USA Gold Cup Additions

Given permission by CONCACAF to supplement its Gold Cup roster, the USA national team has added forwards Jozy Altidore and Conor Casey, midfielders Ricardo Clark, Benny Feilhaber and Sacha Kljestan, defender Jonathan Bornstein and goalkeeper Brad Guzan. However, according to the USSF, not all seven will be present for each Gold Cup match. The schedule for each player will be announced in the days leading to the matches. Of the pool of 30 players, only 18 will be in uniform.

"At times during the tournament, we may integrate these seven players with our core roster," Coach Bob Bradley said.

CONCACAF allowed the USA to add seven players "with the objective of providing the best performance possible for the public, and in recognition that the back-to-back tournaments strain players and their clubs," General Secretary Chuck Blazer said.

The USA will play Grenada Saturday in Seattle, Honduras Wednesday at RFK Stadium and Haiti next weekend at Foxborough.

By Steve Goff  |  July 2, 2009; 11:35 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , Gold Cup , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Schelotto in Demand
Next: Freedom Updates

Comments

WTF.

I know Torres needs a rest, but could Bob PLEASE show that he has a creative bone in his body?

You had an opportunity to pick the seven players in Europe and Mexico who you Didn't before.

KLEJSTAN? CASEY? CLARK? I can't believe how stupid this man is. You know what these guys can do!!

Altidore and Benny will help win some games, but Please. If you're going to do an experimental roster, you've got to add SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Zizzo, what did you do in your past life?

If you ever thought this man could pick substitutes, please let this quash that silly notion.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 2, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Well -- poof goes the interest balloon out of that story. I was interested to see some new names -- to see who Bradley thought were at the next level. I guess this means when the semis and finals come around, we can expect to see the USA field more of an "A" team.

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Huh? Bradley was quite creative with his initial Gold Cup roster; the seven added players are experienced guys available on an as needed basis.

Posted by: Steve Goff | July 2, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Zizzo is looking for a place to play. I guess that raises a few questions. One - why? Does it say something about his level? Two - Is he match fit? Three - would he be helped in finding a new team, or hurt by his inclusion?

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I mean creative in the sense that he would try out players that don't necessarily fit in his bunker, counter attack strategy. Players, like Zizzo can steal the ball and dribble, at various speeds, up the pitch, players like Torres who can help maintain calm, players like Szetela, possibly our one true central midfielder.

Right now, what we've got is a bunch of hard nosed defenders and central midfielders who have no real skill, and offensive counter attackers like Adu, Holden, and Rogers, and some big men. (Cuz big men have worked so well for us in meaningful games).

I want proof that we are trying to add some qualities that will prevent us from being creamed by teams that know what to do if we just bunker down. Rico isn't it, and Benny isn't enough. In short, I want us to be good in the run of play.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 2, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Too much to ask from an experimental roster? Yes. But I want SOME proof that US Soccer is aware that tackles aren't enough.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 2, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Zizzo just got loaned to newly-promoted Fortuna Dusseldorf.

Anyway...who cares? These guys aren't going to play, anyway. Jozy is on his way to NYC and Spain.

UnitedDemon, being contrarian, once again.

Posted by: Reignking | July 2, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Reading between the lines: Was CONCACAF worried that the US would field its C-team and thus reinforce the general lack of interest in the tournament this year? So it gave us seven new roster spots with the idea that they should be A-team players fresh off the much more exciting Confed tournament?

Or, being even more cynical, was CONCACAF hoping that the US would add some stars and increase the potential of getting the Gold Cup on ESPN, after the impressive Confed ratings?

I just don't buy the "strain on players" line when most of the Gold Cup roster was going to be different players anyway.

Posted by: JoeS3 | July 2, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I can buy some of that interpretation, JoeS3. I mean, if the purpose was to help rest players, why did all 7 spots get used on players that took part in the Confed Cup?

Posted by: crynyd | July 2, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Yes. Do care. Big freaking flaw.

I was waiting for some of my exiled players. Got riled up. As for being contrarian...

American fans are by definiton contrarian. Who else actually thinks that American players succeed on more than just luck and "athleticism."

Honestly, I didn't seem contrarian until I said I didn't think Pato was superior to two Americans of his same age. And if that is enough to make me a "contrarian," then fine.

I guess no one else saw his shaky first season with Milan. Or Adu's goals for Benfica, his PK earning dribble against Juventus, or Jozy's improving play with Villareal, or his goal against Spain.

Basically, I don't believe that, if one of the top five clubs in the world took either Freddy or Jozy and gave them minutes, regardless of output, for an entire season, that they would have done much worse.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 2, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Adu and Altidore are suffering hard from European prejudice. If they were Brazilian or Argentinean, they would be starting for major clubs their first year.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 22, 2009 6:26 PM

==========================

Rubbish.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 23, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | July 2, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

pfffft

Jozy was the 6th-best forward on the team last season. Rossi, Nihat, Llorente, GFranco, and Mati Fernandez. He saw PT because of injuries; otherwise, he would've been loaned out to Huelva.

Posted by: Reignking | July 2, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

You know... I don't really care about who gets called up for the Gold Cup... unless they play for United (and then I only care because they're missing games for United).

Posted by: TCompton | July 2, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I would like to have seen:Whitbread, Cameron, Szetela, Wynne, Simek, J. White, and Jemal Johnson or Eddie Johnson. However this is Bradley and he is very unimaginative. I find this annoying because the one thing that we really missed from the Confederations Cup was depth. I thought this was a good opportunity to establish that, but we have a very conservative coach.

Posted by: no_recess | July 2, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UnitedDemon | February 22, 2009 6:26 PM

==========================

Rubbish.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 23, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

You can't tell me there's not some bias against Americans for some reason. Adu is certainly talented enough to play some in the French Ligue and he never gets aaaaanny time. And what about Jozy? Do you really think he's not good enough to even play in La Liga 2? I don't think they have the same opportunities, or at least are viewed as being as capable as other nationality players. Right now i think the US is looked at as a good goalkeeping country and thats about it, but hopefully that'll change.

And i do think a lot of times that any and all teams (including MLS) will take a chance on a Brazilian or Argentinian just for their heritage alone.

I still don't understand why these teams will pick up players they have no intention of giving any time to. Its not like Freddy's team had anything to lose by giving him a shot. And why try to get Jozy for a loan if you were never going to give him any time at all?

Posted by: Brian76 | July 2, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Out of this group, I really only care about Jozy and Benny. So what would our top 11 Gold Cup roster look like (or rather, which would you like to see)? I'll give it a shot:

Davies, Jozy
Adu, Benny, Rico, Holden
Goodson, Parkhurst, Marshall, Cherundolo
Robles

Posted by: psps23 | July 2, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

@ Brian76

I totally agree with you about prejudice of American players and do not understand the loan to Xerez for Altidore or Adu's loan. Unfortunately we don't get the entire scoop either about players abroad. Honestly I am not even sure how the front office of Euro teams work. I think every league is different. For example, the coach is called the manager in England. Is there a reason for that? Do they have a personnel department? Who are there scouts? The reason I bring that up is because I think a team's coach may not like the player, but the front office does. I think that was the case for Freddy.

Posted by: no_recess | July 2, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Disparate outcomes are not always the result of prejudice. Sometimes they are the result of merits, especially when, as you say, there is no incentive for a European team to acquire Adu or Altidore and then sit them.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 2, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Uh, yeah, what Goff said.
If the scrubs that have already been called in can't cut the mustard these other guys will get their chances. It'd be nice if Quaranta shines and gets some playing time, he's look awesome for United lately.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 2, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Well, I don't think Villarreal knows what the heck Xerez was thinking, either. Remember, Pelligrini and Jozy were against it, but VCF management pulled the trigger.

A lot of things didn't help Jozy -- injuries, surgery, USMNT callup, and most importantly...a first-place team that didn't feel like they needed anyone's help. And, they were right. The coach was reticent to shake up the chemistry.

As for Adu? Who on earth knows? It's the weirdest story...

Posted by: Reignking | July 2, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I read this article on Torres and wondered whether his agent set up the interview so that Torres is shown with a good attitude even after not playing in the Confed or Gold Cups. Am I reading too much between the lines?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 2, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------------

Awesome insight into why Adu isn't playing. No doubt, he keeps asking to speak to the coach about playing time.

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------------

Posted by: fischy

And that Adu isn't in England.

Posted by: Reignking | July 2, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

no_recess has it right. This was an opportunity for Bob, and it was an opportunity for some of the players no_recess names to put themselves in better club positions (particularly the two Johnsons), which would only be beneficial as far as depth is concerned. The guys he has going out there mostly have zero chance of making any kind of contribution.

Gold Cup roster = opportunity, missed. Second chance (+7) = opportunity, missed again.

Same old garbage. I don't care if Bob coaches the team...just let someone else make the selections.

Posted by: duck95 | July 2, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I guess this means US Soccer has heard that Michael Bradley will not be subject to any suspension for the rumored blow up in South Africa.......because if they are unsure and Bradley does get a one game bn and has to miss the Azteca match then his father and anyone else responsible for picking the extras should be fired.....

Posted by: PineyO | July 2, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Same old garbage?

Have you seen the original roster? This is very different garbage.

I swear some of you will find anything to complain about.

Posted by: Reignking | July 2, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I really love the way people throw names around when it comes to roster selection time for the US. You start to hear all kind of obscure names that include guys who play in League 2.

I love it that the number of Americans who are playing abroad continues to grow, but as the overall player pool number goes (by pool I mean number of Americans playing the game) quantity sure as heck ain't quality. BB knows most of these guys and where they are in heir development (I trust he know better than most of us InterNets coaches do). Fault him for whatever you want, but I turst he knows who is ready for this level and who is not.

Some would rather we waste experimental slots on out-of-season League 1 and 2 players over in-season MLS players. Look I know MLS ain't one of the top leagues in the world, heck it's not even as sexy as some of the European second tier leagues, but MLS is a quality league. Some of the best to have played the game have acknowledged that fact.

This is not the last time that Bob gets to look to expand the pool, so chill. We always have that January thing where we hook up with at least Sweeden for a date. Plus in a world cup year there will be tons of opprotunities for friendlies.

To be honest I am not too juiced about the selections, and beyond seeing some of the bubble guys (like Freddy, Holden, Rogers, et al) do their thing, I am not to stoked about this meaningless edition of the gold cup either. I will watch and it could grow on me, but at the end of the day I think BB is getting out of this GC what he needs. He knows what he's looking for, and for a guy who we all lambasted and ended eating crow over a few weeks ago...I'll play it wise and hold my tongue this time. I may not like the guy's approach, but I do trust him.

But hey if we must throw names out there...I saw some kids hustle against DC United on Tuesday night, why didn't BB call some of them up? Oh wait, they don't play in Europe. Please.

Posted by: Kosh2 | July 2, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

What Kosh said. Bob's has earned at least a break, if not trust or respect, after the last three matches.

You know, Bob should really pick that guy who played in Europe and scored 25 goals in 85 appearances. What was his name again? Oh yeah, Connor Casey.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 2, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

fischy + Reignking = haters

I brought up England as an example and not because it directly relates to Adu. I know that no one can match either of you for your knowledge of football. Excuse me. T

Posted by: no_recess | July 2, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

fischy + Reignking = haters

I was just bringing up England as an example.

Posted by: no_recess | July 2, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@ I-270Exit1

I would agree with you that Bob should have earned our respect, but he lost so much when called in Jay Heaps in what is suppose to be our B-squad.

Posted by: no_recess | July 2, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Bob doesn't earn respect from me with regards to player selection. It took him over a year to realize that Charlie Davies was a legit option. He left Jonathan Spector off the gameday roster at Costa Rica. He started Sacha Kljestan ahead of Benny Feilhaber in the Confed Cup.

IMO, he lucked into "finding" the (1) style of play, and (2) top 11 of players he has. Had Ching been healthy, Davies would still be a fringe player even in qualifiers (and we certainly wouldn't have been attacking the way we have from the run of play). Had Cherundolo never gotten hurt, Spector would still be struggling to dress. Had Clark, Kljestan, and Bradley never gotten red cards, Feilhaber would still be hated on in the same breath that Freddy Adu haters still spew.

And he still plays Connor Casey.

So while I'm willing to recognize Bradley's relative strengths in his pre-game preparation and tactics for those last 3 games, I'm in no way inclined to give him respect when it comes to player selection (or in-game adjustments, for that matter).

Posted by: psps23 | July 2, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

ESPN interview with Jozy:

And as for Torres, I'm not quite sure I buy the idea of him "needing a rest." Somehow I get the (completely unfounded, mind you) feeling that there's a serious rift between him and Bradley Sr., and Torres' "needs rest" excuse is US Soccer's PR advice.

Posted by: Juan-John | July 2, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

@ no recess. Chill dude. We're just having fun.

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

UnitedDemon:

Look, I agree that our players get the short end of the stick more often than players from traditional power nations, but Pato is clearly better than any forward we have. He's got more technical ability, is a better finisher, has better off-the-ball movement, and is faster. The only advantage either Altidore or Adu has over Pato is Jozy's physical strength.

Pato starts for Milan in serious league matches. His first season there might not have been amazing (though he did meet the "1 goal every 2 games" threshold in league play that usually indicates a strong season for a striker), but he then played another season where he was very important and near-universally praised. Adu's goals for Benfica came in the Cup, and his PK dribble came in a friendly. As much as I want Freddy to succeed, friendlies and the Portuguese Cup are not even close to Serie A.

no_recess:

It's not a league-to-league difference. It's a club-to-club difference. There are no rules to how you set your club's management structure up. Basically, though, the term "manager" points to a person who is both an American-style GM and a game day bench coach (determining tactics, subs, etc).

OWNTF (1:17pm post):

Good point. For all our anger, it could well be that those other guys were just better. I believe that to be the case at Monaco; at Xerez, I think it was just a settled partnership that no one wanted to break up. In both cases, the manager has more of a responsibility to fielding what he believes is his best team rather than to the one on-loan player.

270:

I don't think there's much to read between the lines here. If an agent sets up a PR interview to appeal to US fans, he'd do it in an English-language paper.

***

5 of the 7 extra players don't offend or surprise me. Kljestan and Casey offend me a bit. Kljestan is out of form; I don't think a heavier workload is the way for him to work out his issues. Let him get into a rhythm with Chivas and eventually he'll get it together. Casey showed a distinct lack of work rate for the US, and with Ching in the squad he's redundant. Ching's injury looks to be behind him, so I fail to see the point in having Casey aboard.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 2, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm against calling up MLS players for a tournament, meaning they'll miss games for their clubs.

Posted by: alecw81 | July 2, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@ fischy

You're still a hater.

Posted by: no_recess | July 2, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I still think that judging players by whether or not they play in Europe is not an accurate measure of talent in This case.

We beat Spain decisively, and troubled Brazil till the dying minutes. Yet the only serious club to step forward for one of our player is (and this is reportedly) Everton for Dempsey.

Thing is, Dempsey wasn't even the break out star of the tournament (if Europe hadn't seen him do the same for Fulham, then they aren't even looking), as Demerit, Gooch, Spector, Donovan, Bradley, and in part Altidore showed that they deserve minutes at a big club. Howard showed why He is the best keeper on earth.

Yet why do we hear nothing but cynicism and veiled relief that the US didn't walk off with a trophy from the soccer elite?

To me, it's very clear.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 2, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

And he still plays Connor Casey.

******

I agree with you 100%. Bradley got lucky big time. If Ching was healthy Davies probably never sees the field. I would never play Connor again after watching calmly jog around the pitch after coming on in the 80th minute. When you are in for ten minutes you go all out until the whistle, period. If he's going to jog around I would much rather have Adu jog around with some skill. I don't care how many weak goals Dempsey scores I wouldn't play him in the midfield. He doesn't come back, he losses the ball all the time. He can play up top for 70 minutes to pick up garbage goals in front.

Posted by: restonhoops | July 2, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

@ no recess -- I'm a hater? Of what? Of whom?

I mean, besides anti-reason, anti-empathy neandert'als.

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

@ UnitedDemon Ives posted an article about all the interest in Americans. It has Dempsey, Altidore, Davies, Gouch and Bradley listed as people possibly on the move. I'm just glad Gouch didn't go to Fenerbache (however you spell it) I thought that would have been a mistake with how me played. I hope he goes to the EPL (Arsenal who could use a player like him and he would get playing time off the bench) or Germany. Spain or Italy would be a mistake because he is too physical and would get carded a lot.

Anyway, I think this 7 extra players is dumb. It makes us look bad. If we win people will say it's because of the bonus player (which would probably be true) and if we lose it's even worse. I am glad that we have a better chance to win now because the attention that Soccer received with the Confederations Cup. It makes me feel dirty though. I'd rather we just brought a good team if we wanted to win it that bad.

I think we should have turned the offer down or brought it more inexperienced players as the 7. The too heavy schedule doesn't make idea sense to me as an excuse. Why bring the players from the previous tournament if the workload is too heavy? Every team should have received the bonus or none, it isn't a level playing field.

The only problem I have with any of them is that if they are from Europe they receive no time to rest before their league starts up again. If they are in the MLS they are away from their team far too long. I have a feeling this could lead to injuries from overtraining for an extended period of time.

Posted by: bighungry | July 2, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

How well Couch played, not how me he played. That I checked Gouch didn't play me... I hope. Maybe I repressed the memory.

Posted by: bighungry | July 2, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

@UnitedDemon -- Howard, Bradley and Dempsey already are playing for 1st division clubs in top leagues -- and Gooch is likely to land a deal with one -- but, it generally takes years to build the kind of rep that brings in transfer offers from the big four in the top leagues. Other than Howard, who is a fixture with a pretty big club, I'm not sure anyone showed enough in SA to get an offer from a big club. I'm even a little surprised at the Everton talk for Dempsey -- surprised, wary and pleased.

No one else wowed me, so it's not surprising they aren't getting big offers. DeMerit was great, but everyone knows he was not the first choice starter. So, the bigger European teams will watch him closely with Watford this year. Who knows -- if things work out for Watford, he might even be captaining an EPL side in a year. Feilhaber is going to want to be in training soon, too.

@Chest -- I wouldn't make too much of these 7. I'd be surprised if they see much time. Altidore is expected on July 13 when training starts with Villareal. Casey is only being named in case Ching's hammy flares up again.

I do think that Bradley might want to take another look at Clark and Bornstein. Maybe Sacha, too. But, there are other players to see, and I expect he'll play them more...

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm just glad Gouch didn't go to Fenerbache (however you spell it)

Posted by: bighungry | July 2, 2009 5:23 PM |

-------------------------------------------------

It's usually spelled Gooch.

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

fischy, Reignking (in particular)

No one is advocating calling up Jay Denny. We're talking about guys with talent, who are either IN decent leagues on part or better than MLS (Denmark, English Championship), or who belong there (Jemal Johnson). This team is never going to move forward and find depth, much less anything even better, through Jay Heaps. Middle-of-the-road MLS players aren't going to do it, especially when some of these guys he's either never or rarely seen on the NT field.

Same old garbage - yes, I did see the original roster - and it is different garbage...what is the SAME is Bob's attitude towards new players who don't play in MLS. Gold Cup is a PERFECT opportunity...not taken.

Posted by: duck95 | July 2, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Johnson? Because he finally scored some goals, playing for a League Two side? Seriously -- is that much better than USL? He hasn't succeeded at higher levels -- though I'll grant you he was young and inexperienced. I'd love for Johnson to show the promise he must have had when Man Utd discovered him. And, he might. Look at Spector. But, his resume doesn't scream national team. Szetela, Zizzo and White? Adu can't get in the lineup -- you think these guys are in match shape and form?

If they start playing, there'll be a chance to get an invite to camp. Otherwise, there's always 2014.

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

fischy, Johnson played in League 1, not League 2. When he got time in the Championship with Wolves, he had a good deal of success. He just fell out with Mick McCarthy. It's never been an issue of talent with him, it's been attitude, and it's looked like he's grown up a lot (especially under Paul Ince). I'm pretty sure he'll play in the Championship this year, and then we'll see.

I believe it was Blackburn and not Man U, that's where he spent his youth time and one or two matches (one in which he scored). Attitude killed him there too.

"His resume doesn't scream national team". And Jay Heaps does? As well as some of these other yahoos Bob's got on the GC roster? Even Jiminy Cricket Wynne. He's got as much business, if not more, on an experimental roster as anyone there now.

And White - if Feilhaber is in match form, why isn't he? He's been playing too.

Posted by: duck95 | July 3, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse