United Wins Open Cup Rights

D.C. United has won the right to host the U.S. Open Cup championship game, meaning a victory over USL1 Rochester next Tuesday will set up a final showdown against Houston or Seattle on Wed., Sept. 2 at RFK Stadium. The U.S. Soccer Federation, which oversees the tournament, also announced that, depending on the semifinal results, the Sounders would host Rochester or the Dynamo would welcome the Rhinos on Sept. 1.

United played its round-of-16 and quarterfinal matches before fewer than 2,200 fans at Maryland SoccerPlex and will face Rochester there next week. DCU also hosted the title match against Charleston last year (RFK), drawing 8,212.

I do not know the details of the bids or how much money the teams promised the USSF, but I am a bit surprised that, if both Seattle and DCU win, the game will be played at RFK. Seattle's first bid for a trophy would draw at least double that amount, right?

UPDATE!: Seattle has scheduling, logistical and parking issues at Qwest Field and could only offer a 1 p.m. local kickoff on a Tuesday, which apparently damaged its bid against another MLS team with a competitive offer. The Mariners, who play next door at Safeco Field, have home games on the night of Sept. 1 and late in the day on Sept. 2. (The Sounders would still play at 1 p.m. on Sept. 1 if they and the Rhinos advance.)

Got it?

Feel free to use this thread for Red Bulls-Galaxy commentary tonight (8 p.m., Fox Soccer Channel).

By Steve Goff  |  July 16, 2009; 6:19 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , U.S. Open Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ching Fined by MLS ..... for Tweet
Next: Red Bulls Wreckage

Comments

A stunner that Seattle would not be the host should the Sounders get to the Final - the date must conflict with some Seahwaks event at their field.

Posted by: PhillyMLS | July 16, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Or, the USSF realized it is dumb to give the Sounders two championship matches in one year.

Plus, it's more likely that DCU will get there because we are far deeper.

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 16, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't it just mean that we bid the most?

Posted by: nmeeker | July 16, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Defending champs maybe?

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 16, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm also surprised Seattle didn't get this. But its probably better in the end so that they keep interest high with less games at Qwest.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | July 16, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

It's purely a bid process, from what info is out there and what's been said by the guys that run usopencup.com (though that's an unofficial site, they know their stuff).

This is good news and you've got to tip your hat to Will Chang, Kevin Payne, and the rest of the front office for outbidding Seattle.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 16, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

On topic: Good news.

Off topic: Obvioulsy we've noticed DaMarcus Beasley isn't the same as pre-torn ACL DaMarcus Beasley, and the question kinda is "Why?". Well, he was back in about 6 or 7 months, in time for that UEFA Cup final against whichever Russian team it was. When we hear about a football or basketball player with a torn MCL, it's a full year, and for most American football player, they tend not to be back at 100% for a full 18 months. So, why was he back so soon? Could this have really messed with him?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 16, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Seattle can't host because of baseball...

Posted by: sitruc | July 16, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'll tip my hat to the front office, but c'mon man, 10 straight home matches in the Cup?

That's ridiculous.

The system needs changing. I've got a crazy idea. How bout one pot that has all the teams in it and another pot that has home or away on a tile.

You pick the teams, then you pick who hosts the match. Repeat and rinse until the final.

It's how the rest of the world does it.

Posted by: ARickey | July 16, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhillyMLS | July 16, 2009 6:28 PM
------------------------------------------

If that were the case, the Sounders would not be hosting under any scenario.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 16, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I hate Grant Wahl... but damn, do I want to read his book...

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 16, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Anyone got the game on fsc? I just have a directv logo.

Posted by: EssEff | July 16, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to return to an issue that came up on this blog a couple of days ago. Apparently it is not set in stone that this year's USOC champion will get an invite to the CCL, as United did last year. That could be asking for trouble.

For instance, we all know that the top three finishers in the Hexagonal go to South Africa next year, and that the fourth-place finisher faces a play-in against a South American side, right? What would be the reaction if, after the Hexagonal was over, FIFA suddenly decided that only the top two teams in CONCACAF automatically qualified for the WC, and that the third-place team would go to a play-in? Do you think the country that finished fourth (and the one that finished third, for that matter) would be a bit perturbed? Would it raise suspicions that FIFA had something against the fourth-place team?

Similarly, if, say, Rochester wins and doesn't get sent to the CCL, that will raise the question of bias against USL teams. There is really only one solution: to use the same criteria for the 2010 CCL as for the 2009 CCL. Further, if U.S. Soccer wants to change the rules for the 2011 CCL, those changes should be announced before the 2010 MLS and USOC seasons begin (or at least before they are very far underway), so that there would be no way of knowing how any particular team would be affected.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 16, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

ARickey: I couldn't care less how the rest of the World does it.

Teams bid for the right to host matches in the Open Cup because USSF needs all the money it can get. Imagine if all of United's open cup matches were on the road. USSF would have been lucky to gross $500 from start to finish.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 16, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Here is the game:

Amazing goal by Esky. I hate this Beckham bashing - I hope DC shows some respect when LA comes to RFK.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 16, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks TonyG. I had a brain fart and have it now.

Posted by: EssEff | July 16, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

yes, DCU values the Cup more than other teams do. last year it was because it was our only chance at silverware and a spot in CCL, this year it's still our best chance (it's anyone's best chance, once you're in the semis, after all) and we have the depth to compete in MLS, CCL and the Cup. I wish other teams cared about the cup as much as DCU did, actually, it's a great tournament, think about it. how often do we play the Revolution or REd Bulls? and then how often do we get to play Harrisburg? much more entertaining in the knock out stages. and much better for the growth of the brand of MLS and individual teams in the US.

but yes, ten straight home ties is getting ridiculous.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 16, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Giant stadium pretty full. With fans and boos.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 16, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

WOW! Donovan! LA are actually... pretty good

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 16, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

giants stadium isnt even close to full, lower bowl only with tarps on both ends......I say mabye 18-20k if that.
and galaxy arent goo, ny is that bad!

and respect for beckham? HA, your nuts, screw him, what does he matter to DCU? NOTHING!

Now Esky will get a nice applause for hit duty in time with DCU, but once match starts, screw him too!

Posted by: dcsnowwake | July 16, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow nice volley...could've been a better ball from LD, but Eddie Lewis really struck it well.

Energie RB is awful.

Posted by: Reignking | July 16, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

He is a great footballer - you should show respect. Its alright to boo a player if he commits a foul or a harsh tackle - but everytime he gets the ball? Comeon - show some respect.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 16, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

This is great news, we'll have a chance to throw stuff at Keller two weeks earlier than I anticipated! ;-)

I really think assuming Seattle would double the Cup Final attendance is a little premature, but then again I'm sure with over a month of lead up time before the match it is possible. Even less sure if the Rhinos happened to make it. It would be nice if DCU could make get a little more aggressive about marketing the match if we make it. I know I'll be there.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

I know Red Bull suck, like, a lot, I mean, they're REALLY bad, but LA is making this look extremely good.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 16, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Booing Becks only hurts MLS...

Posted by: Reignking | July 16, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Making this look easy, and looking very good*

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 16, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

RBNY should be very thankful MLS doesn't have relegation. That is just an awful, awful "team." How Agoos and Osorio kept their jobs after the "Night of the Long Knives" in Austria is beyond me. Seriously, does anyone on RBNY know how to play? Lewis struck a rocket but jeebus, Petke gave Donovan 6 yards (Wanker, luv ya, but you're done -- Colorado had it right) and Hall, were you getting a beer rather than marking Lewis? Just pathetic.

Posted by: griffin1108 | July 16, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Reignking for agreeing with me. Boo him if he gets a yellow - Boo him if he makes a nasty tackle... but dont boo him for him giving his word and returning to the LA Galaxy.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 16, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Throw me in with Anthony the Awfully Good and the Reign Prince.

The Becks' hating makes me gravitate to his side. Good spirited booing and catcalls is one thing, but some of the 'fans' of the game are quite embarrassing in their bloggy hating.

Posted by: JkR- | July 16, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

The USSF needing money would be like me needing another hole in my head. The USSF comes in every year with millions in profits.

They can do an open draw and pay for the whole damn thing. Their just too cheap to do it.

The bidding process is a joke and it's unfair and also could bubble up with controversy if someone actually looked hard enough. For one team to host 10 consecutive home matches in this tournament or any other tournament is patently unfair and smacks of favoritism for the bigger teams.

I never thought I'd say that about an American soccer team, but there it is...

Posted by: ARickey | July 16, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

NY should throw in the towel and focus on the CCL.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 16, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

People who can, play. People who can't, hate.

Just sayin'.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 16, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Im waiting to see Chris Birchall - the T&T white dude for LA

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 16, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

so we should not boo him for acting like a little sissy and trying to run away to another league when his team is a joke??? Yet i never hear anyone say lets no boo donovan he only comes to play 100% every game especially against united. He might not always show up for games, but he works hard for 90 minutes. Yeah lets applaud becks for talking smack about our league thus UNITED, lets applaud him for showing our league the respect it deserves. Lets also name a street in his name, because he was such a great player in MLS, a LEGEND, played hard all his life and loved the shirt he wore. You do want you want at the stadium but I know what i will do, and whats better is he will walk by our section 4 times. man this will be awesome.

Posted by: Norteno4life | July 16, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

amen, brother norteno4life, amen! i am with you on this one. what an unprofessional pr#ck. i'll be there booing with you...

Posted by: birdynumnum | July 16, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Way to make your case N4life. Very persuasive.

I frequently defend Donovan on this board.

Posted by: JkR- | July 16, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I haven't watched much. Missed Beckham, did he play in short sleeves?
Beckham is plenty good still, but there is something a little bit fairyish about people clamoring to stick up for the guy all the time. Where are all you people when everyone is talking trash about Donovan and calling him Landycakes? Somehow that's acceptable? That's not hurting MLS? Then again the Landycakes crap has sure mellowed since the Confed Cup run.We can't crap on Becks cuz he's a foreigner? I don't get it.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Apparently JCO says he will never bring another player straight from South America to MLS because it takes them too long to adjust.

I'd say that's just another example of how he just doesn't get it, because that Montero kid worked out kinda well.

As I type, NY gets a goal taken away for a handball, and are awarded the penalty instead of the goal on advantage.

I expected Ricketts to save it, but Angel put it away.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 16, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Much rather have Angel earn me fantasy points than ol' grey hair.
:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so they soon got another in the 90th, and Angel hurried it, and Ricketts saved it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 16, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

And what happens a half second after I hit send? Fudge, Ricketts saves the PK... Crud.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

why isn't he wearing his shirt for the interview? Again did he wear long sleeves tonight?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Dad, Becks played in the short sleeves.

How do you get 2 handball penalty's on the same guy in 3 minutes and no card?

Posted by: JkR- | July 16, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, why did he wear the short ones? I've always seen him with long sleeves. I much prefer long sleeves, for me, I mean.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 16, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Does he ever do that? I mean, I remember him playing in long sleeves and barfing in the heat in the last world cup... what's up with that?
Lotta skin in the post game interview. Who was saying something about all this drama being sexual tension between Becks and Donovan? Are we sure that all they did was talk? ;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I didn't think Lewis's shot was particularly well struck. The keeper didn't do a very good job with it, he should have saved that shot. RB are awful. Keep playing like this and when their new stadium opens, no one will show up.

Posted by: owendylan | July 16, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Not that it's relevant or means anything, but Beckham and Donovan did give each other a brief, shirtless hug.

Posted by: sitruc | July 16, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | July 16, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------------

Damn, and here I thought I did something to cause my girlfriend's involuntary squeal earlier! Silly me.

Posted by: Kenobi | July 17, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

AnthonytheGreat:

I'll boo or harass anyone wearing a Galaxy shirt, thank you very much. If Beckham wants me to like him, he won't play for a team I can't stand.

JfAtl-ish:

I also thought that was a ridiculous statement from Osorio. So many players have come straight from Latin America and succeeded, with Montero and Hurtado 2 strong examples. In fact, they both came up this year AND are Colombian, like Osorio.

Osorio is trying to deflect some of the blame on him onto the flops they've signed, like Pietravallo and Cichero. Those guys sucked in MLS, but at some point the series of bad players coming in becomes an indictment of the person bringing them in. Perhaps Osorio's worst quality, even moreso than his tinkering for the sake of tinkering, is his eye for talent.

JkR:

They were both accidental. It would have been silly to book Gonzalez. I agree that it's an odd series of events, but a booking was out of the question. Moody did pretty well on the night.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 17, 2009 4:51 AM | Report abuse

4:51 AM Chest? That's hardcore.....

'Accidental' doesn't meet the definition of a legitimate handball call. I suspect I know what you're saying, but I thought the first one prevented a clear goal and should have been minimum yellow. Plus, I thought it hit both arms, each of which were helicoptering around his body.

No worries, I just found it interesting.

Posted by: JkR- | July 17, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

===============================

I think the criticism of Donovan mellowed once he put himself on the line in Europe again, even before his run in South Africa.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 17, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

that might have been when the tide started to turn OWNTF, but I still recall plenty of "I told you he couldn't make it" when he wasn't offered a contract at Bayern.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

This is a shame. How does DC united not play one open cup road game in 2 years. The fix is in.

Posted by: wgoood2 | July 17, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse