Adu to Denmark

The Insider is getting word from contacts close to Danish and American soccer that Freddy Adu is in final negotiations with Odense on a one-year loan from Portuguese club Benfica. If all goes well, he would be formally introduced this week. Adu, 20, is in the third year of a five-year deal with Benfica and played sparingly while on loan at French club Monaco last season.

Odense finished second in the Danish Superliga last season and is coached by former Denmark national team defender Lars Olsen. The club will face Genoa in a Europa League playoff later this month.

Other Americans in Denmark include Danny Califf, Jeremiah White, Benny Feilhaber, Marcus Tracy and Michael Parkhurst.

OB is not a huge club, by any means, but at this point, Adu just needs to play regularly. Thoughts on this imminent move?

By Steve Goff  |  August 10, 2009; 4:28 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-Mexico Update
Next: Poll: USA-Mexico

Comments

I hope the move works out for him and he gets quality playing time. How frustrating these past couple of years had to have been.

Posted by: nairbsod | August 10, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, Odense is definitely not Ajax or PSV Eindhoven.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 10, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather him go to a club that wants him, and isn't so deep he can get on the pitch, than to a club I can brag about to people who don't care in the first place.

I hope the move works out for him. It has revitalized Feilhaber's career. Sometimes an ego needs a bruising, hopefully Freddy learned his lesson.

Posted by: adamsunited | August 10, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Tip of the hat for that scoop.

I'm just happy that there's a destination, so that I don't have to read the same old Adu stuff over and over.

Posted by: Reignking | August 10, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

O, That this too too solid flesh would melt, Thaw, and resolve itself into Adu.

Posted by: IamAM | August 10, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nairbsod | August 10, 2009 4:36 PM

Well, he has to take this opportunity. I doubt Odense will be paying his wages only to jerk him around (like Benfica and Monaco seemed to). If he plays well this season, then that puts him in the shop window. When does his Benfica contract expire?

Posted by: Kev29 | August 10, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

If it means playing time for the young lad, then great. I worry that the lack of quality in the league will not be challenging enough for him, and he will continue to develop bad habits on the pitch and in training.

Posted by: wjlandis | August 10, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

"I worry that the lack of quality in the league will not be challenging enough for him, and he will continue to develop bad habits on the pitch and in training.

Posted by: wjlandis"

Ditto. Adu is talented enough to get by with his few moments of magic per game in that environment. Personally, I'd rather have seen him stick with Benfica's bench and learn from individuals more talented than he (where he actually was improving prior to his move to Monaco).

But if consistent PT is all that's needed to get him back in the full USMNT picture, there is a silver-lining in this.

Posted by: psps23 | August 10, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I hope it works out for Mr. Adu. (I call him mister even though I am 2 yrs older than him because his Potomac team stomped my Bays team yrs ago in MD State Cup.) I have been taking the positive side of this debate for the past couple weeks and I continue to hope this place rejuvenates Adu. The Scandinavian league has done some good things for US players (Davies, Feilhaber, and Goodsen for some names).

My only wish is that he would have went to a team with at least a Europa League spot. I feel its a huge ask to beat Genoa who were impressive last campaign.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 10, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Taxi for Adu. Next stop, MLS.

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | August 10, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

And Adu manages to stay seaside...

Posted by: Reignking | August 10, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl

Tough to say what Genoa will be like, as they sold Milito.

Posted by: Reignking | August 10, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Seems like a good move for Freddy hopefully he's a starter and gets a lot of games.

Posted by: DCU11 | August 10, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, Wikipedia already have him on their 2009-2010 roster. Take that with a pinch of salt.

Posted by: coreymartin2004 | August 10, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

...meaning someone read this blog entry, went to wikipedia, and stuck Adu on the roster. IT'S WRIT IN GRANITE!

Posted by: the_slammer | August 10, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

This is much Adu about nothing. After all, there is something rotten in the state of Denmark.

DOUBLE FIRST!!!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 10, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Now its time for freddy to put up or shut up, he is going to get plenty of opportunities in the lower level danish league to show his ability, if he doesnt show it then maybe it was never there to begin with.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | August 10, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

well I like this. denmark does have a good league; it certainly did well for charlie davies. adu will get regular time and a shot at europa league. but, as many have said, he needs to produce. i lived in denmark for two years; i doubt any danish club screws around with players the way benfica and monaco have done.

Posted by: troy6 | August 10, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad he landed in the Danish league instead of one of the other Scandinavian leagues. It's the best one.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | August 10, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Odense has an official toaster:

Posted by: addick | August 10, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

DOUBLE FIRST!!!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 10, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

...thereby giving rise to the phrase "over-egging the Cheese Danish."

However, as Freddy bids Adu to the climes of Portugal, is it possible that we may be playing "The Prince of Denmark's March" if he is succesful in Odense?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 10, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Well Davies was in Sweden, but they're all Nordic right? :-)

Posted by: restonhoops | August 10, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

The team doesn't matter (I doubt many people even on this first rate blog can talk extensively about Davies' team). Point is, to get in with the Nat'l Team he needs to do what coach says - play. He needs to accumulate minutes, goals, and creativity to make it to South Africa, and Team USA needs Adu in South Africa.

Posted by: DC0071 | August 10, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Eat me I'm a Danish!

Posted by: Reignking | August 10, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I can live with Odense. The Danish league is proving to be a good place for Yanks where they can thrive. Plus, it's easily adaptable. OB has a slew of good young talent between 22-25 yrs. old mised with some vets like Danish legend Thomas Helveg. They've done well this last few years, too. If this is indeed true, I'm stoked for Adu. It could be a very good situation.

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | August 10, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Good for him. He needs to play and he needs to eat crow for a while in a less competative league. Work hard, keep your mouth shut,check the ego, and perform.

Posted by: hacksaw | August 10, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

did Denmark change its season? I thought they ran a summer season like us.

Posted by: fedssocr | August 10, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Hallelujah. Yes, I know the Dutch league would be better, but Denmark is good enough. Surely he'll get some playing time.

As for those who mention he'll learn sloppy training habits, have you seen that from Feilhaber? I haven't. I think both of them know what playing in this league means, playing time, in form, and I get to play my *&^ off for the world cup roster.

Right now, Freddy Adu, Kenny Cooper, and Eddie Johnson are all standing at the start of the 100 meter dash. They have a season to make it back on the roster. Ready? Go.

Can't wait to see what they'll do.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 10, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I think so of you ate to many Danish cookies. That league is not even on MLS level (well maybe Red Bulls' level). These guys going over seas just to end up in third world leagues are not coming back any better than if they had stayed here.

Posted by: Keith_in_Charlotte | August 10, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Keith, do you even know what third world means? Dennmark was a charter member of NATO and therefore was a founding member of the bi-polar world in which third world countries were outsiders.

and Dennmark's Superliga happens to be a quality league, even if it doesn't produce European champions. The fact that there wont be huge differences in the talent levels from the top 5 players on a team to players 15-20 will (hopefully) mean a lot for Adu's work rate. He wont be a lock to start unless he works, but he's more likely not to start with only flashes of skill in amongst his normal lazy routine. The fact that he might play in a league where at least game plans and tactics are advanced means he'll at least learn something.

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 10, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

From Manchester United and Real Madrid to Odense. Not exactly the career path that Adu figured.

Posted by: Verrazzano | August 10, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Definitely not what he wanted, but if he'd have gone to one of those teams he'd probably have had a major melt down long ago when he realized he was so far back on the depth chart. The only way I see Adu being the player everyone (including me) had hoped is if he has to work hard at all times, but can manage to get consistent playing time in large quantities. Dependability has always been his weak point, and if he can finally figure that one out we might get to see him doing what he does best, which is what other people don't think of in the heat of the game.

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 10, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

There is a lot of talent in Denmark. Not sure about on the field, though.

Posted by: adamsmorgan | August 10, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Eat me I'm a Danish!

Posted by: Reignking | August 10, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse
_________________________________________________

You have sooo just dated yourself! ;)

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | August 10, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Why doesn't Freddy just return to MLS? Is Denmark that much different?

I wonder if Odense could have ever dreamed of signing Freddy after all the hype from his youth. The kid could have learned his trade from Inter Milan's youth program (to be honest, I don't know much about Inter's youth program and have no clue who, if anyone special, has come from their program), but instead he's playing in Denmark.

Posted by: TCompton | August 10, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Freddy return to MLS?

I think of Convey -- really made his mark with a rising squad...and is back in MLS. At least, I think he is. I haven't heard anything about him this year.

SDM: After seeing lyrics here that I've never heard of, I'm sure I'm in the middle :)

Posted by: Reignking | August 11, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

It`s not just the level of quality between Denmark and MLS that is important for Freddy`s growth. It is the european culture, mindset, approach to football that Freddy needs right now. Like Reignking points out, Convey was at his best form when he was with Reading in the Championship. Coming back to MLS has not been good for him and it shows (or doesn`t show) on the field as he has been less than impressive with San Jose. I think much of it has to do with the confidence one gains by staying in europe vs. coming back to the MLS. Freddy needs the confidence and the touches right now.

Posted by: Samuraise | August 11, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

I think it is fair that a dane comments on some of statements in this forum.

First of all the dutch league is maybe 20 percent better than the danish... (Even if you see the last years european results FC Copenhagen won against Ajax CL Qualifi, Odense won 2-0 in the Uefa Cup against Herenveen).

Could it be that som of the European middle clubs have started to doubt Freddy Adu's talent ? Playing in Benfica and Monaco without success.. (you can always say that he havent been given a fairly chance to show what he can. But then again if he is good enough he would play)

Example Djemba Djemba former Nantes, Manchester United and Aston Villa player, joined Odense for around a year ago. He have just signed a new contract with Odense, eventhough he has been rumoured to other bigger clubs.

Could it be that Adu looks at Odense as an "jumpboard" for a chance at one of the Champion Leagues clubs in DK ???

By the way ... MLS is NOT a better league than the danish... :)

Posted by: Gilomano | August 11, 2009 3:51 AM | Report abuse

Hello Americans.
As a supporter of a competing club in Denmark I would just like to add a few words.
This would be a good signing for Odense and I do fear having my teams defense standing head to head with this famous talent.
However the Danish league i quite talented aswell with players from international squads, just below the top10 fifa ranking. Our own current ranking is 15th (actually we've beaten Portugal just recently). The US being placed as 12. Can't remember ever playing against you guys.
If Adu gets started in Denmark I presume he could rise to be one of the star players. For him to become the #1 star in Denmark is higly doubtfull though. Not in a year - there's simply too much talent. Feilhaber from Aarhus isnt a star yet either, allthough he have surprised quite a few with good performances.
The quality of the Danish league is actually quite the same as in Holland, looking apart from the teams Ajax and PSV.
I think Adu will find an easy time adjusting to the Danish culture, since most people in Denmark can understand and talk english on a fair level (quite better than i am writing it, for sure), and besides that, people are friendly and normally keen to help a foreigner.

Regarding the comment about Denmark being a third world country - It did put a smile on my face and reminded me of something about american ignorance :)

Have a good day

Posted by: CasparD | August 11, 2009 4:00 AM | Report abuse

I said at the time he left he wasn't ready for Europe yet and so far I have been proven correct. He should still be in MLS building his game and resume. He would have been better off in the long run.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 11, 2009 4:21 AM | Report abuse

There's quite a few things to this.

First of all, Europe is the place to be, sorry about that americans. There's a reason that your national team select players from all around Europe, even in what you consider less attractive leagues than the MLS.

Imo, MLS is one of the weaker leagues in the world, much much weaker than the danish. The thing about MLS is that they've got a totally different structure from what we in Europe call freedom to express your own policy. There are plenty of rules as it is, no need to put a maximum amount of players, wage and so forth, no top company does that?

Back to soccer:

OB is atm the sole competitor to FCK (Copenhagen), the best nordic club, well ever. FCK is on the level of Ajax, PSV, AZ and whatever from Holland. Only difference is that there is more media watching over the dutch league, but it isn't all that much stronger. In Denmark we have 12 teams, where the 10 best are actually quite competitive, while in Holland there are 4-5 teams very good and a lot of subtop, to even worse.

We have produced quite some talents from Denmark. Mohamed Zidan is playing regularly in Dortmund, Daniel Agger in Liverpool, Christian Poulsen in Juventus and so forth. It is a very good window for a talent to play in Denmark as our league is among the fastest growing in the world atm, after the leagues of Ukraine and Russia.

It would be a firm task for him to even make it on the team. OB has 2 of the strongest attackers in Denmark being Peter Utaka (Brother of Utaka playing in England) and Njogu Demba-Nyrén. He might be able to throw off the ladder though. On the left flank we have one of the biggest danish talents in Johan Absalonsen and it is hardly thinkable that he will be able to overtake that position, seing that we need to play our own talents as well (Plus we know he is extremely good already).

If not Adu bares in mind to fight, he will have nothing to do in the danish league, nor Europe. Only the top techniques can cope with only running with the ball, and you would have to play in Spain, Portugal and France to do that, and that hasn't turned out too well for him.

Bottom line - Danish football would improve Fredy Adu, whether OB is the place to go, might be another question. For me he will have to improve to even play regularly, maybe Brøndby or AaB would be better options for him.

Posted by: SotD | August 11, 2009 5:11 AM | Report abuse

lets get things straight about danish soccer, here are some of the results from the last few years in the European champions league and UEFA cup:

season 08/09:
CL - danish team AaB
AaB - Celtic (scotland) 2-1
AaB - Villareal (spain) 2-2
Celtic - AaB 0-0
Man U (england) - AaB 2-2
AaB qualified for knock out in UEFA cup
AaB - Dep. La Coruna (spain) 3-0
Dep. La Coruna - AaB 1-3
Man. City (england) - AaB 2-0
AaB - Man. City 0-2 (AaB lost on penalties)

FCK in UEFA cup
FCK FC Moscow 3-2
Valencia - FCK 1-1
Club Brugge - FCK 0-1
FCK - Man City 2-2
Man City - FCK 2-1

That was just last year... check out Wikipedia for more results from danish teams the four-five years and you will find that there is a reason why the danish league right now is placed as number 12 in the country ranking of UEFA:

Posted by: prebjarns | August 11, 2009 7:03 AM | Report abuse

The question isn't Denmark or Netherlands. The real question is why has Freddy developed so little in five years. I think it has less to do with the club he is on than with Freddy himself. He is a legend in his own mind and as long as he stays stuck in that mindset, which I think will be forever, he will ride the bench on every club he is on. Remember, Freddy was hardly a factor in MLS, yet he had visions of being on the elite teams of Europe. Sorry, but I see another step in Freddy's slow slide to oblivion. The PR Islanders loom in Adu's future.

Posted by: rcdwriting | August 11, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Hi everybody

Here is some thought from a Odense fan..

I must say when i read this in the internet i first thought it was a prank. Really Freddy Adu is widely known in Denmark as one of the greatest talents in many years. It would ultimately be the biggest scoop ever in the Premier League of Denmark (also called SAS-ligaen)..

Know on about Odense Boldklub.
Odense is, at the moment, the second greatest club in DK. We are the club with the best functional economy, even though not the richest. We have a great, ambitious team with a lot of young players, and a few older more experienced players as Thomas Helveg. OB's sportsdirector (manager of sports is not the same as a coach in DK, one handles buying and selling players, the other obviously coaching and tactics)is Kim Brink and he has quickly established a reputation of getting a lot of scoops and being a great buyer and seller.. He bought Eric Djemba-Djemba former Man Utd star and substitute for Roy Kean.

OB ended second last year, but was close to gold, (and third). Even though were still ambitious and many expects gold this year.. We have 4 national team players, one from Denmark (Anders Moller Christensen), one from Norway (Espen Ruud), one from Cameroun (Eric Djemba-Djemba) and one from Iceland (Rurik Gislason)

I really really really really hope this deal is going through, because Freddy Adu would be a MASSIVE star in Denmark..

Posted by: iiichriiii | August 11, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

First off, I think there are a lot of uninformed comments in this thread.

With that being said, Denmark is a fantastic place for Freddy to rediscover his footballing ability. Denmark is a wonderful country and was recently voted the happiest country in the world. The country has done wonders for Feilhaber and enabled him to experience a renaissance in his game. Assuming Adu puts in the work, there is no reason that he cannot relaunch himself here. AGF knows they cannot hold onto him when the big boys come calling (and they will). The same can be said for Adu, assuming he performs up to expectations.

I really hope this goes through.

Posted by: strago | August 11, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

I hope Freddy finally embraces whatever club he is on and learns to fight for the shirt instead of thinking of moving from team to team as a way to get a nicer shirt all the time. I never figured out why he went to Portugal in the first place instead of Holland or Denmark.

I feel pretty good about where he is going, at least based on some fine Danish folks enlightening us above. I hope his attitude improves so that he can help Odense. Until he helps a club do something, he isn't going to get the respect he seems to think he deserves from international coaches. So far he seems to have been only interested in helping Freddy.
I hope this is the kick in the butt he needs. But for that to be true, he has to have gotten rid of his entourage of people telling him how awesome he is all the time and just learn some soccer tactics :-)

Are Freddy's sponsors available in Denmark - Sierra Mist and Campbell's Soup? ;-)

yeah, I am sure he has different sponsors (if any) by now ... whatever ...

Posted by: dcufan | August 11, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Two reasons Denmark is a better option than MLS:
1. $$$$$ (i suppose i should say Kroners)
2. EuropaLeague/CL (which really means $$$$$)

Posted by: DrewROC | August 11, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

If Adu has doubters in the US, he must have even more in Europe who would be vindicated in their skepticism if the toast of the MLS, the US's wunderkind, were to flop like an oversized flapjack on the sizzling griddle of European football (heh, heh... I kind of like that one).

So maybe he's changed a bit. He's still not likely to learn from wily veterans (his time in DC showed that's not his strong suit), but maybe he's accepted that he's not an exceptional 20 year old who can start in the Champions League, and needs playing time. Or, has he been actually talking with Bob Bradley? In this case, the Bradley mantra of "playing time in Europe" could have been a good motivator for Adu. Maybe Adu (or his advisors) thinks "playing time in Odense 09-10 => brilliant performance at WC 2010 => back to the big leagues 10-11!"

Posted by: Modibo | August 11, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Well done, IamAM

Sorry, JML, IamAM has you beat with a dew/Adu. (The lad doth protest too much, methinks.)

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 11, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Modibo - I think you got it right.

Posted by: nairbsod | August 11, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I wish him luck and hope he has the mental quality to fight for a spot on the starting 11. I've been tracking his progress (really more a lack thereof) since he joined DC United. I continue to believe he is an example of someone very physically advanced for his age who never really improved. He is not fast which for someone his height is a real disadvantage. It strikes me that this is the best place for him to sink or swim.

Posted by: agoldhammer | August 11, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I think this is a good move for him. I think it will get him out on the pitch and get him some touches. That's all he really needs is some game time.

Posted by: dogboy | August 11, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

First off, I think there are a lot of uninformed comments in this thread.

Posted by: strago

Welcome to anything about Freddy Adu. Everyone seems to think they know what is best for him.

Posted by: Reignking | August 11, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I love how this Blog is widely read enough to pull in comments from Danes who know what they're talking about. I enjoy the international perspective. Thanks for making your voices heard!

Posted by: WorldCup | August 11, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WorldCup
===================

Agreed. I appreciate reading their informed comments too.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 11, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

If it wasnt for us the Danes would all be speaking German...or Russian. Thought I would play the ugly American roll since nobody else had.

Posted by: ATPDC | August 11, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm not so sure Adu would be a success in Denmark. Like several have already said - he hasn't shown anything these last 5 years that leads one to think he was anything other than a 15-year old physical specimen for his age.

If his abilities are about what he has shown at Benfica or even if it was one and a half of that - its not gonna go good for him in any of the top 15-20 leagues. This INCLUDES Denmark - but not the MLS.
Odense has a ton of skilled players, and I have no reason to think that any of the players in the US team would get onto the squad without proving their worth. With the exeption of Tim Howard maybe - because Odense just fired their keeper for of-the-pitch stuff.

Adu is gonna have to prove even MLS level if he wants a career in football. He hasen't done so far - not even back when everyone hyped him.

And remember - Odense is not even the biggest club in Denmark. They've shown great form, but only come in fourth looking at the last couple of years.

It's no cakewalk.

Off-topic: If the MLS wants to raise the level of play to that of even the European lower leagues - they need to adopt a system without drafts and with league relegations. There NEEDS to be "bigger teams" for the players to experience true pressure. The american fans aren't exactly helping the problem either. How is a 16 year old gonna make it for Real Madrid if hes only used to perform versus artificially balanced teams and with no noize coming in from the stands? The latter made Benfica probably one of the worst teams in all of europe he could've picked.

Posted by: pille | August 11, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

As much as it's interesting to hear the Danish perspective, it's clear that not all of them know much about MLS. No Noize coming from the stands? Relegation? Not happenin'.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 11, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. That last comment about relegation improving the level of play confuses me. Not sure it's fron a Dane though, not with words like "noize" and "gonna."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 11, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I also appreciate the Danish comments. And the enthusiasm that some of those comments have shown for Adu. Rather than comment on the Danish league (about which I know nothing), I'll just say that I hope those positive Danish posters don't end up disappointed. Because I fear that there's a serious risk that they will be.

I've watched Adu since his days with DC United. On the one hand, he does show the "spark" that really makes a good offensive player. Good touch, good moves, and a clear ability to finish. I remember his performance for the Screaming Eagles in a friendly against Celtic back in 2006 (is that right? was it that long ago?) where he made the opposing side look silly. Of course, it was brutally hot and humid which must have sapped the (pre-season) Scottish side, but Freddy's offensive skills were clear.

On the other hand, he also lacks qualities that make a complete player. Pathetic, if any, defense when he's playing in the midfield. Little ability to involve his teammates. Middling speed. And now it sounds, fairly or not, like he lacks the attitude and motivation to move to the next level.

My suspicion is that regardless of where he plays now, Adu won't live up to his previous hype. Some might argue that he's only 20 and has a big opportunity to grow. I would argue that by 20, most major players have established themselves. My prediction is that Adu will end up muddling around in various mid-level leagues, but will never become the "American Pele" that was predicted. Perhaps that prediction was unfair. But he'll have that around his neck forever, and I don't think that he's shown any evidence that he'll get anywhere close to it, regardless of where he plays.

Posted by: mannewskie | August 11, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

All- Some facts about Mr.Adu. He has been a professional since the 2004 season with DC United. He has accumulated 125 appearances with 22 goals. For the senior US side he has 15 appearances with 2 goals. His club appearances have declined since his leaving DC United where it appears he had issues with the coaching staff. He had 87 appearances and 11 goals with the US senior team. If you looked at these stats without knowing who they belonged to, along with the player's vital statistics, you could reasonably conclude that his career as a star was in danger of terminal decline. I understand the fact that he seemed to get caught up in some weird political situation in Benfica and Monaco but if he were as good as advertised, he would have seen more playing time than this. All of his senior team coaches have limited his playing time. There must be a reason, they can't all be idiots.

From a playing perspective he has special skills but I don't believe he is able to consistently reproduce them week in and week out. Perhaps his biggest flaw, other than his mental attitude, is the fact that he is small, not fast and puny. I've seen enough of him the feel as if most good teams would easily handle him. Everyone says he is 20 and has time but he isn't going to get much faster and he isn't going to get much taller and there are new younger, cheaper gunslingers in town every year. 20 is old for someone in Europe who hasn't shown a command of the basics, either on or off the field. Look at Macheda;at 17 he could be a star striker for Man U this season.

More than anything Adu needs a good club coach to take time with him and rebuild his confidence and skills. Personally I believe that is more likely to happen in Europe than the MLS and he'll make more money there.

He was overhyped mercilessly since the day he started and those expectations have haunted him ever since but at some point Adu has to rise above this and find the right people to help him save his career.

Posted by: jimmygreaves | August 12, 2009 1:35 AM | Report abuse

"He had 87 appearances and 11 goals with the US senior team"

Correction - "with the DC United senior team."

Posted by: jimmygreaves | August 12, 2009 1:37 AM | Report abuse

What stands out to me about Adu is that he is physically small, and when he plays Premier league quality players they are as fast as he and bigger. So he gets pushed around. His brother will have a more successful career

Posted by: anti1 | August 12, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

"Little ability to involve his teammates."

This is just a patently ridiculous statement. No basis in reality whatsoever. Even in his "bad games" Adu still has among the highest pass rate % on the team. He is always involving teammates and making killer passes. anyone who disagrees or is unsure can just watch some of his games online.

Posted by: Blue12 | August 12, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"If his abilities are about what he has shown at Benfica"

You mean averaging a goal/75 minutes and being one of their most popular players?

To the Danish fans, don't judge Adu based on these commentators. He's one of the most popular players in America. Go to Bigsoccer (biggest American soccer site) if you want to hear from more people or you watch him online.

Posted by: Blue12 | August 12, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Freddy's career is seemingly on the same path as Landon Donovan except Freddy seems more willing to stick out his European adventure.

He has the tools to succeed in Europe and be a major contributor for the US team. I think a coach has to find a way to use him effectively (he doesn't seem to have a true position. He's not a striker and he's not a midfielder). He doesn't fit into Bradley's defense first set-up.

He has to make his game more well-rounded, get faster and stronger. He looks sluggish and not confident at all. Maybe that's because he hasn't played in a year or so. He definitely needs to play with more desire, energy and focus and force coaches to select him.

Posted by: Solnoir | August 12, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

A shout from Denmark:
Someone wrote "OB is not ajax or eindhoven." Thats true, but they´re getting very close to this level very fast. OB have solid quality players across the board, they play fast and agressive - no teams in Denmark want to play them at the moment. Right now they´re a top 3-club in Scandinavia, in my opinion.

The danish league is small, but has decent quality and the best teams are doing great in european football right now. Ajax and Benfica have both lost to Danish teams in the past few years :-). Man United, Man City, Celtic, Schalke 04, Lokomotiv Moscow and Hamburg likewise. Its not THAT bad.

If OB can get by Genoa, Adu will get a lot of european matches to show off in this season, thereby inciting a move to a bigger club. Or a chance at the Champions League next year, should he choose to stay. The first two clubs in the danish league will get CL qualifying matches next year, and OB will no doubt be among them. A year or two here could do wonders for his career and I think it would certainly be a better move than withering away on the bench at Benfica (who aren´t very good these days anyway).

OB is probably unknown to American fans, but you could compare it to a move to a club like Anderlecht, Basel, Feyenoord, Standard Liege, Galatasaray or Hamburg - just below the best.

Finally: I support another team, so mr. Adu, please stay away :-)

Posted by: Babbaganoosch | August 14, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse