Wednesday Morning Kickaround

A few links and notes to share this morning...

- D.C. United's U-17 team won last night in the MLS SUM U-17 Cup downing Kansas City, 1-0, on a goal by Luiz Cartagena (Gar-Field HS) and advances to the final today against Dallas.

- CONCACAF Gold Cup doubleheader tonight at RFK Stadium, Haiti-Grenada at 7 PM, US-Honduras at 9 PM. I'll be there for both. The Gold Cup preview is here.

- The New York Times takes a look at Women's Professional Soccer.

And finally, highlights from Costa Rica's 1-0 win over Jamaica last night...

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 8, 2009; 10:46 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , D.C. United , Gold Cup , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: Matchday: Honduras-USA (UPDATED)

Comments

Hey Paul, Any idea what the attendance will be like tonight for the Gold Cup game?

(not that it matters, I am already going, just curious!)

Posted by: kris77 | July 8, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Indeed, the largest group tuning into the league’s games on the Fox Soccer Channel are men who also watch men’s games....

Posted by: OWNTF | July 8, 2009 9:49 AM

Well that explains the commercials for hair replacement, body building, and, um, enhancement products.

Whatever happened to Bob? I miss the way Bob's toaster used to pop up on cue and how Bob's office clock always stood at noon. And Mrs. Bob... one happy woman.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 8, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

=================================

Smilin Bob and Enzyte are still around -- my personal favorite is Smilin Bob as Santa Claus with a long line of women eager to sit on his lap and discuss their wishes. The guy behind it all, however, is in the slammer for 25 years. Along with his 75-year old mother (no joke). Well, probably not in the same cell.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 8, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Uhh, is the Gold Cup on TV tonight?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 8, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Is Cartegena from Prince William? If so, that's Gar-Field HS, not Garfield. Don't ask me why, but it is.

Posted by: EdTheRed | July 8, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I'd also love to know what kind of crowd we're getting tonight. One would think a relatively large one (many Hondo's), but who knows?

Posted by: Hoost | July 8, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Well, probably not in the same cell.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 8, 2009 11:20 AM

EEEEEWWWWWW!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 8, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

*been a long time since Hondo was at RFK

*@dad the US game is on FSC tonight. in conflict with Versus tour coverage. Watching Astana in TTT reminded me of Le Bleu Train, no?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 8, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"Indeed, the league sells itself as an affordable live sports option. Single-game tickets to the Breakers start at $13."

I guess the overhead at Harvard is lower than at the Soccerplex.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I was there in '01 for the worldcup qualifier, and I can't wait for tonite's match.

If you're going keep an eye on the time:

Posted by: invncbl | July 8, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Dang it, I've got Voeckler on the bench!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 8, 2009 11:11 AM

Yeah, me too. Figured he'd be good for the post mtn., everybody is wasted stages. Worse for me, is that I had him starting yesterday.

Posted by: delantero | July 8, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I guess the overhead at Harvard is lower than at the Soccerplex.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

===========================

Don't know about their cost structure, but culturally they've over-eggheaded their hasty pudding . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | July 8, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Hey Paul - any projections on the US line-up for tonight?

Posted by: soccerman | July 8, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: EdTheRed

Combination of two different person's names, IIRC.

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm in the lead!

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I'll be ready to sing 90 plus, because i know it will get loud with many hondurans at the game, but as long as we can be just as loud our boys will appreciate it. although many will not be there from the Conf cup, I am sure we will all honor what the team did against the big boys.

Vamos Estados Unidos Esta noche tenemos que Ganarrrrr

Posted by: Norteno4life | July 8, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

For those of you as curious as I am.... I emailed Paul about the attendance for tonight, he wrote back saying organizers are expecting between 20-25,000 tonight.

Posted by: kris77 | July 8, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

As far as TV goes, all US games are on Fox Soccer Channel. The other games are all televised on three different Spanish language channels (Galavision, Telefutura, and Univision). Grenada v Haiti this evening is on Galavision. The US v Honduras game is on FSC and Telefutura.

Posted by: blackandred777 | July 8, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm in the lead!

Posted by: Reignking

So is Cancellara :) Long way to Paris

Posted by: delantero | July 8, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EdTheRed

Combination of two different person's names, IIRC.

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 11:55 AM

Hmmmm...

I wonder if the people the school was named after were President Garfield and Garfield the Cat.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 8, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I love that the New York Times article advertises DC United's friendly against that Spanish team. I thought the Red Bulls were in the New York Times market... I guess not.

Posted by: TCompton | July 8, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I thought Cartegena was from Howard Co., specifically Columbia.

Sorry.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"Teams are drawing between 4,000 and 5,000 fans a game, and another 41,000 are watching on television, about as many fans as watch Major League Soccer games."

That can't be right. Crowds at MLS games are into five figures, and TV audiences for national telecasts are into six figures, aren't they?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 8, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Pure luck, though, considering that almost every rider came in at the same time.

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I guess the overhead at Harvard is lower than at the Soccerplex.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 11:39 AM
------------------------------------------

Actually, the more salient factor may be that Harvard Stadium is much larger. The Freedom regularly comes close to filling the 'Plex with ticket prices starting at $20. That is yet another reason that a new SSS in this area would be a great blessing: the Freedom would have every incentive to price at least some sections in a new and larger venue at under $20.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 8, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

If the reference is to local television audiences, then the article is fairly accurate. The national audience is much much larger than that. The attendance comparisons are a joke unless the standard is FC Dallas.

Posted by: blackandred777 | July 8, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I am sad I cant go to tonight's game. Made my expenditure on last nights DC game. Yet, I have a feeling its going to be a great atmosphere. I live right around the Springfield-Franconia metro stop and some of my neighbors are Honduras fans. The family is already starting to set up the party and I have seen quite a few people around the area with their Honduras jerseys on.

I got my American flag out my window and they know my loyalties.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 8, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

For those that don't konw, Tino has a 1 on 1 interview in today's Studio 90 on the US Soccer website.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Have any of the guys off the Confederation Cup except Gooch gotten any offers? I have never been a fan of Donovan. I am now. He had energy and wanted to win. It was good to see.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | July 8, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

A word to the wise, I heard on the radio that Metro will be shutting down at midnight. Basically no service beyond that point. So if you think the game will go past 12 then take your car. Cause you will be SOL.
So good luck people!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 8, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

USA! USA! USA!
@OWNTF: Astana has looked very "boys in bleu" for sure, but I give a lot of credit to Garmin Slipstream for doing as well as they did with 5 men. Can't knock Columbia either. Hincapie is an inspiration. David Millar has also come back and in my eyes done some amazing things to redeem himself. So unlike all these American athletes who've done nothing to repair their image, or even bother to really atone for the damage they've done with their doping. Gotta love Le Tour!
@blackandred777:Thanks for the update on the Telefutura coverage. Hopefully that rings true and I don't lose it for two days again...I'm sure there will be a feed somewhere either way.
@Reignking: your days are numbered...;-)

Hey Paul!!! Can you post some info for the less informed on this evenings match ups? Any news on Tino in the starting XI? I really hope Bob reaches inside himself and realizes how much cooler starting Tino would be than any other player in the squad @ RFK tonight. If I could guarantee he'd be out there, I just might tell my wife to fend for herself and get my @$$ down there...

@Grubbs: my neighborhood is very similar here in Arlington. Hella Hondurans round here, they will surely be phyched on my US jersey when we cruise up to the CVS to grab my meds, and some extra beers;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 8, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tip JfATLish!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 8, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Maybe a hint of our boy Tino knowing something we don't, in his interview he says "when I get out there on that field"... "when", not "if"

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Also, Robbie Rogers on RFK:

"I know they have great fan support here. Every time I play here I have tons of people yelling at me, cursing at me, so it'll be nice to be on the other side of that."

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Obviously Rogers has never played against a CONCACAF opponent at RFK or in any major US city.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

The next part of that quote was "Hopefully. I know there will be some Honduran fans, but hopefully not too much."

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping that we can at least match the number of "Catrachos" (Hondurans)tonight at the stadium. If past experience is any indicator, we will be outnumbered. Lets hope that we are near parity. We shall see! GO USA

Posted by: sbg1 | July 8, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

LA signed Birchall. I guess it is too much to ask for DCU to train to find a left back or forward. Hopefully the trialists Soehn said he was brining in will be decent enought to warrant playing time this season.

Posted by: no_recess | July 8, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: no_recess

Salty!

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey, another tip, the BS Report has Colin Cowherd today, and they spend the last 6 minutes talking how much they're both falling for international soccer.

Hey, RK, cause you seem to be the one to know these things, what's the ticket sales count looking like for the Milan-America game?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 8, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

dadryan re: meds??

VA has medical maryjane???

wow!!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 8, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

or is cvs "code" for your dealers home??

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 8, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Salty!

Posted by: Reignking

Not really. I just hope if we get trialist they stick around because I think this team could get to the playoffs and maybe an MLS Cup if all goes well.

Posted by: no_recess | July 8, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I fell bad about missing tonight's match, but work comes first. Who will stand up for me and sing the national anthem loudly and proudly?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Apologies if this was already common knowledge. From the Guardian:

"US sports broadcaster ESPN has today confirmed that it is to launch a new British channel in early August to show the 46 live Premier League matches it won last month following the collapse of Setanta.

The new channel, which will simply be called ESPN, will launch on 3 August ahead of the start of the new Premier League season on 15 August.

For residential customers, ESPN will be available on a premium subscription basis, for £9 a month to Sky Sports subscribers and for £12 a month to other Sky customers.

Disney-owned ESPN's new UK channel will replace ESPN America on the Sky satellite and Virgin Media cable TV electronic programme guides.

The new channel will appear on the Sky electronic programme guide at number 417 with a high definition service at number 443. This will be ESPN's first European HD channel."

Posted by: Section117 | July 8, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Jamaica really outplayed Costa Rica -- except for the putting the ball in the net thing.

Posted by: fischy | July 8, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

...when we cruise up to the CVS to grab my meds, and some extra beers;-)
------------------------------------------

Aren't meds and extra beers one and the same?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 8, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Chris Birchall signs with LA Galaxy, reuniting him with fellow Englishman but World Cup opponent David Beckham. He was a Championship caliber player at the time of WC06, but his stock seemed to drop and he ended up in League 1 after some time on loan. I don't know what to make of this. Is he under-rated? Is he the best the LA could do?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish

I'll ask the AJC Soccer Insider ;) That would be nice to know -- I still need to buy tickets! I've been procrastinating because I'm waiting to see if I can drag anyone else with me.

no_recess: Salty! was a pun on your "brining"

Posted by: Reignking | July 8, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Sorry no_recess. Didn't notice your earlier message on Birchall.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

@ I-270Exit1:

No worries. I was just trying to make Goff proud to be the first to post Birchall's signing. You know since it is such a big deal.

Posted by: no_recess | July 8, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 4:19 PM |
****************************************

What I remember most about Chris Birchall is that he is usually the best white player on the field for Trinidad & Tobago.

The next thing I remember most about Chris Birchall is that he is usually the worst white player on the field for Trinidad & Tobago.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 8, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 8, 2009 1:09 PM
_____________________________________________

It's refering to National television, not attendance. Sad as it is to say, MLS is barely getting more viewers than WPS on FSC. The numbers I saw were 43k and 41k on average.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | July 8, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, we both linked to reports on other sites, and 365 just re-posted the LAG press release. That doesn't count as a scoop.

It's worth discussing anyway. I'm sure Chest or an LA fan (shanoni, CACuzcatlan?) will weigh on the Galaxy's midfield situation.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 8, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

@ Reignking

Ha ha ha. A play on words I get it.

Posted by: no_recess | July 8, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey Hey Hey -- Another title for the DC United trophy case!!

The DC United Academy U-17 beat the FC Dallas team to win the SUM U-17 title.

The win earns the DCU junior squad a trip trip to Spain to participate in the 2010 Trofeo Quixote, the world U-17 youth soccer championships.

Now, it's on to Carson, CA for the U.S. Soccer Development Academy (July 10-17)....

Posted by: fischy | July 8, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Haven't been to Estadio RFK in a while...any recommendations on places to grab dinner? I'm open to any kind of food.

Posted by: daandre3 | July 8, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Look for the carts that sell Carne Asada and Pupusas. Buy one of each and you've got a full dinner: Entree, rice and beans, cole slaw, and the tasty pupusas that come with the cole slaw. Plus, you can take home the tortilla from the carne asada, and have a great accompaniment for your morning eggs.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a meal before you get there -- stop at Spike's Good Stuff Eatery -- 303 Penn Ave SE (2 blocks from Cap South Metro.)

Posted by: fischy | July 8, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I found a hot club -- MixedMingle dot com -- for black Women and white Men, or black Men and white Women, to interact with each other. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish! Join for free to begin your serious dating.

Posted by: sallyworking2006 | July 11, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse