Adu, Toronto, Freedom, Baltimore

*The Insider told you last week that USA forward Freddy Adu was attracting interest in the Netherlands, and now Adu is quoted in the Dutch media saying that he's interested in the Netherlands for a possible move from Benfica in Portugal. This comes after Adu's Twitter item a few days ago that read: "Im excited and cant wait to start training. Im not 100% if im staying or not. I want to but u never know."

*Toronto FC target Lesly Fellinga, a Haitian national team defender from the Dutch league who is represented by U.S.-based Long View Management, is tentatively scheduled to receive his work permit Wednesday and begin formal training with the club this week. The 23-year-old left back has already agreed to contract terms with TFC.

*The Washington Freedom is planning to sign Katie Forbis from Charlotte's W-League team to serve as goalkeeper Erin McLeod's back-up. Briana Scurry (knee) would be placed on the season-ending injury list. The third goalie, Kati Jo Spisak, has been slowed by a strained quadriceps. Nicci Wright, the club's goalies coach, has served as the No. 2 keeper in recent weeks.

*A small soccer stadium in Charm City? Read more about it in the Baltimore Business Journal.

By Steve Goff  |  August 3, 2009; 2:58 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom , MLS , Netherlands , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United News & Notes
Next: Poll: United vs. Real Madrid

Comments

Man, anyone understand the dutch article...I know for sure people are ripping him apart in the comment section...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 3, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"The South Baltimore waterfront site is one of several locations in the city being considered for a 5,000- to 7,000-seat stadium. It could cost as least $20 million and be home to Crystal Palace FC USA, an affiliate of England’s storied professional Crystal Palace franchise."

Even my friends who support Palace would chuckle after reading 'storied' in that article.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 3, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Seems a bit excessive considering their average crowds... how about 3k-5k instead with room for expansion?

Posted by: alecw81 | August 3, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure how a 7,000 seat stadium will improve Baltimore's chances of hosting a WC2018/22 match. Big matches at M&T are more indicative of WC host potential because the local organizers will care more about traveling spectators than local ones.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 3, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I-270, your probably right. I could see the practice facility providing a little support, though not much. But hey, if they want to use it as a selling point I am not going to stop them.

I think the 5,000-7,000 would be a good size.

And finally, though the government can't help fund the stadium they would be willing to help with land. Mmmmm... why cant a certain city do the same about 45 minutes south of Baltimore?

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 3, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I guess what Baltimore would have going for it is proximity to other WC venues on the east coast - if FIFA didn't want things spread so spread out. Though I think they'd be a long shot for matches when the time comes. US Soccer will probably go with bigger stadiums in larger cities. I like they're effort though.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 3, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

^ I'm too tired today for proper usage of tense and grammar.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 3, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88
--------------------------------
Well some are some are'nt, many think hes past his prime and dreaming big for a team like Ajax, doing so just to boost his WC stock.

Posted by: Fisty409 | August 3, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Freddy Adu: "I would like to play in the Netherlands"
By Mark van den Heuvel

Freddy Adu (20, photo) was once the greatest talent of America and perhaps in the world. But back at Benfica, which last year lent him to AS Monaco, the American international has little chance of playing this season.

Right?
"There seems to, yes. Coach Jorge Jesus said that I was not in his plans. But I would like to play, I'm still young, let me develop. "

What is your preference to be?
“I would love to play in Holland . I grew up with the Dutch league. For a young foreign player it is an excellent major league start of his international career. "

Do you have a specific club in mind?
"I do not say that I want to Ajax and Feyenoord. In that respect I am not picky. I would find it wonderful if I could get a chance at NAC Breda and FC Groningen. Anywhere. As long as I have the feeling that I can develop games to play. I do not want to stop and remain standing.

You are a further three year contract with Benfica, there is also a cost.
"I expect that Benfica will provide any assistance. If the trainer prefers others."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 3, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Note to Baltimore: World Cup games usually draw more than 5,000-7,000. You may return to being Baltimore now.

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | August 3, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

The comments from the Dutch article, run through Bablefish: Fun and educational!

Abraksas: (3-aug 15:15)
Idd Wu grip, which responses are here rather strange and superfluous seen he has not said to ajax wants and especially ajax also still nothing ofzo have said want obtain him. I think as a matter of fact that he idd, however, what kind of Groningen would be. Perhaps that he can develop there well. Or perhaps simply to VVV ofzo.
Response Wu grip: (3-aug 13:49)
and what george says is true, he seems be jaartje or 26 ipv 20 and for this reason was he in former days much improve then are contemporaries
Response Wu grip: (3-aug 13:47)
haha in the text stand I say no feyenoord if ajax I am with nac breda or groningen already glad and what the first responses are? What must ajax nou with adu and ajax do not have obtain adu. pitiful characters read then improve
Response Wes07: (3-aug 13:42)
Tuurlijk George he is 29…
Response George: (3-aug 13:16)
He developed itself probable not this way well more, because he is in reality much parent…. Only well will be nl-middenmoot for
Response O.J.Simpson: (3-aug 12:04)
I think that he this says concerning each competition, to come this way ordinary to game, so that he is possible to the WK he is and remains moreover still a brio and perhaps a challenge for a coach…
Response Ewaldie: (3-aug 10:51)
Beautiful words concerning the Dutch compititie. Thus is there simply thought also therefore!
Response wrwrw: (3-aug 10:41)
Correction on my observation: Emanuelson at the selection. That was Maduro. Urby have to prove themselves however still. Onomstreden are not.
Response dr. Bill: (3-aug 10:17)
At Ajax is nevertheless also not at all busy with Adu? That is not totally under discussion. , however, an useful player would be for Groningen idd.
Response rene: (3-aug 10:17)
Adu? That is a commercial product. Because he could dribble in his youth this way nicely and hooghouden he has been blown up enormously by the commercie. He has as a footballer still but complete weining show. If he was real this way well he had nevertheless for a long time fixed in a further average elftal such as the USAS. There he really sits on the bank, at the Confed. Cup was not taken into consideration he also already.
Response wrwrw: (3-aug 09:16)
AJAX do not have obtain such a Adu never of course. And concerning Emanuelson: for a player whom in 2006, already at the selection for the WK drunk, ie have badly developed as from that time. He stands quiet.
Response GinoPietermaai: (3-aug 08:50)
What have do Ajax nou with Freddy Adu? According to me they have Emanuelson on that position already which is moreover considered by a lot of ajacieden as Ajax unworthy.

Posted by: icehippo | August 3, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | August 3, 2009 3:53 PM

I'm no Balmire backer, but in their defense they are talking about the small stadium complex as a potential practice facility for WC nations - with the Ravens stadium as the match venue.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 3, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Response O.J.Simpson: (3-aug 12:04)

===============================

Wow OJ must have a lot of time on his hands

Posted by: OWNTF | August 3, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Response O.J.Simpson: (3-aug 12:04)

===============================

Wow OJ must have a lot of time on his hands

Posted by: OWNTF | August 3, 2009 4:19 PM |

===============================

and blood...

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | August 3, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29

Surely there will be practice fields aplenty near Ballamore in 2018/22: Hopkins, UMD, Towson, United Park in Dover.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 3, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehippo

I thought of running the results through the Swedish Chef translator as well but they're already quite garbled.

Posted by: KireDCU | August 3, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 3, 2009 4:36 PM

Hey, I'm just going with what the Balmire people said in the article. It all does seem kind of odd though. They're doing this thinking/planning for an event that they only have an outside shot of getting - and it's probably not going to be here for 13 years.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 3, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Earnie Stewart please pick up the white courtesy phone. . .

Posted by: owendylan | August 3, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | August 3, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Clearly the US needs to cut back on stadiums and other “entertainment” related developments and put some money into education and literacy initiatives.

While I doubt the logic behind their reasoning they did make it pretty clear to literate people that this would be used as a practice facility and not an actually world cup venue.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 3, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________________

On her blog, Forbis herself reported her signing by the Freedom as a done deal as of last Wednesday:

What's more, wasn't she actually on the bench in San Jose last Saturday? Also, with regard to Scurry, is "season-ending" likely to be a euphemism for "career-ending?"

Posted by: universityandpark | August 4, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Scurry is from MN. I wonder if she'll go play for the Lightning, at least for one season.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 4, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

If they build the stadium in south Baltimore, wouldn't CP-USA have to change their name to Crystal Meth?

Posted by: IamAM | August 4, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse