United Trialists Arrive

The first two of what might be several trialists are in town for training with D.C. United:

*Jean-Francois Bell, a 28-year-old defender from Cameroon who has played at various levels in Switzerland.

*David Habarugira, a 20-year-old defender from Burundi's national team who came through the Anderlecht system in Belgium.

Both play in the middle but have experience on the corners. They will train with DCU all week.

I'm told that others of perhaps greater prominence are also on DCU's radar.

More details to come.....

By Steve Goff  |  July 14, 2009; 12:15 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Kickaround
Next: D.C. United News & Notes

Comments

Great -- another unaccomplished African player from lower Swiss divisions, and another young African who isn't making a mark in Europe. I guess the twist here is that these are defenders. Usually United brings in prospective strikers who wash out. I'm hoping to be more impressed with the pedigree of the "others".

Posted by: fischy | July 14, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

They don't impress me at all. There are plenty of Cameroon players here who come looking for pro soccer but don't make. Hoping that the Anderlecht Youth system prospect might be someone who can help us.

Get a Brazilian from Rio. or Some Eastern European guy.

Posted by: godpere | July 14, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

On the bright side, I think DCU has the Africa-->Switzerland-->MLS pipeline cornered.

No one in MLS has even tried because DCU has all of the connections.

Posted by: Reignking | July 14, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the experts of the soccer blog thing speak. Haven't even seen either of them play and ready to cast them off.

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | July 14, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Habarugira was on loan to a Belgian 2nd-division side, and did get 24 caps in each of the last 2 years. Also 6 WCQ caps for Burundi, including 2 one-goal losses against Tunisia (a pretty decent side). I should qualify that -- it seems clear that he did get 24 caps for '07-08, including one yellow and one red. One site says he also had over 1000 minutes in 24 matches last year, but I think this might be an error of duplication.

Per Babelfish:

The unionistic young person, David Habarugira disputed its 10th match of championship and was for the third titular time in the team of the Saint-Gilloise Union. The Union was essential 3-0 against Kv Ostend and goes back to the 6th place of the general classification of the second division. Habarugira: “It was a good match. In first period us n' were not in the match. At the half-time, we received d' other instructions of the coach. In first half, we did not create d' occasions. But we managed defense well. We communicated well with the medium. Then this first goal released us” explains it on the official site of the Saint-Gilles Union.

He communicates with a medium. Could bring a new dimension to the defense.

Posted by: fischy | July 14, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Anybody checking in from OBX? Seems like half of Northern Virginia is down there this week.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 14, 2009 11:28 AM
----------------------------

Ugh, talk about the a Steve Buckhantz "Dagger." Been over 2 years since I was last on the OBX, after going their religiously for 20+ years.

Route 12 North.

I'm gonna go cry now. Thanks alot.

However, I'm actually going to be in the DC area this weekend and will be at my first game at RFK in over 2 years. Guess I gotta take the bad with the good.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | July 14, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Uru achim belev sameach,
Uru achim belev sameach,
Uru achim
Uru achim
Belev sameach.

Posted by: fischy | July 14, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Oops -- killed my own joke. Substitute "Haba-rugira" for Haba- nugira"

Posted by: fischy | July 14, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

We tried the Argentine pipeline to no success, so now we're looking at the African pipeline.

How about looking at some Bolivian players, with El Diablo our point man? Since Jaime went down there for a few WCQ a year or so ago, I'm surprised we didn't scoop up any Bolivians.

Posted by: billindmd | July 14, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Better than Jozy!

Posted by: Reignking | July 14, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, fischy, I didn't get it the first time, or the second.

billindmd: That's a great point. I'm surprised the Tauichi (sp?) Academy hasn't produced someone for United these last 10 years or so. Of course, they may be getting better money elsewhere.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 14, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

...it seems clear that he did get 24 caps for '07-08, including one yellow and one red.
------------------------------------------

It's too bad the era in which caps were literally given out and the era of yellow and red cards did not overlap. If they did, they could have given red caps to players who got the heave-ho.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 14, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, fischy, I didn't get it the first time, or the second.
-----------------------------------------

Would a excursion to Israel help?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 14, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Oops -- killed my own joke. Substitute "Haba-rugira" for Haba- nugira"

Posted by: fischy | July 14, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least I know now what Belafonte was singing on "Belafonte at Carnegie Hall"!

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 14, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Is one of the "others of perhaps greater prominence" Pavel Nedved?

Posted by: Konoha7 | July 14, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Make that "an excursion." Either that, or treat it as a Dickensian expression, along the lines of, "The law is a ass."

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 14, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

What about the Keita guy from Portland Timbers? He looks like he could help us up front.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | July 14, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of connections, here's a story on Lee Nguyen and Lyle Yorks representing him:

Posted by: Charisma_Man | July 14, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I got it fischy. Just thinking of the tune gives me a sore back. What is Hebrew for "Goy who can lift grandpa in the chair"?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 14, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

godpere:

Care to explain how the failure of other players from a country to make it in MLS has anything to do with Bell? Or how some random dude from Rio or Eastern Europe will just walk onto the team and be a success?

billindmd:

I believe someone asked Payne about this, and he cited the price of Bolivian players as a stumbling block.

Despite the number of South American players we've signed in recent years, the successes have been a 30+ guy that couldn't stick in the upper echelons of Argentina (Gomez) and 2 Brazilians playing in unheralded foreign leagues when we got them (Emilio and Fred). MLS has gotten good enough that any player that will help us will probably have interest from a South American club, which drives the price up.

***

Just on what's available out there, I'm more intrigued by Habarugira. He's only 20, and Anderlecht's youth academy is respectable. A quick search says he's left-sided, so at least we're looking at the obvious problem.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 14, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | July 14, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"Goy Sh'hu yakhol larim et savto ba'kise"
;)