Wednesday Kickaround

Let's keep it simple this morning.....

MLS ALL-STAR GAME
Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
MLSers vs. preseason Everton
9:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2, Galavision
(RSL's Javier Morales will wear No. 77 in honor of teammate Andy Williams and Williams's wife, Marcia, who has a rare form of leukemia.)

WASHINGTON FREEDOM
Maryland SoccerPlex, Boyds
Freedom vs. Boston Breakers
8 p.m., Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic
(With a win, the Freedom would overtake Boston for third place and strengthen its playoff hopes.)

CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
BMO Field, Toronto
Toronto FC vs. Puerto Rico Islanders
8 p.m., Fox Soccer Channel
(A fun matchup between the Canadian champions and a USL1 side that reached the semifinals in the previous tournament.)

Keep reading for a list of additional televised matches.....

*The rest of the TV schedule:
Manchester United-Boca Juniors 12:25 p.m. ESPN Deportes
Bayern Munich-AC Milan 2:30 p.m. ESPN Deportes
Aston Villa-Atlante 2:30 p.m. GolTV
Besiktas-Porto 4:30 p.m. GolTV
Mexico, San Luis-America 9:30 p.m. Univision

By Steve Goff  |  July 29, 2009; 8:36 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , Freedom , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: The Return of Wynalda

Comments

The CCL is off limits to me for awhile.

Posted by: croftonpost | July 29, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Why is the Freedom match at 8?

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Is it really too much to ask for a comprehensive listing of the CCL television coverage? Why doesn't the CONCACAF website have any info? Is tonight's game really ONLY on FSC? WTF?

I'm losing it. I'd say one of the baby steps in getting this tournament any respect would be a gosh darn accurate schedule of where and when to watch the stupid thing don't ya think?
I'm about to give up.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Gooch vs Bayern? Interesting...

Posted by: carmines757 | July 29, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Not to worry dadryan, you can check out Heather Mitts and Sonia Bompastor on Comcast tonight.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 29, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm feelin' you there OWNTF. Already in the plans.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Bayern, there's still talk about Ribery (today, 94 mil euros). Just put this to rest!

You can watch the Incredible Hulk for Porto.

I'll be watching Top Chef.

Posted by: Reignking | July 29, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 9:29 AM

==========

To be fair the site does have TV info, but just not helpful info (unless you can travel backwards in time to the final leg of the 08/09 tournament)

Posted by: emanon13 | July 29, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Interesting Stadium read regarding DC United.
I'll take whatever I can get!

Posted by: ussccr | July 29, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

A-rod didn't make the trip for Boston - interesting although not unexpected considering she only played about 15 minutes in their last game.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | July 29, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I'll be watching Top Chef.
Posted by: Reignking
===================

Is that still hosted by Padma Lakshmi?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Viewing Party:

The DC Division of the Islanders Foreign Legion will be having a Puerto Rico-TFC vewing party tonight @ Momo's on U St.

Everybody is invited to attend.

If ya' stop by holla atch boy.

(DadR-If you can make it your first drink is on me).

¡Vamos Islanders!

Posted by: yankiboy | July 29, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Steve: Any update on Marcia Williams? I thought I read somewhere that she found a donor and had the transplant in Seattle.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Is that still hosted by Padma Lakshmi?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2009 10:01 AM

Not the 'Masters' edition (currently running - and pretty good, IMHO). I'm guessing you share an appreciation of her talents? She's lovely.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 29, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

No, TC:Masters is hosted by someone that I am stunned was ever a model. I don't get it.

Chiarello FTW.

There are CL 3rd-round qualifiers today.

Posted by: Reignking | July 29, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the invite yankiboy, I am probably going to just be chillin at home decked out in my Official MLS Allstar Gear and basking in the glow of the star-studded event...Is Ryan Seacrest hosting and who is the musical guest again?

You'd never know reading this blog Reignking...
I thought Toronto/PR was the only match...;-(

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

DadR: If my beloved Puerto Rico Islanders were not playing TFC tonight I would be at the 'Plex, hoping to not get rained on cheering on the Freedom and shedding a tear over my favorite Frenchwoman rolling out.

Posted by: yankiboy | July 29, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I don't know yanki, Heather Mitts in the rain might not be awful. And there's this . . .

Ode to Sonia
(with apologies to Dr. Suess)

And I will watch her when its raining.
And in the sun. And when she's training.
And from my seat. Or from a tree.
She is so good, so good, you see!

Posted by: OWNTF | July 29, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

In all honesty yankiboy, my top tv priority this evening will be trying to watch the Freedom match on Comcast.
I'd be excited to see the Islanders make another run in CCL.
Keep us posted.
Vamos DCU Castoffs!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

And I will watch her when its raining.
And in the sun. And when she's training.
And from my seat. Or on TV.
She is so good, so good, you see!

(less stalkerish perhaps)

Posted by: OWNTF | July 29, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Would you people please stop burdening this blog with music lyrics?

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 29, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Any chance DC would be interested in Terry Cooke? 34 assists in just over 100 matches. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/07/29/mls-moves/index.html

Posted by: lrg1231 | July 29, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

OK, make that book verses.

Gonna be watching Freedom no the tube tonight. Haymarket to Boyds in the rain during rush hour ain't happening.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 29, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Joedoc, Burdon this blog with lyrics?

But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord! Please don't let me be misunderstood ...

Posted by: OWNTF | July 29, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Terry Cooke...now there's a guy who knows how to get in a cross. I was surprised that Colorado hasn't been playing him and assumed he must be hurt or something.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 29, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 29, 2009 12:02 PM
-------------------------------------------

But you're well positioned to do the White's Ferry thing. Is there such a thing as rush hour at White's Ferry?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 29, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

does it make me a Eurosnob if i prefer Nigella Lawson?

i would be her beast of burden.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 29, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

You have a point, cow_pasture (a great Haymarket, name, BTW...)

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 29, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

sitruc, what is wrong with 8?

Posted by: Ron16 | July 29, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | July 29, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

@dimesmakedollars: I gotta thing for Nigella, too. The only time my non-cooking behind ever watched that channel was to see her sultry self talk about the decandent indulgences of cooking. I never learned to cook Jack but I thank my wife for turning me on (excuse the pun) to the show...

Posted by: yankiboy | July 29, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I had forgotten I had commented here.

It just seems unusually late. I'm used to 7 and 7:30 at the latest although there are exceptions when television is involved.

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF: I was going to say that first version was a little (allegedly, before being cleared) Freddy Montero-ish, but thought I that might be a little outta line on his big day. Oops.. I did it again.
Just can't help myself.

@Reignking: I just realized you meant "Those" Champion's League Qualifiers... So actually thanks for the heads up!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Goff: You are apparently not en route to Sandy, UT. (Why am I not surprised?) Will you and/or Tenorio be at the 'Plex?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 29, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

If I leave work early to beat the rush hour traffic, what would be good ways to kill time in the Germantown area?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 29, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

=================

Take an Ambien now and wake up at 8

Posted by: OWNTF | July 29, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

What makes you think Goff isn't headed to the all star game?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Have you ever known Goff to fly somewhere and not offer any observations on his destination (e.g., restaurants at which he ate)?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 30, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse