Weekend TV Listings

What are you going to watch?
FRIDAY
Gold Cup, Panama-Guadeloupe 5 p.m. Galavision
WPS, Washington-Los Angeles 6 p.m. FSC
Gold Cup, Nicaragua-Mexico 7 p.m. Univision
Argentina, Velez Sarsfield-Huracan 8 p.m. (tape) FSC

By Steve Goff  |  July 2, 2009; 10:46 PM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bradley Speaks
Next: Video: Copa Libertadores

Comments

I'll be glued to my TV all Saturday night :). Maybe I'll tune in for Canada-Jamaica as well on Friday.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 2, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoUnited | July 2, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Way to ruin my weekend, Steve!

Vamos Selecta!

Posted by: jgadala | July 2, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

CAN'T WAIT TO WATCH NON-HI-DEF US SOCCER AFTER THE CONFEDERATIONS CUP!!!!

Go FSC. I will be guessing who has the ball as much as Max "dress slacks" Bretos and Christopher "Shmistopher" Sullivan.

All we are missing is "Eeerpen!"

Posted by: adamsunited | July 2, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Last game Brasil, next game Grenada . . . wow.

Suprisingly good Grenada soccer coverage from USA Today ....

Posted by: delantero | July 2, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

DC and USA, and whatever else is on while I'm bored.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Something to check out over the next month: MLS Attendance. Wiil we see a bump from the Confed Cup "success"? Will the Colbert Bump play in our favor? Can we please get both to happen?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

If the Brazilian and Argentine leagues keep playing when the rest of the world is on summer break, the failure to synch up schedules will continue to impede the progress of those leagues and the development of professional-level players.

They really need to get with the program. I'm surprised Sepp Blather hasn't called them out on this....

Posted by: fischy | July 3, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Suprisingly good Grenada soccer coverage from USA Today ....

Posted by: delantero | July 2, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

I think the Brazilian press could have published a similar article about the US team before our game with them.

"Some US team players play for MLS and have to take commercial flights instead of private jets, when their matches are nationally televised they are often delayed by other sporting events such as women's college softball and women’s billiards and teams just outside of large cities like New York, Denver and Dallas often draw less fans than local high school football teams. Compared to the 7 and 8 digit salaries of the starting eleven for Brazil the American players not playing in MLS are often lucky to get a few minutes of playing time with second division teams in Europe, sometimes playing with contracts of under $100,000!”

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 3, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Wildly off-topic:

Seattle today signed Costa Rican left back Leonardo Gonzalez (a guy who has often started ahead of Gonzalo Segares). Seattle now has Gonzalez, Tyson Wahl, Nathan Sturgis, and Zach Scott all competing for their left back role (though Sturgis has played other positions for them).

A little while ago, I was saying DC should move for Wahl, who is capable of playing both center back and left back. He's not a world-beater, but he's solid and makes barely more than the senior minimum. From what I've seen, he'd be more reliable than Burch or John. We could do a lot worse with the space we made by cutting Crayton and Peters loose.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 3, 2009 2:25 AM | Report abuse

D.C. United should move the game to 6:30 PM so those who go to the game can still catch the fireworks on the mall. Don't the fireworks start at 9 PM? They are putting us in a tough decision making spot.

Posted by: redskinsux | July 3, 2009 3:21 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if it's possible for "Wrestling, US National Championships" to run long. It's on ESPN2 from 5:30-7 tomorrow. Hmm...

Posted by: DCUMD | July 3, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

That's the first time I actually paid attention to any of the match times. Damn the times suck tomorrow.

Posted by: sitruc | July 3, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

DCU, USA, and the TDF.
Go Lance!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 3, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Glad I'm having people over my house, and that I can watch fireworks from the back porch. TDF then DCU then US.

Posted by: Reignking | July 3, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Interesting -- Benfica squad numbers for 28 players came out today. No Adu.

Posted by: Reignking | July 3, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Times do suck on Sat. Don't get Telefutura or Galavision.

@Dadryan TDF totally rocks. Me watch TDF everyday for the next month...visit devorce lawyer after that.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | July 3, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Sweet. I had no idea the TDF went to Barcelona this year.

I just watch for the scenery. Love using Google Earth, too. A few years ago they had real-time tracking.

There's a fantasy TDF at versus.com. We should start a group (I don't have my login info here).

Posted by: Reignking | July 3, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

There's also World Cup rugby on ESPN.

Posted by: addick | July 3, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinsux | July 3, 2009 3:21 AM |
-------------------------------------------------

If you show up at RFK Saturday night, you're going to very disappointed...and very lonely.

Posted by: fischy | July 3, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

At least he'll avoid traffic going to the Mall.

Posted by: Reignking | July 3, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Nothing like watching soccer all 4th of July, along with the Tour de France. Very American;)

Posted by: Reignking | July 3, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Ha, Ha,. I tried Le Tour fantasy last year and it was a disaster. It's been hard enough lining up these MLS teams for this weekend! Seems like half the league is on the Gold Cup roster...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 3, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

That's right. I kicked your butt ;) Total luck, of course.

Yeah, no full roster for me in fmls.

Posted by: Reignking | July 3, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"Le Tour fantasy last year and it was a disaster. . . ."

That's because you aren't privvy to who has the best EPO. .

Posted by: delantero | July 3, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget the hot dog eating competition!

Posted by: Reignking | July 3, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I almost went to that Rugby match with the 79% reason it would have been an excuse to go to Charleston, and I bet they do the fireworks up big time at the Battery

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 3, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Suprisingly good Grenada soccer coverage from USA Today ....

Posted by: delantero | July 2, 2009 11:41 PM
__________________________________________

That was 2004. What is USA Today doing this weekend?

Posted by: universityandpark | July 3, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

What are you going to watch?

By Steve Goff | July 2, 2009; 10:46 PM ET

Cookout Par-tay from 5-7.
DCU v Cowlumbus 7-9
Vienna Fireworks 9:15-9:45?
US v Grenada 10-11:45

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 3, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

"That was 2004. What is USA Today doing this weekend?"

Nice catch. I hadn't seen that date! I'm doubting anyone but Seattle and soccer fans know anything about the game tomorrow. ESPN didn't say much during the CONFED Cup as they aren't broadcasting it .. . .

Posted by: delantero | July 3, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse