Wednesday Kickaround

*CONCACAF announced yesterday that the USA would be allowed to add seven players to its Gold Cup roster because of the strain caused by the recently completed Confederations Cup. However, "We never asked for the additional spots on the roster," USSF spokesman Neil Buethe said. The USA didn't decline CONCACAF's offer. But it will not carry a 30-man squad throughout the tournament either; instead, it will have at its disposal those seven extra players when Coach Bob Bradley feels he needs reinforcement. The identity of the bonus players will be announced today.

*Watch a South Jersey TV station's report about the United-Barons match.

*Estudiantes attempts to protect its one-goal lead in the Copa Libertadores semifinal series with the second leg at Nacional tonight (8 p.m., Fox Sports Espanol).

*Former MLS coach Tim Hankinson is going to India.

*Stephen Colbert takes on soccer!
The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Is it Time to Care About Soccer?
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorJeff Goldblum

By Steve Goff  |  July 1, 2009; 10:38 AM ET
Categories:  Gold Cup , Libertadores , U.S. Open Cup , U.S. men's national team , World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: DCU, USA, Esky, Ricketts, Revs

Comments

Any Barra Brava guys come home with somebody else's eyeball last night?

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 1, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

The more mainstream exposure of soccer the better me thinks; that Colbert clip was better than expected actually, and the Lalas interview was pretty funny as well.

Posted by: PEddy | July 1, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I think that the US is allowed to bring more players because the refs already know we'll be getting red cards.

Posted by: Reignking | July 1, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Reignking, check your pockets...

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 1, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Last night, when Colbert said "soccer superstud" and Alexi Lalas popped out, I began screaming obscenities at the television. Number 1, was Mike Burns not available? Number 2, I loathe Alexi Lalas. Number 3, how about bringing one of the PLAYERS on television to talk about whether Americans should care about soccer.

Sorry, I had to air those gripes out.

Posted by: TwinCity | July 1, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Steve:
Your analysis of last night's game was good, but you I think you missed Boyz Kumalo. His speed and dynamite crosses were really good. He should be on the field more often. Might be our next top forward, and might give D.C. some outside pressure which would spread MLS defenses more.
Great venue for an evening of soccer in the country.

Posted by: lemovs | July 1, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

two hilarious things from that mumbaimirror.com article:
1) steve ralston was referred to as a "renowned" palyer!
2) their security captcha question (to prevent spam-bots) was: "8 divide by 8". i strongly doubt that 50% of american netizens could correctly answer that question! (its 8, right?)

Posted by: dfunkt | July 1, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

This may surprise you, but there are no Red Bulls on the USMNT, so no one was local. Lalas has nothing else to do.

They could've had Andrew Boyens, though.

Posted by: Reignking | July 1, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

8 divided by 8 is 1.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 1, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Hankinson began his playing career...in Iceland! Thank God for MLS now...

Posted by: Reignking | July 1, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Does the Indian league play a summer schedule in the 124 degree heat? If they do, the astute fan will certainly be wearing a knitted scarf.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 1, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"Still can't understand the Coach's three- man back line approach. It was shredded by a semi-pro team last night in the second half. Think what MLS teams will and have done to it!"

------------------------------------------

Rather, think what other USL teams will have done to it - see it that only two MLS teams made it out of the open cup last night. I understand most MLS clubs are starting their reserve squad but, dang, comeon...

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 1, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Nice to finally see some video. Watching the penalty call, I can see why it was called, though it's hard to tell whether the goalie got N'Silu, or whether Ange took a swan dive. I was watching the ball and missed the foul live. Also, hard to tell whether Devon did get his hands on the ball to keep it out. I thought the Barons players were signaling for a goal, but it seems they were probably signaling for a penalty. Their defending let them down on the free kick. I realize the wall cannot react quickly, but to see Simms flash in there and knock the ball loose, then to see Boyzzz and N'Silu follow in for the loose ball, with no defender in sight? Not so good.

Lalas was the right man for the job. Casual fans may recognize him, even without the goatee and wild hair. And, he does the ESPN thing -- they'll be listening to him during the World Cup. Finally, he has personality. If one of the players had been transiting thru NYC, that would have been cooler, but Lalas was a good choice.

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

That broadcast from Jersey is hilarious. What game whas their reporter at? I heard nothing from their supporters and they were next to me. Of course, a couple of them got their butts whupped and arrested by the police after match. Stay classy, Jersey!

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | July 1, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

@Boogie Knight -- First half, I sat on the quiet side. When the "We can't hear you" chant broke out, I remarked "Seriously. Barra, you guys gotta do better -- make some noise." It's rare that the Barra goes quiet. They did last night for several stretches. And classy? What about the white Barra member who 'got all street' while the security was dealing with the demonstrative OC fan? Yelling and gesturing at the guy in a ridiculous gansta pantomine? Real classy.

What game were you at?

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Boyzzz was a disaster -- refused to take on college-aged defenders, misplayed the ball often, no threat to score. Other than his speed, he offered nothing. Considering the opponent, he was awful.

Posted by: Steve Goff | July 1, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

lemovs:

1. Khumalo was one on which Goff got his rating right: he was the worst DC player on the pitch last night.

2. Think what MLS teams will do against us if we use a three-man backline? We've been using a three-man backline all season long so far, with the exception of the match we just played in Colorado (a four-man backline that got shredded).

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | July 1, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Marta is at the Plex Sunday.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 1, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Any news yet on who exactly DCU is going to face in Champions League?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Aren't they playing Chimichanga on July 28? I thought that was Special Game C.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 1, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Definitely Khumalo was not good, would have liked to see him taken off. N'Silu looked like he was afraid to go at the youngsters. That being said United are through unlike some of the other MLS squads, and a big shout out to the other hometown team GO HAMMERHEADS thanks for putting the Fire in their place.

Posted by: MOCker | July 1, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Any news yet on who exactly DCU is going to face in Champions League?

Posted by: DadRyan

Hey, I'm doing all I can :)

Posted by: Reignking | July 1, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I am really amazed by this gift from Concacaf. I know we are currently tops in this region, but they don't have to pay us tribute.

As for the seven... White, Whitbread, Zizzo, Szetela, Orozco, and whatever Bob feels like throwing in there. I'd say Pontius deserves a look, but after last night, I think it is all quiet on that front. (He and Gomez are our offense now).

Torres won't be one of them. He says he needs rest anyway. How can you not like this kid.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 1, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Looking for Firpo news...found this.

No Quintanilla at the Gold Cup -- because he has preseason training with Ermis of Cyprus -- recently promoted to the first division of Cyprus.

Posted by: Reignking | July 1, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Bonus players? Are you kidding? This a tournament hosted by the defending champions. The US should decline this immediately.

I mentioned this two years ago, but I think it is time for the Gold Cup to be played in another country. I think Canada would be a great option and would get very good crowds (I still remember being impressed by their U-20 World Cup two years ago).

Posted by: diego_r | July 1, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Freedom play tonight against the Red Stars up in Chicago. Game will be webcast if anyone wants to watch.

Heard they waived Joanna Lohman yesterday - any idea on who they are clearing the space for?

Posted by: soccerfan80 | July 1, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Earlier in the year they said they continued to talk to Lene Mykjaland of Norway and Louisa Necib of France. I think they still have one international slot open.

If they can find another in France half as good as Bompastor and Abily, that would be tip top.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 1, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steve Goff

What he said.

I thought Boyzz what all over the place but not really getting anything done. He tried some crosses that were pitiably weak that just killed the possession. He was stoned a few times from a defender shorter than him.

I'm reminded of a Faulkner quote: Full of sound and fury and signifying nothing. (I think that's the first time I've used that quote in normal conversation since my Faulkner-phile AP English teacher forced me to read it in 1983. Thanks, Mrs. Wayner.)

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 1, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

'superstud'?? Gah, i almost lost my lunch!

Let's watch for the "Colbert-bump" now...

Posted by: JB252 | July 1, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

it is umea for the WPS all star game

Posted by: OWNTF | July 1, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

"Full of sound and fury" is Shakespeare, most famous speech from Macbeth. Faulkner was quoting him.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 1, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"I think you missed Boyz Kumalo. His speed and dynamite crosses were really good. He should be on the field more often. Might be our next top forward, and might give D.C. some outside pressure which would spread MLS defenses more."

That's the funniest thing I've ever read on this blog. But frankly, the comic relief this person brings to the field (I can't bring myself to call him a 'player', because that connotes a shred of ability) should be enough for all of us.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 1, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UnitedDemon

I said she was a Faulker-phile, not a Shakespeare-phile! :-)

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 1, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Phile it in the circular-phile.

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan:

I haven't read anything new about the topic. Technically, selling their spot in next season's league doesn't mean they lose their spot in a different competition. After all, where they play tomorrow doesn't change what they did yesterday. That said, this is CONCACAF, so I expect they'll announce a new opponent literally the day of the game.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 1, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

There is absolutely nobody smarter or funnier than Stephen Colbert.

DadRyan, did I miss something? I thought they announced DC would play Chalatenango several weeks ago?

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | July 1, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Sal Zizzo -- anyone have a clue where he's going to land?

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

There is absolutely nobody smarter or funnier than Stephen Colbert.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | July 1, 2009 1:41 PM

I think 270 and joedoc have him beat by a mile.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 1, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@fischy -- I happened to see the play that led to the penalty kick (thank you USL Live . N'Silu was definitely taken out pretty hard by the OC keeper, that was definitely not an intentional dive. He landed pretty hard on his back too. A pretty fair call IMO.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 1, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Chalatenango is broke and sold their place in the ES 1st division; it is possible that 2nd-place LA Firpo will replace them, but there hasn't been anything official yet.

Posted by: Reignking | July 1, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks B&RRD. The check will be in the mail as soon as Joe Doc kicks in his half (with stoppage, that 55%).

and DrBeaker, I know it was a typo, but it;s Faulkner (with an "n"). Faulker might imply that your English teacher was was giving you extra credit for Dickens.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 1, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Am I too much of a homer to think that Chalatenango should have to forfeit if they are broke? I understand selling your place within a national league, but no way should CONCACAF approve them selling a spot within a "Champions League". Either they need to forfeit, or the spot should go to the next highest finisher in the ES league.

Posted by: DCUMD | July 1, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Now THAT'S funny, I-270!

We don't use dollars in Haymarket. We barter.

Joe Doc: "Say, Fred, how much for that beef jerky?"

Fred, owner of Fred's Corner Grocery: "Well, Joe Doc, that'll be a chicken and a can of chaw."

Do you know how hard it is carrying around a chicken in your wallet?

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 1, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

DCUMD:

To answer your opening question, yes (in my opinion). Unless they fold entirely and cease to exist, there's no reason to connect their financial woes with their spot in the CCL. They won it on the field, and CONCACAF approved of them playing games at Cuscatlan. They met all the qualifications. There is absolutely no justification for them being forced to forfeit, at least at this point.

If Chalatenango tries to sell the CCL spot, then yes, CONCACAF should absolutely step in. It's not a spot that can be sold by the club. However, all that's been said is that they're selling their top division spot. Some places allow that.

Other ways I could see them being replaced would be if they can no longer afford to rent out Cuscatlan for their games (and CONCACAF should be making sure they can afford to host 7 games there, since that's the number of home games they could theoretically have).

In fact, that's the way I see CONCACAF dealing with this. They'll say that Chalatenango can't ensure a proper stadium throughout the competition, and Firpo will take their place. If that's actually true, then CONCACAF is well within their rights. If it's just trumped up to throw them out for a business transaction that was legal and had nothing to do with the CCL...well, I suppose none of us will be shocked. This is CONCACAF, after all.

From our perspective, Chalatenango will probably be the easier opponent. Their drop down will mean that their good players want to leave, and their financial troubles will make them more likely to jettison high earners. Plus, Firpo will have a lot more support here than Chalatenango.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 1, 2009 2:32 PM

and 270, I know it was a typo, but semicolon's aren't interchangeable with apostrophe's. Or perhap's you're making a statement that there are too many apostrophe's being used in our illiterate society today. That I'll give you. :-)

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 1, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

More coverage of ESPN's coverage of WC10. It's an interview with an ESPN producer, but one who is a soccer fan. Most of the details may not be set in stone, but it sounds good at this point.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Kaka, Ronaldo, now Benzema. I think DCU should put out the reserves in August.

Posted by: peridigm | July 1, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Eskandarian to...not Real Madrid, but the Galaxy.

Posted by: Reignking | July 1, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Real Madrid deserve to fail in an awesome fashion. But, with no defense, and mega stars all trying to show they are worth more than the other, what am I worried about?

If Madrid collapses under financial burdens, twill be a bonus.

Also, Goff, you're killing me on who the seven will be. I don't like to wait for disappointment.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 1, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JP-10 | July 1, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF

As an American fan of the women's game, what is your opinion about Marta as a player?

Posted by: JP-10 | July 1, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse
------

Here's hoping it's not a one-off thing like MLS games of the week, where they talk about soccer during the game and halftime, but as soon as it's over it's as if it never existed...

Posted by: Juan-John | July 1, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

We need someone to run a blog that provides coverage of ESPN's planned coverage of next year's World Cup.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

DC United's U-17/18 team advanced to the final eight in the first ever U.S. Soccer Development Academy Playoffs.

New Jersey's PDA continues to field probably the strongest youth teams, as the only club to make the final eight in both the U-15/16 and and U-17/18 levels -- bot props to DC United.

The final eight also includes teams from Boston, Dallas and Carmel, along with the US U-17 side representing IMG. The DCU Academy team is in a group with a Chelsea Academy side from Raleigh, PDA, and Real Colorado.

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

@fischy I agree with you on the second DC United goal last night. Before I read your comment, while watching the video from the New Jersey TV report, I couldn't believe how slow the defenders were to the ball following their keeper's initial save. That's the slowest reaction I've seen in quite a while.

Posted by: billindmd | July 1, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

@Juan-John

"ESPN will have two on-site sets, including SportsCenter..."

They'll probably throw in some South African features during SportsCenter like where is Zola Budd now. We'll also have to put up with ESPN's acting as if they discovered racism, poverty, and AIDS in South Africa. But that's when you can get up for another beer.

Interestingly, Wilbon mentioned in his chat that his WC attendance is confirmed. I guess that has more to do with ESPN than the Post, but I hope WP can get a few columns out of him.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 1, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Marta is at the Plex Sunday.
Posted by: OWNTF
================

Now ReignKing and JacobfromAtlanta-ish have no excuses about transportation.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 1, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps we need someone to blog about other internet sites that cover media reporting on of ESPN's coverage.

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Before anyone beats me to the punch:

We lost Karl Malden today.

Where? I suppose somewhere on the streets of San Francisco.

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Here's a question for everyone:

What happens if we don't qualify for the World Cup? : ) Does Fowler stay home to interview Joe Pa and Pete Carroll instead?

Posted by: Hoost | July 1, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

No -- but, Sam's Army will hunt you down....

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Hoost, there it is!

Fischy: I think Karl learned today that he can, in fact, leave home without it. Where he's going, he can't take it with him, anyway.

Rest in Peace, Karl.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 1, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

@JP-10

Crazy speed, skill, vision, tenacity -- FIFA player of the year right? When you're rooting against her team (and I always root against Brazil women and the Sol) every time the ball goes her way, you hold your breath. I don't care for the step-overs with 3-goal leads, I appreciate flair more when the game's on the line. But that's probably just a personality defect on my part.

I hope Marta draws new fans to the Plex, and they get to see a Freedom victory.

But the Sol player I most want to see in person is Abily. The media will pimp Marta and Wambach, to the extent they don't ignore the game entirely. But Abily and Bompastor are magnifique!

Posted by: OWNTF | July 1, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

JP-10 -- what do you think of her?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 1, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow. He was 97, no wonder his cute little teenage bride wouldn't sleep with him.

Alexis Arguello is gone, too. He didn't become too well-known to Americans til he was on the downward side of his career and he was fighting guys like Boom Boom Mancini and Aaron Pryor.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 1, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Obviously I'm not hating, but, someone mentioned a record number of posts yesterday, and at 9 it's the most I can remember. Today is at 1, the least I can, and frankly, I appreciate the symmetry.

Goff appeals to me yet again!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 1, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF:

I agree with you. I'm specially impressed by Marta's speed and strength on the ball, considering her diminutive size. Tenacity is a good way to summarize it. Creative player no doubt.

I was not sure about her ability to mesh with this new group of players and share the ball effectively but she has been surprisingly unselfish in setting up her teammates.

Glad to see the positive attention she and so many other good players is drawing to the league. My 11-year old youth team is looking forward to seeing them play live...

Posted by: JP-10 | July 1, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

You're very articulate for an 11-year old....

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

@fischy - all credit to the U18s. I was down there working the tournament and they romped through their group, 3-0-0 with an aggregate score of 13-1, I believe.

Posted by: the_slammer | July 1, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

That Esky trade might be interesting. First, a fit Esky gives them a different look up front from Buddle and Gordon. It's also worth noting that Arena described him as "versatile"...we might see him play some left midfield (at least as a sub...with Dunivant fit, Lewis should be consistently starting there).

The other thing worth noting is that, to make room, they cut Tudela loose. They've only got 2 defensive midfielders left as a result (Kovalenko and Miglioranzi), and both have had some injury issues recently. Could they be looking to sign someone else for depth there?

Final Galaxy note: Looking at their roster, they'll be replacing Ricketts with Josh Saunders during the Gold Cup. This will probably give them a lineup entirely comprised of players eligible to play for the US (assuming Kyle Patterson isn't about to crack the team).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 1, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 1, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

If I see Karl, I'll let yous know.

Posted by: EssEff | July 1, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I saw United v Madrid ticket sales notice at my office news for the employees. Special offer, who gets discount for ordering over 20 tickets, same discount for each employees. They are really pushing hard for this.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 1, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

John Steward would have been more ideal since he is a big fan of the sport.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 1, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

It's Stewart, not Steward.

Any chance the Galaxy found Esky especially attractive because a big Iranian expatriate community there has fond memories of his papa?

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Marta is at the Plex Sunday.
Posted by: OWNTF
================

Now ReignKing and JacobfromAtlanta-ish have no excuses about transportation.

Posted by: I-270Exit1

I might ride Marta tonight. I'm going to the Phillies game.

Posted by: Reignking | July 2, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

As the kids say, ReignKing, TMI.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 2, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

BTW, Colbert made a fool of himself when he asked his producer to show some “thrilling soccer highlights” and we see video of players of a team in blue passing the ball around sort of aimlessly. The camera then cuts back to Colbert snoozing.

The thing is, unless Colbert or his producers are in on the joke, they made fools of themselves with that clip as they missed one of the greatest goals of all time: a 25-pass move that resulted in a goal for Argentina against Serbia in the 2006 World Cup in Germany:

Posted by: tintinyana | July 2, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

tintinyana-

Out of all the video of players knocking the ball about without plan or direction, do you really think they picked that particular play by chance? Of course they were in on the joke.

Posted by: mason08 | July 2, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse