Adu Loaned to Belenenses

A contact close to Freddy Adu tells the Insider that, about 45 minutes ago, a loan deal was reached for him to play at Portuguese club Belenenses this season. Today is the final day of the summer transfer window.

Adu was on the verge of joining Danish club Odense on loan this summer, but financial issues abruptly ended those talks. Benfica, the club that acquired the 20-year-old midfielder-forward from MLS two years ago, then agreed last week to pay a portion of his salary to facilitate a move.

"The coach really wants him; he made it happen," a source said. "He's going to play him."

With time running out to make an impression on the USA national team coaching staff before the World Cup, Adu was in desperate search of a club that would put him on the field.

Adu's pro career:
D.C. United (MLS) 2004-06
Real (MLS) Salt Lake 2007
Benfica (Portugal) 2007-08
Monaco (France) 2008-09
Belenenses (Portugal) 2009-10

Belenenses, located in Lisbon, has not won a trophy since the domestic cup 20 years ago. Its record is 1-1-1 this season after a 3-1 loss at Braga yesterday. Among the rostered players is an 18-year-old defensive midfielder named ... Pele.

[UPDATE] From Adu's Twitter account: "ok for those who dont know i just completed a 1 year loan move to Belenenses. And im excited to join the team tomorrow for training"

By Steve Goff  |  August 31, 2009; 1:45 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On a Mexican Video
Next: Early Tuesday Kickaround

Comments

Benbfica have come to their Belenenses.

OK, that was a stretch.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 31, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't really matter where he goes at this point, as long as he plays.
Hope this one works out...

Posted by: icehippo | August 31, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the coach doesn't get fired next week. I really hope he gets some extended playing time and good training

Posted by: Solnoir | August 31, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I thought there are only 2 teams in Portugal: Benfica and Porto. Who knew? If he gets playing time, any playing time, I'll be happy.

I asked before but has Adu been humbled enough or grown up enough to rejoin DC United.

How long is he contracted to Benfica?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 31, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

He'll be with Red Bull next season, mark my words.

Posted by: Hoost | August 31, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I had it two hours ago!

999: don't forget Sporting!

Posted by: Reignking | August 31, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

ADU will be crawling back to United, right through the doggy door with dust all over him begging for a return.

LOL!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 31, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Adu and Pele together again...

And how many of you would give up $800,000 or $900,000/yr to go back to MLS if you were Freddy?

Posted by: teo_68 | August 31, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I'd take him back in a heartbeat, assuming he has in fact been humbled by this experience.

Not at $500,000 p/a though.

Posted by: spidergoose | August 31, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

teo, depends on how badly I wanted to play in the World Cup.

Posted by: spidergoose | August 31, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

c'mon - we all know that freddy is going to philly to hook up with his fav manager.

Posted by: nairbsod | August 31, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Freddy is becoming the Joe Smith of soccer.

From his Twitter site: "1st interview today - I'm on Portugal radio!"

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 31, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Dips, not to wish the kid failure or anything abd though, huh?

Good news for Freddy. Now he has to do the business. He has to play. I never cared for where it was as long as he played, and played meaningful minutes.

As far as coming back to MLS, why should he do that? Kid's just 20. Breaking into a team in any of Europe's top leagues is hard, and evidence shows it's doubly hard for any player tagged an American. Kid needs to grow-up some and do the business. He's got time to figure it out. He should stick it out, he's quality enough to get it done.

I remeber when he played a friendly here against the HBG City Islanders - he was nice enough to hold and take a pic with my daughter (who was a few months old at the time) and my sons. My boys still love that meeting.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 31, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Freddy and his Twitter obsession are becoming hilarious......Show some luv ya'll

Too early to call the kid a bust, but you gotta figure this is the stop where he either elevates expectations or gets slapped with the label

Posted by: PineyO | August 31, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

@Hoost, man how I wish that were true (Adu to NY)! That's a team that could use him and it would be a shot in the arm for MLS' biggest and worst-served market.

Ditto briansod, I'd love to see Freddy reunite with the one pro coach who really raised his game.

As a non-DP Adu could make about $400k salary in MLS, which would be about right as of today.

But it's not what Freddy wants so it's not going to happen, and let's hope it doesn't come to that. Good luck Freddy!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 31, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Benbfica have come to their Belenenses.

OK, that was a stretch.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 31, 2009 1:52 PM

In the UK, one might say that Adu has reached the Bell-end-ses

Posted by: Kev29 | August 31, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

OFF TOPIC, but DCU related items:

"8. Get ready to say hello to …

Andriy Shevchenko. The Ukraine striker is set to leave Chelsea and return to his homeland with Dynamo Kiev. He is prepared to sign a two-year contract but is likely to move to MLS with D.C. United after that.

9. Get ready to say goodbye to …

Bryan Namoff. The D.C. United defender is attracting attention in Europe, with two Greek clubs rumored to be interested."

Posted by: nairbsod | August 31, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

999: don't forget Sporting!

Posted by: Reignking | August 31, 2009 2:12 PM

Or Boavista! With their unmistakable shirts and fantastic stadium

Shame they're hopelessly broke :-(

Posted by: Kev29 | August 31, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

No, no, no...

Nowak to Benfica (after 2009/2010)! Everyone wins (except Philadelphia).

Posted by: B_A_ | August 31, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Bodhisattva
Would you take me by the hand
Boavista
Would you take me by the hand
Can you show me
The shine of your Japan
The sparkle of your china
Can you show me
Boavista
Boavista

Posted by: OWNTF | August 31, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Sweet! The guitar riffs will stick in my head and replace whatever crap lyrics Joe Doc posted earlier.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 31, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Here's my impression of Pele at the 2007 U20 tourney:
---------------------------------------------
Defensive midfielder, Pele (not the same one!), while not flashy, really impressed me. He reads the game very well and with his strength is able to hold off attackers/defenders with his body. He makes the simple, but effective passes. He’s someone that is going to be very good.

---------------------------------------------
Pele made my honorable mention All-tournament team (along with Freddy)

SG - hope you don't mind the link.

Posted by: J_S_F | August 31, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Kosh2: how dare you come on here to make sensible points in a measured tone? this is the internet! You'll have to make up for this by trashing someone else... ;-)

This is great news though. It is still in Lisbon so the Benfica coaches can see him constantly, he'll get playing time, and it is still the Portuguese league, which suits his game perfectly. During his first year in Portugal, Adu had a great game against Belenenses.

Braga had a great season last year, by the way, and are usually dangerous. But yeah, Porto has just owned the league the last few years. Estrela Amadora, on the other hand, is literally broke and was six months in arrears on staff salaries. Kind of makes RBNY look good by comparison....

Posted by: troy6 | August 31, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

The MLS internets say Ihemelu to Dallas. WARNING: All ye young DC United midfielders be ware ye shin bones in the next outing.

Jack Hack is back!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 31, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Any Porto in a storm, I suppose.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 31, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Freddy Adu: "Just in case ya hadn't heard..."

Yanki-Yank: I already did. I got three letters for ya, one of them repeated.

G-O-F-F

"About 45 minutes ago..."

Just plain sick.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 31, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I'll beleive the 'going to play' part when it happens.

Posted by: euroman | August 31, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Except that he is in Lisbon.

Posted by: Reignking | August 31, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 31, 2009 3:24 PM
=====================

I resemble that remark!

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 31, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 31, 2009 3:24 PM
=====================

I resemble that remark!

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 31, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm on-a Portuguese radiooooo...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 31, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

yanki: cmon! I had it at noon! No respect!

Posted by: Reignking | August 31, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking: Sorry Bto. I you outscooped the scoop artist then my bad--like a lot of things in life, I missed it. lol

Posted by: yankiboy | August 31, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Californians may need that Mexican radioooo...

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 31, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Freddy has a ton of talent but zero confidence right now lets all hope he gets some playing time so he can get some confidence back and hopefully develop in to a legit international player in 4 or 5 years.

If Freddy ever comes back to the MLS consider his career dead, see Bobby Convey.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | August 31, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Forgot that Barca was playing...

Posted by: Reignking | August 31, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Messi not in the 18.

Therefore, Messi = Adu.

Posted by: Reignking | August 31, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

haha good logic Reignking, I follow it too.

What happens if Freddy Adu sore 13 goals this season. Will everyone immediately rejoin to Adu bandwagon, and demand he starts every game in next summers world cup? (Though none of us will really see him play much cause as of right now I don't know a channel in America that offers the Portuguese league regularly.)

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 31, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

grubbsbl: people will complain that half of them came from PKs.

Posted by: Reignking | August 31, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

In Football Manager 2008, I always sign that Pele on a season-long loan, and usually he wants to transfer to your team permanently by the end of the year.

Just an FYI for anyone who plays, he's pretty damn good in the game.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 31, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Just saw Steely Dan a couple weeks ago in NYC at the Beacon Theater. They performed Aja in its entirety, then a bunch of other stuff. GREAT show, great time. Hoping they come down here sometime this year also so I can wear my new "Steely Dan T-shirt."
Oh yeah....... Adu, blah, blah, blah,
DCU words,words,words,

Posted by: marksman37 | August 31, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

==================

Man there's a new Sierra Mist commercial in there somewhere . . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | August 31, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know when tickets for the US qualifier v. Costa Rica go on sale?

Posted by: walkie | August 31, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Didn't realize Steely Dan was touring, thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately SD will not swing this way.

BUT . . . you can catch Englebert Humperdinck at Strathmore soon. No lie.

You may think this is WAY off topic, but did you not hear Adu's plea?

Please release me can't you see
you'd be a fool to cling to me
to live a lie would bring us pain
release me and let me play again

Posted by: OWNTF | August 31, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

@Kosh2

Not wishing him failure, just remembering.. "The Simpsons episode in which Homer leaves to Plant to work at the bowling site and then had to come back because of Maggie"

I mean good luck to Adu but still wasnt he our hyped prodigy from MLS? He started playing at 14..

six years later..

still cant secure a loan move anywhere...

anyone else see my pessimistic picture

=)

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 31, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

on another note..

red bulls won @ columbus? I hope MLS's playoff system will keep them from not qualifying and making it to the Western Conference final. Then taking that final to become the Western Conf. champion and play in the MLS Cup for another year.

I hate the play-off system, i really do..

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 31, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I thought Freddy Adu's career was over about a week ago. So yes, I view this as a positive.

I think everyone should want him to succeed, because we don't want anybody to be the kid that was sacrificed to the "savior of soccer" doom fest.

I don't think he's good enough to make the world cup squad, but if he could get his confidence up, his skills are exactly what we lack.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 31, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Washdips: actually that game was @ the meadowlands. And nyrb has long since been mathematically eliminated, now they're just playing spoiler.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 31, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of news regarding young USA phenoms, here's some news I missed last week: The pair christened the second and third coming of Freddy Adu have new clubs -- or, should I say, a new club? Renken and Gyau have both signed with Hoffenheim. They'll spend the next year splitting their training between Vancouver (what's so great about the Whitecaps training academy?) and Hoffenheim.

Congrats to these young men. I hope this doesn't preclude their inclusion with the U17 side in the upcoming Cup finals.

Congrats to Freddy -- would be amazing news if he has landed with a 1st division side that wants to give him playing time.

Posted by: fischy | August 31, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

So, the math seems to be working out, and that I'll be joining you (at least some of you) in RFK on October 22nd for the Costa Rica game. *Fingers Crossed*

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 31, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

This is great news if he gets to play...Freddy Adu has been getting the short end of the stick ever since he was here in DC. The USMNT needs him in South Africa.

Posted by: alan19 | August 31, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, Belenenses actually want him and he won't be another casualty in club politics.

Posted by: addick | August 31, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Journeyman player before he turns 20. I think he comes back to MLS with his head between his tail after this stint is over.

Posted by: bbride1 | August 31, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Journeyman English student who invents personal mixed metaphors before this thread can even finish. I predict a return to the minors (Big Soccer) before the season is over.....

Look out for that whipping rear end when you try to walk with your head between your tail.

Posted by: fischy | August 31, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Ok maybe I was a little harsh on him. Just didn't like how he handled some things (one that resulted in a suspension for a playoff game) when he played for DC. I hope he finally finds a home and does well.

Posted by: bbride1 | September 1, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Best of luck to Freddy.

I'm glad he's staying in Portugal - I think it's good for his game, and plus it doesn't require another adjustment to a new culture/language or playing style.

Posted by: WorldCup | September 1, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 31, 2009 4:58 PM

The Portuguese league is available on Dish Network only.

Posted by: gcbigdog | September 1, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I like the kid. I think he's got talent. His problem was always he's too small. That and he doesn't play any defense. The internationals eat him alive, they're just too big and too strong. Freddy has done best for the nats when playing an attacking mid role (a position that is not in Bob Bradley's formation), or as a withdrawn forward. At this point he's put on some weight, but not enough. And until the coaching staff at the nat level changes he's not going to get a sniff. Bradley values defensive effort above all else apparently.

Posted by: Matte | September 1, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse