Video: United-Rhinos

You'll get a look at the controversial handball, the goals, Khumalo's basketball-shooting celebration and the serious injury suffered by the Rhinos player (for the squeamish, it's at the 5:30 mark):

By Steve Goff  |  July 22, 2009; 6:28 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , U.S. Open Cup , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Surgery for Khumalo
Next: Arnoux to England

Comments

ouch.

Posted by: Konoha7 | July 22, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Ankles are not meant to turn that way, ouch ouch ouch

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | July 22, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I take it back. Pontius was offside. The injury was really gruesome. Like Eduardo's. Close-up photos of the incident might look just as bad. I still think Pontius had a tough chance to beat the keeper on the final breakaway...and I still haven't seen a real infraction justifying a penalty kick. The Rhinos have a legit beef.

One further observation. I hadn't noticed Jaime having to leap over the fence, after the goalie tipped his shot over. That fence is a bit a safety hazard, no? Like the hill behind the goal at Old Trafford. Sooner or later, someone's going to hurt themselves there.

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, have to say the PK was bogus.

Nice to know what you're talking about, no?

I still don't get how Khumalo broke his wrist. A ball hitting your arm shouldn't do that.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 22, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I thought I saw the Rhino def (blond?)play the ball with his hand. Limarzi called it immediately.

I have to say I thought the gruesome injury was from a fair tackle. The Rhino was a clear second to that ball.

On the winning goal, I think Pontius' run must have caused the defender to take his eye off the ball resulting in his horrible misjudge of the bounce. If true, a great example of making the seemingly pointless run because you never know what will happen, and having it pay off. Kudos to Boyzzz for running for the follow up.

Posted by: JkR- | July 22, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Bogus PK.

Not a good angle to see whether that DiRaimondo challenge deserved a card or not. I was on the far side and I thought it deserved a red. From that angle though, it didn't look bad at all.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 22, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I agree with JkR about Pontius, on that clip it looked like he was running hard purely on the slim chance the defender would screw up -- and voila!

From that clip, the tackle looked hard but legit.

Looks like both teams had plenty of chances and finishing was a problem all the way around.

Posted by: edgeonyou | July 22, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I would have missed his hand.

-- Hope Solo

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 22, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

So how come the video wasnt made available during the game?!?! I'll be there on Sep. 2nd!

Posted by: boda-united | July 22, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

His shortcomings may be annoying, but Boyzzz seems like he'd be fun to hang out with.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 22, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: boda-united | July 22, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, there wasn't the available bandwith to be able to broadcast the game live on the internet.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 23, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

That bent ankle rivals LT and Joe Theismann as well as that baseball player who broker his leg sliding into 2nd base, was it an Oriole?

Best of luck on the recovery.

Posted by: Jeffreymsoltz | July 23, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse