United Rewind

On a night when four MLS clubs became U.S. Open Cup upset victims, D.C. United got a scare at "home" from the lowest-tier team still alive in the tournament.

Don't let the 2-0 final score against the Ocean City Barons fool you. DCU labored to break down an amateur side and required a lift in the second half from reserves Chris Pontius and Christian Gomez to clear its path to the quarterfinals next Tuesday night back at Maryland SoccerPlex against USL2 Harrisburg, a 2-1 overtime winner over New England, which, because of injuries and cards, finished the match with eight players.

Columbus, Chicago and Chivas USA also lost, and Kansas City needed penalty kicks to advance. On Wednesday, Houston visits USL1 Austin and Seattle travels to USL1 Portland.

Read my match report with quotes.

PLAYER RATINGS
Kocic 7; McTavish 5, Janicki 6, Burch 5; Barklage 5, DiRaimondo 5, Olsen 6, Jacobson 4, Wallace 5; Khumalo 3, N'Silu 4. Subs: Pontius 7, Gomez 7, Simms 5.

Skip to the continuation of this thread for bonus quotes from DCU Coach Tom Soehn and details of the Ocean City coach's ejection and the Barons' near equalizer in the closing minutes.....

Soehn, on Ange N'Silu: "Ange struggled in the first half. He didn't hold the ball for us, he didn't move off Boyzzz's runs. He did a little bit better in the second half, but he still needs to make some progress."

Soehn on Thabiso "Boyzzz" Khumalo: "Boyzzz gives you a lot of energy. The great thing about Boyzzz is that he gives you energy, and the bad thing sometimes is Boyzzz gives you energy and you're not sure what to do off him."

Why was Barons Coach Neil Holloway ejected early in the second half? My match report provided some description, but in greater detail, Holloway said: "The fourth official was causing a lot of problems. His job is just to keep calm and maintain control. I questioned the referee's decision and he came into my technical area and asked me to sit down. When the coach from D.C. United did the same thing in the second half, the fourth official didn't seem to go near him. So I simply asked the question: 'Shouldn't you be approaching the D.C. coach?' He said, 'No.' I proceeded to ask him, was it all about him, did he want to be the star of the show? And I guess he did. I didn't use any profanity, and next thing I know, I am being asked to leave the field in the biggest game in our history. The fourth official should have showed me a bit more respect."

According to several witnesses, Holloway confronted the officials near the locker rooms after the game and was using so much profanity, a DCU player told him to quiet down because there were children nearby inside the pavilion.

Between his failure to promptly leave the field and the postgame situation, he seems likely to face discipline from the U.S. Soccer Federation, which oversees the Open Cup.

As for the Barons' attempts to tie the game before N'Silu's clincher, Milos Kocic made a tremendous save and Devon McTavish cleared the rebound off the goal line. Ocean City argued that the ball had crossed the line, but afterward, DCU players were adament it did not. The assistant referee seemed to be in position to make the call, if it had crossed over.

Said Kocic: "When I saved it, I tried to see where the ball is and then I saw Devon jump and clear it off the line. I was saying, 'What happened? What happened?' I couldn't see it."

By Steve Goff  |  July 1, 2009; 12:15 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , U.S. Open Cup , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: United-Barons
Next: Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

Karazy! Seems like the ol' Plex and the Open Cup brings out the best in everyone!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

For this only being my second year even knowing it existed, I love the Cup. I especially love getting to call it "the Cup".

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 1, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

I pretty much agree with the ratings. I thought N'Silu was miserable despite the late gift goal. I don't think he deserves to be ranked higher than Khumalo, though Boyzz really blew that one breakaway. I think McTavish played a decent game, even though nearly all of the Barons' opportunities came from that side. They were more the midfield's responsibility. Though I couldn't see him, I'd guess that Pontius left some people undefended late, and maybe Barklage could have played tougher earlier. I can't say I saw Jacobson screw up, so I'm surprised by his low rating, but maybe he was the guy who failed to shut down the OC attack. Olsen's touch wasn't there -- coughed up one good attacking chance and whiffed on one volley -- but he was getting into good spaces. When he regains his sharpness, he'll be a strong contributor again.

Kocic made several tremendous saves. Also, showed great game sense in coming out to make some big stops. I might even rate him an 8, despite the confusion near the end. It's funny how DCU's goalkeeping looked so awful early on. After tonight, I'm feeling pretty good about both goalies. Now, if only we can find some guys who can score....

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

As for the Harrisburg City Islanders...revenge is a dish best served cold. I'd say 2 years in the icebox has left it pretty well chilled.

Burch, McTavish and Simms are the only DCU players left from that game, but I'm sure they'll be out for blood....Steve Fisher, who scored the lone goal, is still with Harrisburg. He better watch his back. Actually, Harrisburg is returning with 6 of the starters from that game. Should be fun....

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

That was far too difficult, but it is good to keep some perspective: For us, this was a chance to get some reserves a run-out. For them, it was "the biggest game in [their] history", to quote their coach.

N'Silu struggled a lot in the first half, but he did win the penalty and score the 2nd goal. It's hard to be too upset with him when he was in on both goals, but I don't know if he really fits our style of play, at least as the guy leading the line. He has little desire to play with his back to goal, and is more focused on beating people on the dribble. I wonder if he should actually be a striker, rather than a winger (I don't think he has the passing ability or vision to be a withdrawn forward like Moreno or Quaranta). Since our outside midfield slots require a lot of defensive work, I don't think he'd fit there either for us, even if he did turn out to be a better fit wide. All in all, I think he's something of a conundrum for us. He certainly has some good qualities, but I'm not sure if we're using him correctly or if there is a good place for him given our formation.

Soehn summed Khumalo's night up well. He always gets himself into decent spots, but sometimes those spots have nothing to do with what else is going on. I like him as a player, but I wonder about his awareness of what else is going on in the game beyond what he's doing.

Credit the Barons for not being overawed by the occasion (even after spending the opening portion of the game barely ever getting a moment on the ball). They did play a 442 that quickly turned into something around a 631 (outside backs pinched in, outside midfielders where the backs had been, and Noone dropping off the front line to join the midfield), but you can hardly blame them. We didn't have many answers because we didn't penetrate on the wings, and in the middle they often had 6 or 7 people within 10 yards of the top of the box. Lucky for us, they got tired (since they have real jobs, I'm guessing they aren't particularly fit compared to the pros) and we had some high quality available off the bench.

Let's hope we learned some lessons tonight, because Harrisburg is going to offer up more or less the same tactical approach, but with fitter, better (for the most part) players. They're in 1st in the USL-2, so they've got a winning mentality, and they did just beat the Revs away (yeah, NE finished with 8, but still).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 1, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Goff -- thanks for being accurate. Charles Boehm's report on the DCU site credit's Burch for the free kick that led to the second goal. In fact, it was Gomez who took the kick, which Ogunbiye fumbled...as the Goffer reported.

Chest --- interesting observations. I don't think N'SIlu is particularly agile, so I think he might be playing against his own strengths in trying to dribble. It looked to me as if the Barons went from get-go with only Carmichael up top, but they still managed to create some good shooting opportunities Perhaps the USMNT ought to check out films to see how to play with one guy up top. Never mind. Forget I said that.

So, how come the Barons' best defender (Jimmy Davis, according to Boehm) isn't even listed on their roster on their website? Where'd they find him? And Noone had some fancy footwork near the end. It'll be interesting to see if the MLS takes a look at him next year.

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 1:43 AM | Report abuse

Missed the game...I was at work, only about 10 minutes away from the field. Any highlights for what seemed to be an exciting game? I know the game was broadcasted live on the USL site, but I couldn't find any archives of the game or highlights.

Posted by: redskinsux | July 1, 2009 1:44 AM | Report abuse

I was one of the "fortunate" few to witness in person the disgraceful outburst by the Ocean City coach after the match. I can't even begin to explain how vulgar and innapropriate he was. Screaming at the top of his lungs, with children in full view, he was a madman.

Also, the 4th official had repeatedly warned the coach during the first half about calming down because he was complaining about every call that didn't go their way. Finally, after a non-penalty call was not awarded, he went ballistic again and the 4th official came over to the bench and said to the assistant coach "You'd better calm him down because you are about to be in charge in a minute".

I've been around this game for a long time and have had the priveledge of access to the scenes behind the curtain for quite a while now and last night took the cake for me. Hands down the most aggregious and unsporting behavior from anyone I've ever seen after a match.

Posted by: ARickey | July 1, 2009 6:21 AM | Report abuse

Their coach had every right to be furious with the officiating, I think. Maybe burning-the-ears-of-children-and-making-baby-jesus-cry fury wasn't justified, but he was right to be pissed.

Posted by: spidergoose | July 1, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

ARickey--thanks for the contribution--that adds some good context to Goff's report and the coaches' comments post-match. Yeah, after the referee's report, I'm sure this guy will face a penalty of sorts. I don't think it would be a fine though--I seem to recall Rongen tearing into the Cup finals referee post-match and when asked about it said "well, unlike MLS you don't get fined for criticizing officials in USSF matches."

I'm not wild about playing Harrisburg. Forget the revenge angle. If our players lived for revenge (especially after last year) our locker room would have a bunch of voodoo dolls hanging around and Simms and Co. would be picking up red cards galore (meaning, we've got a lot of revenge we'd have to pay back). No, my problem with playing Harrisburg is this: if Nicol isn't just doing a sour grapes deal, if his post-game comments are to be believed, he felt that Harrisburg was going after his players. Now I get that USL guys might be motivated or might compensate with energy and aggression for touch and game smarts. But I'm not so eager to play a team if their gameplan involves putting a couple of guys in the hospital. Granted, that's based not on a game I saw, only a few comments from Nicols (and this article/match shows just how much credibility we can give some coaches in their post-game comments, especially after a loss). Still, Nicols doesn't strike me as a sour-grapes/load up on the excuses kind of guy.

Posted by: JoeW1 | July 1, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like DCU had their hands full. Im just glad we didnt lose like the others.

Posted by: g3impreza | July 1, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Here's a recap from the Barons' perspective, with some video of their coach: http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/article_6aa52d6e-c9c2-54a9-8ec3-b5af9ffaab1e.html

Posted by: Pedalada | July 1, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of "unsportsmanlike behavior," does anyone know anything about the fight in the stands?

Posted by: stwasm | July 1, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Goff's ratings for the most part, but I might move a number here or there.

My question is why was Olsen subbed when he was the only player doing anything in the 1st half? It didn't make any sense to me when the rest of the midfield was subpar. If it was about managing minutes I think Soehn should have subed him out with Gomez or Simms later.

Posted by: bighungry | July 1, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Interesting background on Holloway and Barons

NEW PARTNERSHIP
Barons, Reading reach a deal

In a landmark agreement, the South Jersey Barons organization, fronted by their Premier Development League club, the Ocean City Barons, have formed a partnership with Reading Football Club of the the English Premier League.

As part of the agreement, which was organized through Reading’s "Football in the Community Trust" program, the "Royals" will send some of their coaches to lend their expertise and help run the Barons’ youth academy camp in August. Reading FC will continue to host the Barons’ youth teams during Easter weekend, as they expose the young players to some of the top facilities at one of the top youth development clubs in the EPL.

Both of the South Jersey Barons’ Under-15 boys teams will leave for Reading Wednesday, March 19 and will train at the club for nine days, during which time they will play against other local select teams. The paramount matchup of the trip will be a game at Reading’s training ground, where the Barons will take on the Royals’ Under-15 academy team this Saturday.

The trip is an annual homecoming for Ocean City Barons general manager, Neil Holloway. The Reading native is a product of the Royals’ youth academy, beginning his training at the age of nine. In addition to the soccer education he received, he also spent time cleaning boots of the senior players at the club and cleaning the stands at Elm Park, which pre-dates the club’s current Madejski Stadium. At the age of 18, he traveled to the United States to accept a full scholarship at Wheeling Jesuit University in the state of West Virginia.

"I’m extremely excited, and proud, that my hometown club is partnering with my club here in the U.S.," said Holloway. "Reading Football Club has played a major role in my life. I’ve always been a loyal Royal, and continued to be since I left to pursue my soccer ambitions in the States."

Posted by: OWNTF | July 1, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

When Pontius came on there was an obvious change in how United was playing, and suddenly we looked a little dangerous. And when Gomez came on, it felt like the Barons were giving him space and not playing the body like they did to the rest of the team. Maybe out of reverence or respect? I'm hoping that the team works on how to break down a bunker this week, it looked for awhile like there were no answers.

Kocic looked strong, I'd like to see him continue to get minutes.

Posted by: eadc | July 1, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Were there any players on the Barons who looked like they'd be decent MLS pick-ups in next year's draft?

Posted by: mercedeskk | July 1, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

What is the criteria for you awarding points? Did you get Boyzzz and NSilu mixed up? DiRaimondo also should have been higher.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | July 1, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Their goalie was decent but he couldn't hold onto the ball. Their striker was decent, he played alone the whole game and made a couple of things happen. I think mostly it was a good team effort.

Posted by: bighungry | July 1, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

We lacked creativity?

Wow. I can't imagine why. :)

Didn't see it, but sounds like the Baron's coach was the most interesting part of the proceedings.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 1, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Benzema to RM for 6 years.

Posted by: Reignking | July 1, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

@redskinsux: I was mistaken in thinking USLlive would have an archived copy of the match. Not sure if they've had any plans on doing anything beyond a live broadcast, but from the looks of it the DCU media boys were filming too and I'd be surprised if Mr. Sheldon and Co. don't have the highlights up on the DCU site or Behind the Badge by the end of the day... I could be very wrong, but we'll see.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

United's young guns refused to move the ball around on this team, instead opting to try and make something "big" happen. The Barons gave space and offered up a shell, the perfect antidote to this strategy. As a result, nothing changed until Pontius and (later) Gomez entered, where their obvious quality made the difference.

The Baron's coach really didn't have to stoop to the level of the idiot 4th official. His team gave a class effort and it's a shame he couldn't recognize that.

Posted by: loosek | July 1, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

3 PKs in the KC v Minnesota match! That must have been something.

I disagree about Nicol. He is always blaming the officials or some one else for their problems. His team has its share of thugs as well.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 1, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

"quarterfinals next Tuesday night back at Maryland SoccerPlex against USL2 Harrisburg"

Amazing! DC United wins another "coin flip".

Posted by: JonnyG-StarMetro | July 1, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | July 1, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

United were a bit lucky to advance in a night of MLS futility. In the end the injection of gomez and pontius and the technical and athletic superiority of DCU was enough to get the win. It might not be enough against Harrisburg. They are good, and they can beat us. So if we really care about keeping the cup then Sohen better field the A squad next week.
I am not really suprised by all the MLS teams losing last night. Here are some factors working againdt MLS squads last night.
1. the road. All but one of the upsets were on the road last night. MLS squads have trouble on the road as it is, and going into even more unfamiliar USL grounds really sets the stage for on upset. Smaller stadiums, less than perfect pitches, and cramped locker rooms all contribute.
Oh, and the New England v. Harrisburg was techically a home game for NE but was played in New Britain Ct's Veterans Stadium, kind of like DCU playing at Home at the Plex, so...
2. No more MLS reserve league. I feel very confident in saying that the demise of the reserve league (RL) holds a big part of the MLS upsets last night. Most teams fielded teams with reserves that have not played many, if any, complete matches this season. So when cup games against USL teams come up the coaches give the reserves a run out, and hilarity ensues. A lost of guys on MLS squads are not getting the game minutes they would get if the RL still exsisted.
3.Some MLS teams just plain suck in the cup. Chivas have only won one cup game in their history. A 3-2 extra time win V. charlotte eagles in 2006. since then they have lost every open cup game. Three of thier cup losses have been by at least 2 goals to USL teams, including last nights game. San Jose has only nade it past the QF once, and have been put out in the first round three times by a USL team. RSL in it limited team history has been a failure in the cup.
4. USL teams get up big time for games v. MLS teams. these games are chance for aspiring young pros to impress MLS coaches up close and personal. It is also a chance for players that have been axed by MLS teams to show how the have improved, or to get revenge. It is their superbowl to our pre-season game.

Posted by: jjfooty | July 1, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

On to important things - was the Biergarten open last night?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 1, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Amazing! DC United wins another "coin flip".

Posted by: JonnyG-StarMetro | July 1, 2009 9:58 AM
__________________________________________

These things are decided by a coin flip? I thought they were decided by bidding, as did others who discussed this in an earlier thread. What is your source?

Posted by: universityandpark | July 1, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

JohnnyG, have you been so throughly mocked off the MF boards that you had to come here? The coin flip was only for the MLS Preliminary Rounds for open cup. Cold hard cash determines who hosts actual Open Cup games, but if you knew anything about this league and tournament, you'd know that already.

Posted by: spidergoose | July 1, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I really think it is pathetic team management when you cannot even field a team of 18 players. Why did DC cut two players without anyone to replace them? Is it b/c the transfer window for MLS is July 15th? I hope that is the case and we get a left back and possibly a GK.

Posted by: no_recess | July 1, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

stawsam, there's not much of a story to the fight at the end of the game. Some Barons kid snapped, ran through the aisle in front of the barra repeatedly kissing the OC badge, then decided he'd have a go with the barra (or perhaps people didn't take kindly to his display), he was pushed back away from the barra where the cops put a severe pwning on him against the front railing.

Oh, and before the cops got there, some CSC thug decided it was within the scope of his job to grab the kid HARD by the throat and choke him. Classy.

Posted by: spidergoose | July 1, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

United did what was needed last night. They rested a bunch of first-team players -- half a game for a young guy like Pontius is basically rest -- and some reserves got some much-needed playing time.

If United plays the first team and they win 6-0, he gets abused for putting his first team up against an inferior team, AND he gets criticized for not giving first-teamers some rest.

Sometimes we as fans get too caught up in the need to play every game beautifully. In tournament play, when it's one-and-done, it's about winning the game. United did that, and rested players to boot. A "win-win" if you will.

That said, I don't think Soehn has the luxury to play reserve guys against Harrisburg, and I don't believe he will. A trophy is certainly within United's reach, after last night's results. Look for the United FO to elevate the OC to a higher status of importance.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 1, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

We don't need another goalie. Kocic is fine for a backup to Wicks, unless we want to spend a lot of money, but that didn't do much good with Crayton. Good goalies are hard to aquire because no one wants to get rid of them. A left back wouldn't be bad, but we need more depth upfront. We need another pure striker who can fill in for Emilio and actually score.

Burch has been playing better I think he has adjusted to the 3-5-2 where he is more of a CB than a LB/Wing Back. John hasn't done much for us, I'd like to see him again to see how he has adjusted. He might do better in a 4-4-2.

Our midfield is solid, our defense has progressed, but doesn't have much of a bench, and our forwards have no depth without tapping into our midfield. We need at least one forward on the break and hopefully they will pan out.

Posted by: bighungry | July 1, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else hate the automatic video feed on soccernet.com? I want to smash that thing every time it pops on. Change windows to the US Soccer page and BAM, same thing happens. I don't care what Allen Hopkins says. If I want the content, I'll click on it.

Rant over.

Posted by: delantero | July 1, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: no_recess

Calm down! Injuries and national team callups have shortened the bench. The cuts had to be made by July 1, and now they are looking for new players. There's no rush.

As you may have read on SI:
"MLS's international signing period opens July 15"

Posted by: Reignking | July 1, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Now look what we've done. Brazil knock Spain off top spot.

Posted by: Reignking | July 1, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

"going into even more unfamiliar USL grounds really sets the stage for on upset. Smaller stadiums, less than perfect pitches, and cramped locker rooms all contribute."

@jjfooty: yeesh. I think you're very wrong about this one. I doubt smaller stadiums and and cramped locker rooms really set the stage for upsets of MLS teams. If these trivial things really contribute, then they're a bunch of sissies.

@spidergoose: please calm down or you'll be asked to leave the field. So what if JohnnyG got confused about the details of preliminary vs later rounds of Open Cup hosting? No need to say "if you knew anything about this league and tournament..."

Posted by: WorldCup | July 1, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

bighungry is right -- United has more pressing needs than a goalie. I think we still need to see better work at LB. If there's a quality LB out there, bring him in. We also need better finishing on the front line than we've seen. The midfield is strong, though depth can be a problem.

@I-270 -- the beer garden was open. Personally, I'm not a big fan of it. The Yuengling drafts were OK, but I didn't appreciate being restricted to the section. I drank my brews mostly at halftime. When I was done, I headed back to the sidelines, where the views are better.

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

OT: An interesting film festival in New York, and a new book by the other SI's Grant Wahl:

Posted by: universityandpark | July 1, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

wow, that grant wahl book about beckham is going to be AWESOME. even PTI talked about donovan calling out beckham last night. i am starting to like donovan more and more....

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 1, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

That was some bad soccer last night, but I always enjoy the ferry ride and ride through the back roads. You're a sucker if you go through Poolesville though!

The replay (on the newscast) of the Baron's not-goal at the end of regulation showed that it did not go in, I swore from my midfield place on the rail that it was in the net. Oh well.

Speaking of the newscast, they did have decent fan support, good for them. Ours was fairly weak at times due to the lackluster play, but never, ever, did I hear "we can't hear you", I would have laughed my butt off. If I acted like some of their punk kid fans last night when I went to away MLS matches, I would rightfully get my ass kicked. I thought we were rather nice to them when they came running in and tried to mess with the drummers.

Thankfully my girlfriend found a place to smoke in their "nonsmoking facility" (a bogus and unAmerican thing), but I still might have a hard time getting her back out there next week. She was livid when they told her there was no smoking area. Livid.

Posted by: dcufan | July 1, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

The Plex is within a county park, hence the no smoking policy. I'm pretty sure that MoCo will soon ban smoking in private homes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

WorldCup, I speak to JohnnyG in that manner because I'm familiar with his inanity from another message board.

Posted by: spidergoose | July 1, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

As Goose said, JohnnyG is just an ignorant Metro fan. They have no clue about anything other than their annual "You-suck" Allocation and participation ribbon.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 1, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Ours was fairly weak at times due to the lackluster play, but never, ever, did I hear "we can't hear you" -dcufan
-----
I heard it at one point. We responded with "You don't matter" :)

Posted by: spidergoose | July 1, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

@worldcup
Well it must have something to do with it. Athletes are creatures of routine, and when you get them out of that routine their play can suffer. This goes from a six year old rec player not getting pancakes the morning of a game, all the way to pro players playing in an unfamilier stadium. Have you ever had trouble sleeping in a hotel room because the bed was too hard? Right or wrong going on the road to a USL stadium affects MLS teams.

Posted by: jjfooty | July 1, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

That Revs game was ug-ly.

We'll be going into Saturday's match against LA with the potential to only have 1 field player and a GK on the bench.

LA must be excited.

Posted by: rachel751 | July 1, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Rachel what are you talking about? If you are talking about the Revs Cup games don't count for regular season unless I am wrong on that. And if you are talking about DC we aren't missing that many people.

Posted by: bighungry | July 1, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bighungry

"...a 2-1 overtime winner over New England, which, because of injuries and cards, finished the match with eight players."

Was responding to a comment made by Goff. Just pointing out that the 2-1 loss was ugly, and that due to the injuries suffered both during that game and during the prior MLS/SuperLiga games, we (the Revs) have the potential to go into our league game against LA on Saturday with only 1 sub on the bench.

I'm not an idiot, I know Cup games don't count for the league. Don't know where you got that. I really didn't think my post was that confusing, but my apologies if it was.

Posted by: rachel751 | July 1, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

rachel -- your post wasn't confusing. Clearly you were talking about the Revs. You said so. Then, you discussed their upcoming match vs. LA. And, you were definitely referring to all their injuries, which would be apparent to anyone who read about the game.

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse