U.S. Soccer Rewind

Paul Tenorio will check back in with his thoughts from RFK, but for now, here's the link to the story on the United States 2-0 win over Honduras.

As you probably know, D.C. United's Santino Quaranta scored his first U.S. national team goal in the win with a strike in the 75th minute. In case you've been under a VW for the past two years, here's Quaranta's back story as told by the vacationing Steven Goff back in 2008.

What are your thoughts on the game? How did Perkins look back in goal at RFK? What should the U.S. do against Haiti?

Santino Quaranta celebrates his first U.S. National Team goal in front of the hometown fans. (Pablo Martinez Monsivais -- Associated Press)

By Greg Manifold  |  July 8, 2009; 11:29 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Gold Cup , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: Honduras-USA (UPDATED)
Next: USA-Honduras Rewind

Comments

Perkins was not really challenged tonight. Players that stood out included Marshall, Rogers, Davies, and Feilhaber. I was not really impressed with Pearce (hearing that he has a lot of coaches watching him tonight). If he doesnt get any offers in Europe, DCU should take a look at him see it that DC is high up in the allocation list and needs a solid LB.

Also, Congrats to Santino on his first USMNT goal.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 8, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

"Players that stood out included Marshall, Rogers, Davies, and Feilhaber."

Excuse me? Tino stood out way before he scored.

Posted by: redskinsux | July 8, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind picking up Pearce, except for the price tag. He should improve if he ever finds a team to start in against (although I think he should stay in denmark or something, he isn't good enough for other leagues).

I really hope Quaranta, Rogers, and Holden aren't fighting for one spot.

Can't wait to see if Tino plays against Haiti! (Ching, why do you score just so we think you're capable of doing it more than once a year?)

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 8, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Feilhaber and Davies changed the game. Beckerman, Quaranta & Cherundolo looked good.

Posted by: ahelms10 | July 8, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Rogers? I thought he was awful from start to finish. Completely overmatched. Adu pretty much stank too. His game is much more limited than I realized, even with the ball at his feet.

Quaranta, Cerundolo, Davies, Marshall, Perkins were especially good, in that order. 8s and 7s for them, 1 for Rogers, 2 for Adu, 5s and 6s everywhere else.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 9, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

re: Rogers At one point my younger daughter turned to me and said "they need to stop passing to #7--its not working."

Posted by: jmingus | July 9, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

"Tino stood out way before he scored."

Yeah, especially with that diving flub of a header. He was ok with some points for the goal. His services were generally within the area, but were rarely dangerous enough to find a head on the other end. Let's not get too excited.

Rogers was better because of his pace. He was in no way overmatched.

Adu? He was just bad. He could have sprung Rogers down the left three times but held the ball only to lose it. Repeat over and over.

Posted by: delantero | July 9, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

I feel great for Tino, it's wonderful to see him have his life & game back on track.

Also, terrific to see Troy Perkins back in DC. No he wasn't challenged much but he handled what came his way well. And of course, he's one of us.

A bit disappointed in Adu. I hoped to see more progress in his game.

After watching the A-teams play in Chicago for entry into the final round of the WC a few weeks ago, I have to say we represented ourselves much, much better - both on the field & in the stands.

On a final note, I continue to be impressed by what Charlie Davies bring to the team.

Posted by: KireDCU | July 9, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

The game showed how much talent there really is in the US. USSF and Mr. Gulati need to leave the player selection process to the real football people. Very impressed with Beckerman! He was spot on with his passing and positioning along with his composure. This group shows just how overrated Altidore, Dempsey, Onyewu, Beasley, Howard, Chin, Adu and even Donavan really are. Bradley, please wake up and take a long hard look at what you have at your disposal! Onyewu to AC? He'll be sitting until they loan him out to a lesser club.

Posted by: DAN271 | July 9, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm a homer, but I think Tino offers far more than Rogers, and I still think he has an edge on Holden. He's stronger than Holden, and while maybe not as good of a finisher, yet, I believe he still has better vision than Stuey. Rogers sucks guys, he doesn't believe in himself. He is looking for excuses, and spending too much time worried about what WE are all thinking. "I know the crowd here", "They yell all kinds of stuff at me" waaaaah, waaaaah, shut up and play the ball kid! Reminds me of Kocic blaming the crowd for the simple fact that he's inexperienced, and sucks.

Roger's reminds me of a younger, whiter Boyzzzz on a bullet train to nowhere. If you can't pinpoint crosses, or shoot what is the point?

Tino's star has been rising, his preseason injury held him back from the early season, but he's really come into some incredible form. I want him back at United, sooner than later, but I'm very happy for him.

Quaranta is playing for his life. Holden is farting around playing Zoolander with Bobby Boswell, and Rogers is an immature twerp.
Tino for SA 2010!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 9, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Rogers was terrible tonight. Adu and Marshall were also poor IMO. Tino, Beckerman, Feilhaber, Dolo and all the forwards played very well.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 9, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Btw, I thought the Honduran fans were great. In my section it was about 50/50, and there was some good back-and-forth and everyone just wanted to see their team win. It's a shame some bad eggs threw stuff on the field at the end, because as a whole they were outstanding.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 9, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Just got home from RFK. The Tino Quaranta chants cheered the heart and warmed the blood. So happy for Santino. Good to see Perkins back, too. Our back line had some dodgy moments in the first half but settled in the second; I think it'll be a good competition between 'Dolo and Spector for the right back job going forward. Adu looked awful, the Honduran defenders were stripping him after his silly moves left and right. And there were a lot of Honduran fans there, and for the first half they were raucous - I'd say 75-25 Hondurans, but they left pretty fast after Ching's goal and it was all USA USA USA from there.

Posted by: the_slammer | July 9, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Tino started to cry!!!! EMO moment.
Good for him, hope this keeps him in the roster for future games!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 9, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Only saw a few minutes..........enough to say," Hooray for Tino!!"
He has come a long way back. He seemed a good guy when I got a chance to meet him - humble, appreciative of his new lease on life, respectful, etc, etc.
Couldn't have turned out better! Just great for him and his family and friends and for the club that took another chance on him.

Posted by: googlio | July 9, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

I liked the Honduran fans, also, until a handful of them brawled after the game in my upper deck section, and there was only one security guard to try to break it up. One guy got kicked in the head by a brawler as he lay on the ground.

RFK sells all that overpriced beer, and fans get intoxicated. The reasonable thing would be to deploy enough police and security officers to handle unruly fans. It made me feel uneasy since I was with my 9-year old son.

Up until that point, I felt sad for all the Honduran fans who wore their team's jersey and came out by the thousands to watch their "B" team play our "B" team.

It seemed like the US fans were outnumbered 70/30 or 75/25. C'mon people, show your support!

Posted by: billindmd | July 9, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Re: Dan
"This group shows just how overrated Altidore, Dempsey, Onyewu, Beasley, Howard, Chin, Adu and even Donavan really are. ... Onyewu to AC? He'll be sitting until they loan him out to a lesser club."

Did you really just say that Howard was as overrated as Beasley or Adu? I can understand Ching getting criticism, and Altidore, while good, is clearly still a work in progress, but Dempsey and Donovan?? I know a lot of people hate Donovan (I used to), but the guy is CLEARLY better than anything that was on the field for us tonight.

I will give you credit on singling out Beckerman, though...I enjoyed him being paired with Feilhaber and would love to see a Beckerman-Bradley combo at some point. Quaranta did really well tonight. I thought his pairing with Cherundolo did not produce, but individually they were both very good. I agree with the "Pearce to DC" noise. I really don't like him for the national team, but he would be great in MLS (for us, of course).

Last, but not least, Adu needs to get out of the national team picture NOW. He is not effective at all; even against Grenada he did nothing other than score a goal that a centerback should've been able to put in the net. He doesn't seem as fast as he once was, he doesn't do anything effective (unless it's passing as soon as he gets it and far from goal)... He needs a club that he can play at and he needs a Nowak in his life or he'll keep believing the hype from '04.

Posted by: TassieTiger | July 9, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and Onyewu has every chance to play for Milan if he can maintain any of his form from the Confederations Cup. I have a hunch that Gooch will get his share of time with them.

Posted by: TassieTiger | July 9, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Freddy needs to be out of the national team picture for a bit. He's still very young and has lots of potential, and he will take time to develop. It would be best for everyone to take the pressure off of Freddy for a bit and check in with him in a couple years or so.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 9, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

I really hated not being able to be at the match -- I loved Tino's goal, but it made me feel even more regret at not being there. Such a wonderful and memorable goal. I love me some Benny Feilhaber -- an incredibly sweet move. Props to Ching for recognizing it. Props to Davies for seeing Tino's opportunity and laying it off to him. and, of course, thrilled for our boy.

Perkins -- I do think his time abroad has helped him. His footwork with the ball is much improved, though I thought he was still reckless in daring defenders to approach him with the ball on the ground. Ironically, it was the Honduran keeper who got burned in that way. Perkins still cheats a bit too much off the near post, but he made a fantastic save covering that gap. Overall, I was impressed. When he left, I didn't think he was ready for the national team. After tonight, I think he'd be a fine option in reserve.

Haiti? Play everybody else. Luis Robles in goal. Bring on Conrad and Heaps in defense. Parkhurst, despite the yellow, should see some action for the NE Revs faithful. Colin Clark, Davy Arnaud and Sam Cronin in the midfield (give Rogers some rest). Try Cooper and Adu upfront. (Adu looked very slow and tired on that near break after Beckerman slotted him a gorgeous pass -- he needs more match time to build up fitness). If Dempsey is in country, he should probably get a start, too.

Posted by: fischy | July 9, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DAN271 | July 9, 2009 12:13 AM |
------------------------------------------------

It's may seem silly to single out one comment for irony, given this is the internet, but I think this comment should get some kind of special recognition as one of the most ironic comments ever posted....

...Unless "DAN271" is one of the "real football people"...unlike, say, the USSF, Gulati, and Bradley, who spend day in and day out in the game.

It's also a ridiculous opinion. I guess there are no real football people at AC Milan or Everton since they like Onyewu and Howard very much. Ditto for the folks at Fulham, with regards to Dempsey. Or, anyone who has ever been associated with US soccer, who know that Donovan is among the best to ever wear the USA kit.

Posted by: fischy | July 9, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

No novel this time. I just needed to state publicly how awesome it was to see Tino score. One of my all-time favorite national team moments.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 9, 2009 1:39 AM | Report abuse

There is just no doubt that Cherundolo, Feilhaber and Davies are at a much higher level than the rest of the team that was on the field.

Ching showed why Connors cannot hold his jock.

Marshall, Parkhurst, Pearce, Tino and Rogers showed well (Rogers needs to learn how to cross the ball into the box).

The rest obviously showed that they would not be able to crack the starting lineup for the USA.

Posted by: Barracudas | July 9, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

I feel Goff did a more recent profile on Tino. Is that a false memory?

Posted by: asfoolasiam | July 9, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Match had no creativity whatsoever. Both teams plodded along in a NY Red Bull state of mind. FSC commentators used adjectives such as GREAT, SUPER, TERRIFIC and ENERGIZED during a game that was at best a marginally BORING!!!! Christopher Sullivan needs to take a deep breath during every winded verbage resembling anything OUTSTANDING which in reality doesn't merit an opinion. Too much yada yada about nothing.

Posted by: juke2 | July 9, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

To Barracudas,

I definitely agree about Feilhaber and Davies. But I think Beckerman needs to be added to that list.

Beckerman's performance in the past 2 games has been rock solid - providing much needed control and composure. He was a tireless, skilled worker out there.

In his role it's easy to overlook how much influence he has on the game, but without him in there, often times I think this US crew might have a tendency to look like chickens with their heads cut off.

Posted by: MikeM19 | July 9, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Santino had a good game. I thought his crosses were well placed besides maybe one or two. Rogers failed to convert on one of his well placed crosses, sending a volley off target. I think we should try Santino out in beasly's spot in the mexican qualifier.

Rogers didnt do as well as he did in the grenada game, but i think the hondurans saw that game and decided to play him tight. The haiti game wont be much of a test for him, i expect he will do very well in that game. I am looking forward to seeing him in a qualifier. Thats the real way to test him. Or perhaps in the final of the gold cup against Canada or Meixco. Those will be true tests.

The haiti line up should include more of Cooper and quaranta and rogers for at least a half. I have seen enough of Adu. He needs to return to Benfica asap and play and run and run and run till he cant run anymore. He looks sluggish/lazy

Posted by: g3impreza | July 9, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Beckerman has a bit of a terrier-like approach to his game but frankly, if we look at just D-mids than Clark and Edu are ahead of him. But if you're looking for a 2-way central mid (which is supposed to be what Bradley wants--not two D-mids or a D-mid and than a slightly more offensive d-mid), than Beckerman has an edge of both Clark and Edu. So Beckerman is probably in the mix for 2010.

Perkins wasn't tested but I thought his positioning was good.

Marshall was much better than some people here are giving him credit for. And while I'm not ready to nominate Rogers for Motm either, he was far better than some bashers would say. Yeah, his game's a bit one-dimensional. But it's good to have a speed burner who's comfortable on the touchline (while Donovan, Holden, Dempsey, and Quaranta have a tendency to pinch in). For Rogers, it's between him and DMB for the Left outside mid spot. DMB has experience, better defense and versatility. But right now, based on form and confidence, you'd have to go with Rogers. Bash him or not, that's the choice. You're not going to pick Holden or Quaranta over Rogers--at left outside mid. On the right side, it's between Quaranta and Holden. With Adu going back to Benfica, I wouldn't be surprised if Santino sees some minutes at forward--and that's a good thing. That's his natural position and the more versatile he is, the more attractive he becomes to Bradley.

Posted by: JoeW1 | July 9, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@DAN i have no clue what your are talking about. Onyewu will play for sure. Maldini is retired, Nesta is old as hell. Onyewu will practice and could start depending on the situation. Over-Rated?? Howard is GOD at Everton. Let me repeat that. HOWARD is GOD at Everton. The team just signed him to a 5-6 year deal because they were so impressed with his play. Dempsey hasent played his best for us yet. He may be in need of rest from fulhams season. But he is still scoring so who cares. dont really care what you say about beasly because im sure he knows he has to step up and play better. Anything said about donovan is crazy. Donovan is CLEARLY good. No one on the second team can take his spot. NO ONE. Please stop watching soccer.

Posted by: g3impreza | July 9, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

While no aficionado, I disagree with those who say Rogers didn't play well. I thought his pace clearly frustrated his marker, he earned several corners, free kicks, and even a yellow card.
Sure, he's on the "B" side; his crosses were not terribly productive, and he took no/few (?) shots. But I certainly wouldn't have singled him out for censure.
I agree with the posts for Adu, though; he's just pushed off the ball too easily. He needs to be in space on the wing, I think.
I also think that Davies must be riding very high right now; he's either not this good in Sweden or he's playing in the wrong league.
Parkman did not stand out to me one way or the other.
Overall, I thought the team played very very well except for some anxious moments on defense. Their possession was great. They have few people who can create scoring chances on their own against a determined defense, though. All in all, a very good showing against a decent Honduras team. One wonders if they were somehow unsettled by politcal events back home. I thought they played a bit nervously.

Posted by: MB_202 | July 9, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I though Tino's crosses were imaculate. Rogers, while he may had the pace and all, he did not impress at all. He lost many challenges, flubbed a wide open shot.

Over all, the team did a good job. They held the ball well and although, so far this tournament has been a comedy of errors, so many wide open chances blown.

Posted by: dogboy | July 9, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I found a hot club -- MixedMingle dot com -- for black Women and white Men, or black Men and white Women, to interact with each other. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish! Join for free to begin your serious dating.

Posted by: sallyworking2006 | July 11, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse