USA-Mexico TV Update

Insider loyalists have known for a week that this was in the works, and now it's official: The USA-Mexico World Cup qualifier Aug. 12 at Azteca will be shown exclusively on Telemundo (Spanish) and mun2 (Telemundo-operated English cable outlet). No ESPN, no NBC (which owns Telemundo), no Fox Soccer Channel.

From the Telemundo press release:

Coverage of the game on mun2 will be called "Showdown at the Azteca." mun2, the lifestyle cable network for bicultural Latinos 18-34, recently surpassed 31 million U.S. households in national distribution, and offers popular series that include "The Chicas Project," "18 and Over," and "Reventon Countdown." Coverage will begin at 3:55 p.m. Eastern, 12:55 p.m. Pacific on mun2. The network will offer exclusive game announcers, graphics and English-language feed for this novel television event.
"Deportes Telemundo has unparalleled experience in producing major international soccer events for U.S. audiences," said Jorge Hidalgo, Telemundo executive and a nearly 30-year veteran of soccer production. "The expertise of our soccer production team will make this a must-see event in any language for soccer fans across the country."

By Steve Goff  |  July 20, 2009; 12:59 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Mexico , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Simms's Injury and United Notes
Next: No Beckham in All-Star Game

Comments

NBC hates America

Posted by: Kev29 | July 20, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

America hates NBC.

Well, this little portion of America does, anyway. As much as I love The Office and 30 Rock, I don't think I'll be viewing next season, as a form of protest.

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 20, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

is "mun2" available on any cable systems in this area?

Posted by: ah___ | July 20, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

petition, etc. here if anybody thinks it will make a difference:

Posted by: irebatt | July 20, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have there email address so that we can send them a big F@ck You! Come on do you really think that "any American" who speaks "any language" can understand Spanish. I guess we should all learn if we really want to understand what is going on from the commentators. I hope everyone has RosettaStone for Spanish. I mean if Phelps can learn Chinese in a few weeks why can't we learn Spanish before the 12th of August?

Posted by: no_recess | July 20, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

The games on a weekday, at 4 pm. That's what the laptop's for. You may get your choice of languages....

Posted by: JkR- | July 20, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what the bid deal is. If you watch soccer, you should speak Spanish or know enough to get by with Telemundo's broadcast team. It's not like they're interviewing Octavio Paz.

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | July 20, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

On a semi-related note...I'll be in New York on Thursday when US takes on Honduras...can anyone recommend a good soccer bar up there? I'm used to Summers, so my standards are high. As for location, we'll be on the Upper West Side, so Midtown and up is preferable.

Posted by: daandre3 | July 20, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

is "mun2" available on any cable systems in this area?

Posted by: ah___ | July 20, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

it is available on FIOS. I found it yesterday. it is channel 275.

Posted by: Mig18 | July 20, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

is "mun2" available on any cable systems in this area?

Posted by: ah___ | July 20, 2009 1:11 PM

Yes - I know it's available on Comcast digital systems. Channel 178 (apparently) in Montgomery County. Of course, hardly anyone will get the chance to go home and watch - so it'll be a bar with Telemundo for me. Places like Lucky Bar will probably have to scramble to figure out how they can get mun2 for English commentary

Posted by: Kev29 | July 20, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

mun2 is available on Comcast in the Richmond area - Channel 178

Posted by: mmkestner1 | July 20, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: restonhoops | July 20, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Wednesday afternoon game + mun2 = ratings disaster?

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | July 20, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't quite get the outrage over this. Most of the English language announcers in this country are terrible. The match is the same no matter what language the commentary is. I would imagine that the people who frequent this forum know enough about the game to understand what is happening by looking at the pictures. At 4 PM on a Wednesday it's not like there are a lot of casual sports fans out there who would stumble upon it anyway.

I don't think Comcast has mun2. But I was also pleasantly surprised to see that FiOS has it when I switched over last week. They also have Telefutura even though the literature they keep mailing every other day does not list in the channel line up. For a soccer fan I don't know there is a better service than FiOS. You get FSC, FSE Gol, ESPN Deportes, Telefutura, Telemundo, Univision, Galavision, access to Setanta for $15 a month. Heck you even get ESPNU HD.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 20, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Anyone "connected" know when Telemundo will increase their OTA transmission power so suburban viewers can watch non-Mexican league futbol? Thanks.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | July 20, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

On another note, Namoff up for GotW. Start stuffing that ballot box, people.

And I guess I stand corrected on whether Comcast has mun2.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 20, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't even get a "bad" signal from the OTA Telemundo west of Leesburg, I get "no" signal at all. I get mun1 on DirecTV, but not mun2 - they have one listed on there (410), but you can't just order it, you need the dish to point somewhere different.
Why can't they just put their mun2 English announcers on SAP?

Of course, this is the same network that hides their coverage of NASCAR - way more popular than soccer will ever be here - on TNT instead of any of their more available networks, but then they at least have the decency to do it in English (though I'm not sure if all of what Larry McReynolds speaks can be considered "English")

Posted by: dcufan | July 20, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

fedssocr and Boogie_Knight-

I don't think this would be a big deal if anyone actually got the channel! I have DirecTV, and pay quite a significant sum for all the special sports packages and whatnot, but I still don't get either of these channels! And I really would prefer not to have to watch a game that's been dubbed as the most important game in US history by ESPN on a f*cking webstream. There are no bars in my area that would potentially show the game; I've called and asked around, and they all said they would have to pay extra to get mun2, so no way, Jose.

This is just a greedy, business-first move from Telemundo. I don;t even think NBC knows (or cares) what's going on, but I'm sure if they realized they could make an extra buck by showing it on USA or even Bravo, they would change the coverage immediately. So we need to act swiftly, and in great number! Please, everyone sign that petition! Email NBC! Get your friend to do the same! Make up fake names and email addresses and sign the petition! We need to get this game on an actual viewable channel!

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 20, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: no_recess | July 20, 2009 1:17 PM
------------------------------------------

Do some people fail to understand that the mun2 broadcast will be in English? The whole point of this gambit is to give English speakers a reason to seek out a bilingual channel that they heretofore had no reason to care about. Hidalgo is simply expressing confidence in the resourcefulness of the Anglophone audience, that they will find a place to watch the match on mun2 somewhere (friend's house, sports bar, wherever). However, I still don't understand what incentive most of us will have to watch anything on mun2 once this one-off exercise is in the books.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 20, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather listen to spanish announcing than those stupid horns in south africa.

Posted by: nairbsod | July 20, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

fedssocr,

Much as I loved seeing Namoff redeem himself, I'm giving my vote to Esky for the sombrerito and volley. Yeah, he's wearing the wrong shirt, but that goal was a thing of beauty.

Posted by: Kenobi | July 20, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedssocr | July 20, 2009 1:28 PM

It's not really about the commentary at all. It's about availability. Many people/markets do not get Telemundo (something we might overlook in a cosmopolitan city), so selling the English rights to ESPN would have opened it up to a lot more fans - casual or committed. NBC just wants the whole enchilada here - boosting Telemundo's rights by keeping part of the overall audience who would have watched on ESPN. No one will watch on mun2 - that's just a throw in.

This is one of the three biggest matches for the US team this year, and it's been relegated to Spanish language TV - on a weekday afternoon. The audience will drop by millions.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 20, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

What Kev29 said, plus NO HD!!! >:-[

Posted by: mason08 | July 20, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

anyone know why the Mexican Federation schedule the game for 4pm eastern (which is what, 1pm? 2pm? in Mexico City).

Is this pay back for making them play in a Ohio Blizzard? Smog, altitude, and now mid-day heat???

Posted by: Tweaked | July 20, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Why doesn't the Washington NBC affiliate just pre-empt that useless weather channel 4.2 for a few hours and transmit Telemundo
instead? That way, everyone and their brother can watch it free on OTA?

Posted by: Charisma_Man | July 20, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

If ESPN was carrying this match, and subsequently plugging it on Sportscenter as they surely would after the Confederations Cup coverage, this match would probably get 10x higher ratings. The 4pm timeslot isn't necessarily a total dealbreaker. Casual sports fans have DVRs too.

Posted by: DCUMD | July 20, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

"Is this a joke? And the soccer community wonders why we struggle for more mainstream credibility."

it's an NBC corporate decision, though, not US soccer. Telemundo has the rights. Telemundo is owned by NBC. NBC and Telemundo decided to put the english broadcast on their "deuce" rather than sell the rights to someone else for English.

Posted by: ah___ | July 20, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

To quote T. Soprano:

"Is there nothing without all this complaining?"

Harksey will be back to spend 90 minutes telling you about all the things that are bothering him soon enough. It's only so often that you'll have to listen to commentators who don't suck at their jobs.

Deal. OK?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 20, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

DCUMD-

Too bad my DVR doesn't get MUN2 either...

Posted by: mason08 | July 20, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@Tweaked: Probably because most working Mexicans in Mexico City eat lunch around 3pm. August is still rainy season there and it's like mid-70s temps this time of year. Also if our boys win, they can control the riots better when there is still daylight outside? :-)

Posted by: Charisma_Man | July 20, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

@daandre3 - you should go to Nevada Smith's on 3rd Ave at 12th St. maybe the best soccer bar in the country. it's in the east village but it's worth going to it rather than any random place in midtown that would happen to show the game.

Posted by: joe_hill | July 20, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

also, i do realize that summers has been voted 'best soccer bar in the country' but it's more of a general sports bar. anyways - it's your best bet, so you should check it out.

i need to figure out if Time Warner in Brookklyn carries mun2!

Posted by: joe_hill | July 20, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Just watch on Telemundo, place on mute, and provide your own commentary.

Tweaked: You got it correct. Its home field advantadge, that is why the US plays Mexico in Columbus, Boston in qualifiers, when its colder and father away from cites with major mexican communities. And thats why you get friendlies in Phoenix, Houston, LA, Chicago: bigger stadium, more mexicans = guaranteed sell out = $$$$$.

The noon timeslot has been the traditional tiemslot for games in the Mexican league for almost, ever, and the national team usually tries to schedule more difficult games at that time slot when possible: smog, heat, altitude.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | July 20, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

To quote T. Soprano:

"Is there nothing without all this complaining?"

Deal. OK?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 20, 2009 2:03 PM

To paraphrase Lance Armstrong...

"It's not about the commentators"

Posted by: Kev29 | July 20, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

GOFF! Any mumblings or grumblings about CONCACAF Champions League television coverage? Most importantly DCU's opener with Firpo on the 28th?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 20, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

yes mun2 is channel 126 in brooklyn/queens on TWC !!

Posted by: joe_hill | July 20, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I probably won't be watching at home, but it is basically impossible to get mun2 where I live (Oklahoma). Very strange considering the prominent Hispanic population in this state.

Oh well, I'll be at a bar watching on Telemundo. Commentary won't matter to me when I'm enjoying my Negra Modelo and pipe.

Posted by: Jooseppi | July 20, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

@joe_hill - thanks! I will check it out. And I'm still trying to figure out if I was mocking Summers or not...I'm generally only there for midweek Premier League games, but the food and beer selection is good and tons of tvs everywhere. I wonder if they get mun2...

Posted by: daandre3 | July 20, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I speak spanish and prefer to watch games when the announcers are speaking Spanish...but I have found myself turning off the volume when American English speaking announcers are on the job. In those cases, I have found that jazz or some Grateful Dead provide a good backdrop for a game.

Posted by: bigbadbri | July 20, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

As long as Max Bretos isn't in the booth and ESPN's little blond munchkin isn't on camera, I'm happy. (And I just confirmed that I have mun2 on my Verizon FiOs.)

Posted by: jhgodfrey1 | July 20, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

i wasn't mocking summers. it's just not as soccer themed, which is not a problem. i watched the final stage of the TdF a couple years ago there and lance's buddy jerry seinfeld was taking up the booth next to me!

Posted by: joe_hill | July 20, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

No disrespect to their years of fantastic soccer transmissions... but Summers is a dump. The food and beer are almost always stale and uninspired. It's kind of like hanging out in a bad airport bar. But you can always rely on it to show anything possible.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 20, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

NBC Universal have a slew of other channels that are more available than mun2. Some ideas:

- USA: Law and Order: CONCACAF
- CNBC: Maria Bartiromo adds color commentary on the market impact of a 4pm weekday game
- Bravo: James Lipton asks Michael Bradley his favorite swear word. Bradley see red.
- Chiller: Mexican coaches are falling like victims of a teen scream movie. Will Aguierre survive?
- Syfy/SciFi: Michael Bradley learns to say "Frack" instead.

Posted by: bergamot | July 20, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I personally think there is no better commonplace call in sports announcing than the "Goool Goool Goool Goool!!!" or "Golaso, Golaso, Golaso! ASO ASO ASO!!!"

Especially when it's the Mexicans picking the ball up out of their net against the US.

Posted by: psps23 | July 20, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@JkR

I have a 50+ inch HDTV why the heck would I want to watch it on my tiny laptop? All I am saying is that it is insulting to think that all Americans would enjoy this in another language on television that is not mainstream. To me the US soccer federation should be able to decide what channel they want the broadcast, but we don't live in a perfect world. For you who do not think it is a big deal, imagine Gooch getting thrown for a red card in the 60th minute and not getting any explanation that you can understand. It sucks royally. As boring as Harkes and JP are, I would much rather get their insite than some commentator rambling spanish a million miles an hour (no offense to any native speaking latino or hispanic this is just personal preference).

Posted by: no_recess | July 20, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

i agree with no_recess. I gave watching the spanish language broadcasts a chance with the 1st Superliga and the Copa America, and it is incredibly confusing trying to figure out the explanations for some of the calls. The no HD video thing is a big deal too.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 20, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@bergamot. :-).

Now turn off the TV and read a book.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 20, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Wah! Wah! Wah! When I was your age I had to walk ten miles in the snow uphill in both directions to see soccer on a black and white TV with rabbit ears. Actually, that's not true because there was no soccer on TV when I was young.

Really, think how far we've come that we're complaining about one game (albeit an important one) not being available for general viewing. And be grateful that because of [insert insult from previous thread]s like Beckham we have more options than ever.

Always look on the bright side of life....

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 20, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Between Bretos on FSC and Harkes on ESPN, I'd much rather watch the US-Mexico game on Telemundo.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 20, 2009 2:25 PM

FSC will have both games of the DCU/Firpo matchup. They will have a few other games as well.

Posted by: BillyBob4 | July 20, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

thanks BillyBob4. Does FSC have all the rights to the tournament? I am drawing a blank here on the coverage last year. I swear a great deal of it was on Telefutura.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 20, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

We interrupt this re-run of Chico and the Man to bring you the following live special presentation...

Posted by: IamAM | July 20, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Worst part (for those of us that do get mun2) is NO HD!!! And fedssocr is right...VOTE FOR NAMOFF!! He's in 2nd place right now - only trailing Esky by 1% point.

Posted by: soccerman | July 20, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

bergamot, you left off the obvious... Universal Sports.

Posted by: sitruc | July 20, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I have a 50+ inch HDTV

Posted by: no_recess | July 20, 2009 3:12 PM

Show off ;-)

Posted by: Kev29 | July 20, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Payback for FIFA tipping the World Cup rights to ESPN despite NBC/.Telemundo submitting a better bid, albeit one that did not involve MLS.

Posted by: beach3 | July 20, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan: I think FSC has English-language rights to CCL and Telefutura has Spanish.

Posted by: Juan-John | July 20, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

If you get Comcast then you should get mun2. It is up in the 600's here in the PG.

And to all of you complaining--I'll have you know that mun2 is at the vanguard of sports entertainment--They show WWE RAW!

"If ya don't know, you better ask somebody"...If ya can smell what Ole Yanki Yank is cookin'...

Posted by: yankiboy | July 20, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@JkR

Posted by: no_recess | July 20, 2009 3:12 PM

**************************************

2 Things:

1. Connect your laptop or any PC to that big 50". Works great on my 52". :)

2. You actually think the announcers have insight into the referee's decisions? They see what you see. They have no special access to the referee. Besides, when Gooch gets sent off, we already know it will be a bad, inexplicable call. Weeks in advance.

One last thing (Sorry, that's 3): It's been made clear every time this has come up here: USSF has no role in this. None.

Posted by: JkR- | July 20, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

@Juan-John, that was the way it played out last year wasn't it? I don't get FSC, and I won't complain about having to watch the entire tournament in Spanish if I have to. Yee Haaaw!

@yankiboy:LOL, nice of you to duck your head in once in a while brother!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 20, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29

Ha Ha!

@JkR

I understand that the US Federation has nothing to do with it, but they should because it is their team that's playing Mexico.

And to whoever came up with the laptop idea that was very clever, but I do not think the quality is the same as HD or even a regular broadcast.

Posted by: no_recess | July 20, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@DadR: Always nice to be breathing another day to be able to throw in my corny comments and meaningless 2 cents...

Now we have to kidnap Bompastor so she can't leave for her national team duty. You pick the place for the meeting. It's got to be in the evening though and if we get caught, I will swear that it was all your idea an that I was just a dim-witted accomplice).

Posted by: yankiboy | July 20, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- | July 20, 2009 4:03 PM

***************************************

How is Gooch settling in with his new team anyway? He wasn't listed in the lineups of last night's friendly. Milan shouldn't need to rest him all that much in advance of the Mysterious Azteca Sendoff.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 20, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: no_recess | July 20, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

But the rights are held by the FMF, who sold them to Telemundo. What is the USSF supposed to do? This is a game of "you bully me, I bully you" between two media companies.

I don't see how the USSF can really get in the middle of that, particularly because of the corruption in CONCACAF. If they start funding TV broadcasts, every two-bit Jack Warner wanna-be will be holding us hostage for TV rights.

Posted by: beach3 | July 20, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Joel, he wasn't on the roster because he joins them off of vacation today.

I'm with Kev29. My problem with this isn't for me. I'm watching. Pretty much anyone who cares to leave a comment on this blog will be watching. It's annoying to me because now your buddy at work or school may not watch. Because ESPN would have pimped the crap out of it. Because now even the highlights will likely be shortened due to restrictions placed on them by Telemundo, cutting down whatever bit of momentum and growth this game could have given the drive towards mainstream for this sport.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 20, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Careful with that soccer in the mainstream stuff. Not all that glitters is gold.

When soccer in the US becomes Mainstream, then every sports / news / gossip outlet will be filled with middle school dramas about who said what to who, and who isn't worthy of fan support and should go back to Yurp.

Hey, wait a minute, it's already mainstream!

Posted by: JkR- | July 20, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

So if mun2 is the network for "bicultural Latinos", what is the bicultural network in the US? Bravo?

Posted by: mjhoya12 | July 20, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

When I was a wee lad, the only soccer on television here was on the weekends, when PBS aired "Soccer Made in Germany". Then, the Spanish language stuff started coming in.

Univision's blanket coverage of the '82 World Cup in Spain was like manna from heaven. A whole world of soccer opened up for me...literally -- including Spain's #1 fan -- the ubiqutuous Manolo el de Bombo (probably the role model for DC United's own Salvatore).

I'm not complaining if I have to watch a game with Spanish commentary, or watch it with ENglish commentators on some channel I've never heard of.

Posted by: fischy | July 20, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I didn't want to say mainstream, just more "general public's conciousness". Water cooler talk, just texting buddies "did you see that" kind of thing.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 20, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mjhoya12 | July 20, 2009 4:32 PM |
-------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure Telemundo and mun2 are in the US. So, I guess the answer to your Anglo-centric would still be "mun2". Or BBC America.

Posted by: fischy | July 20, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

"However, I still don't understand what incentive most of us will have to watch anything on mun2 once this one-off exercise is in the books."

I had never heard of mun2 before. Now I know. Next time I flip past it, I'll pause to see what's on. If I like what's on, I'll keep watching.

I'll be watching Telemundo for the game, however, since I enjoy the Spanish announcers.

Posted by: WorldCup | July 20, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with that premise, fischy. I look back fondly on the bad old days - including all those you mentioned. I'm just pissed that the country is probably behind our national side more than ever at the moment - and the match is being held hostage by NBC and the Mexican Federation.

I get peeved when people complain that the 6th choice Premier League match won't be on FSC - or the Swiss league won't be streamed live to their couch. But this is a bit beyond the pale and I think its opportunism from NBC, not a sign of soccer's niche status.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 20, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

what is the bicultural network in the US? Bravo?
Posted by: mjhoya12
=================

LOGO?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 20, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

No no no, bicultural - not bicurious :-D

Posted by: Kev29 | July 20, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

what is the bicultural network in the US? Bravo?
Posted by: mjhoya12
=================

LOGO?

====

He said "bicultural", not "bicurious".

Posted by: mason08 | July 20, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Damn you, Kev!

Posted by: mason08 | July 20, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious to see how much Telemundo will be promoting mun2 and the match between now and Aug. 12th.

Are they going to advertise in SI, ESPN, USA Today, and other periodicals? Are they going to run ads on NBC's family on channels? Or are they going to rely solely on social networking?

A major channel launch requires quite a bit of promotion.

Posted by: addick | July 20, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

You gotta be quicker to the low hanging fruit mason!

Posted by: Kev29 | July 20, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

But thank you, 270, for recognizing the fat pitch I lobbed and smacking it!

Posted by: mjhoya12 | July 20, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

If you have time warner in the nyc area mun2 is 126.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | July 20, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I get mun2 with my Dish Network package (Channel 838). I'm actually outraged that I don't get Telemundo, because I'd much rather watch it with the Spanish commentary.

Doesn't anyone remember when we used to have to pay someone like Summer's to watch matches on foreign feeds and live through the bad food and worse service?

This is nothing.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | July 20, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WorldCup | July 20, 2009 4:42 PM
------------------------------------------

Here's what you're likely to see on mun2. It appears to be virtually devoid of sports programming. I wonder which shows in the mun2 lineup would be likely to bring Anglophone USMNT fans back to this channel.

BTW, this also answers the question of the preferred pronunciation: "mundos," an obvious play on words in Spanish.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 20, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Huh. Mun2 has Futurama "en espaƱol".

I wonder if they translate Professor Farnsworth's greeting directly, or to an idiom?

Posted by: mason08 | July 20, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

So, to ask the obvious, does mun2 broadcast the English version of those shows with women in skimpy outfits?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 20, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm not as upset about mun2 as I am the start time. A Wednesday afternoon game? What is up with that? What a joke.... Mexico has surpassed Italy on my most beloved list. Nothing but love to such a first rate soccer federation.

Posted by: croftonpost | July 21, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

f'n great! what's that mexican term for overconfident pride? That's what Telemundo is using here...

Posted by: DrewROC | July 21, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse