Americans Abroad

Marco Vidal 90 in Indios' 1-1 tie with Atlas
Danny Califf didn't play in Midtjylland's 1-0 loss at Aalborg
Frank Simek not in 18 for Sheffield Wednesday's 3-1 win at Plymouth
Hunter Freeman not in 18 in Start's 1-0 loss to Brann
MIDFIELDERS
Clint Dempsey 90 in Fulham's 2-0 loss at Aston Villa
Michael Bradley not in 18 (coach decision) in Moenchengladbach's 2-0 win over Mainz
Benny Feilhaber 70 in Aarhus' 2-0 win at Nordsjaelland
Eddie Johnson 14 in Fulham's 2-0 loss at Aston Villa
Matt Taylor 2 FSV Frankfurt's 3-0 loss at Aachen
Mike Grella in 18, didn't play in Leeds' 2-1 win at Colchester
Marcus Tracy didn't play in Aalborg's 1-0 win over Midtjylland

By Steve Goff  |  August 30, 2009; 4:38 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Wicks-Burch Moment
Next: MLS Playoff Race

Comments

The fact that Goff had to continue the listing on a second page says something about how far soccer has come in this country. Twenty years ago, Soccer America could summarize an entire month's listing of US players abroad in less space. Wonder where we'll be in another 20 years?

Posted by: Curious99 | August 30, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Lots of guys playing this week, many in losing efforts, but hey as Cosmo Kramer says - "I'll take it!"

EJ gets 14, huh? I thought with AJ being out this would be his chance to rise to the occassion. Is EJ really that bad? How can he not break into that side? I mean what's taking him so long? What gives?

And oh yeah, FYI, Davies was fouled in the box resulting in the PK which gave Sochaux the win.

Thanks for keeping us in the know, Goff.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 30, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Obviously all the top US talent will be in the US and scrubs will be sent to other countries for playing time since MLS will be the world's top league in 20 years, Curious99...

Posted by: sitruc | August 30, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

EJ is basically 4th/5th choice striker right now. Fulham has Kamara, Zamora, Nevland, and even Dempsey to fulfill those roles ahead of EJ. I think him just stepping on the field speaks volumes to his improvement abroad. Still don't want to see him in the US national fold though. If he scores some goals then certainly, but right now I put Altidore, Davies, Donovan, and even Cooper ahead of him.

I wonder what this means for M. Bradley? He is certainly good enough to play in most top flight teams. I would even argue anywhere from the 6-12 position of teams in the a top flight division would want him. Is this a one game problem or is this something that could mean a transfer before the deadline?

If Milan keeps playing this poorly Gooch will get a chance sooner or later.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 30, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Great start for the WPS All-Stars as they are down 1-0 to Umea in the second minute...

Posted by: sitruc | August 30, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

uh-oh, the dreaded "coaches decision"

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | August 30, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Wonder where we'll be in another 20 years?
Posted by: Curious99
==============

sitruc beat me to it but...

In 20 years the title will be "Foreigners in MLS."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 30, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I think this actually helps Onyewu. Milan need to realize as soon as possible that Milan losing this year has nothing to do with the fact that he is employed by them. Once that happens, he'll get a chance to come forward.

What does Jozy need to get a start?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 30, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

If Milan keeps playing this poorly Gooch will get a chance sooner or later.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 30, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I hope so but Nesta played really well for the most part.

Posted by: spikeman | August 30, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

What does Jozy need to get a start?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 30, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Better fitness? I hear he's still not 100% match ready yet.

Posted by: kdiff813 | August 30, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

saw the tigres game

man the crowd doesn't seem to like Castillo...the most visibly boo-ed player on the field...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 30, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

@grubbsbl Interesting thought about Michael Bradley.

Does anyone have any insights into why Bradley was held out of the lineup for Moenchengladbach?

Posted by: billindmd | August 30, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

grubbsbl -

I know the players that are in front or Eddie, its just - and I must admit it's been a while since I last saw EJ play - Kamara, Zamora and Nevland can be just as impotent and wasteful infront of goal. That's why I'm having a hard time placing EJ's progress, as that was one of the main knocks on him - poor finsher of chances. As I recall he has the speed and strength. But I admit it has been a while since I've seen EJ do the business, and I could be rating Kamara, Zamora and Nevland against the juggernaughts I watch week in and week out.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 30, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Good thing we don't meet the RedBulls anymore, they look like a team that is intent on doing one thing - the only thing - they can do right now, which is to poo-poo all over other teams' playoff aspirations. Not that The Crew are in any sort of trouble right now, but I pitty the team that faces these guys needing points for the playoff scenario...

...or this could just be a "new coach scent" deal.

We shall see, we shall see.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 30, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know the WPS-Ikea score? Can't find it on line and the WPS site, when it finally loads, doesn't have it.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 30, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

WPS All-Stars score 4 unanswered and win 4-2. For years I thought FSC was unprofessional. Then I watched the WPS All-Star game... That was a new low. Katie Witham stole the show once again and even joined in with the 80s dance party. Katie was kinda like Berlino was to the IAAF World Championships.

Posted by: sitruc | August 30, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

never mind WPS 4 - Ikea 2

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 30, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh. Thanks sitruc.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 30, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm bored, so:

Americans Abroad played 1779 minutes out of a possible 2790* or 63.8% of total time.

* Excludes not in the 18, Monday's game, and Guzan (only 90 possible American minutes, not 180).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 30, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

You're starting to act suspiciously like a Sounders fan 270....
Step away from the calculator nerd. ;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 30, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible that Bradley was held out of the 18 because he is being sold?

Posted by: glfrazier | August 30, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

delightful juve display.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 30, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Freddy?

Posted by: Cossackathon | August 30, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Just realized that after DCU hosts the Sounders in the cup final, the Sounders will return for a league match without Ljungberg due to card accumulation. Sure would be nice to beat them twice in DC.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 30, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Juve's display was beautiful. Except for Melo's unnecessary celebration after he tackled a Roma player which resulted in a Roma corner. He just looked foolish, it wasn't even an impressive tackles. His goal, well brilliant. I know Diego had two wonderful goals but Melo's energy and passing was completely dominate. Juve are going to be real force in Italy and in Europe. It is sad to say this but Cannavaro is the weakest link in the back line.

I have always big a fan of Italian football. I know many don't like it for its slow methodical play but I will watch any bottom of the table Italian match over Stoke v Bolton -a game where if you see two consecutive passes you have seen 67 percent of a teams possession. Today's game was a great advert for Serie A.

Nesta played well but Thiago Silva looked awful -a good sign for Gooch. Milan's main problem is their midfield is so old, slow, and useless that it over exposes its backline.

Kosh, your right about all of Fulham's strikers being terrible in front of the net. Unfortunately, if EJ still is, which I bet he is, why would Roy Hodgson swap EJ for Zamora who at least has experience in missing EPL chances, with EJ who has no experience in missing EPL chances?

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 30, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

1. this column is great. Any chance we could have a forum so that we can post by topic? There is a lot of great stuff in here (both from Goff and user submitted too), but it is hard to find after the fact... I know that there are many sites out there similar, but I am coming here all the time now...

2. Can anyone point me to articles or links that try and explain why america produces such great 'keepers? I think i know, but I'd be interested to see whats out there? Also, seems like we have produced a few world class players at the Donovan/Dempsey position...whatever that is....

3. What's up with Gio Dos Santos? He is good and I'd love to see him get on the field this year?

4. Also, I hope freddy latches on, but beginning to think he might be a never was. Hope im wrong...he's young.

5. DC United needs a serious overhaul in the offseason, regardless of what happens from here on out (playoffs? championship vs LA?!).
Fred's gotta go.
They need to decide if they can live peacefully with Szetela or not. Otherwise it's just a headache for everyone
Other people need to be offered back...but at reasonable/reduced prices so we can sign some quality. How many of any current national team players do we have?

Additions: Maybe a guy like heath pearce. I don't know if he signed on somewhere...my point is....guys with national team/international experience.

Stadium
I am not sure if mine is the minority or majority position, but I want us to stay at RFK. If anything is done, then just build a soccer stadium on the grounds of that site. RFK is cool. The orange bowl in miami was cool. You can't replace the vibes that these places have. Going to redskins games in "Landover" is not an organic atmosphere. It feels so contrived.

If you need to install "boxes" to attract corporate, then just hook up the mezzanine a little bit.

Sure, it's not White Hart Lane or the Camp Nou, or even EasyCredit-Stadion or Fritz-Walter-Stadion.

I never agree with how stadium deals are handled as a taxpayer. If you want to build something and rake in profits on it, then the city should get equity in the team if they put up a ton. It is deplorable that these stadium deals get approved just so the city executives get nice paydays from the team after they have left their public positions (wayne curry et al w/ redskins).

Where are the economic and attendance projections for the Nationals and how does it compare with reality now that we are a few years in. I can almost gurarantee that they are waaaay underperforming. Surely, they'll blame it on unforseen economic conditions? Can Goff write a baseball column and relate it to what is going to be done with DC united stadium.

It is just hard for me to think that you can't make RFK profitable. They need to up their business acumen a bit over there. It's a bit amateur...

Posted by: wordup1 | August 31, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the regular update on Americans playing overseas, Goff. Great to keep up with the boys abroad, and the list just keeps getting longer!

Posted by: bartapest1 | August 31, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Sounders!!!

That first Cup is gonna be SOOOOO nice!

Posted by: SoundersMob | August 31, 2009 6:16 AM | Report abuse

Keep dreaming SoundersKnob.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 31, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

@kdiff813

You say that Altidore is not 90 minutes fit. What are you basing this on? Did the coach or himself make comments regarding his fitness?

Posted by: no_recess | August 31, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Freddy?

Posted by: Cossackathon | August 30, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

=====================

Not in not in the 18.

Would expect news today if there is to be any movement, no?

Posted by: OWNTF | August 31, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

That's what he said on twitter a few days ago, OWNTF.

Posted by: sitruc | August 31, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

wordup1, I hear White Hart Lane is in worse condition than RFK and that's why Spurs are building a new stadium.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | August 31, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Hi CACuzcatlan...

Hmm...It's been about a decade since I've been there. I guess what I was referring to was the fact that there is hardly a bad seat in the house and you are VERY close to the action. As far as the structural integrity or anything like that, I do not know...True, I had heard they were rebuilding. Thanks

That has been one of the gripes about RFK is that some seats are obstructed and most seats are too far from the pitch. But considering it is so big, I am sure that there are at least 30,000 "good" seats in RFK and the rest can be discounted.

This 12 dollar special for the OPEN cup is awesome though. Finally, something to fill the stands...RFK has a great atmosphere when full. Anyone remember US vs. Ireland back in the US Open cup? Is that the right tourney name? Roy Wegerle days.... man, that was a cool game to go to...

Posted by: wordup1 | August 31, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse