7:00 PM Balls should not be inflated!

Posted by: lrg1231 | July 14, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Hey Mastodon, maybe the Red Bulls can hire 26-61 Manny Acta to keep things running smoothly. Or the cheerful yellow guy Who Lives in a Pineapple Under the Sea.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 14, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Fracas is a good word - - "noisy quarrel" -- if a fight ever broke out those fellows literally wouldn't know what hit them. Running around threatening to slap or kick one another. Good grief. At least Gallardo went for the eye scratch. I guess that's how he rose to the top of that particular heap of cats.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 14, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the laughs Steve. Mr. Squarepants is one funny little guy, my only regret is that I waited until after I had a kid to open myself up to his insights...:-)

Off to the Zoo.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 14, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

What a bizarre blog post. I thought I was on Nickelodeon.

Posted by: delantero | July 14, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm scared.

Posted by: sitruc | July 14, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | July 14, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

In the confrontation spectrum, does a bit of 'argy - bargy' precede a 'fracas', and then onto a riot?

Posted by: JkR- | July 14, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Bastille Day"?!

"There's no bread, let them eat cake!
There's no end to what they'll take
Flaunt the fruits of noble birth
Wash the salt into the earth

But they're marching to Bastille Day
La guillotine will claim her bloody prize
Free the dungeons of the innocent
The king will kneel and let his kingdom rise..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 14, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"Schwammkpof means swim-head (more or less). I guess SpongeBob QuadratischeHosen didn't fit the songs very well."

Actually, 'Schwamm', means sponge. So it's SpongeBob Spongehead strangely enough.

Posted by: harryfuchs | July 14, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I think Rush has a song for every occasion...

Posted by: combedge | July 14, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Emillio could teach Plankton that taking aggression out on water bottles is just as rewarding with only a 1 game suspension.

Posted by: Nate8 | July 14, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Perils of high school german. I thought schwamm was past of schwimmen. SpongeBob SpongeHead has a ring though.

Wonder if Leo is related to Anastasia Krupnik. Dadryan you'll be ready for her in a few years. You'll like her, she's subversive.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 14, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone watch the replay of Leeds United v DC United? There were clearly vivuzelas at RFK ten years ago. They're awful.

I never realized Jesse Marsch played for DC United.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 14, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I read somewhere that Rush once played a gig in Paris on July 14 - and forgot to play Bastille Day!

OK, on a soccer note - who's excited to see Becks at RFK next month? I wonder what the reception will be like this time around. I'm not afraid to whistle at him every time he touches the ball. :-)

Posted by: SSMD1 | July 14, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Rush. Ug.

"It's good to be the King."

Posted by: Reignking | July 14, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

@Reignking: do you have any neck pain this morning?

"I thought schwamm was past of schwimmen."

Actually, "schwimmen" is how Barbara Walters pronounces what Michael Phelps does each day.

Did someone say "Rush"?!

"Good day, everyone! And welcome to the EIB radio network. I'm Rush Limbaugh, with half my brain tied behind my back -- just to make it fair."

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 14, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I never realized Jesse Marsch played for DC United.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 14, 2009 10:46 AM

**************************************

I knew Marsch played here, but as a striker? Egad, what a toothless lineup that was.

Other thoughts from that game:

The game was in May! It was Leeds' after season tour! What a bad idea!

I was digging me some Gordon Bradley! He seemed to be having fun and kept the game in perspective. Talks about the game as a coach would, and not as a life or death matter. Great stuff.

Jeff Causey was great. Clint Peay not. Tony Sanneh great (mostly)! Steve Rammel not.

Whatever happened to "Tony Thiemann"?

Finally, RFK looked so much better before beisbol....

Posted by: JkR- | July 14, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I don't care about Beckham
He don't care about me
All I care about is watching
watching DC

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 14, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Anybody checking in from OBX? Seems like half of Northern Virginia is down there this week.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 14, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

A re-make of the old tune by the "New Donovan"

I'm just mad about Beckham
Beckham's mad about me
I'm just mad about Beckham
He's just mad about me

They call me mellow fellow
(Quite rightly)
They call me mellow fellow
(Quite rightly)
They call me mellow fellow

Posted by: OWNTF | July 14, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

While # 10 is suspended he would be fun as halftime intertainment @ RFK!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 14, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he's designed to tap into that all-important...demographic. That's the missing piece of the puzzle.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | July 14, 2009 9:11 AM |
-------------------------------------------------

That was the entire point of my post.

Posted by: fischy | July 14, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Copied from another thread:

BTW: Mr. BaRRD and I did attend the Crystal Palace game last night (see Anglosnob, supra)and had a great time. It's a nice little stadium with friendly people, clean restrooms, good food, and a remarkably wide choice of beers......but overall it was a positive fan experience.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil

I had posted, rather late, where you had asked about the BlueCrabs stadium. I got to work a stand recently for my son's hockey team, http://www.somdsabres.org/
as a fundraiser to knock off some of the high travel hockey fees.
The stadium is very nice, clean, well-staffed. They offer lots of good food and beers at moderate prices. For those into baseball, check it out.
For those into fundraisers, the BlueCrabs support a wide variety of causes here

Posted by: googlio | July 14, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

If the Red Bulls are looking for a coach -- Carlos Alberto Parreira is suddenly available, following Fluminense's slip into the relegation zone in Brazil's top-flight.

On other matters -- Don Garber showed up on BBC's World Sport show.

Summary: One great player isn't enough. Also, MLS needs to review a lot of things, including the schedule with the long winter layoff. Probably won't do anything like Beckham's AC Milan loan again. Finally, he expects Beckham to finish out his LA deal (not leave after this season) and views the 'Beckham experiment' as a success...even the recent controversy, as that gets the world wagging about MLS.

In other words, even bad press is better than no press.

Posted by: fischy | July 14, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Liberté, egalité, fraternité! Joyeux 14 de Juillet!

I am disappointed at how Donovan kowtowed to Beckham. I didn't hear David say that everything is okay and that Landon is forgiven, it took Landon to apologize about taking it to the press. If Beckham walked (as far as I am concerned) all the better. The league doesn't need him.

Posted by: bdwooton | July 14, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | July 14, 2009 10:46 AM
-----------------------------------------

As discussed in an earlier thread, not every horn is a vuvuzela, just as not every resonating guitar is a Dobro. Otherwise, the term would have entered our vocabulary long before Leeds came to town in '97, instead of a few weeks ago.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 14, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Donovan didn't kowtow. He felt he was wrong, he admitted to it, and apologized. Not for thinking it, but for saying it to someone other than Beckham.

That's good manners, not kowtowing.

I think it set's a darn good example, quite frankly.

Posted by: JkR- | July 14, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- | July 14, 2009 11:03 AM
------------------------------------------

In his later years as a CSN analyst, Bradley had a problem with saying things in too many words; in particular, describing the action on the screen as if he were talking to a radio audience. Of course, we later learned of his Alzheimer's diagnosis, and one has to wonder whether there was a connection. I gather that that was not a problem back in '97.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 14, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the Donovan fan raises his ugly head.
Did he not know the Grant Wahl writes for SI?

Ah well, at least they have kissed an made up. Can't wait to Boo Beckham. What a tit.

Posted by: hacksaw | July 14, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Bastille Day?

Allons enfants de la Patrie,
Le jour de gloire est arrivé!
Contre nous de la tyrannie,
L'étendard sanglant est levé,
(repeat)
Entendez-vous dans les campagnes
Mugir ces féroces soldats?
Ils viennent jusque dans vos bras
Égorger vos fils, vos compagnes!

Aux armes, citoyens,
Formez vos bataillons,
Marchons, marchons!
Qu'un sang impur
Abreuve nos sillons!

(...and to make this soccer related, this should be followed by the growing chant of "Victoire! Victoire! Victoire!")

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 14, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

(actually, as far as French march tunes go, I much prefer "Le regiment de Sambre et Meuse" over "La marseillaise"...but that's a whole 'nother story.)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 14, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 14, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

============================

Right. And if Thunder Sticks catch on before the WC next year, some enterprising chap who manufactures them in China and sells them by the boat load will claim that they are culturally significant because of their deep roots in ancient Zulu drumming rituals.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 14, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the Donovan fan raises his ugly head.
Did he not know the Grant Wahl writes for SI?

Posted by: hacksaw | July 14, 2009 1:25 PM |

*********************

Of course he knew it, that's what he apologized for. He said something he wished he had addressed to someone else, and now he's apologized for it.

Grown ups do this kind of stuff. It makes for better relationships.

Posted by: JkR- | July 14, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I loved Clint Peay. As long as he was on the field, he gave me real hope that I could play in MLS too. God he was dreadful.

Posted by: Alsatian1 | July 14, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse