USA-Mexico TV Saga (Continued)

The story that first appeared on the Insider early last week just won't go away.

The latest: ESPN showed "no interest" in acquiring the English-language rights to next month's USA-Mexico World Cup qualifier from Telemundo when it was offered to the TV titan last winter, sources familiar with Telemundo's negotiations told the Insider.

A couple months later, when the topic was raised again, ESPN did not formally respond to a preliminary proposal, those sources said. At that point.....

.....the Spanish network began planning to show the English-language production of the Aug. 12 match on one of its own outlets, mun2, an eight-year-old cable channel available in an estimated 31 million U.S. households.

ESPN did not immediately respond to the Insider's request for comment Wednesday.

The match will be available with Spanish-speaking announcers on Telemundo, which reaches 60 million households. The mun2 broadcast will use the same video feed but with English audio. The Insider has also learned that, to accommodate viewers who have access to Telemundo only, Secondary Audio Programming (SAP) will be available in English on Telemundo. The identities of the English announcers are scheduled to be announced next week.

In recent days, sources quoted in media reports, including this one in the San Francisco Chronicle, have blamed Telemundo's financial demands for the fact that the match will not be shown on one of ESPN's outlets.

Insider sources, however, said Telemundo's asking price was higher than usual for an international match "but not outrageous."

By Steve Goff  |  July 22, 2009; 10:04 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Mexico , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arnoux to England
Next: Thursday Kickaround

Comments

Unfortunately, this isn't particularly surprising. Disappointing, yes. Surprising, no. I'm just happy that I get Telemundo. Guess I'll figure out the SAP.

Posted by: Curious99 | July 22, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

It kinda irritates and rubs me the wrong way that ESPN didn't fork over the cash to make this happen. It brings a decent national audience and would certainly be the centerpiece of their programming that day. It's unfortunate ESPN isn't getting the game. I just don't know really what to think. There's all kinds of angles in this whole fiasco. But at the end of the day as long as I have access to the game I'll be alright.

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | July 22, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

ESPN hates soccer.

It's nice to read that SAP will be available for those who need it.

Posted by: sitruc | July 22, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

maybe espn didn't want the game because it will conflict with around the horn and pti and because most of the country will be at work during the game.

Posted by: la2stl | July 22, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Off-topic, or just early for the Thursday Kickaround...From Goff's print story in tomorrow's edition:

"Eligibility paperwork for midfielder Danny Szetela, who was acquired through MLS allocation last week, is likely to be finalized Thursday. The club also has begun negotiations with Belgian-based defender David Habarugira and is planning to fill an additional developmental roster slot soon."
-----------------------------------------

Does this mean the return of February trialist Dutch midfielder Bob de Jong? Going back a year, United had striker David Blumer in for a trial. Or, will it be someone as yet unseen?

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

ESPN has never shown any love for Soccer. The real reason they were never interested in forking over the money was they will be too busy prepping for NFL season.

Posted by: UnitedinTx | July 22, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

""The identities of the English announcers are scheduled to be announced next week.""

I nominate Limarzi, Chest and I-270. Dadryan can be the field reporter.

Any seconds?

Posted by: delantero | July 22, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I suppose the other possibility is that they lock up one of the young Academy goalies -- either Hamid or Badr -- with a developmental deal.

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Telemundo part of NBC Universal? Is it too much to dream for an NBC pick-up eventhough Wipeout might be pre-empted?

Posted by: MMinVA | July 22, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm always all for adding Dutch players to a roster. They are almost always techinally sound, and you'd have to be a fool to not want a guy named "Bob De Jong" on your team.

The Dutch just have GREAT names.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 23, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

C'mon, Goff. I don't even know what you are trying to imply here. Have you been reading too much of "The Beckham Experiment" lately?

Whether ESPN "loves soccer" or "hates soccer" doesn't matter. The key is that they have shown a HUGE commitment to international soccer. They would never ignore a match such as the US vs. Mexico. There is obviously a reason why there is an issue this time around and I would assume that it has something to do with rights and/or money. That's it.

What the heck are you implying here?

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | July 23, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

What the heck are you implying here?

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | July 23, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

That's ridiculous, MMinVA. Wipeout is on ABC.

Posted by: sitruc | July 23, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Some (very) amateur photography from tonight's game:

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 23, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

What do late night bloggers think of this quote regarding the D.C.U. v. RMadrid game, "The Kings of Spain vs. the Giants of MLS.”?

Posted by: redskinsux | July 23, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

What's the big deal? I've been watching soccer on Telemundo and Univision for years. Besides, I'd much rather listen to Andres Cantor than JP Dellacamera.

Posted by: Brokenbil | July 23, 2009 2:35 AM | Report abuse

While I'll be watching (dvr'ing) on Telemundo i prefer watching in english no matter how bad the announcers are.

I have also decided to write a firm but polite note to NBC declaring my unhappiness at their decision to not show the game on an english lamguage network. despite mun2 being bilingual, it's general unavailability on english language tiers combines with its stated purpose as being the home of bilingual young latino/as makes it obvious and clear that they are discounting then entire non-hispanic soccer audience. i have decided to vent this displeasure by declaring a boycott of MBC Universal Sports (the obvious channel this should have been on inside the NBC family). This isnt about anything more than a blatant act of disrespect to the non-hispanic part of the United States.

I will brook no attempts at claiming this displeasure is somehow based on racism or whining. If NBC has decided that I, as a non-hispanic, am not part of their demographic than i am only supportong their characterization.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | July 23, 2009 5:29 AM | Report abuse

------
Will early morning do?

I suppose it makes sense given Will Chang is also a SF Giant owner.

Posted by: seahawkdad | July 23, 2009 6:04 AM | Report abuse

@Palin-McCain2012 - Goff's not "implying" anything, he's just reporting the latest info he's gotten on an issue that's generated a lot of discussion here. It's called reporting.

@sitruc -- ESPN "hates" soccer? I very much doubt that the people who run ESPN "hate" soccer, ESPN is a business and they will show whatever sports make financial sense for them to show. If they really have a gut level "hate" for soccer, I wouldn't have been able to watch all the Champions League on ESPN, or the various French and Dutch offerings. And I really doubt they would have acquired that chunk of Premiership rights recently. Even though the asking price for the US/Mexico was "not outrageous" -- they probably looked at the day and time and decided it was a bottom line loser. They're a business, don't be surprised when they act like one.

Posted by: edgeonyou | July 23, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Ah, ESPN...

If only we could get rid of Rick "the droner" Sutcliffe for baseball color, and move all the damned poker games to a separate channel.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | July 23, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

thank buddha for SAP...

seriously you want to vote for has-beens in 2012?

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 23, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

thank buddha for SAP...

seriously you want to vote for has-beens in 2012?

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 23, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

great news about the SAP, I am now happy.

Assuming DirecTV makes the SAP available ... and I can figure out how to get SAP on the DVR recording .........
but that's really all we can ask for, imo

Posted by: dcufan | July 23, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Too many of us walk around with a chip on our collective shoulder, thinking everyone hates soccer.

It's all about eyeballs and profits. If ESPN can make more money showing a soccer match than other programming, they'll show the soccer match. If buying the rights to a game means they'll lose money, they won't do it -- certainly not in this economy.

ESPN is dominated by college and professional football. Why? Because NFL and college football fans will rearrange their lives to see their teams play, either on TV or live. Soccer fans, by and large, won't (SI readers being the exception, not the rule).

Collectively, I think we need to pull the emotion out of it and think like a broadcaster who has lots of mouths to feed and bills to pay. Let's not take every slight against us as "they hate soccer!" Instead, let's work hard to get our family, friends and colleagues to watch soccer on TV. If we get the ratings, we'll get the networks.

(I don't think I managed to get a single pun in there...)

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 23, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

ESPN hates soccer.

They showed the AC Milan - America game last night because they just KNEW Oguchi Onyewu was likely to look rusty with his new team.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 23, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I may be a day late and a dollar short, but I haven't seen this info in previous threads...mun2 is on Comcast digital cable (216, I think) in the MTV/MTV2 region. I just found it last night and it comes in loud and clear (with Latino music videos:-)

I'm happy that the SAP will be employed for the Telemundo broadcast. That certainly makes sense for the network.

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 23, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

i hate soccer too!!!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 23, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: DadRyan | July 23, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

JoeDoc has it right. I translate "ESPN had no interest" as "ESPN did not meet Telemundo's asking price". I'm guessing the preliminary proposal was so high that ESPN figured it was useless to try to negotiate. Neither network is at fault; each simply has a different estimation of value than the other.

I think the SAP option is pretty cool of Telemundo.

Posted by: troy6 | July 23, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Did everyone's sarcasm detector fail last night?

Posted by: redskinsux

Terrible -- Barcelona are the champions!

Posted by: Reignking | July 23, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Did everyone's sarcasm detector fail last night?

Posted by: redskinsux

Terrible -- Barcelona are the champions!

Posted by: Reignking |

But United isn't in first, so clearly he was referring to having 4 MLS Cups, kinda like how Madrid has 31 La Ligas... ;)

What'd you think of the game last night RK? In terms of atmosphere, crowd, things like that.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 23, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

* I second the vote for Limarzi. Seriously.

* 18-year old local Maryland player Christine Nairn scored her first international goal last night to give US WNT the win in yet another scrimmage with Canada.

* With all the focus on WPS, I had forgotten how much fun it is to watch Tobin Heath.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 23, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

re:OWNTF

do you know who the Freedom player who was sitting a section or two over from the the BB & SE at the plex on Tuesday? She was sitting with a women who was wearing a USL shirt...

the freedom player was beautiful..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 23, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I was stunned when Milan scored. I had thought it was a pro-America crowd, but the stadium roared when Milan scored.

50k on a Wednesday night is pretty good. Encouraging.

The horns weren't that loud -- whew!

Posted by: Reignking | July 23, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Terrible -- Barcelona are the champions!

Posted by: Reignking

Yeah, but they'd never want to be known as kings of spain....neither the kings nor the spain part. More like the "leading independant collective football team of Catalua, superior to those of Spain".

Posted by: Brian76 | July 23, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

So apparently it's going to be Donovan to Serie A. I like it, considering his complete elevation in play whenever he plays Italy (or Italian club sides -- e.g. AC Milan vs. Galaxy).

Plus, it sets up Donovan vs. Beckham next spring.

Posted by: psps23 | July 23, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Re: "ESPN hates soccer."

Watch Kenny Mayne's piece on Fan Feast about soccer...it's good and proves that ESPN doesn't hate soccer.

Also, 3 goals in last night's Top 10 plays - 2 from AC Milan-America and the Thailand goal vs. Liverpool.

Posted by: soccerman | July 23, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I nominate Limarzi, Chest and I-270. Dadryan can be the field reporter.
Posted by: delantero
===============

I dunno. Is DadRyan eye-candy?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 23, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry people didn't realize I was kidding when I said, "ESPN hates soccer."

ESPN doesn't care about soccer.

Posted by: sitruc | July 23, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

@ bonghits -- nope I sure don't as I wasn't there Tuesday.

If you can pick her out of a line-up, here's a link to a roster with photos.

Allie Long, among others, would meet your definition.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 23, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Who needs commentators for the beautiful game? Not that Mex/USA is going to be a beautiful game...All I need is the matchtracker for the lineups/subs/cards, the Insider for a little pre-game color, and a decent tv picture. Having said that, I actually enjoyed Alexi and the English dude last night covering the AC Milan/America game, and Harksey does a solid job. The only one I can't stand is the guy with the high voice on Fox Soccer Channel. Can't FSC use a voice processor? That guy's voice is terrible...but they bring so many games to my living room I can't really complain.

Posted by: getanewnumber10 | July 23, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

@sitruc: Don't worry. Your droll comedic genius was not lost on everyone...

Posted by: yankiboy | July 23, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc hates soccer.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 23, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@ sitruc: next time turn on your sarcasm font!

Posted by: soccerman | July 23, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

ESPN hates soccer? Are you kidding? Sportscenter might, but there are more matches on ESPN than pretty much any other network (other than FSC, I guess). Not that I love their choice of announcers, but "hates soccer" is a little harsh. Didn't they just buy rights to a bunch of premier league matches?

Anyway, of course Telemundo is going to say their price wasn't high. What do you expect? Frankly, as long as the game is on some channel, then who cares.

Posted by: hacksaw | July 23, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I hate I-270.

And I-66, 495, 236 and that little side street over by Fairfax Hospital.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 23, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I'll look at the positives here...

At least the match is such a big deal now that there is a media pissing match going on.

And NBC have definitely felt some heat over the issue.

Baby steps towards international soccer becoming a real force in the mainstream media - perhaps.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 23, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Megapoints for hacksaw -- soldiering on the defending ESPN meme, despite the numerous posts noting the original "ESPN hates soccer" post was dripping with sarcasm. That sort of single-minded focus is impressive.

Posted by: fischy | July 23, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

@ JFA-ish: "and you'd have to be a fool to not want a guy named "Bob De Jong" on your team."

Are back to the Enzyte commericals again?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 23, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Will the game be on Mexican Radio?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 23, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

delantero:

I don't think there would be enough air time to deal with my inability to be concise and Tony's rapid-fire talking style. 270 would have to shout out the one-liners to ever get heard. People would be upset that, just like all American announcers, we never shut up. Eventually, this would snowball into a "mun2 hates soccer" sort of thing.

***

As for the issue itself:

The game is on, right? I can watch it on my TV, or a TV at a bar? That is my only concern. Let's move on.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 23, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

FYI for Cox subscribers in Fairfax County mun@ is channel 210.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 23, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

oopsie, I meant mun2

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 23, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

LOL! Eyecandy? I doubt it.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 23, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse