Alonso, Altidore, Wambach

*Real Madrid's wild spending spree continues as the club purchases midfielder Xabi Alonso from Liverpool. Organizers of Real's North American trip this weekend are optimistic he will be here for the friendlies against Toronto FC on Friday and D.C. United on Sunday.

*Hull City is coming after USA striker Jozy Altidore, who will be loaned out by Villarreal again this season.

*An historic moment in WPS: Freedom forward Abby Wambach was named July's player of the month to become the first American to earn the honor in the league's debut season. The previous winners were Kelly Smith (England), Sonia Bompastor (France) and Camille Abily (France). Wambach had four goals and an assist in five matches.

Be sure to join me late tonight for DCU-Firpo discussion.....

By Steve Goff  |  August 4, 2009; 2:34 PM ET
Categories:  England , Freedom , Real Madrid , Spain , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Kickaround
Next: Matchnight: United-Firpo

Comments

I have also heard that Real Madrid have purchased unicorns. Seriously, how can they possibly have this much money? It all sounds totally illegal.

Hull City= better than Olympiakos, take it. He'll likely get minutes in a much faster league, it will develop all the right skills.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 4, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Abby. To say the least, she had a good month(#100).

Posted by: sitruc | August 4, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like a North and Central American night...

Jozy at Hull - well, Fulham, Hull, and Everton would lead the TV choices by FSC.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 4, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

From Fulham's website:

In honour of Brian McBride, the all-American hero who captained the Club to the dramatic Great Escape of 2008, we are delighted to announce that our SW6 Sports Bar will be renamed McBride’s from next season.

The American striker, who was twice named Fulham’s Player of the Season during his time at Craven Cottage, made over 150 appearances for the Whites and scored 40 goals. He bid farewell to Fulham at the end of the 2007/08 season after four and a half years outstanding service.

The Lounge is a fitting tribute to Brian McBride, whose unquestionable commitment and bravery earned him the respect of everyone associated with the Club.

For more information on McBride’s or any of our other hospitality restaurants and lounges, call our hospitality team NOW on 020 8336 7555, email hospitality@fulhamfc.com or view our new 2009/10 Hospitality Brochure.|

Posted by: OWNTF | August 4, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Hull is an awful, awful idea.

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Fulham is on the come up and he could develop some chemistry with dempsey. He wont get enough playing time at everton even though that is the most desirable club.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | August 4, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

While it would be nice for Jozy to head to England, I'm afraid he wouldn't get much service at Hull City.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | August 4, 2009 3:01 PM

Very cool - thanks for the heads up, OWNTF

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Jozy to Hull I think is a better move than Jozy to Olympiakos.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | August 4, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Reignking, why exactly is Hull and awful, awful idea?

Jozy gets to play, possibly start, in the premier league for an entire season, for a team that desperately needs goals? (They play ugly football, but survived because their team held together better than, say, Newcastle).

Plus, seeing as people are so down on his lack of work ethic, why is is it bad that he would have to WORK against some of the toughest defenders available on the planet? If the US refuses to focus on possession and interplay, it's better that Jozy get used to going it alone.

The Greek league, on the other hand, is a very soft one, the Israeli league is the only one that is more retirement related.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 4, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Ditto what Kev29 said.

Posted by: KireDCU | August 4, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Real Madrid's new Starting XI?

---------Casillas---------
Arbeloa-Ramos-Pepe-Marcelo
---Xabi_Alonso--Diarra----
C.Ronaldo---Kaka---Benzema
-----------Raul-----------

The bench includes Dudek, Albiol, Gago, Guti, Higuain, and half of the Dutch national team. No matter what happens in the win-loss column, this team won't be boring.

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | August 4, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Hull is relegation fodder.
There are Spanish clubs interested.
All the other clubs...tough to say. They sound good, but what really matters is quality playing time. Gut feeling is that St. Etienne is a good place to get that PT.

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Hull City should be OK for Jozy. I agree that they will be relegated, but that should force them to make changes to the line-up and, if Jozy is prepared, he could distinguish himself and fetch a pretty penny on the post-season transfer market.

Of course, if Chest disagrees, then whatever I wrote was done under the influence of drugs (aspirin).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 4, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Miles_Standish (nice reference, BTW),

If they have to go to Dudek at all during the year, there's going to be a lot more happening in the Loss column than the Win.

Posted by: Kenobi | August 4, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Easy, I-270. That aspirin is heady stuff.

Posted by: Kenobi | August 4, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Dudek will see the pitch in these friendlies, and the Copa del Rey, that's all.

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

So... put him out on a one year loan. Easy peezy. That is what Villareal had in mind, surely.

As for Spanish clubs interested, if they don't show more interest AND more money, than we don't want Jozy going there.

Remember the last time he was loaned out to a Spanish team? We need him playing... I'd say yesterday, but that isn't right. We needed him playing last season.

Freddy right now is desperately trying to disentangle himself from a bad situation. He's there because Benfica bought him cheap, and didn't value him.

Finally, that's amazing for McBride. A great leader.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 4, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I see the preferred 11 for Real Madrid as

==========Casillas==========

Ramos==Pepe===Albiol==Arbeloa

=========Alonso/Lass*========

Ronaldo=====Kaka======Robben

=======Benzema==Raul=========

*Either or

I mean, it's the old "You'll score 3, we'll score 5, so we win" thing, but still... I worry about this team in Champion's league still, though. Other than Raul, Casillas, and Lass (I suppose Alonso and Higuain, too), where does the toughness required come in? Can Pellegrini instill that in them? Will the egos of the three behind the strikers cause problems? Can Pellegrini keep that in check?

I see La Liga basically coming down the the two Clasicos, which I suppose it does every year, but really, this team and Barca don't drop more than 12 points each to the rest of the league, do they? It may even go down to goal differential.

And United Demon, they got loans for the Ronaldo deal, and doing whatever else for the rest of these players.

And when discussing the bench, don't forget Negredo coming back from loan, too.

I'd prefer Jozy to Fulham over the others. Everton isn't happening, and I want him to at least half the game be playing the ball on the ground, and Fulham tries to, Hull (other than Geovanni or whoever that Brazilian is), doesn't.

Awesome news for McBride, really cool.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 4, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

The AFL disappeared today. The MLSPA is making big claims in their CBA negotiations. The fans want the caps to go up, especially if I'm on here ranting about losses in Central America tonight. Single Entity is the savior.

Goff - what does The Pope have to say?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 4, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

And Sep Blatter has the nerve to say anyone trying to copy Man City will go broke. Yeah, Sep, ignore the giant LPB elephant in the room why don't you? Just like Chelsea was bad for football with its spending, how about LPB (Real Madrid) and its spending?

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | August 4, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

OT: I'm not sure if this is live or not, but my brother just came in and said Bolt just ran a 19.5 second 200, into a meter/second headwind, in the rain.

W.T.F...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 4, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"The AFL disappeared today"

So it's just "CIO" now?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 4, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd have to disagree that Hull are certain to be relegated.

It will be a difficult test, no doubt, but I think they're the kind of club that has enough fight to stay up. A club with that type of personality would do Jozy much better than Olympiakos.

As others have said, he'd also be facing some of the best defenders in the World on a daily basis.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 4, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

@I-270Exit1,

Um, if there's any AFL(-CIO) I despise the most - it's the crooks whose offices I see everyday just over the Starbucks and right before the White House.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 4, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I admit to knowing next to nothing about Hull City beyond that they wear tiger stripes. But I hope Altidore would see more of the ball there than Feilhaber saw when he was at Derby County. One of the worst pro games I ever saw was relegation candidate West Brom a few years ago playing w everyone way behind the ball and Kanu all alone (sorry I meant to type ALL ALONE!!!) up top and rarely getting within 25 yards of the ball.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 4, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Goff - what does The Pope have to say?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 4, 2009 4:20 PM

Hey - tip of the cap to Phil Anshutz, Doug Garber, etc. For making sure that MLS hasn't made such an announcement. In the early years of MLS, I thought the AFL was a positive role model for the league (in terms of niche markets). Now it's flying way past it.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29,

Agree. However, I'm less worried that the finances of the league will sink it. I'm more worried about the ability of the league to be conservative yet add to its base enough to keep things interesting here and stave off the advancements of Europe on our soil.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 4, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Will be interesting to see if this summer of spending leads to any real changes in either the salaries paid or the transfer fees laid out by clubs in the future. I've heard about some interesting alternatives, but would seem to go against the accepted culture of European soccer. Perhaps if an entire league, such as Serie A, is unable to compete in CL that would push discussions forward?

Do you folks think this is any different from the past? If so, what are the chances of change in the future?

Posted by: teamn | August 4, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Hull will most certainly be relegated. If he goes I hope it is just on loan. Last December Hull City were in 5th (maybe 6th). Then the miraculously dropped all the way to to 17th and beat the drop by one point. They also had the worst points total of any team in the second half. The only reason the survived was down to their first half performance. Phil Brown is also a terrible manager. (Possibly the second worst manager in the world only in front of this Mr. Sohen character everyone keeps saying should be fired.)

I don't particularly like this move, but if its a loan move then I am okay with it.

As to DadRyan, I got to get up early tomorrow so Union Jacks is out of the question. As I want to be in bed within minutes after the final whistle.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 4, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm.
Hey VBB you happen to work at K&L Gates perhaps?
The ol' courier in me using a little deductive reasoning...

Posted by: DadRyan | August 4, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Hull will most certainly be relegated. If he goes I hope it is just on loan.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 4, 2009 5:13 PM

Really? Do you have any surefire tips for me, I'm going to Atlantic City next week?

I think any three from Birmingham, Burnley, Blackburn, Hull, Portsmouth, Stoke or Wolves could go down. Weren't Newcastle too big to go down last season? And Hull too small to stay up? That's why they play the 38 matches.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh and this Real Madrid team is going to be an utter failure. What is the team shape? Real Madrid is so political (see Cannavaro's interview on Sky about it) Raul will be guaranteed games yet him and Benzema play in the same manner. (Dropping deep and joining the midfield play). Who is going to be an out and out striker? You can't play both of them up top. Also neither of them work hard on the defensive side. And Ronaldo I think became the first player ever to play in the English Premier league and never to record a tackle.

That doesn't even include Kaka who likes to roam free and find space. Funny I just mentioned that because that's what Benzema has made his name on.

I also say Ronaldo cries once he figures out he will not be the constant center of attention. I mean Alfred Adler would have a field day on Ronalo's inferiority complex.

I say they still finish 2nd but lose in the round of 16 in the UCL. Equaling last season performance but a whole lot more expensive.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 4, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

HAHA grubbs -- Adler -- Ronaldo is a youngest child. Did you already know that?

Posted by: OWNTF | August 4, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

W.T.F...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 4, 2009 4:26 PM
_________________________________

Used my Google-fu and could not find anything on the web about this. Even went to Reuters. If true though, can you say "PED"? Say it with me: P. E. D.

Posted by: Becks_for_prez | August 4, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Jozy tweet: he's traveling to England tomorrow.

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Did he say where in England? This could all be a smokescreen and he ends up in S-(that which cannot be posted)-thorpe United.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 4, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Real Madrid finally got rid of someone -- Míchel Salgado. Going to Zaragoza or Qatar.

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Becks_for_prez,

Yams are a helluva drug. :)

Posted by: B_A_ | August 4, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, the three English clubs with swear words in their names. Arsenal, Sc*nthorpe and Manchester f*cking United :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

It would be a very bad choice for Altidore to go to Hull. He is TOO slow for EPL.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 4, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else having audio problems with FSC? Keeps cutting out every few seconds.

Posted by: addick | August 4, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

addick, I'm getting the same thing...grade school production by FSC as usual..

Posted by: the_slammer | August 4, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

From DCU Twitter:

DCU lineup for tonight vs. Firpo (3-5-2): Wicks; Namoff, Jakovic, Burch; Quaranta, Olsen, Wallace, Fred, Gomez; Emilio, Moreno.

Posted by: addick | August 4, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

From the DCU site:

Wicks

Namoff-Jakovic-Burch

Quaranta-Olsen-Gomez-Wallace-Fred

Moreno-Emilio

Bench:
Kocic-John-McTavish-Jacobson-Szetela-Pontius-Janicki

Posted by: Section117 | August 4, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Sorry addick, my chubby fingers cause latency.

Posted by: Section117 | August 4, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Well, they aren't messing around anymore. Those are the big guns. No excuse if we manage to lose this one.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 4, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

been busy with rat catching and dinner....;-)
Just sat down to see if any hot new newz has broken.. Thanks for the sharp eyes addick.
I'm perfectly fine with this line up, maybe Party Boy comes in late at puts the final nail in the coffin for Firpo!
Vamos United!!!!!
Come on boys!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 4, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

thanks addick,
I was going to post that but typing it on a phone would have taken a while. This and what is posted on the twitter dcu site are my only way of following the game tonight. I don't need a play by play but general trends would be thought kindly of.
GO UNITED!!

Posted by: evanskr521 | August 4, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Excellent news on the starting lineup, I hope it's not just a fake tweet from Namoff's cousin's hairdresser's uncle.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 4, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know who the commentators will be for the game? I need to know whether I should listen to the radio or not.

Posted by: spikeman | August 4, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, Firpo's fansite earlier today said their coach intended to start the same XI as last week:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 4, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Shannon Boxx M - Los Angeles Sol United States
Lori Chalupny M - Saint Louis Athletica United States
Kelly Smith M - Boston Breakers England
Eniola Aluko F - Saint Louis Athletica England
Marta F - Los Angeles Sol Brazil

Posted by: sitruc | August 4, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

So looks like the great coach Tom Sohn never see the effect of 442.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 4, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Come on DCUnitedFootball.... I know you're probably finishing your 13th beer and all(just like me!) but Firpo is far and wide a different club than Houston. Can you at least save the Grumpy Dwarf negativity til' the half? Sheesh.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 4, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Re: Commentators

FSC has the "B" team calling the TFC vs Islanders match with Keith Costigan filling in for Brian Dunseth.

So I'm assuming we'll have those who shall not be named calling the DCU match.

Posted by: addick | August 4, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Hull, if they play a different brand of soccer, would be fine. However, I see them playing their awful version of the game, sitting 19th or 20th come November, and being one of the first teams to fire their coach. It's not an ideal situation. However, if it's "Jozy playing regularly at Hull" or "Jozy gets loaned to any club that won't play him for whatever reason", then Hull wins easily. However, if he can get to Fulham, a Spanish club that will use him, or several other suitors, I'd lean that way. Playing forward at Hull gives you little time to actually be engaged in playing soccer. You spend all your time chasing rather than using the ball.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 4, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

anyone else having issues with FSC? it keeps crapping out on FiOS.

Posted by: fedssocr | August 4, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey, so, storms cancelled softball early, and I'm here allll night baby! Whooooo! Now only if TFC-PRI didn't bore me so.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 4, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I know he'll end up asking for a change of jockstrap or something, but, Gaudette impresses me with his reflexes again.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 4, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope we're wrong about the team's ability to use the 3412 without Simms. Wallace at least has similar physical skills (speed, strength) and the same dynamic approach. All is not lost.

Plus, to repeat myself, isolating Leguizamon against a defender is a lot easier when we have McTavish on a bad night playing there. Namoff, horror show in Houston aside, should be much stronger.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 4, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

The Spanish announcer is shocked that wasn't a penalty in Toronto's favor.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 4, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the Goffer followed my advice / plea and is on his way to Portugal to help Mr. Adu with his writing skillz. God speed! You can't get there fast enough!

Posted by: diego_r | August 4, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Wicks

Namoff-Jakovic-Burch

Quaranta-Olsen-Gomez-Wallace-Fred

Moreno-Emilio

Bench:
Kocic-John-McTavish-Jacobson-Szetela-Pontius-Janicki

Posted by: Section117

**************************

For those clamoring for a 4-4-2 it's pretty easy to switch this lineup back and forth on the fly. Just drop Wallace back to left back to convert to a 4-4-2 although that may leave Olsen having to do too much running and tackling.

Gomez plays best in a 3-5-2.

Hopefully the quality of our lineup tonihgt will be enough to score goals and keep the pressure on Firpo and we won't have to worry about the arguments of what formation we were playing!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 4, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

That's a pretty attack-oriented lineup. We do need at least one goal tonight.

I sure hope Soehn is ready to face the huge wave of criticism for not using a 4-4-2 if we lose tonight.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 4, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Good night Marvelle Wynne is fast.

Sometimes things are so amazing you have to say the obvious to get the effect it deserves.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 4, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Bully for the Islanders.

Posted by: Section117 | August 4, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Grass looks really long down there. Playing quickly enough though.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

He completely stopped!! What a horrible ref.

Posted by: spikeman | August 4, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Christian! Golazooooooo!!!

And he totally stopped on the penalty. Awful.

Posted by: CYork1 | August 4, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse