WPS Matchnight: Breakers at Freedom

Greetings all from Maryland SoccerPlex, where the Washington Freedom will look to extend its win streak to three (and unbeaten to four) against the Boston Breakers and in doing so better position themselves for one of the three remaining WPS postseason spots.

On the well-manicured field here in Boyds, the number 100 has been mowed into the grass across the midfield stripe facing the far bleachers, an ode to the accomplishment of forward Abby Wambach, who recently scored her 100th goal for the U.S. women's national team.

Wambach was named WPS player of the week, by the way, for her two-goal effort on Sunday at Chicago in the Freedom's 3-2 win.

Boston has had the better of the series so far this year, they are 2-0-1 against Washington, and have not allowed a goal for 323 consecutive minutes (five shutouts in past seven games).

We'll see what happens tonight.

Boston Breakers at Washington Freedom
When: 8 p.m.
Where: Maryland SoccerPlex, Boyds
TV: Comcast SportsNet
Freedom Starters: McLeod; Gilbeau, Whitehill, Singer, Sauerbrunn; Lindsey, Bompastor, Sawa, Moros; De Vanna, Wambach
Subs: Lohman, Eyorokon, Long, Senty, Krieger, DeDycker, Wright

Shameless plugs: Check out my blog as I try to transform from former summer swimmer turned sports reporter into a competitive swimmer. This whole getting back in shape thing should also help me when I step back onto a field this fall with my men's league soccer team.

Also, feel free to follow me on twitter.

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 29, 2009; 6:09 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mexico's Roster for USA Match
Next: All-Star Fever

Comments

First George Plimpton, then Stefan Fatsis. Now Paul Tenorio.

Buena suerte amigo. Whatever your 100% looks like, give it.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Empty seats in Toronto this evening - not sure if I've seen that before

Posted by: Kev29 | July 29, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

My bad knees told me I'm staying in for the night and watching everything at home.

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

ugh
ugly red card to the English national team player

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Jill Sorenson played at Brown. Finally, a sideline reporter with experience.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Toronto should be better than they are.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Agreedm 1-279Exit1 and JacobfromAtlanta-ish.

Nice nutmeg of Mitts by Bomp.

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Krieger for Singer in the 40th. Is Singer injured? It seems a bit early for an offensive sub with a man advantage.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

OOOOOOH! You called it a "man" advantage!

;)

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Glad Sonia didn't get her leg broken. Ouch.
Does it get any hotter than Bompastor meggin' Mitts? Naughty Naughty Mitts draggin her to the ground...;-)
I thought Toronto fans were saying they were going to have the largest crowd in their History tonight with extra seating put in?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

anyone got a TFC/PR link?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Here's a link, DadRyan.

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I didn't realize I posted the link the first time.

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Covering your bases bro, thanks.:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

So I'm flipping through the channels in my humble abode here in Birmingham, AL, and low and behold I see the Freedom-Breakers game is being shown live on CSS....say what? Pretty random to say the least, where are all the DC United games. :\

Posted by: PEddy | July 29, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Yeaaaah Islanders!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Islanders...

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Moving Bompastor to left back is not paying off.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Yeaaaah Freedom!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

broadcast nearly missed the goal... good stuff CSN!

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Finally! Abby gets one.

Note that Abby slid to win the ball for DeVAnna who returned it.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

PEddy, I gotta say DCU should work with Comcast more and broadcast their Open Cup matches next year to say the least!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Can't blame CSN for interviewing a World Cup winner and collegiate coach.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if David Beckham is sitting at home pissed off at all these americans telling him what he needs to do... Ha, Ha. Get some too Julie...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Also hate to see what Sounders fans would throw at Gaudette, if they witnessed his antics... Wow.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Freedom win
TFC lose
All is right in the world.

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

The Freedom game will be rebroadcast at noon Thursday on CSN in this area:

Posted by: universityandpark | July 30, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

The Freedom are not very good. They are slow, their passing is terrible. They go up a "man" via a red card, but the game was actually pretty even.

Posted by: Ron16 | July 30, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

I'd say that's a bit harsh, Ron. I thought the game wasn't in doubt once Freedom went up a goal. Of course, that injury-time shot that McLeod of Clan McLeod saved beautifully made things exciting at the end.

Good to see Ali Krieger make an impact, though I think Singer is a nice player.

Boston kept 9 back in the second half, and left Smith up top to counter. It's hard breaking through a team -- especially a DiCicco team -- that is happy to leave with a 0-0 draw.

An important win for (the?) Freedom. Now they need to go out west and take care of business so last night wasn't for nothing.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 30, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

I didn't see the red card, was it legit? DiCicco is whining again in the press about the officiating, like he's been doing all season. The league should really sit on that. Like I say, I didn't see the play, but with all the busted legs at SoccerPlex this year, I'd say throwing reds at double-studs-up challenges is a good thing for the league.

Heather Mitts and Cat Whitehill both got embarassed 1v1 last night; Pia can't be happy about that. On the other hand, LePelbet looked awesome; Pia should be happy about that.

Ally Long has sick touch.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

=========

That was a really poor performance by the Freedom, particularly in the first half. It made me think of the first season in the old WUSA, when they couldn't string three passes together. The red card seems to have saved them from an ugly loss.

Posted by: kevinwparker | July 30, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Game highlights are up, with several views of the foul:

Posted by: kevinwparker | July 30, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse